• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part 2 : REMASTERED |OT| If somehow a tenner gave me a second chance at that moment... I would do it all over again

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Does the game tell you why Addy kills Joel? I didn't know till 20 mins ago after googling it. I'm sure I was zoning out during cutscenes but I don't think Abby and Elie ever have a conversation about it.
lmao

yes, yes it does. big plot point in the game

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Does the game tell you why Addy kills Joel? I didn't know till 20 mins ago after googling it. I'm sure I was zoning out during cutscenes but I don't think Abby and Elie ever have a conversation about it.
That’s a major plot reveal, especially when you start playing Abby’s story.

Iced Arcade

$10 upgrade ($15 here in Canada) but had enough points on my PlayStation rewards that I redeemed and got $15 store credit. Win

Justin9mm

I finished part 1 on grounded earlier and jumped straight onto this game on grounded. I have died a couple of times trying to learn the dodge technique and I've found clickers aren't dying off a brick to stun them and then stab them.

A couple of times the clicker has carried on chasing me! ☠️

I still believe 5 for motion blur and film grain is the best way to set the two games.
I played around with the film grain setting for hours. Playing fidelity 120hz VRR unlocked. I settled on 4. I had it on 5 for a while but I think 4 is actually the best of both worlds to my eyes. But yeah around the half way mark is best. Both off and 10 look shit. Motion blur I still can't work out what I like. I think it needs some, it's currently still on default 10 for the time being as I got used to it.

Last edited:
I can't tell the difference between 4k and 1440p on my TV. Fidelity with uncapped fps feels too stuttery. Performace with uncapped fps feels smooth most of the time. And it looks amazing.
I think I'm enjoying this game way more than I did back when it was released.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
- When I read the previews a few weeks ago, I thought the runs would be too short, but 6 is just enough.
- Encounters are still very intense.
- Modifiers always make the battle feel very unique.

You rarely find games where the gun, melee, and stealth combat all feel satisfying.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I don’t wanna speak too soon but I think they fixed the Honeywell thermostats that were too big in the non-remaster. They are still way too flat. It’s clear the person that modeled them has never pulled one out of the box. Stupid nitpick over.

Ok, I remember the reveal that she was a firefly, but not that Joe killed her father.
I always think back to that early scene where Joel saved Abby’s life. She was seconds away from death.

James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford After playing this in native 4k, do you still think TLOU Part 1 looks better?

I always thought it looked better than Part 1, but going back and playing this in 4k cemented just how beautiful the lighting really is in this game compared to Part 1. It makes a huge difference despite both games sharing what are effectively the same assets.

No doubt part 2 looks better.

Native 4K makes a big difference vs 1440p though, which is why Pt.1 just looked so good to me

But in Part 2, you can clearly tell the environmental detail and level design took a huge step up. The game's lighting is just insane, it really does look like cutscene quality stuff in-game to me.

Ar¢tos

name the games with writing you like better
Writing for dialogue?
Can't think of any much better. Dialogue in games is usually very bad, they all go from bad to cringe mediocre.
Writing for story?
Tons of them. TLOU2 story is very stupid. It went from a "save the world" story in the first one to a petty unrealistic revenge story in the 2nd, with lots of actions happening purely for shock purpose, not for the benefit of the story.

Last edited:

GymWolf

If this remaster prove something, is that 4k and high resolutions are as transformative and important as other graphical features like rtx.

The game looks almost like a nextgen game and the only change these cheap fuckers made was literally turning the res up.
Imo it looks better than part 1 somehow...

Yes these consoles can't handle both 4k, actual nextgen tech and 60 fps, but fuck me native 4k is always a game changer if your sight sense is not complete shit.

Tlou3 should easily beat crazy chick 2 or whatever is gonna be the graphic king of the moment.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Writing for dialogue?
Can't think of any much better. Dialogue in games is usually very bad, they all go from bad to cringe mediocre.
Writing for story?
Tons of them. TLOU2 story is very stupid. It went from a "save the world" story in the first one to a petty unrealistic revenge story in the 2nd, with lots of actions happening purely for shock purpose, not for the benefit of the story.
First game was mostly about Joel and Ellie's relationship. That continued in the second game. Save the world plot was the underlying story.

Kindela

Banned
Tried a few runs of the new mode and it's very intense, forgot how stressful this game is.
But I seemed to have lost patience for stealth gameplay sometime in the last 4 years, since I can't be bothered sneaking and listening all the time. I usually start with brick + meleeing someone followed by a gunfight.

tommib

If this remaster prove something, is that 4k and high resolutions are as transformative and important as other graphical features like rtx.

The game looks almost like a nextgen game and the only change these cheap fuckers made was literally turning the res up.
Imo it looks better than part 1 somehow...

Yes these consoles can't handle both 4k, actual nextgen tech and 60 fps, but fuck me native 4k is always a game changer if your sight sense is not complete shit.

Tlou3 should easily beat crazy chick 2 or whatever is gonna be the graphic king of the moment.
As long as they don’t use ray tracing buzzwords to show off or DRS or whatever handicaps image quality and performance. Some people in this thread are puzzled why they didn’t use upscaling techniques or variable resolutions to get more performance out of the fidelity mode. I hate that. I love native resolutions. Much prefer a clean 1440p to the shitshow of FSR2 we’ve seen lately.

And I hate variable resolutions. Can’t stand a game that’s constantly shifting image quality for performance goals. Can you imagine watching a film with variable resolution? It’s nonsense.

GooseMan69

Just completed a grounded run on No Return as Manny. That was actually fucking bonkers. My heart was beating out of my chest at multiple points.

Best combat/stealth ever. Not even a competition for me. I gotta start recording some of these runs because some of the sequences I’ve gotten to play out look like an E3 bullshot demo.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Just completed a grounded run on No Return as Manny. That was actually fucking bonkers. My heart was beating out of my chest at multiple points.

Best combat/stealth ever. Not even a competition for me. I gotta start recording some of these runs because some of the sequences I’ve gotten to play out look like an E3 bullshot demo.
Post some videos man.

tommib

4LQl71.jpeg
4LQdFq.jpeg
4LQsoQ.jpeg
4LQ42a.jpeg
4LQBIA.jpeg
4LQKJe.jpeg
4LQpek.jpeg
4LQ7xx.jpeg
4LQHRH.jpeg

skneogaf

The last of us part 1 on grounded was pretty difficult.

The last of us part 2 on grounded is very difficult.

Dina is an absolute nightmare, she's playing on easy and everyone else is on grounded.

She is constantly barging me out of the way, she isn't shooting her rifle and she has alerted the enemy 3 times and I've only just lost my horse.

I'm using way too much ammunition as my tactics for part 1 on grounded just aren't cutting it.

I may have to play part 2 on a lower difficulty so I can get the hang of the game.

Its weird how I was able to stun a clicker with a brick and stab him yet the same tactic, the clicker pushes me away after I stab they/them/their vagina face! 😭

King Dazzar

The last of us part 1 on grounded was pretty difficult.

The last of us part 2 on grounded is very difficult.

Dina is an absolute nightmare, she's playing on easy and everyone else is on grounded.

She is constantly barging me out of the way, she isn't shooting her rifle and she has alerted the enemy 3 times and I've only just lost my horse.

I'm using way too much ammunition as my tactics for part 1 on grounded just aren't cutting it.

I may have to play part 2 on a lower difficulty so I can get the hang of the game.

Its weird how I was able to stun a clicker with a brick and stab him yet the same tactic, the clicker pushes me away after I stab they/them/their vagina face! 😭
I'm only playing on moderate+ but my niggle is that enemies drop their guns, but bizarrely the guns rarely if ever have any ammo. So are the whole of the WLF sent out on patrol with magical guns which automatically dissolve all ammo when they die.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I'm only playing on moderate+ but my niggle is that enemies drop their guns, but bizarrely the guns rarely if ever have any ammo. So are the whole of the WLF sent out on patrol with magical guns which automatically dissolve all ammo when they die.

Yeah this has been throwing me off more often than not.

Only a couple pistol rounds on me and just wasted a dude who couldnt even get off a shot. See his pistol lying on the ground next to his body.

"Oh sweet finally a couple bullets."

"FUCK" :messenger_expressionless:

Shin-Ra

If you’ve not fought the underground Garage Bloater in today’s Daily Run much, you don’t get much downtime to craft/heal/swap weapon slots with everything swarming you. It’s safest to go into the fight with ample ammo on your equipped weapons to clear out the waves of normal infected before focusing on the Bloater.

You have to kill everything anyway and the big B’s easiest to avoid.

Bartski

Gold Member
John Travolta Dancing GIF by Hollywood Suite

GdNKfD3.jpg

...ok so here I was testing how much can you get away with ALL accessibility settings on. Invisible on prone, even tho you can still get detected on grounded, kind of breaks the game. It's ridiculous. And I still managed to mess up one hunted for a B (overall AABSSS).

Last edited:

tommib

John Travolta Dancing GIF by Hollywood Suite

GdNKfD3.jpg

...ok so here I was testing how much can you get away with ALL accessibility settings on. Invisible on prone, even tho you can still get detected on grounded, kind of breaks the game. It's ridiculous. And I still managed to mess up one hunted for a B (overall AABSSS).
Love to see you on those top places. Proud of you, man. Still doing my story replay but I’ll give no return a shot when I’m done. I remember once appearing in the top 5 of those daily Returnal runs and it feels awesome.

thatJohann

I’m curious to replay this on PS5 but I just returned my second PS5 Slim from their fans being loud when playing games and distracting me.

Should I try for a third PS5 Slim just for this game? Probably not.

Shakka43

Since my tv doesn't support VRR and I don't care about the rogue like stuff, the only thing I've gotten out this upgrade is a free platinum trophy. Performance mode feels 1:1 to the PS4 version.

It's a good thing the game already looked so good though and the adaptive triggers feature is nice enough.

King Dazzar

I’m curious to replay this on PS5 but I just returned my second PS5 Slim from their fans being loud when playing games and distracting me.

Can you not try and still get a non-slim PS5? Mines silent at all times.

thatJohann

Can you not try and still get a non-slim PS5? Mines silent at all times.
I haven't been able to find an OG PS5 Digital Edition anywhere in stock in new condition for MSRP. It's only preowned at GameStop (yuck) or super marked up on eBay, Walmart, etc. so my only options are the PS5 Slim for the third time, ugh.

Strategize

I hope this dispels the notion that these games don't have good gameplay.
Doubt it, like 95% of those takes come from twitter profiles with anime pictures that don't even play Sony games because they aren't Japanese anymore enough or some shit.

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

I hope this dispels the notion that these games don't have good gameplay. The released a mode that is pure gameplay and fun as hell. A movie game can walk and chew gum at the same time.
Sony games have some of the best gameplays in the business, don’t let the “playing movies” morons get to you.

Shit even Days Gone is smoother and more satisfying than 99.5% of the AAA offerings from competitors.

violence

Disc in the system? That’s the only noisy thing about my OG PS5. It’ll spin that disc up even if you’re playing a digital game if there’s a disk in the system.

3liteDragon

Story, gameplay, level design, audio, animation, if there's any game that actually looks & plays like a AAAA title, this would be ONLY game I'd give that classification to. 4 years later & it's still mind-blowing to me how ultra polished it is, puts other AAA studios to shame.

IMG_7175.png

IMG_7174.png

IMG_7177.png
IMG_7176.png

IMG_7179.png
IMG_7180.png
IMG_7178.png
IMG_7134.png
IMG_7135.png
IMG_7137.png
IMG_7136.png
IMG_7140.png

IMG_7148.png
IMG_7149.png

Wow that's something.

Sorry to hear you're having so many issues. You wanna wait for the PS5 Pro? Its not far away. I think towards the end of the year.

Toons

Writing for dialogue?
Writing for story?

The first game was NOT about saving the world lmfao that was the backdrop to the actual story of a hardened anti social warrior finding hope and love in an innocent girl

Roni

Gold Member
The PC version of this isn't coming out until the TV show's next season is finished, isn't it?

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Goddamn what a fucking MASTERPIECE of a game.

Its like they made a game specifically tailored to me

Playing this and TLOU Part 1 back to back is just something special that isn't matched in gaming imo.

Like, the level of quality is truly just in another league. I don't know how anyone cannot love this and call themselves a fan of games.

We won't see another game with such polish and attention to detail until GTA6, and that team is like 30x the size as the one that made this with 300X the budget.

Jesus I cant wait for TLOU 3 - Going to raise the bar again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom