• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

eso76

Managed to activate photo mode at the last possible second after getting grabbed by a bloater. Evidently Joel's face turns into Raptor's anus.

iwPB1q9fZcPqv.jpg

that looks painful

antitrop

Gun sway is the most important upgrade. Master shiv comes in useful but you can wind up wasting a lot of shivs if you rely on it too much.

Yup, I went Gun Sway -> Max Health -> Gun Sway -> Max Health -> Shiv Master. The other upgrades are essentially worthless.

Was just watching a twitch stream of a guy playing Grounded. He got to
the first mix of runners and a clicker in the tipped building
and ragequitted after 3 identical attempts failed. Lol.
Lol. That was the first part I got stuck on. I had to retry 5 or 6 times until I finally got it. I've managed to do 2 silent takedowns in the spot, but that leaves 2 runners and a clicker. It's hard because you have 7 bullets between the 9mm and revolver. You have a wodden pallet, but that's still 4 hits to kill just one enemy, they'll chomp your ass by the time your done, so you better use that thing quick. So from here, you have to use your guns. If you have the revolver out, there's a soldiers body with 3 bullets on the second floor towards your exit. You HAVE to use those, or else face the horror that is slowly switching weapons while runners are running towards you.

I can feel the tension coming back just writing this. And it's in the first hour of the game. Fuck.

Yeah, I agree.

Also that shaking the controller to make the flashlight work is completly amazing, I love it a lot, when it first appeard on screen what I had to do and did it and the flashlight turned on again I smiled.

Then again I was one of the few that liked the Spray painting in Second Son, I even hold it sideways and all :)

Same! They're nice little additions that may be "gimmicky" but just add a tiny bit more to the experience. Also love that the "click" flashlight sound off/on plays out the speaker.

Corrinne Yu from Naughty dog just tweeted to me a comprehensive explanation on the "aggressive fade distances". A lot of technical stuff I don't fully understand, but it sounds like it was a learning process for them on coding for the PS4. I'm sorry, I don't know how to embed twitter images, so just check out her twitter feed for the latest tweets. If someone can post images of these tweets I'd really appreciate it. There are several to me about this issue:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Corrinne

antitrop

Corrinne Yu from Naughty dog just tweeted to me a comprehensive explanation on the "aggressive fade distances". A lot of technical stuff I don't fully understand, but it sounds like it was a learning process for them on coding for the PS4. I'm sorry, I don't know how to embed twitter images, so just check out her twitter feed for the latest tweets. If someone can post images of these tweets I'd really appreciate it. There are several to me about this issue:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Corrinne
Direct link to conversation: https://twitter.com/Corrinne/status/495236733319917568

Vitor711

I also noticed the gamma issues - some scene transitions from cutscenes would really stand out because suddenly everything was grey.

I should note that there's a very thorough and comprehensive technical explanation in her twitter feed that's not shown in the image or the link.

antitrop

I should note that there's a very thorough and comprehensive technical explanation in her twitter feed that's not shown in the image or the link.

Found the rest:

Corrine Yu said:
@ThomasBellmore These are aggressive fade out distances. :( A bit of Remaster development history ...
@ThomasBellmore TLOU took over 67 ms per frame as of weeks before we ship Remaster GPU bound.We took GPU down to 16 ms or less per frame ...
@ThomasBellmore By the time we hit 60 fps on the GPU, our engine now likely can handle much farther fade distances than this, but ...
@ThomasBellmore ... it became too late and too dangerous to risk de-stabilizing changes. We should and we will absolutely do better!

hey guys - is it worth me wasting shivs on clickers? thats the only way to kill them after sneaking up right?

should i be trying to kill everything/clear whole area? or better to sneak around and save resources?

(playing on hard w/o listening)

daveo42

Banned
hey guys - is it worth me wasting shivs on clickers? thats the only way to kill the right?

should i be trying to kill everything/clear whole area? or better to sneak around and save resources?

Bricks are your friend. They just attract attention. Attention easily burned away with some well placed fire.

playing grounded

Gotcha. I would for sure go with health (when needed) and sway second.

hey guys - is it worth me wasting shivs on clickers? thats the only way to kill the right?

If you can sneak up to them a brick will do the job as well but that alerts all other enemies if there are any as well. Saves the shivs for doors or when bricks aren't available but they are generally plentiful.

hey guys - is it worth me wasting shivs on clickers? thats the only way to kill them after sneaking up right?

