• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge: Almost every single Xbox executive we profiled last year has left MS

Mehdi has very little public showing these days. I might be wrong but I don't think he's been on stage since last year and whats wrong with Major Nelson? He's not a big decision maker, community guy...

M.Nelson is fine. in fact, Sony could really use a community personality just like him to interact with the PlayStation fan-base. because right now we have people who are not paid to interact with the community like Shu and Boyes. it's cool that they do but it's not their job.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Is there an inside joke I'm missing or are people really this crazy?

JrM7jx9.gif

I read the thread title as 'Almost every single Xbox exclusive we profiled last year has left MS'.

Kinda funny how that applies about as much as the real thread title, seeing as pretty much every exclusive they have has made its way to PC.

statham

M.Nelson is fine. in fact, Sony could really use a community personality just like him to interact with the PlayStation fan-base. because right now we have people who are not paid to interact with the community like Shu and Boyes. it's cool that they do but it's not their job.

I like Major, he does his podcasts, twitches games he plays, google hangout, and vocal on twitter. Too bad he doesn't post here.

is MS's original vision and ambition in conquering the living room with the Xbox One as a multi-purpose device truly dead or will they give it another serious try with the launch of Windows 10 next year?

To be fair, I believe this is Sony's desire as well. They are just being much smarter about marketing. You gotta win over the hardcore with gaming first, then you can sell the casual stuff to the masses later when you already control the market. It's not like Sony isn't trying to sell me music and movies in their store.

4Tran

In a workplace as cutthroat as Microsoft, it's not surprising that a product division that's fallen far short of their expectations has seen major personnel changes.

FordGTGuy

Banned
In a workplace as cutthroat as Microsoft, it's not surprising that a product division that's fallen far short of their expectations has seen major personnel changes.

Microsoft as a company has seen major personnel changes, has nothing to do with Xbox. Also Xbox isn't really it's own division anymore, that is not how Microsoft is structured anymore. Xbox is split up between different divisions, all OS development is handled by a single division including the Xbox One OS.

They just did a massive restructuring of the company.

M.Nelson is fine. in fact, Sony could really use a community personality just like him to interact with the PlayStation fan-base

The problem with Nelson is he has ZERO personality. To me he's always been the most banal, safe, wet bread milquetoast PR stooge that adds nothing to the brand.

Well, they made mistakes at launch and made changes to try and right things, which changed their focus.

It's not really surprising to me to see those people leaving when they're no longer part of Microsoft's strategy. I guess it does kind of highlight how much of a fuck up the launch period was though.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Their design changes are definitely paying off. I'm getting an Xbox one today however my brother now has one, my sister is thinking of getting one, her boyfriend has one, my cousin is thinking of getting one and all my friends have one.

The price changes and amazing bundles here in Australia are no doubt helping push it into homes, and good on Microsoft for doing so.

JaggedSac

60% of the folks they profiled have left. I guess this means almost.

20% have been promoted.

20% has same job.

Strange article.

Nilay is a fucktard. IR is a great cheap solution to controlling pretty much 100% of the devices in an entertainment center.

Apps are coming with Win10. At least one app on the store is already a universal one.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Even in it's current form, the Xbox One could still be that living room behemoth. It's a bona fide media player now (although the app needs a little more work and refinement) and fully support universal remotes.

So I don't see how anything about the TV aspect has actually changed.

LOL

You do realize that the Xbox One merely helps control the wide variety of devices used by your TV right?

The article slams IR for no good reason, it's a cheap old technology that works with just about any device under a TV. Xbox One uses it perfectly, it can turn on and off all your devices with a single command. It can also send a variety of commands to specific devices in your living room.

Trust me..I love my Xbox One, but the ONLY TV command I use it for is turning things on and off. I obviously watch TV through it, but still use my regular cable remote for volume and channels. I tried the all-in-one commands through the Xbox One itself and I just found it to be a clunky mess. The only reason I still have the TV passing through it is because I like the notifications of when friends come online while I'm watching something. Otherwise, I really just want it to be a game box.

The problem with Nelson is he has ZERO personality. To me he's always been the most banal, safe, wet bread milquetoast PR stooge that adds nothing to the brand.

maybe, but he's very accessible and always seems to be active on his blog, reddit and twitter answering questions. I really want the same level of community interaction with Sony, they really need it.

FordGTGuy

Banned
FordGTGuy == Larry, that would explain a lot...

Man, I'll take that money and resume.

... but I'll keep my youth.

Trust me..I love my Xbox One, but the ONLY TV command I use it for is turning things on and off. I obviously watch TV through it, but still use my regular cable remote for volume and channels. I tried the all-in-one commands through the Xbox One itself and I just found it to be a clunky mess. The only reason I still have the TV passing through it is because I like the notifications of when friends come online while I'm watching something. Otherwise, I really just want it to be a game box.

I use it to change volume, mute and generally anything that I can do without having to reach for my remote. They need more commands in my opinion, I would love a change input command. "Xbox Input 1" or so on.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
When I talk about the Xbox One I think about it in two chapters.

Xbone - The flawed and terrible console idea that would have launched if Microsoft hadn't listened to the consumers.

XBO - The console that it has now transformed into. Focused on games and being an attractive console for consumers.

I'd argue that everyone invested in Xbone had to go. They could't afford people working on a console idea that can't exist. They're basicly trying to turn a bad situation into a liveable one. Kudos to them. I think they're doing a great job. Too bad they've forgotten the second tier countries yet again.

Odah

Banned
rip first post.

anyways, I dont think Major Nelson has to go, hes not really a bad person at all. He just has to be the "face" of these suits for the community. I feel bad for him actually. Hes not a big decision maker within xbox I think. he is the connection man between head of xbox/ms to the fans. Which can be a pretty bad job when your company did nothing but bad stuff

When I talk about the Xbox One I think about it in two chapters.

Xbone - The flawed and terrible console idea that would have launched if Microsoft hadn't listened to the consumers.

XBO - The console that it has now transformed into. Focused on games and being an attractive console for consumers.

I'd argue that everyone invested in Xbone had to go. They could't afford people working on a console idea that can't exist. They're basicly trying to turn a bad situation into a liveable one. Kudos to them. I think they're doing a great job. Too bad they've forgotten the second tier countries yet again.

Same here. While I am not interested in the platform, I do find Microsofts' efforts to correct their mistakes to be quite impressive.

Tobor

Ummmmm, Isn't that exactly what his job basically amounts to?

He does a great job as a community manager, and I would hate to see him go.

He was so obnoxious and condescending though. That's not part of the job.

The "Have you seen Titanfall?" incident was enough cause on its own.

vesvci

Banned
Cool. so, I'll never buy a Sonos product.

Focus on exclusives and don't money hat for parity (allegedly) and I'll keep buying XBox products.

see5harp

Good. Bring some fresh blood in. It's pretty obvious the TV stuff was rejected by the public as a whole. I'm still glad I have a Kinect though.

RdN

You don't fail as these people failed with the Xbox One launch and get to keep your job.

All the changes MS has made so far were positives. I think Xbox is in a good position.

Top Bottom