• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge: Microsoft 'has been testing a variety of prototype Xbox devices'

dancmc

Who knows, maybe MS alone have 3 potential hardwares at E3. Xbox 1 slim, Xbox 1 pro and Xbox 1 ultimate.
More option always better right?

Right?!! Can't wait for more details!! (am also a sucker for new hardware...who isn't right)....although if MS does announce some type of higher end box....the details of that box (i.e.,Vive or Oculus Rift support) and what they commit to regarding MS published software (i.e., will Halo 6 be day 1 on PC) will ultimately help me make a decision on whether to get the new Xbox console vs. a new high end gaming PC...

Detective

If I were MS :
oculus support
Steam support:
Cross buy xbox and Windows 10
Elite Controller

A leap in hardware upgrade. A big one.
Sell X1 for 249

Forward compatible games.Just like PC. The game performance Will depend on your hardware.

Name it Xbox 10 or X

4k gaming.

Price 599

Again, just like PC. Medium to Ultra. Same game.

Elandyll

Banned
I really don't see how they conflict each other. He's just basically saying if they do a new box, it won't be an incremental upgrade.
According to his own statements, it could only be one of 3 things:

1) Incremental upgrade (which he is now saying he is against after describing that very process originally)
2) Brand new gen equivalent, with such a jump that it effectively renders the XB1 obsolete
3) a Win10 HTPC equivalent, which is honestly where I think they have been heading, but it seems a tad early to make that jump.

There will be a LOT of teeth gnashing and backlash when reality sets in imo, even though the move appears both logical and inevitable (at least to me).

gamz

If I were MS :
oculus support
Steam support:
Cross buy xbox and Windows 10
Elite Controller

A leap in hardware upgrade. A big one.
Sell X1 for 249

Forward compatible games.Just like PC. The game performance Will depend on your hardware.

Name it Xbox 10 or X

4k gaming.

Price 599

Again, just like PC. Medium to Ultra. Same game.

Not gonna happen

Gut feeling is that it's a slim model of the current version and nothing more. I have learned to cool expectations when it comes to the Xbox division over the last four-five years. I would be surprised at any substantial cpu/gpu upgrade.

cilonen

If they take the leap to be a big step in front of what Sony is doing with the NEO upgrade, and they do it in the same time frame then the system is going to be prohibitively expensive.

I know some of the hardcore here are shouting for Oculus support built in but a PC that gets you that is what, $800 at best?

So it's either a small bump, similar to Sony in a similar timeframe at a similar price, effectively an Xbox 1.5, or if Phil is true to his word it's an $800+ monster box.

Detective

Not gonna happen

You never know. It could work out just like a PC if they are building it. You can't say no to steam on a Windows 10 box. Its Windows after all.

This way they will capture lots of customers.

People who wants to upgrade
New comers
Old PC users
PC to console like PC

And of course, mouse and keyboard support.

Zedox

I think they'll come out with several new Xbox Ones. A dGPU one and a single but upgraded one. Why? Just cuz a man can dream. LOL. A premium version and a new version.

Xbox One : Our current version
Xbox One + : Smaller but more powerful version (PS4.5 equivalent)
Xbox One Pro : Everything from XBO+ but with Elite Controller and dGPU (Premium price)

I really hope they blow it out of the park with whatever they do.

I'd be more inclined to buy an improved Xbox than another PS4 because at least then I'll be in two ecosystems and have access to two sets of exclusive games.

Plus I did always have a smooth experience with my 360.

It only makes sense. They have no choice but to compete with whatever Sony does. They'd be crazy dumb not to. They can't just leave the door wide open for Sony to take.

Zyae

The way this is phrased sounds like things are far off. Microsoft testing a variety of prototype devices does not sound like something which is decided on yet, or in the hands of devs, and certainly not something ready for launch this year.

It feels like Sony might catch Microsoft out here, again. Giving an even bigger power gap is not something they want.

You say this as if Sonys idea is a good thing and guaranteed to be a sucess

wapplew

If MS choose much better CPU and maybe lesser GPU, all titles can go for 1080@60, which will be much better selling point than 1080@30 with better effect on PS4 Neo.

AP90

I think they'll come out with several new Xbox Ones. A dGPU one and a single but upgraded one. Why? Just cuz a man can dream. LOL. A premium version and a new version.

($249) Xbox One : Our current version (500gig)
($300) Xbox One : Our current version (1TB)
($400) Xbox One + : Smaller but more powerful version (PS4.5 equivalent)
($499-$549) Xbox One Pro : Everything from XBO+ but with Elite Controller and dGPU (Premium price)

If the above were to happen, I'd see the prices I added as reasonable.

You guys asking for steam support.... I can't. Why would MS give up their margin to support Steam? They make money on selling software. They don't make much money on the hardware.

This makes more sense for Microsoft than a Xbox 1.5 honestly.

An Xbox one that can run steam is far more useful and has more crossover appeal than a PS4k.

next step would to convince valve to make steam into a uwp and then convince all the other devs to make a uwp version of their game already in steam.

If they do go this route, they still have a lot of work to do and swade devs to make a uwp of their games.

idk maybe im wrong cause i dont know much about dev processes and just going by what i've heard.

gamz

You never know. It could work out just like a PC if they are building it. You can't say no to steam on a Windows 10 box. Its Windows after all.

This way they will capture lots of customers.

People who wants to upgrade
New comers
Old PC users
PC to console like PC

And of course, mouse and keyboard support.

Why in hell would they want to support Steam on their Xbox console?

I really don't see how they conflict each other. He's just basically saying if they do a new box, it won't be advertised as an incremental upgrade.
Fixed

All he was saying is that they wont come out and say "Here is a slightly better version of the console you could already buy", instead it will be something like "Our brand new, totally different, super powerful X Box Two".

The main reason he said what he did in my mind is because they saw the backlash Sony were getting from some hardcore fans and wanted to avoid that, plus not revealing their hand by basically announcing their plans outright.

EvB

Why in hell would they want to support Steam on their Xbox console?

Because Microsoft want you to buy their hardware they make little profit on and then give Valve money for games!

Oh wait . They don't want that at all

NHale

It feels like Sony might catch Microsoft out here, again.

It does seem that Sony is catching and largely surpassing Microsoft in the screwing up their marketing and loyal userbase contest.

Xbox One : Our current version
Xbox One + : Smaller but more powerful version (PS4.5 equivalent)
Xbox One Pro : Everything from XBO+ but with Elite Controller and dGPU (Premium price)

Why name it + or Pro? Just name it like they already did with regions/countries. The Tier 1 console, Tier 2 and Tier 3 for the poor and sad people.

Well, it has become obvious that Sony is doing it. Microsoft really doesn't have a choice here.

Of course it does. Just because Sony is doing a mistake you don't have to do it as well. But hey I'm not a marketing guru.

EvB

Didn't Phil Spencer say he doesn't like the idea of an Xbox 1.5?

Phil Spencer said:
I’m not a big fan of Xbox One and a half. If we’re going to move forward, I want to move forward in big numbers," Spencer said. "I don’t know anything about any of the rumors that are out there, but I can understand other teams’ motivations to do that. For us, our box is doing well. It performs, it’s reliable, the servers are doing well. If we’re going to go forward with anything, like I said, I want it to be a really substantial change for people – an upgrade.

Is there really that much room for interpretation with what he's said?

Kael

Banned
Didn't Phil Spencer say he doesn't like the idea of an Xbox 1.5?

then again he seems to say whatever people want to hear at the time

I suggest you go google what he said and read it very carefully then you will know to remove your comment.

Kael

Banned
Is there really that much room for interpretation with what he's said?

basically what he said was he doesn't want to do a small incremental upgrade. If they are going to do something they are going to go big. Of course people will twist it and say he lied.

btrboyev

Well all this talk of ms and Sony releasing new hardware already benefits Nintendo imo. 4 years was early for them, but now it's not looking so bad at all.

speedomodel

If they have a substantially more power option or slimmer version for a good price, I can see myself biting. Excited to see what they announce.

It only makes sense. They have no choice but to compete with whatever Sony does. They'd be crazy dumb not to. They can't just leave the door wide open for Sony to take.
I actually think PS4K is a response to W10, it basically changed the console space since most likely MS won't ever change the OS in their console (or at least won't until the whole MS migrate toa new version of Windows. It guarantees a continued compatibility to the console similar to PC and Sony couldn't stay behind.
Probably they are developing the X1.5 alongside developers to take full advantage of UWA.

jbug617

Banned
All this says to me is Microsoft is not close to launching new upgraded hardware. Maybe by the Fall they lock in the specs and start getting dev kits to developers.

It would be interesting to see if a new Xbox One would be announced in October though. Microsoft usually holds an event in October for Surface and with the Surface team now doing hardware for Xbox I think it's a possibility.

odhiex

no conflict means there will be a new generation console because "upgraded console but not incremental improvements they will be substantial" sounds like a next generation console to me rather than just upgraded.

Xbox Two?

A next XBOX console through halfway of the generation?

big_z

-out power the ps4k
-offer an aggressive trade in promo (trade in ps4/xbone get xbox2.0 for $149-$199 + a year of live)
-???
-lead the new console generation

gamz

All this says to me is Microsoft is not close to launching new upgraded hardware. Maybe by the Fall they lock in the specs and start getting dev kits to developers.

It would be interesting to see if a new Xbox One would be announced in October though. Microsoft usually holds an event in October for Surface and with the Surface team now doing hardware for Xbox I think it's a possibility.

They already said that all new substantial hardware upgrades will be with Redstone 2 next Spring. They'll probably do a new Suface, but not a Surface Pro or Surface Book until next Spring. So does this mean they wait until then for a Xbox 2? Dunno?

oti

Banned
Right?!! Can't wait for more details!! (am also a sucker for new hardware...who isn't right)....although if MS does announce some type of higher end box....the details of that box (i.e.,Vive or Oculus Rift support) and what they commit to regarding MS published software (i.e., will Halo 6 be day 1 on PC) will ultimately help me make a decision on whether to get the new Xbox console vs. a new high end gaming PC...

o_O

That made me stop for a second.

It's just going to be hard to get sales for these new boxes, there has to be a very good reason to upgrade right now. more power doesn't win, i think.

the rumors and the statements are in conflict.

strange that Phil is the one who started this whole "upgraded console" thing and then goes back and says he is not a fan of an Xbox 1.5. so what's the deal here?
To be fair, he said he didn't want it to be .5 he wanted a significant step up.

Very interesting to see what route MS takes.Maybe go for brute power and outdo Sony.Or add Occulus support,make it Slim.Price obviously important to.

Either way whatever happens,they'll be some cheap Ps4s and Xbox One's going once these come out

Top Bottom