• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

I have a super handy trick for this. You dont have to use any ammo or bombs or molotovs for this - just stealth. I got stuck here too until I tried this:
- Kill the two dudes at the start
- Go to the left into the field and slowly move forwards taking cover
- Kill the patrolling dude by choking him near the gate (make sure the dude near the searchlight doesnt see you)
- Now turn off the generator
- Move to your right, near the gate and hide against the wall here (the platform where the enemies jump down from)
- Once an enemy jumps down, quickly choke him. Repeat for all next enemies (you have just enough time to finish the choke animation)

The last dudes will come searching and you can take them out silently when they come near.

I did this on grounded difficulty and it worked perfectly!

Cool I will give this a go tonight. Thanks!

I had issues with that as well on my survivor run last time and I never found a way to easily kill the last guys without alerting anyone else.
Those guys on the scaffold right above the generator suck.

Indeed they do.

StuBurns

Banned
should i save my pills for master shiv and gun sway? the others don't seem like they will come in handy
Master shiv is kind of cool, but until it's fully upgraded, if you use it you're still in a bad situation, arguably a worse one depending on where the last check point was.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
should i save my pills for master shiv and gun sway? the others don't seem like they will come in handy
Gun sway is the most important upgrade. Master shiv comes in useful but you can wind up wasting a lot of shivs if you rely on it too much.

Raptor

I apreciate the fact that this game has the croucing animation how its suposed to be in real life, like Joel is balancing with his hands when he is moving crouching, in other games is very automated but not in here.

I don't mind how other games do it Im just saying that is amazing how ND out things that add to the immersion of the animations of the game, Joel moves and animates like a real human being lol.

Awesome stuff.

What difficulty are you on? I would say health and weapon sway first. Then anything you desire.

This trick worked on the PS3 version not sure if it changed on PS4 as I haven't tried it yet but wait to do your health until you're in a really bad spot because once you do it your health should be fully restored without using a health pack.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
What difficulty are you on? I would say health and weapon sway first. Then anything you desire.

This trick worked on the PS3 version not sure if it changed on PS4 as I haven't tried it yet but wait to do your health until you're in a really bad spot because once you do it your health should be fully restored without using a health pack.

It still works :)

Managed to activate photo mode at the last possible second after getting grabbed by a bloater. Evidently Joel's face turns into Raptor's anus.

iwPB1q9fZcPqv.jpg

oh jesus

Upinsmoke

Do i double dip or not? I clocked it first time round and enjoyed it immensely and tried to go again on survivor but only ever got a few hours in, just past the first segment. I didn't play the story dlc or the mp.

daveo42

Banned
Managed to activate photo mode at the last possible second after getting grabbed by a bloater. Evidently Joel's face turns into Raptor's anus.

iwPB1q9fZcPqv.jpg

That shot is fantastic. Bloaters don't mess around.

It still works :)

Yeah, that really helped when I finished Boston with like a tiny sliver of health left and it got refreshed at the start of the next section.

Personally I am filling out shivs first cause I'm just like having extra uses out of them incase I get into a hair situation and I have yet to have an issue with health or ammo. I think I've fired a single shot from my pistol and that was during the very first encounter in the game.

JB1981

playing grounded

Revs

Mine PS4 fan goes crazy when I'm idling in main menu. Console gets really noisy and I think it may overheat.
It is much better during regular gameplay. Anyone is having such issue?

Hubb

Mine PS4 fan goes crazy when I'm idling in main menu. Console gets really noisy and I think it may overheat.

My fan still goes while it is idling, doesn't sound anywhere near as bad as my PS3. I haven't really noticed a difference when I play the game vs. main menu, but I'll have to pay closer attention.

The back of the PS4 is hot to the touch when I play though.

So okay, do you have a Plasma? Because most of the comments I read seem to be people who have a plasma.
Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111fd, with ISF calibration. Still the same issue as others have said. From my perspective, it's the game, without a doubt. I've even had a moment where I was in the
hotel
, up against a window, and if I moved the camera angle in such a way the image became overly washed out. If I rotated it back a few degrees, the issue rectified itself. Honestly, I don't think it's that hard to believe. There are several other bugs and anomalies in the game, as evidenced by this thread.

guys quick question. i have avoided all tlou threads because i dont want to spoil anything but i really must ask this question. i have a ps3 and plan to buy ps4 late next year. i have been getting a urge to play tlou, shall i just buy the ps3 version? i heard the frame rate is crap, also i havnt seen any side by side comparison pics because i dont want to spoil anything, is their a major improvement in the ps4 version?

im thinking of just buying the ps3 version and then when i buy ps4 next year i will buy remastered edition and play the game again + dlc. should i just wait a year or is the ps3 version good?

Shredderi

I finally got my gold headset so I started the game today and DAMN it's good looking (and sounding, with the headphones). Looks better than in all the nice screenshots, and the 60fps... So good. I loved the beginning, now with smooth fps throughout. Also something I only noticed playing it now on my second playthrough
when you're in tommy's car and look outside the car in the back seat, sarah positions herself in the car in the direction you're looking at
. I love that kind of stuff. But yeah, the game is looking really sharp.

Nocturnx

I'm having a problem with the controls when remote playing to the Vita. In the button guide it says R2 and L2 are mapped to the back touchpad. But Iv'e found that L2/R2 along with L3/R3 are mapped to the 4 corners of the front touchpad. I've made sure the back touchpad is enabled in settings. How do I get the buttons to map to the back touchpad like they should?

daveo42

Banned
When I played through it on PS3, it's the first thing I upgraded.

The game became a cake walk after that. Finished it in 11 hours total time played, with 40% of the collectibles.

That doesn't sound nearly as fun. Also, I always feel like it takes me way longer to beat games in relation to other people on GAF. It took me around 18 hours on my first playthrough and then close to 20 on my Survivor run.

Maybe I don't run enough.

A question for those that have already completed it.

I just reached fall, after Henry shoot himself, how much more of the game do I left?

Thank you.

SSReborn

Is it just me or the remastered version less polished than the original?

A clicker just walked right through one side of a fence and walked right back through the other side again.

Dreez

Hmm if the shiv & new game+ glitches haven't been fixed... I wonder if they were on purpose & a form of new school cheat codes?

Actually, contrary to what a lot of people on here are saying, my PS4 doesn't get too loud when playing this game. After the disc stops spinning (which is the cause for most of the noise), it's nowhere near as loud as it was when I played Killzone SF. The fans do kick up, and they do make a noticeable noise, but it's not loud enough for me to be concerned.

I just realised something: I'm going to have a lot more points to spend elsewhere now that I'm playing with listen mode off. Yesssss.

Alienous

That doesn't sound nearly as fun. Also, I always feel like it takes me way longer to beat games in relation to other people on GAF. It took me around 18 hours on my first playthrough and then close to 20 on my Survivor run.

Maybe I don't run enough.

I wish I had recorded it, because I wasn't speed running it at all. I was taking it all in. I did complete it in a single sitting, though.

I just got momentum as I went on. After upgrading the weapon sway, the combat scenarios with hunters just became "I have 5 targets, I just need 5 bullets". As such, playing on Normal, I always had an excess of supplies. So as the game progressed I had enough bombs and molotovs to complete each infected/survivor encounter relatively easily.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I just reached fall, after Henry shoot himself, how much more of the game do I left?

Thank you.
About half.

I apreciate the fact that this game has the croucing animation how its suposed to be in real life, like Joel is balancing with his hands when he is moving crouching, in other games is very automated but not in here.

I don't mind how other games do it Im just saying that is amazing how ND out things that add to the immersion of the animations of the game, Joel moves and animates like a real human being lol.

Awesome stuff.
ND's animators are on a different plane of existence from the rest of the industry. Seeing these animations at 60 adds another layer of realism that wasn't there before.

daveo42

Banned
No way.

Health > Listen mode > sway

Listen mode is last as it isn't needed on lower difficulties and isn't available on the highest ones. I'd say it's the last one you pop pills into.

Thank you.

You should around 40% by that point I think in terms of completed game. Check your percent as that is a good indicator of how much game you have left.

Each chapter gets progressively shorter during the game, with Summer being the longest and Spring being the shortest.

Is it just me or the remastered version less polished than the original?

A clicker just walked right through one side of a fence and walked right back through the other side again.

I never played the original but one time a dude I was following straight-up vanished after walking through a door.

Actually, contrary to what a lot of people on here are saying, my PS4 doesn't get too loud when playing this game. After the disc stops spinning (which is the cause for most of the noise), it's nowhere near as loud as it was when I played Killzone SF. The fans do kick up, and they do make a noticeable noise, but it's not loud enough for me to be concerned.

I just realised something: I'm going to have a lot more points to spend elsewhere now that I'm playing with listen mode off. Yesssss.

Yeah I'm playing with Listen Mode off on Hard (first playthrough) and I accidentally spent those pill things or whatever on a listen mode upgrade. After like 5 seconds I was just like "Wait, what the hell am I doing" hahaha.

On the noise, my PS4 is quiet except when you first boot up or start the game. No one near my 360. I was never really bothered by the 360 until I started playing my PS4 a bunch. That thing is obnoxiously loud.

IndustryX

My favourite game of all time.

Beat it twice on ps3,playing again on hard mode right now on ps4 and I'm hooked all over again. Such satisfying game play, every situation is intense as hell when your playing stealth and conserving supplies, and the story and characters speak for themselves. Definitely gonna do grounded after this playthrough and hopefully shoot for platinum eventually.
I will say the game starts kind of slow especially after having played the beginning hours so many times but once you get to bill the game takes off and never lets go, sitting here at work and all I can do is think about playing a game I've beat multiple times.. so excited to get to winter, the cannibal part with David is one of the best experiences I've ever had in a video game.
really excited to play left behind all the way through as well, bought it on ps3 but never got all the way through it, so I'm looking forward to finishing that after this playthrough.

GOTG's if you've never played this game I can't recommend it enough so fucking awesome.

daveo42

Banned
I wish I had recorded it, because I wasn't speed running it at all. I was taking it all in. I did complete it in a single sitting, though.

I just got momentum as I went on. After upgrading the weapon sway, the combat scenarios with hunters just became "I have 5 targets, I just need 5 bullets". As such, playing on Normal, I always had an excess of supplies. So as the game progressed I had enough bombs and molotovs to complete each infected/survivor encounter relatively easily.

Ah, I took every encounter in the game as, how can I stealthily take all these guys out one at a time. Where are their openings and weaknesses I can exploit. I just loved stealth in that game, regularly avoiding enemies where I could on my follow-up playthrough.

mcfrank

It's def not a plasma only issue.... I have an LCD, tried PS3 version and don't have the issue. Never had a brightness/gamma issue on a game/movie. I also recorded the thing on twitch to see if I can see this on my PC Monitor, same thing happened, blacks = light grey (downtown part only), loading and pause screens blacks are fine though, hope Naughty Dog fixes this...

My Twitch PROOF: http://www.twitch.tv/jakeellis01/b/552804618

as you can see the blacks are fine at: 11:50
the gamma issue starts at the elevator scene excatly: 12:30 you can see the blacks brighten up and there are no real blacks anymore, just greys, you can especially see this at 13:55

isn't this proof enough that this a game issue? and nothing to do with TV Calibration/Settings?

Naughty Dog.... pls fix this ;'{

I had the issue at the same section. I am probably going to wait to keep going with the game until this is resolved. The whole point of replaying the game is to experience the better graphics. When some scenes look considerably worse than their PS3 counter parts, there is really no sense in wasting time with it.

Night time outside Boston and the Subway with spores were really terrible looking.

I have a super handy trick for this. You dont have to use any ammo or bombs or molotovs for this - just stealth. I got stuck here too until I tried this:
- Kill the two dudes at the start
- Go to the left into the field and slowly move forwards taking cover
- Kill the patrolling dude by choking him near the gate (make sure the dude near the searchlight doesnt see you)
- Now turn off the generator
- Move to your right, near the gate and hide against the wall here (the platform where the enemies jump down from)
- Once an enemy jumps down, quickly choke him. Repeat for all next enemies (you have just enough time to finish the choke animation)

The last dudes will come searching and you can take them out silently when they come near.

I did this on grounded difficulty and it worked perfectly!
I have never been able to go through this section without it turning into a brawl fest. I make it to the guy by the fence, but somebody by the watchtower always spots me. I let Henry take out the guys on the ground and just wait for the guys to drop down and beat their ass. This sounds like an actual plan. Gonna try it later.

chaosaeon

Was just watching a twitch stream of a guy playing Grounded. He got to
the first mix of runners and a clicker in the tipped building
and ragequitted after 3 identical attempts failed. Lol.

Raptor

ND's animators are on a different plane of existence from the rest of the industry. Seeing these animations at 60 adds another layer of realism that wasn't there before.

Yeah, I agree.

Also that shaking the controller to make the flashlight work is completly amazing, I love it a lot, when it first appeard on screen what I had to do and did it and the flashlight turned on again I smiled.

Then again I was one of the few that liked the Spray painting in Second Son, I even hold it sideways and all :)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yeah, I agree.

Also that shaking the controller to make the flashlight work is completly amazing, I love it a lot, when it first appeard on screen what I had to do and did it and the flashlight turned on again I smiled.

Then again I was one of the few that liked the Spray painting in Second Son, I even hold it sideways and all :)
I loved the spraypainting in SS. I held it that way too.

daveo42

Banned
Yeah, I agree.

Yeah, it's those nice touches I like too. It's a really ingenious way to use aspects of the controller that rarely get used or are shoehorned into the game for reasons. Can't wait to see what they do in UC4 with the new controller.

I have never been able to go through this section without it turning into a brawl fest. I make it to the guy by the fence, but somebody by the watchtower always spots me. I let Henry take out the guys on the ground and just wait for the guys to drop down and beat their ass. This sounds like an actual plan. Gonna try it later.

Yeah I did the same as suggested by accident just trying to hide. Works wonders.

Top Bottom