• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Were you trying to say "Halo"? :p I'm sure many people would dispute Metroid as the best game of the entire generation. There were many, many, many fine games that generation. Personally, I'd put Shenmue over Metroid Prime, though I loved Metroid Prime.

He was saying hello because Anihawk is a known metroid prime hater.

HylianTom

Banned
So since folks are on it, what does everyone consider the best game of this gen to be?
For this gen?

Even though I'm a clinically insane Zelda fanatic, Super Mario Galaxy 2 has to be my #1 for this generation. I teared-up at one point with sheer euphoria and actually said aloud, "THIS is why I am a Nintendo fan!"

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Ant, I just beat darksouls last night. It's great, but overrated. I'd say the best game this gen is uncharted 2. It's just, right.

Edit: nvm, galaxy 2 definitely takes the cake. I forgot about the wii.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
2011_0722_panda.jpg
sad_panda.jpg

Uh oh...

Anth0ny

Last gen is a lot harder. I could play Melee, MGS3, Halo:CE, RE4, THPS3, Vice City, San Andreas, Wind Waker and Mario Sunshine forever.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Darksiders II collector edition

I'm imagining rather well a replica of Death mask with NFC, allowing the download of a special content, for the Wii u version :p

AniHawk

Good game. Adorable. And good music. But GotY? Naaaah.

i am baffled by halo's single player. at least metroid prime has stuff like, you know, level design.

the multiplayer in the series is a ton of fun though. i put halo in the same place in my mind as i'd put mario party or smash bros. or rock band.

onilink88

So since folks are on it, what does everyone consider the best game of this gen to be?

I want to say Super Mario Galaxy 2 or Valkyria Chronicles, but neither of them had me completely glued to them like 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors did.

What a ride that one was!

Dr.Hadji

Wii: Skyward, Galaxy1/2, NSMBWii, Brawl
PS3: Little Big Planet, Street Fighter 4, Portal 1/2
DS: Mario Kart, Rhythm Heaven, Spirit Tracks

For me.

TriGen

Super Mario Galaxy is probaly my favorite overall, non-Nintendo I would say Portal 2 was my favorite, I liked Little Big Planet a lot as well. I have a bad memory though, I'm sure their are others in the running. Hand-held wise it might be Mario & Luigi:Bowsers Inside Story.

Oh, I really want to say Portal 2, but zero replay value damages that for me. Well, it has replay value in the same way that there's value in watching an old film, but still.

I guess the Perpetual Testing Initiative changes things... PORTAL 2 GOTG

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Oh, I really want to say Portal 2, but zero replay value damages that for me. Well, it has replay value in the same way that there's value in watching an old film, but still.

I guess the Perpetual Testing Initiative changes things... PORTAL 2 GOTG
They really needed user created puzzles and time trial rooms from the get-go.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Darksiders II collector edition

I'm imagining rather well a replica of Death mask with NFC, allowing the download of a special content, for the Wii u version :p

That is if the Wii U gets the Collector Edition.

And not everything will use the NFC just because it's there.

are you talking about metroid prime or halo?

edit: i honestly can't tell.

MP, of course. I don't think I'd mind all the slow backtracking if the combat was halfway decent and I didn't have to depend on lock-on to get through even the most rudimentary of combat encounters.

WillyFive

Probably Mario Galaxy 1, Minecraft, and Portal 1 (Portal 2 is better, but the first one deserves the GotG, I think)

If the rest of SS was as brilliantly designed as its dungeons it'd be my GOTG

The whole game was practically a dungeon, which annoyed me to no end.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Probably Mario Galaxy 1, Minecraft, and Portal 1 (Portal 2 is better, but the first one deserves the GotG, I think)

We need to go deeper. Cue the inception horns.

True. And they still don't have them on PS3. Still, I think it was worth the wait, considering how they're free and the interface is so good.

Hell, imagine PTI on Wii U.
Please valve, hear my cries. Support the Wii U!

kunonabi

Best game this gen?

Best overall game would have to go to Bayonetta, SMG, or Xenoblade. If Xenoblade had a better battle system and sidequests it would have been a slam dunk. As it stands I'd probably lean towards a tie between Bayonetta and SMG. Bayonetta if pushed though.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Best game of the generation was Ouendan/Elite Beat Agent.

Actually it was WarioWare DIY's Cute Chute game made by me because it was made by me.

Instro

If I had to settle on one I guess it would be between Galaxy 2(1 as well I guess) and Half-Life Ep.2. Top 10 would include games like Dark Souls, Bioshock, Twilight Princess, XenoBlade, Team Fortress 2, Portal 2, The World Ends With You, and Hotel Dusk or 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors. Amnesia: Dark Descent, Uncharted 2, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow, Radiant Historia and Bayonetta wouldn't be too far out either.

Of course that lists changes dramatically if we are excluding PC games.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Best game this gen?

Best overall game would have to go to Bayonetta, SMG, or Xenoblade. If Xenoblade had a better battle system and sidequests it would have been a slam dunk. As it stands I'd probably lean towards a tie between Bayonetta and SMG. Bayonetta if pushed though.

>___> why didn't you just say bayonetta then? Lol

TriGen

They had "mini" dungeons before going into the real dungeons, I didn't like that, because those were pretty much the only non-Skyloft areas in the whole game. Part of the charm of past Zelda games, were the towns/villages, at least that's how I feel. I essentially wanted more areas to roam around, that didn't have enemies, or puzzles.

daakusedo

We don't know what's going on with timesplitters 4, there is talk about last gen goty, I didn't play any games since weeks and still waiting for e3, so I finally found Timesplitters future perfect and will see if it's any good. Seems like the solo is more solid than the second (while pretty good I always thought some missions were, speaking of it, haloesque, lacking in tight level design and borderline multi-player maps-like).

Everything is connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom