• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Castle Vidcons?

Huh? No. Its the cartoon NOA put out along with their December 3, 2003 press release touting Gamecube's #1 sales over the Thanksgiving weekend. How can any Nintendo fan not recognize that?

What happened to this thread? Why is everyone jumping on IdeaMan?

I really like his posts, in fact, the best thing to watch this thread is to wait for his little tibdits of info. Someone may not like it, but most of it has been important to speculate on many things.

He has not said anything awesome like iherre or wispel, but he has contributed actively to the discussion in this thread. I don't think anyone of us (no insiders) could provide any of the facts he has stated.

Related to the ue4 engine news...i also find it, at least, worrying.

This ^^

And have clickable sticks now been confirmed..? What about analog triggers..?

And seriously people, don't worry about UE4. It's going to be scalable. Epic won't make a penny out of it otherwise.

Terrell

How would GAF react if at E3, they announced that Wii U will be getting:

First UE4 trailer on Wii U
Bioshock
Borderlands
BLOPS II (best console version)
Crysis 3 (best console version)
Nintendo vs. Capcom
F-zero Wii U by Monster Games
Eternal Darkness 2 by Silicon Knights
Star Fox Wii U by Retro
Kingdom Hearts 3 (Exclusive)
GTAV w/3-6 months exclusivity

Yes, I know this will never happen, I'm just asking to ask

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/maldaen/E3Reactions.png

Apparently it's NSFW and I forget that Europeans are here. But I still feel that's exactly what would happen if this fantasy of yours came true.

AzaK

He was super excited about that when he posted it, and we were talking about it just before he posted it on the site. It came from an actual dev, but that's about as much as I can say about the source, other than what I've already said.

But that same source has also commented on Epic's comments from yesterday too

So how ever you wish to take the info, with or without salt... or perhaps not at all, E3 should be really good this year. One that I'm sure I will never forget at least.
Wow if true. BTW what comments came from Epic yesterday?

Unfortunately, there was a big cost for it in the form of Miyamoto joining Epic.

Iwata: ~laughs, then cries, then laughs~
Lol!

good enough for me..UE4 here we come!! CHOO CHOO
Hahaha! This thread is on a comedic roll to tonight!

Excite Truck is the best arcade racer of the gen. Only scrubs disagree.
It was an absolutely wicked game. My friends and I had hours of fun with it.

This is a big problem, especially when companies somehow manage to lose their own fucking source code. It's a bit like the early days of cinema where studios regularly destroyed footage when they made cuts to the running length (see Metropolis and every Orson Welles movie). Guess we'll always have emulation, but it'd be nice if there was some independent organisation that dealt with gaming history.

Oh, hey. Thanks for replying to my digression. I agree there should some independent organization, but it would still be difficult just to recreate certain games in the future based on interface requirements.

I love Yoshi's Touch and Go for DS, but if Nintendo abandons a two-screen, bottom touch screen interface, then eventually that game will be lost to time if I lose my cart. Super Mario Bros., on the other hand, is relatively safe given how little it requires (d-pad and two buttons).

z0m3le

Banned
As someone that focuses mainly on first party stuff, the Wii was very good for me.

This post makes me kinda sad for gaming as a medium. A plethora of fun titles are just going to be left to be forgotten.

With cinema, there's a very concerted effort to put all the old titles on the new hardware (VHS, DVD, Blu Ray, digital). But with games, because of the constant refreshes of hardware and different interface requirements needed to play certain games, we're never going to get this.

Imagine if all of Nintendo's DS/3DS games are lost to time because they give up the dual screen format in 10 years.

Thanks to Emulation, this would never happen, VC could very easily continue the DS games on Wii U, thanks to the controller giving almost 1:1 features with that console.

guek

Banned

7bXom.gif

Thanks to Emulation, this would never happen, VC could very easily continue the DS games on Wii U, thanks to the controller giving almost 1:1 features with that console.

Well, take my example of Yoshi's Touch & Go. It's a twitch arcade game, so you couldn't really look between screens quickly enough to play. You'd have to mimic both screens on the uPad. The game also requires a microphone input to "blow away" clouds, but I'll assume the uPad has that.

So we're good for one more generation. But what if Nintendo abandons the pad? Sure, we could emulate that game on a PC, but you really do need a touch screen and a very close microphone input to properly play.

The game is a forgotten masterpiece and controls perfectly on DS. I still pick it up to play today. But if I lose my cart, it's going to be a bitch to even emulate. And that's just one game...

Hero

yeah I guess

but why didn't we get a new Resident Evil with the RE4 Wii controls? RE4 will always be a GC game in my mind. Maybe the controls are a little better on the Wii... but it doesn't really add to its library.

Come on, son. It's fucking Capcpom. RE4 Wii was a test so they made Umbrella Chronicles which was also a test then they made a follow up with Darkside Chronicles. Pretty sure the former two both sold over a million copies too. Wii not getting a Resident Evil mainline title had nothing to do with controls.

Remember he night of the 'Capcom 5'? By God, that in itself was almost as awesome as E3.

Of course I do, pretty sure I started that thread actually!

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Come on, son. It's fucking Capcpom. RE4 Wii was a test so they made Umbrella Chronicles which was also a test then they made a follow up with Darkside Chronicles. Pretty sure the former two both sold over a million copies too. Wii not getting a Resident Evil mainline title had nothing to do with controls.

Actually, I believe we knew about Umbrella Chronicles before we knew about RE4 Wii Edition.

z0m3le

Banned
UE4 on Wii U? Did fish meet water?

This isn't really surprising, though it doesn't mean that it will run even UE4 game flawlessly, it does have a modern GPU, so it should be able to do everything UE4 would ask of it. I would figure that it is in the testing stages right now anyways.

Sadist

Nah, but Excite Truck really is flawed in the multiplayer department. I mean, only two players racing agains each other. No AI controlled opponents. So it quickly becomes a singleplayer experience and for such an experience it's too short. But I love the game itself. It's a crazy mix between Beetle Adventure Racing and Burnout: they way you leap through the air, making perfect landings, crashing into others... awesome. Really showed the potential of the Wiimote as well.

Here is another Excite Truck lover.

For me the main issue is that there are too many repeated locations. There should be more, like the double at least. But in any case, the game it's wildly fun once you master the controls.

is this confirmed ?

It will be on the 5th next month if it is real. Its not offical right now.

But there were rumors about Nintendo optimizing their hardware to a specific engine. UE4 would be the most logical choice, since alot of studios who used to work with UE3 would use UE4 because they propably need alot less time getting used to it than a complete change to a different engine like Cryengine 3.

Knowing Iwata he would want to avoid the "WiiU can´t run UE4, so we didn´t port the game" bullshit developer excuse!

nickcv

ok guys, because of the current situation of both 3DS and PSV do you think we will ever have homebrew on the wii u?

beje

Banned
ok guys, because of the current situation of both 3DS and PSV do you think we will ever have homebrew on the wii u?

I doubt it. It looks like Nintendo managed to secure things out better this time. Not even the DSi has been completely hacked at this point (only in DS mode).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

No, but, one of the things I'm most excited for is hopefully PC software detecting and using the Wii U pad.

so WiiU might run UE4 ?

i dont care really, show me the games Nintendo SHOW ME TEH GAMEZ !!
i guess I could find one or two to rub this info on their face lol #bitterbitchisbitter

BY2K

Membero Americo
That's because the info really came from me!

No it didn't.

But ain't nobody be thinking about stealing my Conference OT!

Right, Nibel!?

z0m3le

Banned
No, but, one of the things I'm most excited for is hopefully PC software detecting and using the Wii U pad.

Yeah, This could easily happen if it's a standard technology that links the console wirelessly (I don't know what it would be, but hopefully all you'd need is a dongle for your USB, and some custom drivers)

Would be a spectacular piece of kit for the PC, just as a drawing tablet alone would be worth the price of the Wii U.

nickcv

isn't nintendo reknown for using their custom protocols to avoid this kind of stuff?
i know the wiimote works on pc/mac, but did anyone actually managed to emulate a 3DS <--> 3DS connection or a DS <--> Wii connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom