• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol. I read that.

Haha, so did I. I thought the poster made a good point and I am in no position to argue against him. It makes sense that PS2 would have a higher geometry output, though. Just compare MGS2/3 against Twin Snakes. Snake's model is noticeably more blocky in the latter (SK hate incoming in 3...2...).

HylianTom

Banned
no.

never.

fucking never.
MadelineApplauding.gif

Good game. Adorable. And good music. But GotY? Naaaah.

BurntPork

Banned
Haha, so did I. I thought the poster made a good point and I am in no position to argue against him. It makes sense that PS2 would have a higher geometry output, though. Just compare MGS2/3 against Twin Snakes. Snake's model is noticeably more blocky in the latter (SK hate incoming in 3...2...).
Not sure if serious.

Boogybro

Were you trying to say "Halo"? :p I'm sure many people would dispute Metroid as the best game of the entire generation. There were many, many, many fine games that generation. Personally, I'd put Shenmue over Metroid Prime, though I loved Metroid Prime.

I enjoyed this post.

Anth0ny

Super Smash Bros Melee is the best game of last gen.

But yeah, RE4 is a close second. I'm playing Prime 1 for the first time right now.

HylianTom

Banned
So as we draw nearer, I've been trying to pinpoint the one thing that I want to learn most from this conference. I think it's Launch Day first-party games for me.

What about you? What that one thing you're dying to learn about?

(note: less than 600 hours now!)

MDX

Metroid Prime is the undisputed best game of last generation. In fact, I shall start a new playthrough when I go home for the summer

I was impressed by Halo2 on my monster Xbox.
But then a friend showed me Metroid on the GC.
And I was like... how the hell did they pull that off on that tiny box?

So as we draw nearer, I've been trying to pinpoint the one thing that I want to learn most from this conference. I think it's Launch Day first-party games for me.

Any third party exclusive that shines.

Not worried about launch first party games as they will be fairly strong.

Plus, I trust Nintendo more than third partys so they have more to prove.

Anth0ny

Retro's new game, easily.

LUNA

I guess, you cannot switch off the streeming to the pad. One of the main points of the console is being able to switch the image of the tv to the pad at any any moment.

GTA V, Analogue Triggers & eShop details are the most important things for me.

Super Mario Bros. 4, that doesn't look like the New series

It came out over 20 years ago.

Lyude77

Mine is the same as yours, as long as there is no Valve partnership or something announced. I'm not banking on that, haha.

Yeah, interest in Retro Studios new game > everything else that week.

Although a 3DS Zelda or a Mario 3D for Wii U wouldn't hurt.

Edit: MGS3? GAF, we are lowering the bar.

jacksrb

Mine is the same as yours, as long as there is no Valve partnership or something announced. I'm not banking on that, haha.

Sadly, I don't think that we will know the 1st party launch lineup. There will be some titles close to completion that will be pushed, etc.

But we should have a good handle on the games that will come out in the first two years of the system...

TriGen

Exaclty the same, the exclusives are what always hype me up. The one other thing is I'm interested to see what the final sub-screen looks like.

I would like to point out that IdeaMan delivers a lot of really great posts which have absolutely nothing to do with NDA'd information, like his repeated attempts to get people to speculate on game play possibilities on the controller. Anything that gets the cranium … craniuming is a positive for this thread.

He also posts a lot of news items that have nothing to do with his own divulgings.

He also posts about stuff that he's hoping to see in the future, game-wise.

All these posts form the vast, vast, incredible majority of his writings on these threads. The stuff people seem to have a chip about are a tiny, tiny minority of his posts.

I feel that this aspect of this person is not getting due respect.

A paper controller packed in with the "New Super Paper Mario"? I'm in!

Very well said, couldn't agree more.

onilink88

Were you trying to say "Halo"? :p I'm sure many people would dispute Metroid as the best game of the entire generation. There were many, many, many fine games that generation. Personally, I'd put Shenmue over Metroid Prime, though I loved Metroid Prime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDPwBN_IKxs

For me, it was Twilight Princess (if it counts).

Surprisingly, for the first time, it's not Zelda or (3D) Mario. I'm dying to know what's going on with that UFO business and Monolith.

Also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ3bt-SEfhI&t=5m46s

R... Reggie?! D:

The software.

Seeing great hardware is one thing. Seeing games I actually want to invest time in is another. Wii U hasn't exactly lit the world on fire in this area yet, given that most of the announced titles are ports of games that came out already.

HylianTom

Banned
I'm not sure the gaming community (or GAF for that matter) could take that. It would be the biggest meldown in video game history. It would also spawn the most batshit insane (hilarious) comments.
Truthfully, I'd be psyched to even just see Wii U versions of the first two installments. That'd be really welcome, even though there's Steam..

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
I'd love to play The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Gateway, and Gateway II again on my big screen TV. Make it happen!

Infocom ftw !

Again, a legendary brand with cult IP, left in the dust... well, besides an easter egg in black ops

Man.. Gamecube is one of the most unappreciated consoles of all time.. technical masterpiece.

Seriously, i remember the comparisons between Star Wars the movies new edition CGI and Rogue Squadron, and the catch-phrases like "it's prettier than the films !!!". It was so impressive back in the days, Bespin, the Endor/Death Star space battle with tons of ships rendered at the same time, etc.

HylianTom

Banned
The software.

Seeing great hardware is one thing. Seeing games I actually want to invest time in is another. Wii U hasn't exactly lit the world on fire in this area yet, given that most of the announced titles are ports of games that came out already.
Yup. When this next generation is dead and gone, I'm not going to look back and fondly remember the amount of RAM or the standard resolution for most games - I'm going to remember the games themselves. If we get another Super Mario Galaxy or another Wind Waker or another RE4 announced at the conference, I'm going to be dancing around the living room with absolute, unbridled joy. We've gotta hear more about the games!

(and my favorite game of all time has to be The Wind Waker.. hmm..)

So since folks are on it, what does everyone consider the best game of this gen to be?

Super Mario Galaxy. Or the second one. The levels in SMG2 are superior, but there's something about SMG1 that makes it more than the sum of its parts. Weird.

It's either one of those, or... fuck. The World Ends With You. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom