• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atcha

I know this is a joke but. Why do a lot of people assume UE4 won't be able to scale down to UE3 levels (while probably doing a better job at it anyway)?

It reminds the same idea spread by Seriouslolz analysts about the UE3 on Wii :| \o/

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Watching the rest of E3 2006 Nintendo conference (got about half way last night) is even more depressing. Iwata is boasting about all these ideas that will never truly see their potential. WiiConnect24 is the most sour note.

Nibel

Samaritan isn't only one of the best looking techs right now, but for me it looks interesting. If this will be actually "Deus Ex meets Blade Runner on steroids", then I'm in. It looks really good and I would love to see it on Wii U if it's console exclusive.

11redder

Trying to catch up....

Excite Truck was a fantastic game. The lack of multiplayer didn't really bother me - I played it through with a few different people on single player and we always played every second race on single player and had a great time. Obviously, it would have been great if 4 player split screen was included, but the lack thereof doesn't diminish my love for the game.

I was always baffled as to how much better Motorstorm was received by critics at the time. I enjoyed it, but it was nowhere near as good as Excite Truck to my mind. I guess it was the extra layer of shiny that did it for them.

idwl

Trying to catch up....

Excite Truck was a fantastic game. The lack of multiplayer didn't really bother me - I played it through with a few different people on single player and we always played every second race on single player and had a great time. Obviously, it would have been great if 4 player split screen was included, but the lack thereof doesn't diminish my love for the game.

It had versus for two players

Excite Truck was weird, because it felt very generic and launch title-ish to me all along but I can't deny that it was extremely fun. I wish it had some more personality.

Some people complain about Nintendo characters shoehorned into everything, but I wouldn't have minded.

And no, I didn't play Excite Bots or whatever it was.

z0m3le

Banned
OMFG Wii U definitive version confirmed!

Also, it might not of been the reason they did it, but it could simply give them the opportunity to do it.

If this is the situation, it means publishers are taking notice of Wii U, it could very easily be the shift the industry needs. (IMO)

We should watch for any rumors after E3 about Crysis 3 coming to Wii U, we pretty much know that they just don't have the man power for it, but if it gets a delay (even a slight one) it could very much mean that it then has a better than "fat chance" of coming to Wii U, being a year away doesn't really hurt IMO.

Excite Truck + It's Raining Men = Highlight of the Generation

By the way, the whole custom soundtrack thing...I remember people making a big deal about custom soundtracks for every game/the majority of games. Was that on the OG XBox? I forget. And was that still a thing this gen on non-Nintendo platforms? I haven't heard a word about it in ages.

HylianTom

Banned
Also, it might not of been the reason they did it, but it could simply give them the opportunity to do it.

If this is the situation, it means publishers are taking notice of Wii U, it could very easily be the shift the industry needs. (IMO)

We should watch for any rumors after E3 about Crysis 3 coming to Wii U, we pretty much know that they just don't have the man power for it, but if it gets a delay (even a slight one) it could very much mean that it then has a better than "fat chance" of coming to Wii U, being a year away doesn't really hurt IMO.

I'd love to see it happen, but it sometimes feels like we're re-enacting 2006, where there are vague signs and hope/hype is then harvested from those signs.

To me, the "fat chance" comment was pretty demonstrative. One would never see or hear a western third-party developer speak about a MS or Sony platform in such a manner. It's a small thing, but it shows to me how many regard Nintendo compared to the others.

Are we really at the stage that we're discrediting Samaritan?

Seriously?
I think calling it "discrediting" is an stretch on your part Eatchildren. :) The feature set is what's supported on 2009 PC hardware. Frostbite 2 and Cryengine 3 sport similar tech.

Let me explain my point of view. The existence of the demo is void of significance right now. It isn't showing anything particularly new tech wise (even by Epic claims, that will be with UE4). Is not running on one of the consoles or target specs for the next cycle so we could get some taste of capabilities, at least not officially. Finally, is not released as benchmark tool. Many devs could pull up some amazing polygon demos that put most current console game visuals to shame if they wanted or see it as worthwhile pursuit, with engines running in consoles today. It doesn't even show anything new or intriguing as a concept for play mechanics or setting.

I hope it is clear now that the comments aren't aimed at discrediting the demo and are sustained by what i think are reasonable arguments.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It reminds the same idea spread by Seriouslolz analysts about the UE3 on Wii :| \o/

Wasn't there UE3 titles on Wii? Pretty sure..

Edit: No wait, that was UE 2.5, not 3.0.

But hey, by the same measure Wii U should support UE3.5!

I don't know, I'll take ideal controls that make the game easier over good ones that make them more challenging but that's me and it's a tough call.

I didn't get the Resident Evil Wii version because those assholes at Eurogamer(I had to make a quick decision on the spot and chose to read their review) said it was bad but for me, Prime and Prime 2 were revelations with the Wii control setup.

You haven't lost your chance! The game is still amazing and should be available pretty cheap.

Yes, that Eurogamer review was really shoddy. IIRC it came out at a time when there were masses of games that needed to be reviewed so they farmed the review out to a freelance reviewer who did a really poor job.

It was quite clear that they had a personal aversion to the pointer controls and reviewed the game from that perspective. That's fine as one man's meat etc but it makes them an unsuitable candidate to review the game.

Also, it was questionable how much they had actually played the game given that they complained about a control issue which was patently false to anyone who had played the game who wasn't incompetent.

That review still irks me as it was an unjust review for a classic game :x.

You haven't lost your chance! The game is still amazing and should be available pretty cheap.

Yes, that Eurogamer review was really shoddy. IIRC it came out at a time when there were masses of games that needed to be reviewed so they farmed the review out to a freelance reviewer who did a really poor job.

It was quite clear that they had a personal aversion to the pointer controls and reviewed the game from that perspective. That's fine as one man's meat etc but it makes them an unsuitable candidate to review the game.

Also, it was questionable how much they had actually played the game given that they complained about a control issue which was patently false to anyone who had played the game who wasn't incompetent.

That review still irks me as it was an unjust review for a classic game :x.

Yeah, I would have jumped at the chance to get it if I knew it also contained regular controls as a safety net.

I kept the game for Gamecube while trading in most of my other Gamecube games but I'd still be interested in picking this game up.

z0m3le

Banned
I'd love to see it happen, but it sometimes feels like we're re-enacting 2006, where there are vague signs and hope/hype is then harvested from those signs.

To me, the "fat chance" comment was pretty demonstrative. One would never see or hear a western third-party developer speak about a MS or Sony platform in such a manner. It's a small thing, but it shows to me how many regard Nintendo compared to the others.

I remember 2006 really well, but I also understand what happened this generation, Wii's HP wasn't the main issue, neither was the controls, or that the company was named Nintendo, the issue was that publishers and developers invested in "HD" development, not the resolution as we so easily bunch it up with, but the refinement of GPU's shader technology, lack of unified shaders without a doubt was Wii's biggest problem.

Maybe you'll understand this, but not a lot of people really do, Wii was a market leader, it should of had every game, and multiplatform games should have not been so widespread, but the market leader was incompatible with what devs were doing, it wasn't a matter of Horse Power, it was a matter of bringing a boat to Nascar.

This time, Nintendo will have the same type of vehicle as the other two, it might be slower, but it will do everything devs ask of it, and that is the key difference, if it sells well, it will get games in spades from third parties, this is the key reason why Nintendo doesn't have third party support that others have enjoyed, it was because when the companies all ran the same race, Nintendo had a weak market share, with a clear market leader in the name of Sony. This time that will all be turned around.

As for your second paragraph, developers personal opinions don't matter, third party game publishers will put their game on any relevant platform they can, as long as there is money to be made there... Wii U simply needs strong sales numbers, that is all that will matter in the end.

