• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part 2 : REMASTERED |OT| If somehow a tenner gave me a second chance at that moment... I would do it all over again

King Dazzar

AI generated?
Qo63LyI.png
Yeah, he typed in ugly psychotic woman, with male physique & serious personality issues, and voila... a wank shot for sick Spukc Spukc was made.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Depends on what exactly the issue is. "Writing" is pretty general.
A lot of it seems "forced", some of it is actually cheesy.
I miss the 90s, when you would have a single screen with text telling the basic of the story and went straight to playing the game.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
You know what's "funny" gents ? The fact that even the people that already played/completed the game feel like they're (re)discovering America upon revisiting it - a testament to the game's quality even 4 years later...

In fact, barring some other mega-hits like RDR2 etc, nothing comes even close to this game when it comes to attention to detail, animations, sheer brutality, voice acting, cutscene direction and fantastic, emergent gameplay (only MGSV tops it when it comes to all the available options).

What's really funny is that wariorz® from the other side continue to label these games as "walk and talk and brick throwing simulators ®"...
This game has it all, yes, it's cutscene heavy but there's LOTS of gameplay here, more so than other "non cinematic" games in fact.

As for me...I finished the game on PS5 (patched) about a year ago and this "remaster" - even if I can get it for just a tenner - can't sway me (for the time being at least) to replay it, there's just not enough there for me to revisit it and the rogue lite mode doesn't excite me since I find all these out of context scenarios exactly that, "out of context".

I agree that this shouldn't have been called a "remastered " but instead a "definitive edition" or something along these lines, there's no real/substantial graphical touch-ups, the lost levels are just out of context extras and the no return mode is something that doesn't interest me.
Talking about no return, since they cancelled the factions project, they could have at least put a 2 player co-op mode which would have made the package more desirable.

Anyway, amazing, amazing game, it's just that it didn't need to be "remastered" and all the new extras are not enough to entice people to upgrade - personal opinion and all that...

Cheers

Feels more like a Directors Cut to me with the deleted scenes and commentary

King Dazzar

I miss the 90s, when you would have a single screen with text telling the basic of the story and went straight to playing the game.
Yeah I know what you mean. Some games can be a bit too cut scene heavy and full of busy work which almost makes you feel like its work playing them. But to be fair to The Last Of Us, it pretty much is what it says on the tin imo. A third person story driven adventure.

King Dazzar

Yeah, seems a lot of writers this gen take more time to say less. :lollipop_confounded:
With The Last Of Us, I think they do a lot of the game play chatter to make it more immersive whilst actually playing, rather than too many cut scenes. For me it works. But just like watching a TV box set. If you dont like the characters or writing etc, then its likely just to irritate you.

Kindela

Banned
I finished the game on PS4 when it released. Had my ps+ active at that time and the saves got uploaded, naturally.
But a few weeks back I've cancelled my ps+ subscription and forgot to download any saves I've had there. So my tlou 2 remastered version is as if I've never played it.
I don't care about trophies or my previous saves to be honest, but holy shit is this ridiculous. My saves are in some ps limbo until I spend at least 10 or so euros to download them. Disgusting.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

I don't like Roguelites at all. I hate the genre and I hate the modes in games. But I'm actually liking No Return just because of the progression. Got past useless Dina and working to unlock Joel now.
Thats good to know, because usually I'd avoid too. Good to hear this might be worth a look...

Filben

Then I must say it gets worse for you. The game focuses heavily on a cinematic and narrative-driven story, manages and juggles the pace between combat, exploration and character background stories and extensive dialogue to support said stories and the overall plot. It's trying to tell an emotional story that works through character development and bonding that is mostly conveyed through said dialogues, close-up camera angles and a general cinematic look and feel.

In short: it seems you aren't within the target audience. The problem you might face with wanting a third person shooter (at least that's what I think you want) is that third person comes for a reason in many games. It's an often choosen perspective for story or at least character-driven games because it's important to see the character. Many good third person shooters like Max Payne, Vanquish, Control, Days Gone, Gears, Uncharted come with a story that is heavily focused on. If you still want a TPS, I'd go for Remnant for the Ashes, Outriders, The Division; the story is forgettable in all of those, but they're looter shooters and therefore focuses on other mechanics instead than on tight shooter controls. Then there is Returnal, but that's a rogue-like. So it's maybe not what you're looking for, especially if you like the combat in TLOU.

Closest thing for you would be the new game mode in TLOU2.

However, if you go away from the third person and be okay with FPS, there's a plethora of games where you can have a blast without caring for the story or much text. Dusk (one of the most amazing FPS ever), Cultic (also a real gem), Turbo Overkill, Prodeus, Iron Fury, Metal: Hellsinger, Quake remastered, the new Wolfenstein games (it does have cutscenes and many dialogues but it's ultimately you against Nazis... so you can skip them), Supplice, Ultrakill, Trepang2, Turok remastered, Forgive Me Father.

In those games, "fun shooting" comes first before anything else.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Maybe if she had a paper bag over her head...
Or on the beach. A geek overpowering a strong female. :)

I don’t get the hate for her. She’s ripped and she has something to be upset about. I like her foot stomp and strong whiff punches. She’s like the ultimate threat to a typical teenage girl like Ellie.

King Dazzar

Or on the beach. A geek overpowering a strong female. :)

I don’t get the hate for her. She’s ripped and she has something to be upset about. I like her foot stomp and strong whiff punches. She’s like the ultimate threat to a typical teenage girl like Ellie.
She's a good baddie. Not my cup of tea beyond that though...

The No Return Grounded trophy is gonna be very hard to get. I'll certainly enjoy coming back every day to try get it though.

Not gonna cheat and use the accessibility settings as that seems a bit cheap.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Man there really is like a CW/young adult novel shift in the dialogue at the beginning of Part II…which yeah, you’re talking teenagers and young adults, makes sense but…bigot sandwich still hits hard bruh
This is what made me switch off, and it's not even pre-2016 CW stuff.
It's like watching Arrow Season 1 and jumping to Season 8

Playing the PS4 version patched for PS5 gave an option for 1440p 6 60fps . From what I'm reading, the Remaster's performance mode runs at...1440p 6 60fps ? Is that right?

That should be "at" 60fps. Didn't mean to summon a ghost user.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
The No Return Grounded trophy is gonna be very hard to get. I'll certainly enjoy coming back every day to try get it though.

Not gonna cheat and use the accessibility settings as that seems a bit cheap.
Good luck. I did it twice with slow mo on aim and reduced enemy awareness and accuracy. Human enemies on Grounded have insanely good aim to the point it doesn’t feel „grounded” anymore, while my aim remains as shit as always in those games.

The only option that feels really cheap is invisible on prone imo, not touching that one.

Another thing - those top leaderboard places are 100% using them all. Can’t imagine hitting 9,5k+ scores means you’re no-hit speedrunnung grounded with 100% accuracy.

I do think on hardest mode such options should be unavailable, but that would make it „uninclusive”

angrod14

Playing the PS4 version patched for PS5 gave an option for 1440p 6 60fps . From what I'm reading, the Remaster's performance mode runs at...1440p 6 60fps ? Is that right?

The advantage of the performance mode in the remaster is that you can unlock the frame rate, so that it goes up to 120 fps. To my understanding it averages around 90 fps which is much, much smoother than the locked 60 you had with the patched PS4 version.

Good luck. I did it twice with slow mo on aim and reduced enemy awareness and accuracy. Human enemies on Grounded have insanely good aim to the point it doesn’t feel „grounded” anymore, while my aim remains as shit as always in those games.

The only option that feels really cheap is invisible on prone imo, not touching that one.

Another thing - those top leaderboard places are 100% using them all. Can’t imagine hitting 9,5k+ scores means you’re no-hit speedrunnung grounded with 100% accuracy.

I do think on hardest mode such options should be unavailable, but that would make it „uninclusive”

Was probably a slight oversight. Probably best to make two leaderboards, one with Accessibility features enabled and one without.

I'm not really too concerned with the leaderboard myself but obviously some are.

My aim is to just complete a Grounded Daily run with every character. That'll probably take a long long time but I'm really enjoying the mode so that's not a problem.

The advantage of the performance mode in the remaster is that you can unlock the frame rate, so that it goes up to 120 fps. To my understanding it averages around 90 fps which is much, much smoother than the locked 60 you had with the patched PS4 version.
Can you unlock the framerate on fidelity mode (4K)?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

yes. They probably shouldve tried to do an 1800p 60 fps mode like Kojima did with Death Stranding. Or implement DRS scaling.

I would suggest you try the fidelity mode with VRR and unlocked framerate. it goes up to 60 fps indoors and stays above 40 fps even in the big open world areas and feels very smooth. I wouldnt recommend it for something like no return but the campaign should be fine.

Thaedolus

This is what made me switch off, and it's not even pre-2016 CW stuff.
It's like watching Arrow Season 1 and jumping to Season 8
I don’t know what Arrow is but I do know listening to kids 18 years younger than me talk these days gives me the same reaction, so I’m kinda like…yeah of course Ellie and Dina talk like that. Teenagers are cringe

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TGO

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I don’t know what Arrow is but I do know listening to kids 18 years younger than me talk these days gives me the same reaction, so I’m kinda like…yeah of course Ellie and Dina talk like that. Teenagers are cringe
I see what you mean, it does depend on the person, I've had the younger generation say the same thing about some of the people they meet, work or go to university with.

Arrow is a DC TV Show that started in the early 2010's, it had drama in it but it wasn't too bad.
By 2017 it was more ridiculous cringe drama with woke shit which got to the point of unwatchable, but still not as bad as the other DC shows.
The Flash started out fine too but fall to the same problems.
But I had the same problem with TLOU2, it's like it wasn't written by the same people as the first.
I don't think it's because the characters are younger, the writors aren't teenagers
You're just listen to the likes of Halley Gross and Druckmann.

Shin-Ra

Yeah, they were ahead of their time 4years ago. Turn your hand to that angle and see how freaky it looks IRL
When Heather’s on the payphone to her dad in Silent Hill 3, I always thought her hand looked like a pig trotter.

It’s even more ambiguous at PS2 res:

Last edited:

GooseMan69

Who do you guys like to use in No Return? I actually really like playing as Yara. You get Lev as a companion for all encounters, who can be quite useful, especially after upgrades.

Trap mines are super useful btw, especially in the Hunted game mode. Find a spot to hold up in with mines covering the entrances.

Last edited:

Facism

Do i need to install the ps4 disc on my ps5 or its only purpose is to be a control-check to play the remaster that i'm downloading and it just need to be inside the console?

Maybe i need to install it to read my saves? or the remaster read the saves by itself?

I haven't read the rest of the thread, but I:

1)put the TLOU2 play disc in the ps5 (no need to install ps4 version at all)
2)bought the upgrade
3)download for ps5 version starts
4)can transfer my ps4 version saves without needing the ps4 version installed.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford After playing this in native 4k, do you still think TLOU Part 1 looks better?

I always thought it looked better than Part 1, but going back and playing this in 4k cemented just how beautiful the lighting really is in this game compared to Part 1. It makes a huge difference despite both games sharing what are effectively the same assets.

Flabagast

James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford After playing this in native 4k, do you still think TLOU Part 1 looks better?

I always thought it looked better than Part 1, but going back and playing this in 4k cemented just how beautiful the lighting really is in this game compared to Part 1. It makes a huge difference despite both games sharing what are effectively the same assets.
It looks so much better than Part 1, I agree.

But that might also be thanks to stronger art direction.

skneogaf

I finished part 1 on grounded earlier and jumped straight onto this game on grounded. I have died a couple of times trying to learn the dodge technique and I've found clickers aren't dying off a brick to stun them and then stab them.

A couple of times the clicker has carried on chasing me! ☠️

I still believe 5 for motion blur and film grain is the best way to set the two games.

SlimySnake

It looks so much better than Part 1, I agree.

But that might also be thanks to stronger art direction.
Yeah, ND has definitely leveled up their game since TLOU1. Uncharted 4 and TLOU2 both have very strong art direction, cinematography, and overall cohesion in level design. They feel like fully lived in worlds whereas TLOU1 levels kinda felt like small corridors. I think remaking the game while keeping the level layout the same was kind of a mistake.

violence

Does the game tell you why Addy kills Joel? I didn't know till 20 mins ago after googling it. I'm sure I was zoning out during cutscenes but I don't think Abby and Elie ever have a conversation about it.

Raonak

Banned
Does the game tell you why Addy kills Joel? I didn't know till 20 mins ago after googling it. I'm sure I was zoning out during cutscenes but I don't think Abby and Elie ever have a conversation about it.
It becomes pretty obvious when you get to the midway point of the game during the flashback sequences. IIRC Ellie already knows that abby and co are ex-firefly, but doesn't care about the justification.

Last edited:
Top Bottom