• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge: Almost every single Xbox executive we profiled last year has left MS

Adam Blue

Nelson is a must.

I don't know. I think Nelson is a very good 'play it safe' community leader. He's very good at what he does.

They could be edgy and get someone a little more personal with their thoughts? But Hryb does A LOT of things (blog updates, podcast, outreach, first line of defense, etc) that would be very stressful.

That angry Joe looks like the ugly dude out of nsync

LOL

He does!

Chris-Kirkpatrick-AP-300x224.jpg

wedward

They removed the functionality these people were responsible for.

Seems pretty clear why they are no longer with the company.

vesvci

Banned

Wow. I've never really seen this before...interesting. Angry Joe had balls to ask these question, fucking awesome.

Major Nelson (or whatever his name is) was not so bad, he was polite enough. Obviously, he was irritated at the questions. He's too much of a corporate stiff (no pun intended). He's a salesman. I don't want a salesman to convince me to play a console or game. It's ok to promote a product, but damn, when you're not listening to criticism to obvious flaws, that's a problem. They need someone younger and with a different perspective.

JaggedSac

Ballmer's Windows walled-garden strategy is dead and with it the narrow vision of controlling the TV is also dead. His successor, Nadella is about MS infrastructure and services powering productivity and experiences on as many devices and OS as possible, allowing the user to move freely between screens and platforms. Xbox will follow suit and it's going to require new leadership to make it happen.

With Windows 10 I think we'll see the Xbox brand becoming one of the major attached services with the OS by the time it officially launches next fall, with more cross-device games and incentives to signup for Xbox Live Gold. I believe the Xbox One will continue getting exclusive and timed-exclusive games for the next year, but the long-term strategy is to transition Xbox into a platform as a service and develop more games as a service.

That was a plan long before Nadella became CEO. Take a look at the leaked slides. Xbox was going to become a multi device platform.

I hope they fired whoever came up with the new party system. I'll never understand why they decided to fuck up something that they did perfectly in the previous generation.

Jomjom

Banned
"Spencer is a games guy, and his focus on games is paying off, as the Xbox One just outsold the PS4 for the first time in November."

Really. The focus on games paid off? Not the insane discounting? Guess they left a lot of money on the table this holiday season then.

Yeah I don't get the press sometimes. Articles about PS4 selling well despite not having games when in actuality it has the most games of any console. Xbox One's success attributed to a "games focus" when at least in this short term it was obviously the deep discounting and bundling of free games. Don't get it at all.

I mean if MS raises the price back up to $400 in January and it continues outselling the PS4 THEN write that crap about "focusing on games".

It's like some people in the games press willfully ignore the most reasonable, obvious, logical explanations for things and instead go looking for some "it was aliens" kind of ridiculous reasoning.

Yeah I don't get the press sometimes. Articles about PS4 selling well despite not having games when in actuality it has the most games of any console. Xbox One's success attributed to a "games focus" when at least in this short term it was obviously the deep discounting and bundling of free games. Don't get it at all.

I mean if MS raises the price back up to $400 in January and it continues outselling the PS4 THEN write that crap about "focusing on games".

Don't read too much into it.

SerTapTap

An interesting narrative will often prevail over the boring truth

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
They had a good holiday season because Phil Spencer is focusing on games?
I thought it was because they gave consoles away.

Purest 78

It doesn't matter who leaves or stays or what ever they choose to talk about, it won't change what the hardware was built around.

Majine

Banned
They had a good holiday season because Phil Spencer is focusing on games?
I thought it was because they gave consoles away.

Indirectly. Since the last holiday, they took the Kinect out. You know, the thing that has close to no game applications.

RedSwirl

I like the idea of the Xbox running Windows apps honestly. It's a way to increase the functionality of the system without intruding on its ability to play games.

Sometimes I wish Xbox from the beginning had simply been some kind of Windows console, but what are the odds of Microsoft having ever been able to pull that off?

kyser73

Ballmer's Windows walled-garden strategy is dead and with it the narrow vision of controlling the TV is also dead. His successor, Nadella is about MS infrastructure and services powering productivity and experiences on as many devices and OS as possible, allowing the user to move freely between screens and platforms. Xbox will follow suit and it's going to require new leadership to make it happen.

With Windows 10 I think we'll see the Xbox brand becoming one of the major attached services with the OS by the time it officially launches next fall, with more cross-device games and incentives to signup for Xbox Live Gold. I believe the Xbox One will continue getting exclusive and timed-exclusive games for the next year, but the long-term strategy is to transition Xbox into a platform as a service and develop more games as a service.

Those last two lines are the scariest thing ever when it comes to gaming, and make the original DRM plans seem mild.

GaaS is essentially what PSNow does - but Linked with PaaS within a single OS/Cloud/non-gaming services ecosystem which might include Internet of Things control systems, and in which all these components are deeply hooked into each other (such as the hooks between Azure & new version of server which have raised a few eyebrows in the professional IT realm) MS is laying the groundwork for another land grab bigger in scope than when it integrated Explorer into Windows.

Many of those who were let go are the ones behind TV TV TV.

They promoted the guy who was in charge of games Spencer.

This isn't Xbox is a sinking ship, its MS cleaning house on many of those who almost destroyed the brand.

onQ123

The Xbox One you see today is not the plan that MS had for the Xbox.
I don't think people understand how much Kinect 2.0 coming out of the standard package has hurt MS's vision. Xbox One was to be the iPad of the living room. Kinect was a big part of that.
Besides Xbox Live Xbox One has to seem like a redundant product to most people at MS right now. But I'm sure they have a plan to turn things around but it might not be what the people who worked hard on the brand had in mind.

Sydle

That was a plan long before Nadella became CEO. Take a look at the leaked slides. Xbox was going to become a multi device platform.

Just looked through it again (it's been a while), you're right. Thanks for the reminder.

Also makes me wonder about the glasses all over again.

Those last two lines are the scariest thing ever when it comes to gaming, and make the original DRM plans seem mild.

GaaS is essentially what PSNow does - but Linked with PaaS within a single OS/Cloud/non-gaming services ecosystem which might include Internet of Things control systems, and in which all these components are deeply hooked into each other (such as the hooks between Azure & new version of server which have raised a few eyebrows in the professional IT realm) MS is laying the groundwork for another land grab bigger in scope than when it integrated Explorer into Windows.

Not sure how it's scary. If people don't like it MS will adjust until they hit the right chords to get it on a growth track.

TyrantII

I actually like Major Nelson lol. I didn't know he is hated by a lot of people. I'm guessing a lot of people here don't like him cause of the "flip switching" incident with Angry Joe

Last gen he was far more Greenberg than he is now, rah-rah'ing and adding gasoline to idiot fanboy fires.

He's either realized that's foolish, or he's smart enough to realize it's just off message when you're working hard to come from behind.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/29/7463949/xbox-executives-leaving-microsoft-tv-apps-dead

All in one year. So GAF, is MS's original vision and ambition in conquering the living room with the Xbox One as a multi-purpose device truly dead or will they give it another serious try with the launch of Windows 10 next year?

Hopefully not.

Sony showed that ship sailed even before their 2007 launch of a $500 media center console. 6 years later, the living room is even less of the centerpiece of the average family. They both missed the boat by a decade with the rise of smartphones, tablets, and display computing devices everywhere.

HokieJoe

60% of the folks they profiled have left. I guess this means almost.

20% have been promoted.

20% has same job.

Strange article.

Nilay is a fucktard. IR is a great cheap solution to controlling pretty much 100% of the devices in an entertainment center.

Apps are coming with Win10. At least one app on the store is already a universal one.

Yep. Nothing wrong with IR. It was a practical solution.

onQ123

Many of those who were let go are the ones behind TV TV TV.

They promoted the guy who was in charge of games Spencer.

This isn't Xbox is a sinking ship, its MS cleaning house on many of those who almost destroyed the brand.

To be the media hub of the living room is what MS always wanted of the Xbox & it fell short at the most important moment. The people they cleaned out isn't responsible for the direction they was going in they just didn't succeed at the job they was hired for. And when it failed they was no longer needed.

The Xbox One you see today is not the plan that MS had for the Xbox.
I don't think people understand how much Kinect 2.0 coming out of the standard package has hurt MS's vision. Xbox One was to be the iPad of the living room. Kinect was a big part of that.
Besides Xbox Live Xbox One has to seem like a redundant product to most people at MS right now. But I'm sure they have a plan to turn things around but it might not be what the people who worked hard on the brand had in mind.

the problem is, it was a bad plan to begin with. $500 is just too much of an asking price. and everything nadella has done since taking over has been a reversal of the "we want to directly compete with apple" mindset that balmer had lately. microsoft is moving closer to being platform agnostic in nearly every facet now. they release updates for their android and iphone apps before they do windows phone. office is on every platform you could imagine. they are working on android app emulation in windows, consolidating their OSs, etc. they want to lock people in to subscriptions and their ecosystem without forcing them to buy hardware. it wouldn't be crazy to assume that xbox could take a similar route going forward. xbox as a service. steam of the living room so to speak.

Neff

Microsoft made a shitload of mistakes with XB1, coming this close to creating a console nobody wanted. That they not only acknowledged their mistakes, but acted on and largely fixed them within a year, is very impressive and showed a lot of modesty. But it was no doubt costly, and probably a few close to the project saw their ego and pride taken down a peg or two, so it's really not at all surprising that we've seen the XB1 team reshuffled so drastically since launch.

The vision of XB1 was ambitious, but simply wrong for the market it was trying to woo, because it just didn't exist. MS was never going to sell a new console to people wanting a living room entertainment box, particularly when several very good ones were already on the market. They may start to chase that market again when more units are out there in the wild, but for now, they need to chase gamers, pure and simple, and they're doing a very good job of that right now.

Gator86

"Spencer is a games guy, and his focus on games is paying off, as the Xbox One just outsold the PS4 for the first time in November."

Really. The focus on games paid off? Not the insane discounting? Guess they left a lot of money on the table this holiday season then.

Yeah, I'd argue it's less a focus on games and more the ridiculous deals. Considering this week had a deal featuring an XBone with Assassin's Creed and a year of Xbox Live for $250, I'm thinking just about anyone with a business background could move some units as Xbox Chief.

Canucked

Xbox is obviously cursed. That's what tomb raider is about. Finding the relic that will save the company. If you can keep Lara from being impaled on sharply angled PS4s. it's exclusive because it makes no sense on PS4.

Sorry spoilers.

FuturusX

What's not to hate about Nelson? He's effectively a paid cheerleader...the Pompom's are always within reach.

Perhaps I'm just jaded. Yeah that could be it.

FStop7

Banned
The problem with Nelson is he has ZERO personality. To me he's always been the most banal, safe, wet bread milquetoast PR stooge that adds nothing to the brand.

He had a lot of personality when he was lower profile. Once he became so highly visible he definitely went through corporate sanitizing of his public persona, unfortunately.

Top Bottom