On lower difficulties like hard it isn't bad using one on them every once in a while. I recommend never using them on survivor and Grounded since parts for them are so scarce and better used on doors.

Moozo

The gamma in the rainy dark section was horrendous. Had to drop the in game brightness and my TV's back light all the way down. So much better and tense when it's ACTUALLY dark.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
On lower difficulties like hard it isn't bad using one on them every once in a while. I recommend never using them on survivor and Grounded since parts for them are so scarce and better used on doors.

Don't you need shiv master to stealth attack clickers? and it'll use the whole shiv (even if you've upgraded your shive to have more durability). I think the second shiv master upgrade lets you stealth kill clickers only using one shiv durability 'chunk' (so like stealth killing normal enemies), but that's a lot of pills..

I don't think it is needed (I'd upgrade health and maybe weapon sway first). Single clickers can be avoided, and groups can be attracted to a spot with a bottle/brick, and then molotoved (or just avoid them)

Was just watching a twitch stream of a guy playing Grounded. He got to
the first mix of runners and a clicker in the tipped building
and ragequitted after 3 identical attempts failed. Lol.

You should have watched AngryJoe streaming this two days ago. He died 25 times in that spot on hard and screamed every time.

kubus

Sweet mother of god I finally beat the part in Winter
where you fight off the infected with David
on Grounded. Fuuuuck that was hard. I must've died at least 50 times. When the final Runner went down I had exactly 0 ammo on me and no bombs or molotovs. So glad it was over ;^;

I seriously hope the next section will be going smoother because I got stuck there for a while on my Hard playthrough as well.

Sweet mother of god I finally beat the part in Winter
where you fight off the infected with David
on Grounded. Fuuuuck that was hard. I must've died at least 50 times. When the final Runner went down I had exactly 0 ammo on me and no bombs or molotovs. So glad it was over ;^;

I seriously hope the next section will be going smoother because I got stuck there for a while on my Hard playthrough as well.

This is why I'm not playing on Grounded....I know I will quit at that part and never finish the game haha.

Don't you need shiv master to stealth attack clickers? and it'll use the whole shiv (even if you've upgraded your shive to have more durability). I think the second shiv master upgrade lets you stealth kill clickers only using one shiv durability 'chunk' (so like stealth killing normal enemies), but that's a lot of pills..

I don't think it is needed (I'd upgrade health and maybe weapon sway first). Single clickers can be avoided, and groups can be attracted to a spot with a bottle/brick, and then molotoved (or just avoid them)
Nope. Shiv master is needed to break away from one of they grab you. Clickers are easy to outsmart by getting a good distance away and standing still. Brick/bottle plus a melee weapon is a auto kill. Shiv master will be the last thing I upgrade.

Voorhees

No, you can shiv a Clicker with stealth anytime with no upgrades. Shiv Master gives you an out if you are grabbed by a clicker.

http://thelastofus.wikia.com/wiki/Skill_upgrades

Apath

It's kind of crazy how much I'm enjoying this game. Borrowed my buddy's PS3 copy and got bored after the Robert section at the beginning of the game, but last night I couldn't stop playing and finally unglued myself from the TV at 2:30 in the morning. Pretty much went from navigating
the collapsing skyscraper
to
Bill

Whoever was recommending Hard + Listen disabled for a first playthrough was dead on. The amount of tensioning when dealing with the infected is insane.

Edit: for clarification, borrowed my buddy's game about a year ago and am now playing with my own PS4 copy.

It's kind of crazy how much I'm enjoying this game. Borrowed my buddy's PS3 copy and got bored after the Robert section at the beginning of the game, but last night I couldn't stop playing and finally unglued myself from the TV at 2:30 in the morning. Pretty much went from navigating
the collapsing skyscraper
to
Bill

Whoever was recommending Hard + Listen disabled for a first playthrough was dead on. The amount of tensioning when dealing with the infected is insane.

Edit: for clarification, borrowed my buddy's game about a year ago and am now playing with my own PS4 copy.
Dude, it's only going to get better. This game is a heck of a ride.

MrS

Banned
Game of the generation, huh? I think MGS 4 was better than this, and MGO was a lot better than TLOU online IMO.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
lol@ the comments about 30 fps on the last page. God I love that ND did this. 30fps getting exposed.

The world needs that 60fps standard.

Top Bottom