Basically any intelligent developer should expect Wii U to sell well, not as well as Wii, but comparable to 360 numbers this gen is reasonable IMO, so what smaller developers should do is wait and see how games like AC3 and Aliens sell this xmas, while bigger publishers should que up for Wii U kits and start bringing their games over as ports, since it quite literally is a small expense to move these games to the system, especially since Nintendo is making sure engines like UE3 and Crytek3 run on it.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Please stop, it's been years and that wound still hurts. Bullfrog/Westwood/Origin are dead, they're not coming back, no one is gonna buy them/the franchises. At best we'll get stupid social or iOS games.

I think we had a thread with a statement of Riccitello that they wanted to get the percentage of engineers from 1/8 to 1/2, which one could easily interpret as drastic restructuring.

I know, it hurts. One of the biggest missed opportunity in the gaming world, to not take advantage properly of this mountain of golden franchises. And with their recent focus & efforts on mobile and social gaming, it could be a possibility to see them again on this kind of support yes :/ The state of the industry worry me, if even EA (they made some bad choices but still) is in this situation.

Mario's Edge?

Well, in its 3D incarnations it's already leaning toward parkour with the wall jumps, etc :) But it could be fun yes, imagine a Mario with huge cartoony urban-scape including tons of elements like walls, windows, stairs & steps, banisters & hand-rails, to grab to/jump from/etc. It would be called Mario Street: the plumber city life, featuring a more bad-ass Mario than the one of Mario Strikers, the cap reversed, and he will have to beat an infamous gangsta rap version of browser.

Yeah, I would have jumped at the chance to get it if I knew it also contained regular controls as a safety net.

I kept the game for Gamecube while trading in most of my other Gamecube games but I'd still be interested in picking this game up.

Well I adore the pointer controls in the Wii iteration but, as you say, you could always pop in a Cube controller if you didn't like them. Then there's the extra content, the widescreen.....

.....have I tempted you enough yet? :p

Well I adore the pointer controls in the Wii iteration but, as you say, you could always pop in a Cube controller if you didn't like them. Then there's the extra content, the widescreen.....

.....have I tempted you enough yet? :p

Good chance I'll get it sometime, it's one of my favorite games of all time(I'd say top 5 easily).

HylianTom

Banned
It will be on the 5th next month if it is real. Its not offical right now.

But there were rumors about Nintendo optimizing their hardware to a specific engine. UE4 would be the most logical choice, since alot of studios who used to work with UE3 would use UE4 because they propably need alot less time getting used to it than a complete change to a different engine like Cryengine 3.

Knowing Iwata he would want to avoid the "WiiU can´t run UE4, so we didn´t port the game" bullshit developer excuse!

My thing is.. even if we see the U able to run UE4 in some form, there will be other excuses. We'll be arriving at a point in time soon where technology is less of a limiting factor and it becomes more and more and more apparent that there are political mechanics that are preventing certain things from being done. As a Nintendo fan, it can be frustrating, but as a detached observer it's kinda fascinating.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/maldaen/E3Reactions.png

Apparently it's NSFW and I forget that Europeans are here. But I still feel that's exactly what would happen if this fantasy of yours came true.

Terrell: Good morning. Rest-of-GAF, you look terrible. What happened?
Rest-of-GAF: Last night, Nintendo-GAF was the man!
Terrell: Good Lord!
Rest-of-GAF: I just want you to know, Terrell - I didn't cry.
Terrell: It's okay.

HylianTom

Banned
I remember 2006 really well, but I also understand what happened this generation, Wii's HP wasn't the main issue, neither was the controls, or that the company was named Nintendo, the issue was that publishers and developers invested in "HD" development, not the resolution as we so easily bunch it up with, but the refinement of GPU's shader technology, lack of unified shaders without a doubt was Wii's biggest problem.

Maybe you'll understand this, but not a lot of people really do, Wii was a market leader, it should of had every game, and multiplatform games should have not been so widespread, but the market leader was incompatible with what devs were doing, it wasn't a matter of Horse Power, it was a matter of bringing a boat to Nascar.

This time, Nintendo will have the same type of vehicle as the other two, it might be slower, but it will do everything devs ask of it, and that is the key difference, if it sells well, it will get games in spades from third parties, this is the key reason why Nintendo doesn't have third party support that others have enjoyed, it was because when the companies all ran the same race, Nintendo had a weak market share, with a clear market leader in the name of Sony. This time that will all be turned around.

As for your second paragraph, developers personal opinions don't matter, third party game publishers will put their game on any relevant platform they can, as long as there is money to be made there... Wii U simply needs strong sales numbers, that is all that will matter in the end.

Basically any intelligent developer should expect Wii U to sell well, not as well as Wii, but comparable to 360 numbers this gen is reasonable IMO, so what smaller developers should do is wait and see how games like AC3 and Aliens sell this xmas, while bigger publishers should que up for Wii U kits and start bringing their games over as ports, since it quite literally is a small expense to move these games to the system, especially since Nintendo is making sure engines like UE3 and Crytek3 run on it.
Hmm. My only issue with the "boat at NASCAR" argument is that this started before the Wii. Nintendo brought a pretty respectably-specc'd vehicle to the raceway one time before. It sold well initially, and even when sales dropped, its numbers were still comparable to those of another platform that was getting support. Yet we saw lots of instances of "intelligent developers" and publishers doing the whole "for xbox/PS2/PC" pattern, with the GameCube version conspicuously absent. They ignored Nintendo's racecar.

(and a snarky side-jab to the devs/pubs: if they were so "intelligent," not as many of them would've made dumb business decisions leading to so many them dropping from existence while the Wii was the market leader.)

But we shall see. I hope you are correct.

onilink88

Say, IdeaMan, a while back, you said that the camera on the DRC was confirmed to be capable of facial recognition, right? And that if you were looking at the DRC, the system could allocate more resources to what's being rendered for it, correct? So, my question is: is that just a possibility or is it already happening?

I just skim through these threads nowadays, so apologies if you've already answered that question.

hopefully Retro's talent is not wasted on Star Fox WiiU

time would be better spent on another DKR which I don't regularly purchase because I have a dislike for monkeys

I am also not a fan of Star Fox - now if it was a mix of cell-shading with the original blocky look in HD maybe

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Would be interesting to see what his 'source' is. Nothing I've heard about Epic's engines and the Wii U imply this, including the reputed v4 -> v5 (or v3 -> v4, whatever it was) 'significant' performance boost.

Well, is it possible that IdeaMan was right about v5 kits being out and that those added the features it needs to run UE4?

The boost occurred before the V4 was released. Explained in another way, the v4 dev kits are already including the boost. Still, it wasn't to the extent that some hoped. It wasn't a giant leap in performances.

The mass production dev kits (and i'm right bp :p), when they were tweaked at Nintendo offices (beginning of february ? january ?), saw a slight increase of the framerate of a "famous engine" (lherre told us that) compare to the V4, and that wasn't the UE4. We're talking about a few more frames per second (less than 10 it seems). But it doesn't tell anything in regard to what Nintendo changed in the guts of the system by the time, if you look at graphic cards benchmarks, it happens that the following generation of a chip just bring 5 more fps compare to its predecessor on an engine, but is still more modern, efficient, more powerful in other situations (other kind of things to render), support new features, etc. So basically, even if the V5 were at the time (january/february) a very moderate step up from the v4, it could (speculation, beware) include alterations that will allow UE4 to run on it or handling it better.

And the good part, coming from my previous news, is that third-parties received those newest dev kits 5 weeks after the expected supply date, so Nintendo spent more time than they planned tweaking them (and assembling + shipping but all the delay isn't explained by supplying/delivering problems).

donny2112

If Epic worked with Nintendo to make sure Wii U would at least run UE4, then I imagine Nintendo entered into an agreement with Epic to make sure that whatever future improvements they did to UE4 would not break that link to at least running on Wii U. Probably some kind of compensation would be involved, too. ;p

Therefore, they could still be working on finalizing the UE4 engine, just under the constraint to not lose that ability to run on Wii U. Since Nintendo is launching this year, entering into an agreement with Epic to hold onto a Wii U support line in UE4 makes sense, if they want to make *sure* that UE4 would run on Wii U.

z0m3le

Banned
Hmm. My only issue with the "boat at NASCAR" argument is that this started before the Wii. Nintendo brought a pretty respectably-specc'd vehicle to the raceway one time before. It sold well initially, and even when sales dropped, its numbers were still comparable to those of another platform that was getting support. Yet we saw lots of instances of "intelligent developers" and publishers doing the whole "for xbox/PS2/PC" pattern, with the GameCube version conspicuously absent. They ignored Nintendo's racecar.

(and a snarky side-jab to the devs/pubs: if they were so "intelligent," not as many of them would've made dumb business decisions leading to so many them dropping from existence while the Wii was the market leader.)

But we shall see. I hope you are correct.

There are 2 reasons why that happened, first Gamecube had some limitations, that had to do with disc size and having the greatest controller in history(imo), the other was Microsoft had a dead simple box to program for, and Microsoft money hatted it's way to multiplatform land. Even paying for third parties to publish didn't really give Microsoft anywhere near as much third party support as PS3 now receives as a 3rd place console. That is because PS2 was a market leader, and I think that Wii U will be this next gen's market leader, but more inline with the 360 than PS2.

There can certainly be other interpretation of the last two generations, but one thing will always be a fact, this is capitalism, not politics, if Wii U has a market for third parties to exploit with a port of a game they are already building, it will come to Wii U from virtue that publishers want money.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Say, IdeaMan, a while back, you said that the camera on the DRC was confirmed to be capable of facial recognition, right? And that if you were looking at the DRC, the system could allocate more resources to what's being rendered for it, correct? So, my question is: is that just a possibility or is it already happening?

I just skim through these threads nowadays, so apologies if you've already answered that question.

Yes, the DRC camera will be capable of facial recognition, eye tracking.

For the dynamic resources allocation, it was an application idea about the camera & the asymmetrical setting of the system, that i hinted a long time ago, then someone bring a similar thought and i finally presented this possibility. But there will be some problems as even professionals with very expansive equipment, high-def cameras, see some latency for eye-tracking, etc. It could be alleviated with basic shape recognition / calibrating (not let the software try to decipher what you're seeing, but teach him "hey, when my face is like that, i'm looking at you DRC, when it's more like that, i'm viewing the TV, k ?!"), some combinations with clever programming/gamedesign of the title (the soft will anticipate what you'll focus in the coming moments because it will force you to manage a RTS content on the padlet 2 seconds after having activated something in a command board/entered into a vehicle/whatever in the TV fps mode), etc.

onilink88

Yes, the DRC camera will be capable of facial recognition, eye tracking.

For the dynamic resources allocation, it was an application idea about the camera & the asymmetrical setting of the system, that i hinted a long time ago, then someone bring a similar thought and i finally presented this possibility. But there will be some problems as even professionals with very expansive equipment camera see some latency for eye-tracking, etc. It could be alleviated with basic shape recognition / calibrating (not let the software try to decipher when you look, but teach him "hey, when my face is like that, i'm looking at you DRC, when it's more like that, i'm looking at the TV, k ?!"), some combinations with clever programming/gamedesign of the title (the soft will anticipate what you'll focus in the coming moments because it will force you to manage a RTS content on the padlet 2 seconds after having activated something in a command board/entered into a vehicle/whatever in the TV fps mode), etc.

I see. As always, thanks for clarifying.

darthdago

The boost occurred before the V4 was released. Explained in another way, the v4 dev kits are already including the boost. Still, it wasn't to the extent that some hoped. It wasn't a giant leap in performances.

The mass production dev kits (and i'm right bp :p), when they were tweaked at Nintendo offices (beginning of february ? january ?), saw a slight increase of the framerate of a "famous engine" (lherre told us that) compare to the V4, and that wasn't the UE4. We're talking about a few more frames per second (less than 10 it seems). But it doesn't tell anything in regard to what Nintendo changed in the guts of the system by the time, if you look at graphic cards benchmarks, it happens that the following generation of a chip just bring 5 more fps compare to its predecessor on an engine, but is still more modern, efficient, more powerful in other situations (other kind of things to render), support new features, etc. So basically, even if the V5 were at the time (january/february) a very moderate step up from the v4, it could (speculation, beware) include alterations that will allow UE4 to run on it or handling it better.

And the good part, coming from my previous news, is that third-parties received those newest dev kits 5 weeks after the expected supply date, so Nintendo spent more time than expected tweaking them(and assembling + shipping but all the delay isn't explained by supplying/delivering problems).

all in all I have to say that I love to read your posts all the time because they are stimulation for the brain!!

So, back in march/april AMD released the HD7800 or so and trinity (APU) and what else??...

hopefully Retro's talent is not wasted on Star Fox WiiU

time would be better spent on another DKR which I don't regularly purchase because I have a dislike for monkeys

I am also not a fan of Star Fox - now if it was a mix of cell-shading with the original blocky look in HD maybe
I would rather see something original from them.

BurntPork

Banned

And the good part, coming from my previous news, is that third-parties received those newest dev kits 5 weeks after the expected supply date, so Nintendo spent more time than they planned tweaking them (and assembling + shipping but all the delay isn't explained by supplying/delivering problems).
Okay, then I'm not putting any stock in that rumor.

all in all I have to say that I love to read your posts all the time because they are stimulation for the brain!!

So, back in march/april AMD released the HD7800 or so and trinity (APU) and what else??...

I wouldn't get too caught up on what was released at that time. To semi-translate what he's saying, it would be akin to switching your graphics card from a 5770 to a 6790. Paper spec-wise they are virtually the same, but because the 6790 is more modern there are things it can do better which in turn gives it an extra (small) boost when it comes to current games that can utilize those things. An example of what could be said is that an even more modern tessellator, like what may be used in the GCN GPUs, was added during the tweaking process.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
anyone else having issues with loading GAF? I was wondering if its my connection
I'm having issues loading it as well. Connecticut, Danbury anyway, isn't seeing any bad weather so I don't know what it could be. Perhaps some heavy loads that aren't processing properly.

Thanks for the clarification BGBW. So we can safely expect another Battalion Wars for the WiiU. Perfect fit for the system.
I mentioned a few pages back that I used to work for Headstrong (or Kuju London as it was called). Based on the direction they seemed to be heading while I was there - pitching games to other publishers, which resulted in them developing HoTD:OK for Sega, plus the mediocre reviews and sales figures BWii received, and finally the fact that BW 3 never got off the ground on Wii, I wouldn't bet on Nintendo commissioning another Battalion Wars any time soon. They passed up the option to publish the game that became LotR for Wii (and PS3) too.

(catching up…)

Hm. I apparently missed naked anime ladies. My own damned fault for believing in getting a solid five hours of sleep every day instead of winging it.

Also, for the people saying that RE4 GCN was superior to RE4 Wii solely on the basis of the controller being better because it makes the game more difficult: I submit that you can use a GCN controller on the Wii version of the game. (edit: I see I was beaten on this by about an hour and a half… looks like I'm getting more timely as the week goes on!)

By the way… I changed my mind: Overnight happy WUST is far more enjoyable to read than overnight ragemode WUST.

Hey guys, missed me?

*erases "BY2K" from awesome Hall of Remembrance section of next thread*

You should have stayed hidden for another weekanahaff.

darthdago

I wouldn't get too caught up on what was released at that time. To semi-translate what he's saying, it would be akin to switching your graphics card from a 5770 to a 6790. Paper spec-wise they are virtually the same, but because the 6790 is more modern there are things it can do better which in turn gives it an extra (small) boost when it comes to current games that can utilize those things. An example of what could be said is that an even more modern tessellator, like what may be used in the GCN GPUs, was added during the tweaking process.

Thx BG yeah that would be great also anything that they tweak would be really good for us gamers at the end imo....

btw as a side note IBM released POWER 7+ also march that year wasnt that like that?

time is moving so slow

Rösti;37705273 said:
I'm having issues loading it as well. Connecticut, Danbury anyway, isn't seeing any bad weather so I don't know what it could be. Perhaps some heavy loads that aren't processing properly.

its been kinda rainy this morning still cloudy... Bridgeport, Connecticut
I was wondering if it was only me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom