• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'm ready.

irfOJBM.png

I need one of these. Safe to say this thread is going to be interesting lol

The whole thing of analyzing how much of the game is cutscenes and QTEs has been quite ridiculous to say the least, I've never seen it done for other games, and how you even quantify what QTEs are?

QTE's are easily quantifiable as they're simply timed button prompts that appear during cinematics™ that give the player the illusion that they're still in control of the game.

Despera

Banned
The whole thing of analyzing how much of the game is cutscenes and QTEs has been quite ridiculous to say the least, I've never seen it done for other games, and how you even quantify what QTEs are?
It's a good thing and hopefully this is just the beginning.

I just can't get over the fact that there's so little content to beat it. 7 hours with cinematics is pretty brutal. It doesn't mean it's a bad game, but it does mean that it's the type of game that people are best to wait until i'ts on sale for $19.99 in 5 months.

Some of us have to make the "sacrifice" and buy it for $60 to ensure more sequels which you can also buy 5 months later for $19.99. That's how it works.

Combined with the fact ~3.5 hrs of the 7 hrs it took them to finish the game without running are cinematics...

I dunno, but the game sounds like an orgy of a lot of shitty modern game design philosophies.

Yeah, because game with a lot of cinematics can't be held in high regard, sure.

Hmm whats your opinion Gaf have the $150 premium edition preordered and im not rich what say you yae or nay?

I figured the sculpture and book with blood vile was cool however id hoped the game would help justify the cost a bit.However now it looks like maybe rental/used buy later especially cause single player only so would love to hear opinions.

If nay maybe ill give someone here a shot at it before returning it.

SerTapTap

Honest question folks, if Uncharted released today, how do you think the critics would have received it?

Its 88 on metacritic.

I dunno, without Uncharted I'm not sure we'd be as "saturated" with "cinematic" games--Uncharted definitely drove some interest in players and devs. Uncharted 1 was rough, but I think a U2 released today as the first of the series would score well.

11 minutes of QTEs is pretty long, imo. QTEs usually go like 10 seconds or something. Having 11 minutes of them, plus 2 odd hours of cutscenes in a 7~ish hour game is bad.

Despera

Banned
Yeah, because gam with a lot of cinematics can't be held in high regard, sure.
MGS sure has a lot of cinematics, but it also incorporates a lot of creative gameplay ideas and a variety of levels/situations... unlike what we've seen so far of this game.

Also, the ratio of cinemtics+QTEs to gameplay is pretty insane if this review is accurate. MGS was nowhere near that shit.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It's weird the embargo lifts a day before release. Why are publishers getting afraid of reviews, day by day?

Day before release is pretty standard. The only thing that would show they were afraid of scores would be day of release embargo or not sending out review copies.

It's weird the embargo lifts a day before release. Why are publishers getting afraid of reviews, day by day?

Publishers have been holding reviews till release date for ages now, since as far as i can remember. This isn't a new practice. The new practice was holding the review till after the game is out. And that practice got blasted pretty hard for being BS.

EL CUCO

DualShockers:
I asked Ready at Dawn CTO Andrea Pessino if we could get a photo mode added to the game in the future, and his response was quite enthusiastic.
"We haven’t announced anything yet, but I hope we’ll get to work on something like that, because I want to see it too. It would be really great. It’s not as easy as it seems, especially in our game because there’s all kinds of crazy stuff that happens behind the scenes to make it look so good, that once you freeze the camera and let the player move around, we have to be able to handle it correctly.
So it would be a little bit of work, but it’s something that, if we manage to do, I think it would be really spectacular and add a lot to the game."
Photo mode should atleast add 2 hrs of gameplay.

Zemm

11 minutes of QTEs is pretty long, imo. QTEs usually go like 10 seconds or something. Having 11 minutes of them, plus 2 odd hours of cutscenes in a 7~ish hour game is bad.

Yep, can't believe people are saying that's a short amount of time for qte's. This isn't ab telltale game, this is a shooter. 11 minutes of qte's is insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom