• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

Im playing on hard...but have yet to use my gun in order to conserve ammo..

What item do i find more of? Health or ammo? How common are shivs too? I havent used them either

Hard without listening mode, doesnt seem that hard yet....

The intro - dem feels!

ALMOST got my PS4 today especially when it comes with a free title like KZ, Infamous, Injustice or Fifa. Buying an extra controller would net me a free 1 year PS+ subsciption (unfortunately it's only for the HK store) but damn me if GAF almost had me to get this game especially since I held out buying Left Behind for this specific reason.

mcfrank

I have a brand new vizio m which I spent about 2 hours calibrating. It is not the best tv, but was praised in reviews for its good black levels. The subway section after the Capital was basically unplayable for me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

What item do i find more of? Health or ammo? How common are shivs too? I havent used them either

The intro - dem feels!

Yeah, hard doesn't seem to reduce items much at all compared to my normal playthrough. I did the same as you - basically avoided using my gun at all if possible - when you
meet bill
you can't really avoid it though - I can imagine that sucking on grounded difficulty if ammo is really scarce

I had major issues with crushed blacks on the subway and also the Capitol building. Practically blind through there. Tv is calibrated and the gamma adjustment in the game showed all levels just fine.

MJLord

I have had the best day ever. Coming home to this and ordering in with a lager tonight is going to round off a great day :D

DirtyLarry

And game modes are generally very good. They remove all post processing to reduce latency.
Yet Game Mode usually introduces things like...
scaling artifacts are much more likely. Color accuracy and even potentially color temperature tracking, all suffer.
And that was just from my very first google search.
Notice most of the issues with game mode are color related. So no, Game Mode is usually never good, a properly calibrated TV is what is good. Game Mode almost always crushes the blacks and over saturates shit. You can, and would remove, all post processing with a properly calibrated TV.

No, the issue is definitely not because of my tv calibrations.
So okay, do you have a Plasma? Because most of the comments I read seem to be people who have a plasma.
So since the majority of people do not seem to be having issues, I am just trying to logically deduce what the issue could be.
Therefore I came up with two deductions.
Bad calibrations.
Or Plasma TV's themselves.
I would hope for all of your sake it is not plasmas cause I would imagine a fix for that is not super easy, but who knows.

Again, I was not trying to sound like a douche, but if there was an issue with the games Gamma and it was widespread would it not be known by now?

Sorry to hear people are having issues with the games gamma.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If you calibrate your set while *in* game model it should be fine. Obviously if you switch modes or HDMI inputs things may be out of whack. I think enough people are commenting on this that it is difficult to just dismiss

K' Dash

My Panny plasma does not like this game one bit, I hope they're working to fix the gamma, cause it sucks big time to have a game as good looking as this having these kind of issues :/

Marvel

could never
So I said yesterday that 30fps was the way to go for me "I want all the bells and whistles nice shadows etc", HAHA nope.

I switched it down from 60fps and call me fucking shocked, I'll leave it as it is. Much better at 60fps my god. I also turned down my TV's backlight from max to 1 and my contrast from max to about 71, has made my image 10 times better.

(Sony Bravia LED)

fastmower

Sounds like a decent amount of people do not have properly calibrated TV's and are blaming ND. If your TV has a Game mode, or Movie mode, for the love of god turn it off.
In fact take it one step further, Google your TV model and Calibration Settings and try whatever you discover out. Most TV's nowadays let you save different configurations if you are really scared of it.
Really not trying to sound like a douche but there is no other way to say this without sounding like one. Especially if it is a certain brand of TV's which it

sounds like it may be.

I have a professionally calibrated panny plasma. The rgb setting are absolutely correct on both the tv and my ps4. The escape from Boston portion of the game was completely washed out...

MrS

Banned
I was wondering this too last night. I waited around 10-15 minutes after putting the disc in, thinking it had finished installing (I like to wait until a game has fully installed before playing), but the disc was still spinning even after I started up the game. So I decided to delete it from my HDD and re-install it until the disc drive stopped spinning, which took way longer than 15 minutes. Then, when I started the game up the disc stopped spinning after a short time, like it does with every other game, and the only sound I could hear was the fans.
How did the install last way more than 15 minutes when you re-installed it? I've deleted and reinstalled it, everything took the same amount of time and the problem remains.

So okay, do you have a Plasma? Because most of the comments I read seem to be people who have a plasma.
So since the majority of people do not seem to be having issues, I am just trying to logically deduce what the issue could be.
Therefore I came up with two deductions.
Bad calibrations.
Or Plasma TV's themselves.
I would hope for all of your sake it is not plasmas cause I would imagine a fix for that is not super easy, but who knows.

Again, I was not trying to sound like a douche, but if there was an issue with the games Gamma and it was widespread would it not be known by now?

Sorry to hear people are having issues with the games gamma.

Yep i have a plasma. It's ok i would probably think the same if i was in your position, it's a very weird issue that i've never encountered before.

terrible

Banned
Guys how far am I in the game?
I just got to the hydroelectric power plant

If you look at your save file it should give you a %. I think it's generally pretty accurate.

Edit: So basically click load game and press the options button on a save file and select information.

Voorhees

The intro - dem feels!

You can find shivs, but for the most part you have to craft them, and you'll need them to unlock doors that can only be unlocked by shivs.

leng jai

So I said yesterday that 30fps was the way to go for me "I want all the bells and whistles nice shadows etc", HAHA nope.

I switched it down from 60fps and call me fucking shocked, I'll leave it as it is. Much better at 60fps my god. I also turned down my TV's backlight from max to 1 and my contrast from max to about 71, has made my image 10 times better.

(Sony Bravia LED)

Well there's definitely something wrong with the 30fps implementation in this game. Panning the camera in that mode feels like you're dragging it through mud.

The gamma issue definitely seems to be isolated to plasma TVs. This port really doesn't feel like it has the ND polish and pedigree put into it. Way too many issues by their standards.

jakeellis01

The gamma issue definitely seems to be isolated to plasma TVs. This port really doesn't feel like it has the ND polish and pedigree put into it. Way too many issues by their standards.

It's def not a plasma only issue.... I have an LCD, tried PS3 version and don't have the issue. Never had a brightness/gamma issue on a game/movie. I also recorded the thing on twitch to see if I can see this on my PC Monitor, same thing happened, blacks = light grey (downtown part only), loading and pause screens blacks are fine though, hope Naughty Dog fixes this...

My Twitch PROOF: http://www.twitch.tv/jakeellis01/b/552804618

as you can see the blacks are fine at: 11:50
the gamma issue starts at the elevator scene excatly: 12:30 you can see the blacks brighten up and there are no real blacks anymore, just greys, you can especially see this at 13:55

isn't this proof enough that this a game issue? and nothing to do with TV Calibration/Settings?

Naughty Dog.... pls fix this ;'{

Guys how far am I in the game?
I just got to the hydroelectric power plant

Well....if you want a roundabout estimate. You are in FALL out of SUMMER, FALL, WINTER, SPRING...
:)

If you want precise...go to your saves and it should have a percentage.

Well there's definitely something wrong with the 30fps implementation in this game. Panning the camera in that mode feels like you're dragging it through mud.

This is what I thought also. The PS3 version does not look like that. But Hey, at least they got the 60fps right!

i4xcxcotOPPOq.jpg

For me, the game started slow, but since it's picked up it's been hard for me to put down. I gotta say, I can't recall the last time a game evoked any emotion out of me, but I've just gotten to the scene where
Sam turns, and Henry... well yeah.
and it made me wanna choke up. Really powerful scene.

JB1981

I thought this too but yesterday I fired the game up not realizing that I had locked the framerate the night before for the vita. The game at 30fps seemed Ok .. nothing really off about but the aiming didn't feel right so i went into the options to see if 30fps lock was enabled and it was. I switched to 60fps and was like OMGGGGG. Not only is the game more responsive but the clarity of the image increases substantially! 60fps is not only superior for latency it is superior for image quality as well.

jakeellis01

It's def not a plasma only issue.... I have an LCD, tried PS3 version and don't have the issue. Never had a brightness/gamma issue on a game/movie. I also recorded the thing on twitch to see if I can see this on my PC Monitor, same thing happened, blacks = light grey (downtown part only), loading and pause screens blacks are fine though, hope Naughty Dog fixes this...

My Twitch PROOF: http://www.twitch.tv/jakeellis01/b/552804618

as you can see the blacks are fine at: 11:50
the gamma issue starts at the elevator scene excatly: 12:30 you can see the blacks brighten up and there are no real blacks anymore, just greys, you can especially see this at 13:55

isn't this proof enough that this a game issue? and nothing to do with TV Calibration/Settings?

Naughty Dog.... pls fix this ;'{

updated post with proof of gamma issue.. comments anyone?

Me too. Once I got to that section, I put the game down for the night... I'm not ready for that sort of trauma yet.

I kept hearing about that section and was worried about it, but I got it first try.

Just memorize the route back to the stairs, hit the generator and immediately do a 180 turn, then book it back to the stairs. You should only have to kill one runner and then you'll be home free.

Andrew.

Banned
For me, the game started slow, but since it's picked up it's been hard for me to put down. I gotta say, I can't recall the last time a game evoked any emotion out of me, but I've just gotten to the scene where
Sam turns, and Henry... well yeah.
and it made me wanna choke up. Really powerful scene.

Yes it is a great scene and the immediate cut
to the black screen with "Fall" in the corner
is a real slam.

SoulClap

Hopefully they are aware of the gamma issue. There's nothing broken with my with my calibration. I'm went though D-Nice's panel aging procedure and applied his settings to my VT60. There is no color space mismatch going on between my display and the PS4 either. RGB range is set to limited for both my PS4 and display.

StuBurns

Banned
That sticker was lame. I hate when they use that thin papery sticker stuff that's super hard to remove cleanly. There are those plasticey stickers that come right off perfectly. Cheap bastards.

Add me to the list of people who have a problem with the lighting.

The section with the sunken subway cars was almost unplayable. In fact, if I hadn't already played it on my PS3, I might not have been able to figure out what to do or what I was supposed to be looking for.

It was just a yellow haze. There wasn't much variation in the degree of lighting. Looked pretty terrible.

And I do not have a plasma, I have a Samsung LCD that's less than a year old. The same TV I played this game on last summer, on PS3, and I don't remember this lighting problem.

Takuan

Early thoughts (maybe 2 hours in, tops):

- voice acting in this game is great
- astonished they created something similar looking on ps3; great atmosphere
- stealth element is well-executed
- animation glitches here and there take me out of the game
- the shadow thing hasn't been a big deal thus far
- facial animations are a little too subtle to be really effective, but that's a last-gen limitation that will hopefully be resolved in a legit PS4 title
-
Tess is going to die, isn't she? :(

So far, so good. Positives greatly outweigh the negatives.

Been playing a bit today and arrived at the part where you're in
hotel basement with the generator when you meet the stalkers
All I can say is OMG

I'm playing on Survivor I think? Phewww... I
turned on the generator on and ran like hell!

Game is amazing.

Raptor

The only part where I thought something was wrong with the gamma of the game was when
you get out of the tunnel when you first get out to the city with Ellie and Tess, Joel looks lifting a piece of wood and there it looks completly washed out and the lighting was weird.
I thought that was normal.

It doesn't bother me, I have Full range on my PS4 and my Panny Plasma.

kubus

I really hope ND fixes those gamma issues soon. Luckily my tv/game/? doesn't seem to be affected but I can imagine it sucks to those who are.

So.. I just got to the part in winter with
David
where you fight off
the horde of Infected and Bloater
on Grounded difficulty.

Wish me luck :'(

Playing on survivor trying to conserve ammo and items as much as possible. I am to the part
where you escape Pittsburgh and I cannot get passed it. I can stealth kill the three guys easy enough but the second I try to turn off the generator like 5 or six people come down. I am thinking I will just have to use a molotov to take out a few but would rather save it for bigger enemies.

robotrock

Banned
LATE GAME SPOILERS
Hello it would appear that I have encountered a glitch during the spring time in the water room puzzle where Ellie will not walk onto the wood paddle. I have restarted and she simply refused to walk on the wood paddle. help

edit: ok nevermind third time restarting it worked!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Managed to activate photo mode at the last possible second after getting grabbed by a bloater. Evidently Joel's face turns into Raptor's anus.

iwPB1q9fZcPqv.jpg

First time playing this game...

I'm stuck at the part trying to take out the clickers in the collapsed office building (just joined up with Ellie) but so far I'm having a blast. Game is phenomenal in every single aspect.

kubus

Playing on survivor trying to conserve ammo and items as much as possible. I am to the part
where you escape Pittsburgh and I cannot get passed it. I can stealth kill the three guys easy enough but the second I try to turn off the generator like 5 or six people come down. I am thinking I will just have to use a molotov to take out a few but would rather save it for bigger enemies.
I have a super handy trick for this. You dont have to use any ammo or bombs or molotovs for this - just stealth. I got stuck here too until I tried this:
- Kill the two dudes at the start
- Go to the left into the field and slowly move forwards taking cover
- Kill the patrolling dude by choking him near the gate (make sure the dude near the searchlight doesnt see you)
- Now turn off the generator
- Move to your right, near the gate and hide against the wall here (the platform where the enemies jump down from)
- Once an enemy jumps down, quickly choke him. Repeat for all next enemies (you have just enough time to finish the choke animation)

The last dudes will come searching and you can take them out silently when they come near.

I did this on grounded difficulty and it worked perfectly!

daveo42

Banned

I had issues with that as well on my survivor run last time and I never found a way to easily kill the last guys without alerting anyone else.
Those guys on the scaffold right above the generator suck.

StMeph

I didn't enjoy Uncharted much, but the JoelBanderas and JoelNicholson GIFs have made me interested in TLOU. Sad, perhaps, but true.

chaosaeon

Really? I think the party matchmaking is a bit messed up, but once it gets going it GOES and playing with some friends, some GAF folk, and alone in no-party has been a lot of fun. It's not for everyone, though.

BTW, this is the reversible cover:

Y8DHRR.jpg

There have been times where I've gotten games with no reversible cover too. I'm in Canada though. Any canadian gaffers get this and have this cover ?

Anyone know if there is a button press that shortens the strangle.
The fastest stealth takedown I've encountered is when a pistol is equipped and you can grab them and pistol whip them twice they go down. It's a few seconds faster than the strangle animation.

Top Bottom