• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge: Microsoft 'has been testing a variety of prototype Xbox devices'

Didn't Phil Spencer say he doesn't like the idea of an Xbox 1.5?

then again he seems to say whatever people want to hear at the time
No, and I still don't know how that was the takeaway from that thread.

He literally confirmed they are having an super xbox one, he simply said it would be a very big upgrade instead of a half (.5) measure.

McHuj

there's no contradiction. He said a .5 increase was pointless, it would need to be a meaningful increase.

Yes, this seems a very difficult point for many to grasp...

At this point an Xbox with a 4Tflop GPU like PS4K, would be a pretty substantial jump and relatively bigger than a PS4 to PS4K. I don't think it would qualify as just a 1.5 upgrade. An Xbox 1.5 would be more inline with the already existing PS4.

I actually hope both Sony and MS, end up with even more similar hardware in their upgraded consoles so it's even easier on the devs.

Xbox One point 69!

scrubs-todd-o.gif

Alx

there's no contradiction. He said a .5 increase was pointless, it would need to be a meaningful increase.

I wonder if he had a good idea of what the PS4.5/4K/NEO would be, since it clearly qualifies as a ".5" (similar stuff with boosted performances). Probably so. It may have been a first jab in the coming confrontation of updated hardwares.

ekim

So they are making an Xbox-branded PC then, potentially?
Interesting, to say the least.

Nah they are simply testing prototypes with stock HW. I wouldn't build a new custom APU for every prototype. The first Durango Devkits also were normal PCs with stock 680s.

Rymuth

No he says what he actually believes, people hear what they want to hear though.
So....you believe the Parity clause doesn't exist (like he said) and that the Mods/indie Devs on GAF are lying?

And you're saying you believe Sony paid to keep FF14 off Xbone (which is what he said) and that the producer of FF14 and the Mods are lying?

You can't have it both ways. One of either party is lying. which is it?

Zedox

Well, I won't be buying one at launch, but I know I'll be tempted when they show it off. Why would I not? Because I look right now and I can get a XBO with 4 games for $350. I can wait a year or so.

gamz

Well, I won't be buying one at launch, but I know I'll be tempted when they show it off. Why would I not? Because I look right now and I can get a XBO with 4 games for $350. I can wait a year or so.

Trying to convince yourself not to. It's admirable at least.

This smells like a controlled leak due to the recent PS4K news. Whatever the case, I look forward to hearing more about the upgraded system.

He also said Microsoft had an interest in catering to the PC audience with quality titles and timely support.

Anything to say to that, Philly?
smug-phil-spencer-o.gif

No he says what he actually believes, people hear what they want to hear though.
In the case of things like Scalebound or Crackdown or Quantum Break, you know, just to be completely honest with you, we started those games before we really looked at expanding into Windows in the way that I wanted to bring as part of becoming head of Xbox.

"Going to those teams mid-cycle and saying: ‘Hey, by the way, I want to add a platform,’ didn’t really feel like necessarily the best way to end up with the best result for the game.'
6 months later, the PC version of QB is announced.

He may not be a liar, exactly, but he is a master of purposefully misleading statements.

Varg

Banned
It's more that the statements and the statements are in conflict.

Phil Spencer one day:

Phil Spencer another day:

What's conflicting about the second statement though? He's saying he doesn't want no weak ass upgrade if they do this. He wants something substantial. Looking forward to what they have planned for e3

Trup1aya

Being in the 'prototyping' phase doesn't make it seem like we'll be getting iterative Xbox one releases this gen. The only announcement I'd expect from MS on the console front is a xb1 slim.

leeh

So it's going to be a new Xbox... But it won't be a successor the way the Xbox One was to the Xbox 360... And they'll all play the same games but the newer Xbox will play them better...

What's not incremental about that?
Their strategy going forward is that every device they make runs the same underlying OS. Xbox is even aligned with the windows insider programe now, they run the same builds at the same time.

I'd wager that every Xbox which releases in the future will be the same. Xbox is a platform for them now. He's going to be talking in terms of hardware rather than what it runs.

dancmc

3 potential hardware announces at E3 (Nintendo for sure; but also Sony and MS)...E3 hype train in full effect!!!

Zedox

Trying to convince yourself not to. It's admirable at least.

I know right. Well, it depends. I'm getting married this November so my money is basically gone money (not getting in no debt from the wedding, all cash homie). I could get it for Christmas or my birthday but I already want a Surfacebook for game development and software development at my job but I may wait for the second one on that. We shall see, as I already want and need a second XBO for the bedroom so I may get it next year (I gotta have Kinect...TV is the best with it).

I will convince myself until the end! LOLOLOL. (and then buy it right when it launches and look like a fool to myself. HA)

wapplew

3 potential hardware announces at E3 (Nintendo for sure; but also Sony and MS)...E3 hype train in full effect!!!

Who knows, maybe MS alone have 3 potential hardwares at E3. Xbox 1 slim, Xbox 1 pro and Xbox 1 ultimate.
More option always better right?

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Wow. The battle for shelf space is going to be tough. PS4, PS4Neo, Xbox One, Xbox Two, NX console, NX Handheld, Three VR systems.....

gamz

I know right. Well, it depends. I'm getting married this November so my money is basically gone money (not getting in no debt from the wedding, all cash homie). I could get it for Christmas or my birthday but I already want a Surfacebook for game development and software development at my job but I may wait for the second one on that. We shall see, as I already want and need a second XBO for the bedroom so I may get it next year (I gotta have Kinect...TV is the best with it).

I will convince myself until the end! LOLOLOL. (and then buy it right when it launches and look like a fool to myself. HA)

Been there done that. My first Wedding was 40K (although her parents paid for it). Second wedding was 20 bucks at the local courthouse.

Anyway, congrats on the wedding and see you in the Xbox upgrade thread. lol

AP90

This makes more sense for Microsoft than a Xbox 1.5 honestly.

An Xbox one that can run steam is far more useful and has more crossover appeal than a PS4k.

This. And hopefully the Xbox successor in the future has sufficient horsepower to run these games with great frame rates. And...be able to run occulus (being able to run games well on it, not just theater room projection) if it's actually feasible and or in the cards

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
So consoles going forward will be like steam boxes which everyone praised valve for doing. But ms n Sony etc will get flak for it

SaucyJack

So they are making an Xbox-branded PC then, potentially?
Interesting, to say the least.

What would be the difference between an Xbox-branded PC and a PC?

Given XBO is a Win10 device, many XBO titles are finding they're way onto Win 10 store, doesn't this sound a bit like MS exiting the physical console business whilst retaining the Xbox brand?

AP90

Congrats Zedox! I am in the same boat with you as my wedding is at the end of may. Then house hunting begins. It's all about the timing to see if I jump on an Xbox One revision as well.. The good news is that with weddings, ideally we should be able to make back like 1/3 of the cost haha (not including the wedding shower gifts and etc.)

Zedox

Been there done that. My first Wedding was 40K (although her parents paid for it). Second wedding was 20 bucks at the local courthouse.

Anyway, congrats on the wedding and see you in the Xbox upgrade thread. lol

40k, jesus. Thanks man. I'll see you there either way. :)

AP90 said:
Congrats Zedox! I am in the same boat with you as my wedding is at the end of may. Then house hunting begins. It's all about the timing to see if I jump on an Xbox One revision as well.. The good news is that with weddings, ideally we should be able to make back like 1/3 of the cost haha (not including the wedding shower gifts and etc.)

Thanks. Congrats to you too! :)

Top Bottom