• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.
SS is the first Zelda game that made an attempt to cut the crap and focus on the meat of the game.

Problems were, a) Zelda was never really about meat, and b) there was still plenty of crap.

So since folks are on it, what does everyone consider the best game of this gen to be?

Super Mario Galaxy.
Even if the next EAD Tokyo game will be equally good, it will be hard to reproduce the magic that came from Galaxy, after it was 5 years since the last proper Mario game and no one knew if it could be another dud like Sunshine. Then it blew everyone away.

How do you guys think the Wii U will do sales wise?

I think it has absolute potential to become the best selling system of all time, depending on how Nintendo treats the system and markets it. It can easily surpass the Wii if it starts off with Wii-like momentum (bridge titles, an amazing E3 showing and their next Wii Sports/Brain Age can do this, just like with Wii), and if they continue that momentum (which they failed to do with the Wii), then they can achieving roaring success.

I also find it interesting that Gamecube had the highest system to software sales ratio. On average, every gamecube owner had about 10 games.

TriGen

I think it has absolute potential to become the best selling system of all time, depending on how Nintendo treats the system and markets it. It can easily surpass the Wii if it starts off with Wii-like momentum (bridge titles, an amazing E3 showing and their next Wii Sports/Brain Age can do this, just like with Wii), and if they continue that momentum (which they failed to do with the Wii), then they can achieving roaring success.

I also find it interesting that Gamecube had the highest system to software sales ratio. On average, every gamecube owner had about 10 games.

I think it will do good, but not great. I imagine around 65-70M.

AGITΩ

If they market it like they did with the Wii, and take it Viral, and start teasing it weeks prior to release. It'll get some legs past the holidays. They also cant cause system confusion with the ad, dont make people thing its a handheld or a controller for existing wii's.

Portugeezer

I think it could do 8 million in the first year. Depends the price and the software.

AniHawk

xenoblade reminded me i really like exploration in games. the original mass effect had a bunch of empty planets and stuff but oh man it was so cool to be out in space in a land rover and then out on foot exploring planets and then the moon! just so cool.

then the sequels you push a button and it gives you the thing.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I made this E3 teaser image:

trjql.gif
Doesn't feel too long of a wait now, though the most recent days have been so slow with Wii U news. Well, IdeaMan ought to become a member by the 21st of May anyway, so luckily we get some bombs dropped just before Nintendo unveils what we have been wanting to know for almost a year.

xenoblade reminded me i really like exploration in games. the original mass effect had a bunch of empty planets and stuff but oh man it was so cool to be out in space in a land rover and then out on foot exploring planets and then the moon! just so cool.

I get your point but Mass Effect 1's planetary exploration was pretty much this with the occassional building with some dudes to shoot, mostly :p

Welcome to ADD gaming.

If the Wii U is dx 9... noooo.... :-(

It won't be DX anything.
Saying that, that little "French article" is about as fake as you can get.

BlackJace

AGITΩ;37784182 said:
If they market it like they did with the Wii, and take it Viral, and start teasing it weeks prior to release. It'll get some legs past the holidays. They also cant cause system confusion with the ad, dont make people thing its a handheld or a controller for existing wii's.

I see the system having a nice launch. The premise of having HD Nintendo titles at long last will without a doubt be enough to drive people to the stores. The unique controller will pick up attention from various media outlets, just as the Wiimote did.

They should be fine if they play their cards right.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I get your point but Mass Effect 1's planetary exploration was pretty much this with the occassional building with some dudes to shoot, mostly :p

I know it was nothing special with shitty vehicule controls and mostly empty planets... But fuck if i loved it. I'm a sucker for exploration and alien planets, so it was perfect for me.

Gimme more exploration and alien planets developpers.

Nilaul

Welcome to ADD gaming.

It won't be DX anything.
Saying that, that little "French article" is about as fake as you can get.

I know :p I ment if the Wii u shaders are equal to dx 9 :p

Im not really expecting dx 11, Im more expecting shaders on par with dx 10 modified, streamlined and improved.

Instro

For me, it depends what I am exploring. Xenoblade has very interesting environments to move around it, so I loved exploring each area fully because you often found cool things to look at or see. It also helps that there was a large amount of vertical exploration, which allows you to get up high and look down from crazy vantage points. Diving down into a lake was always fun. On the other hand, something like Fallout 3 and NV is just dreadfully boring to explore because everything is ugly and flat. Elder Scrolls has some of the same problems but its not nearly as pronounced. Good environment art is key to making me want to look around.

I know :p I ment if the Wii u shaders are equal to dx 9 :p

Im not really expecting dx 11, Im more expecting shaders on par with dx 10 modified, streamlined and improved.

DX10 has pretty much everything 11 has. Just 11 is more efficient. That said, the Wii U's GPU will probably have certain features that are direct. So we'll see.

Pimpbaa

Well some people would consider handheld games as inferior. Which is bullshit but hey, weird blokes and all that.

The games aren't inferior but gaming on them is inferior. Too many controls and comfort compromises. Still love my 3DS however.

BurntPork

Banned

I literally lol'd.

~30 million at worst, ~65 million at best.

Nilaul

DX10 has pretty much everything 11 has. Just 11 is more efficient. That said, the Wii U's GPU will probably have certain features that are direct. So we'll see.

Ye im do soppose that during R&D years Nintendo modified and streamlined the DX10 and added a few stuff to it (I mean its logical :p)

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Rösti;37784433 said:
I made this E3 teaser image:

Doesn't feel too long of a wait now, though the most recent days have been so slow with Wii U news. Well, IdeaMan ought to become a member by the 21st of May anyway, so luckily we get some bombs dropped just before Nintendo unveils what we have been wanting to know for almost a year.

From afar, that's original and rather intriguing, but too close, it's ewww, like they are cut in millions of pieces °__°

Did you use CS6 for that ? I really need to un-rust me for image editing, drawing, etc.

Do a fusion dance with Nibel to become a personal teacher, i'll pay you in cinnamon biscuits, i heard you like that in Sweden :D

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Best games this gen....

Wii: SMG 1 & 2
DS: The World Ends With You

It would be Fallout 3 GOTY Edition for me, I spent over a hundred hours on it and still had plenty to do.

As for what I'm looking forward to most this years E3 I'd say seeing more of Freaks. Killer mutant Rabbids..? Full of instant win. I'm also looking forward to the unnamed Rabbids game too as long as it's as good and has as much content as the original Rabbids game that launched with the Wii years ago. Ubisoft haven't bettered that imo.

I'm quite looking forward to having a Rabbid stuck in my controller and giving it a good shake lololol

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
From afar, that's original and rather intriguing, but too close, it's ewww, like they are cut in millions of pieces °__°

Did you use CS6 for that ? I really need to un-rust me for image editing, drawing, etc.

Do a fusion dance with Nibel to become a personal teacher, i'll pay you in cinnamon biscuits, i heard you like that in Sweden :D
Yes, I'm using Photoshop CS6 (and also Indesign CS6, will probably do some work in Illustrator as well for my E3 thread). It's a great product suite and there are many improvements over CS5, such as with color management and a better overview when it comes to 3D work, and the interface is more intuitive. If you want any tips just ask, I do mainly rather large jobs (300-1200 dpi) though and don't really retouch many photos etc., apart from adjusting levels.

BlackJace

Best games this gen....

Wii: SMG 1 & 2
DS: The World Ends With You

Not bad choices. For me:

Wii: SMG (duh), Twilight Princess was a CLOSE second. Super close.
DS: Phoenix Wright 3
PSP: Dissidia 012 Duodecim (my god this fucking game is so fun)
Multiplat: Portal 2, BF3, Sonic Gens, SSX, Rayman Origins

Instro

Not bad choices. For me:

Wii: SMG (duh), Twilight Princess was a CLOSE second. Super close.
DS: Phoenix Wright 3
PSP: Dissidia 012 Duodecim (my god this fucking game is so fun)
Multiplat: Portal 2, BF3, Sonic Gens, SSX, Rayman Origins

Well PW 1-3 are technically GBA games.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
I know it was nothing special with shitty vehicule controls and mostly empty planets... But fuck if i loved it. I'm a sucker for exploration and alien planets, so it was perfect for me.

Gimme more exploration and alien planets developpers.

This

A million time this

Think of Mass Effect 1 with 500x more worthwhile planets to explore, including tons of points of interests, the same huge landscape bathed in beautiful lights and under gorgeous skies, minus the polygonal bumps & weird holes from the terrain design randomness (façon old 80 & 90's Atari/Amiga/Commore/Apple/PC titles).

Think of an offline space & sci-fi mmo, huge maps to visit, with the possibility to jump back to space wherever you want (and not only from astroports), with atmospheric take-off or landing phases being played rather than automated, seamlessly switching between a space shooter, planet flying over, and land exploration by foot or vehicles.

With some Elite here & there. With an intricate but also fun universe à la Farscape, featuring characters like a three-stomached Rygel in your crew.

We need this on Wii U ! I need my space fix ! ><

Just looking at the npd and the general "lull" that the industry is in, I think's it's definitely time for new consoles. If nintendo can manage to pull of a fantasic E3 showing I think they may reap the rewards of having the new "hot" thing on the market. The machine still needs parity with the competition however whenever they arrive.

This

A million time this

Think of Mass Effect 1 with 500x more worthwhile planets to explore, including tons of points of interests, the same huge landscape bathed in beautiful lights and under gorgeous skies, minus the polygonal bumps & weird holes from the terrain design randomness (façon old 80 & 90's Atari/Amiga/Commore/Apple/PC titles).

Think of an offline space & sci-fi mmo, huge maps to visit, with the possibility to jump back to space wherever you want (and not only from astroports), with atmospheric take-off or landing phases being played rather than automated, seamlessly switching between a space shooter, planet flying over, and land exploration by foot or vehicles.

With some Elite here & there. With an intricate but also fun universe à la Farscape, featuring characters like a three-stomached Rygel in your crew.

We need this on Wii U ! I need my space fix ! ><

So. When are you dropping the rest of these bombs? Any this weekend?

Just looking at the npd and the general "lull" that the industry is in, I think's it's definitely time for new consoles. If nintendo can manage to pull of a fantasic E3 showing I think they may reap the rewards of having the new "hot" thing on the market. The machine still needs parity with the competition however whenever they arrive.

Not just for new consoles, but new ideas in general.
We need more games that can enthrall the masses.

BlackJace

The summer blockbusters not yet arriving is the reason things are a bit slow ATM.
The timing of the release of the console is critical. Too early and too late can both cause negative consequences. It has to be perfect.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
So. When are you dropping the rest of these bombs? Any this weekend?

there was a little tidbit about dev kit colors yesterday i think, i need to check something before and i'll post another small news about Wii U units, demos & games brought at E3 2011, then another thing about storage. Nothing bombastic for the next few days though, but with all the professional sleuths & patent crawlers around + leaks here & there i'm sure there will be important news being posted soon ^^

BlackJace

Are people more afraid, or excited for the chaos that will ensue days before E3? Personally, I'm more afraid :p
The bans, man, the bans. I could lose my cool and BOOM, off GAF. I hope I don't fall for any bait...

Oddduck

there was a little tidbit about dev kit colors yesterday i think, i need to check something before and i'll post another small news about Wii U units, demos & games brought at E3 2011, then another thing about storage. Nothing bombastic for the next few days though, but with all the professional sleuths & patent crawlers around + leaks here & there i'm sure there will be important news being posted soon ^^

Just curious, will the tidbits you drop get juicier and more interesting as we approach E3?

Anyways, yeah, I'm sure we'll hear some important news leaking sooner or later lol.

Are people more afraid, or excited for the chaos that will ensue days before E3? Personally, I'm more afraid :p
The bans, man, the bans. I could lose my cool and BOOM, off GAF. I hope I don't fall for any bait...

Oh it will get insane, that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom