• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawg

andreaneukf.png

Sorry, Andrea <3

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The biggest question I have right now is whether this thread will dethrone the Uncharted 3 thread for the title of most infamous review thread of all time.
I think my favorite one is

Anyone who gives Uncharted 3 anything less than a 9.0 is nothing but a troll and deserves to be slapped.

And all this was over a game that wasn't released, was it even leaked at that time?

Corpsepyre

Banned
Day before release is pretty standard. The only thing that would show they were afraid of scores would be day of release embargo or not sending out review copies.

Used to be different. We would be having reviews out atleast a week before release just a couple of years back.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's reassuring that none of the impressions I've seen are negative about the action (gameplay) parts. Sounds like RAD did a good job on that even if there isn't a ton of it. Not being able to skip cutscenes might make replays a bit frustrating, but if the gameplay is satisfying, I'm sure I'll play it at least twice.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yep, can't believe people are saying that's a short amount of time for qte's. This isn't ab telltale game, this is a shooter. 11 minutes of qte's is insane.

Has anyone clarified how they got that number? It is the full runtime of cutscenes that include QTEs or what?

MGS sure has a lot of cinematics, but it also incorporates a lot of creative gameplay ideas and a variety levels/situations... unlike what we've seen so far of this game.

But you're criticizing the amount of cinematics and QTEs as a bad thing. Series like MGS and all of Telltale games embody a lot of these points of criticisms but are generally very well regarded.

You also have no idea if The Order has creative gameplay ideas or not.

Egging it on sure isn't helping -_-

No more than there being like 3 pages of gifs that are seemingly setting the stage. I'd like to see some mature and valid discussions about the review scores. My mind isn't made up on the game yet so I'm interested in dissecting the reviews and talking about them with others to get a better barometer of whether or not the game is worth the money to me. That's kind of what review threads on a discussion forum should be about.

shandy706

The biggest question I have right now is whether this thread will dethrone the Uncharted 3 thread for the title of most infamous review thread of all time.

Heheh, I don't think I've never seen that thread.

I see thuway and BruiserBear in there :p

Isn't 3 considered the least of the series by many/most?

Wait...that's OT...derp, NM.

I need to go read that thread sometime for entertainment purposes I suppose.

What's GAF going to do when the industry gets rid of review scores?
Actually read the text of reviews and have to discuss the merits of a game in an orderly fashion?

Lol. Who am I kidding.
No more than there being like 3 pages of gifs that are seemingly setting the stage. I'd like to see some mature and valid discussions about the review scores. My mind isn't made up on the game yet so I'm interested in dissecting the reviews and talking about them with others to get a better barometer of whether or not the game is worth the money to me. That's kind of what review threads on a discussion forum should be about.
I'm really hoping if this thread can't manage a discussion, maybe the OT will be filled with some discussion of people's impressions of the game, but I have this feeling the OT will be filled with people trying to share their YouTube "impressions."

Readingaid

Neo Member
I predict Eurogamer will favourably review the game in words then say you shouldnt buy it since it has no MP.

IGN will give it a 8 saying its stunning and atmospheric but the story is slow off the ground (based on impressions).

Youll most likely get the usual publications slating it, destructoid, polygon there will be the usual random publication giving a 3/10 because they are some aort of gaming hipster who simply cant tolerate anything cinematic IT MUST BE A SIDE SCROLLER WITH SPRITES!

I think it will sell enough to get a sequel and it will have a strong and passionate following that swear by it being one of the largest leaps in gaming to cinematic experiences ever.

It will probbaly lead on to a second game teased within two years that will cater to the criticisms and have a horde mode, some sort of hub world with useless fetch quests and some truly shocking dialogues having lost the intimacy with the characters. It will also have a added on MP mode woth COD style perks and upgrades and ublockable outfits. The original aufience will be alienated and the others will not pick it up because they hated the filmic experiemce of the first game. IP dies, everyone goes and buys ASSASINS: 16 BLACK FLAGS 17.

But you're criticizing the amount of cinematics and QTEs as a bad thing. Series like MGS and all of Telltale games embody a lot of these points of criticisms but are generally very well regarded.

You also have no idea if The Order has creative gameplay ideas or not.

Good point, I think a lot of the controversy is that a lot people want this to be like Gears of War or TLOU. Just have to wait and see.

I'm assuming it will be divisive and near the low to mid 70's.

Polygon will rip it to shreds. But who the hell cares what a reviewer thinks anyways? I think there's enought out in the open especially if you want to spoil yourself to make a judgement on your own.

That being said. Everytime the Order comes up shit hits the fan so we will see how bad the reviews hit people

Corpsepyre

Banned
Damn, this game's controversial. Never did I think it would heat up so many people when they showed it. Seemed like a standard third person cover shooter that could end up being really enjoyable, but I see The Order threads going into 3000-4000 numbers.

Really hoping this delivers.

I-hate-u

I dunno, without Uncharted I'm not sure we'd be as "saturated" with "cinematic" games--Uncharted definitely drove some interest in players and devs. Uncharted 1 was rough, but I think a U2 released today as the first of the series would score well.

I think just like some of the posters here said, it would be considerably lower. I think unless the game has top tier TLOU level writing, cinematic focused titles are not received as favorably as back in the day.

U2 and MW2 certainly influenced a generation of games that flooded the market that try to imitate the success. Even the successors to those games were scrutinized.

But how? Time for prompts on screen, time for actions to take place after hitting the buttons, or just the total runtime of cutscenes that contain QTEs? I don't understand how it's quantifiable.

The saddest part of all that is that life is short and someone took the time to count it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom