• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzaK

My reasonable dream list:

-Solid launch line-up

-1 TB drive (probably the most pipe-dreamish)

-Make online use a bit easier and more user friendly

-clearly be more powerful than the 360/PS3

You will be getting 3 of those 4 it seems.

Edit: Beaten by Ace

Conor 419

Banned
Important Aspects

+ Good, consistent Third Party
+ Open online
+ Relatively powerful Hardware

Unimportant Aspects

- More than one U pad compatible
- Hard drive of any form

---

Honestly, those last two are so incredibly unimportant that it's tragic that people are calling for them.

MYE

Yeah, I hope the console look is overhauled and made sleek.
Of course it's not top priority in my wish list (much better slide pad than 3DS -since we can't have stick, sob-, power, 2 tablets support, streaming range Etc), but still the "old" design was crap. I always loved the Wii despite people saying (they're right) it looks like an off the shelf hard drive... 'course you could say I also like PS3 phat (despise Slim), loved the Cube and Sega Megadrive.

huh? Never thought it looked like one :S

wiiboxw0714.jpg

In this designer's opinion, the Wii's design is top tier stuff in consumer electronics in general
Wii U though...yeah, as it is it doesnt look too hot.

beje

Banned
Like I said, it's a pipe-dream, but if stuff is going to be full on DD, we need larger drives.

Going full-DD won't happen for a while, and not nearly for a significant user base. Passing a 1TB HDD cost to all customers when only a 0.001% of them will make use of it would be price suicide. For a fair comparison, a buddy of mine whose wallet is owned by Steam just tweeted this afternoon that his SteamApp folder was 700GB already (and this is after A LOT of years stockpiling games). Something cheaper, smaller, cooler (as in less heat), quieter and more in line with the majority of customers' needs would be the 8-16GB on-board flash already rumoured ad-nauseam because the system allows you to use whatever extra storage you have at hand.

Thraktor

Introducing Thraktor's patented Gigaton Conference Bingo!

Basically it's just my E3 Nintendo conference bingo card

gigaton.png

Not content with a bingo card with mere kiloton-grade announcements on it, I've decided to step it up a notch. I'm going with a bumper-size 7x7 grid where most entries would be megaton-worthy announcements just by themselves. In the incredibly unlikely scenario where a full line of the card is actually completed, the Nintendo conference has achieved full gigaton status, and it'll be a good sign that the Mayans were right and the world is about to implode in on itself.

MYE

Here's another prediction

Nintendo will COMPLETELY underplay a major first party release by revealing it in the most hype killing manner humanly possible.

Think Galaxy clip being thrown in some video montage for an idea

Izick

Going full-DD won't happen for a while, and not nearly for a significant user base. Passing a 1TB HDD cost to all customers when only a 0.001% of them will make use of it would be price suicide. For a fair comparison, a buddy of mine whose wallet is owned by Steam just tweeted this afternoon that his SteamApp folder was 700GB already (and this is after A LOT of years stockpiling games). Something cheaper, smaller, cooler (as in less heat), quieter and more in line with the majority of customers' needs would be the 8-16GB on-board flash already rumoured ad-nauseam because the system allows you to use whatever extra storage you have at hand.

Good point. I guess they could always try the dual headed monster business model that Microsoft has implemented with the 360 might work, having a system with just enough memory for game saves and small things, and having one with a huge HDD might work.

I thought that games were going to be available to download digitally on the same day as boxed copies, or did they just mean they were going to do something similar to the 360, where games come out on the service much later on after the boxed copy?

EVIL

hmm, the tablet looks a bit cheap, but the console itself looks pretty classy imo. I do think they really have to get rid of the shiny plastic look and make it matte.

Good point. I guess they could always try the dual headed monster business model that Microsoft has implemented with the 360 might work, having a system with just enough memory for game saves and small things, and having one with a huge HDD might work.

I thought that games were going to be available to download digitally on the same day as boxed copies, or did they just mean they were going to do something similar to the 360, where games come out on the service much later on after the boxed copy?

Games will be avaliable day one of the system being out for digital download. We don't know if it's all games, however.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!

gigaton.png

Not content with a bingo card with mere kiloton-grade announcements on it, I've decided to step it up a notch. I'm going with a bumper-size 7x7 grid where most entries would be megaton-worthy announcements just by themselves. In the incredibly unlikely scenario where a full line of the card is actually completed, the Nintendo conference has achieved full gigaton status, and it'll be a good sign that the Mayans were right and the world is about to implode in on itself.

Well, at least 4 boxes are sure for Wii U. Nearly sure (to be cautious).

And please, we need a Jedi Knight on the system, with motion controls ! A 1:1 light saber use centered (à la Jedi Academy but better) game, featuring gorgeous Sith planets, necropolis, tombs, etc.

Heropon

Nintendo will COMPLETELY underplay a major first party release by revealing it in the most hype killing manner humanly possible.

That reminds me of Ocarina of Time 3D.

Izick

Games will be avaliable day one of the system being out for digital download. We don't know if it's all games, however.

Okay, that's what I figured. That's what I meant by "all-digital." Not that boxed copies would cease to exist, or anything like that.

StevieP

Banned
The demo units have SD card slots, so I don't really see the issue. I'm sure they didn't use optical disks either way.

And why shouldn't they have used the demo units we've seen? The units on show were not mere dummies. They contain the exact same PCB as the first generation devkit. The only difference between the devkits and the demo units at E3 was that the devkits come in a black metal case and have a USB type B port for debugging on the front.

I do think they had a few dummies (that were labelled as such on the rear) for the press to touch. No idea what was hooked up to the TVs, though, obviously.

Zelda 3DS and Xenoblade 2 revealed via press kit after the conference.

Izick

Wasn't there something about how Nintendo doesn't like to launch a 1st party game, or at least an established franchise, within X amount of months of a console's launch or something crazy like that, because they'd allegedly deter 3rd party sales or something?

That's not legit though, right?

Linkhero1

Wasn't there something about how Nintendo doesn't like to launch a 1st party game, or at least an established franchise, within X amount of months of a console's launch or something crazy like that, because they'd allegedly deter 3rd party sales or something?

Not sure if it's true, but considering how shitty the 3DS launch was I don't expect them to do something like this with the Wii U.

they secretly made fire emblem awakenings.

What's this game? Is it like Nintendogs or something?

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.

I think that was their 3DS launch strategy. It failed. I don't think they'll be making the same mistake twice.

Izick

Not sure if it's true, but considering how shitty the 3DS launch was I don't expect them to do something like this with the Wii U.
I think that was their 3DS launch strategy. It failed. I don't think they'll be making the same mistake twice.

I hope they don't either, but I definitely understand the logic behind that though. I say they need a 1st party seller to lock this shit down this holiday, and I hope they break that rule. I hope it's more than just NSMB 2 though or something. If it's something crazy like SSB or Metroid....so much money to be made.

Thraktor

Well, at least 4 boxes are sure for Wii U. Nearly sure (to be cautious).

And please, we need a Jedi Knight on the system, with motion controls ! A 1:1 light saber use centered (à la Jedi Academy but better) game, featuring gorgeous Sith planets, necropolis, tombs, etc.

Hell, I'd be thrilled with two or three (although I have a couple of "easy" ones on there like 3D Mario and Monolith RPG).

A new Jedi Knight game controlled with the Wiimote+ has always been my dream Retro Wii U project. Just so much wasted opportunity if the Wiimote never gets a good lightsaber game.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

gigaton.png

My predictions:

G1, G4, I3, H6, 2nd column of G6, T4, N1, and N5 are all true.

Anth0ny

2010 in a nutshell. Didn't they reveal Paper Mario and OOT 3DS, among many other huge titles, after the press conference?

Well, it'll surely accept 1TB USB HDDs.

Yup. Internal harddrive space is mad overrated if we can just use externals.

beje

Banned

Given Nintendo's taste for user friendly and uncomplicated hardware solutions, I doubt they will go the expansion bay (that needs screws and stuff) route, and that's taking into account there's a serious redesign that implies enough space and refrigeration for a 2.5" unit in there. They will just say "plug your SD/USB pen/USB HDD and it works, if you're not sure about specifications buy our Nintendo-branded ones" and call it a day. Format isn't even an issue if they make the same solution as in the 3DS, where the actual internal filesystem is highly encrypted and just put in chunks on top of FAT32, with the addition that they can use open formats like NTFS-3G or similar for HDDs so they don't even have to make you format them.

Izick

Given Nintendo's taste for user friendly and uncomplicated hardware solutions, I doubt they will go the expansion bay (that needs screws and stuff) route, and that's taking into account there's a serious redesign that implies enough space and refrigeration for a 2.5" unit in there. They will just say "plug your SD/USB pen/USB HDD and it works, if you're not sure about specifications buy our Nintendo-branded ones" and call it a day.

Yeah, that works for me. I just didn't want to be roped into what Microsoft did with 360 memory (until they added the ability to use USB sticks). They charged way too high for HDD's that were way too small, and there was no legitimate way around it. I still have a 20 GB HDD half out of spite, and half out of being a cheap bastard.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Hell, I'd be thrilled with two or three (although I have a couple of "easy" ones on there like 3D Mario and Monolith RPG).

A new Jedi Knight game controlled with the Wiimote+ has always been my dream Retro Wii U project. Just so much wasted opportunity if the Wiimote never gets a good lightsaber game.

Yeah, it was the first thing that came to my mind when i first saw the wiimote, as a lot of people. Even a meh% metacritic game, with a good marketing campaign, would have been a commercial success, it's just one of the biggest fantasy/dream since this franchise met video games, to have the feeling to wield a light saber, during a real adventure.

Lucas, please ?!

boiled goose

good with gravy
Important Aspects

+ Good, consistent Third Party
+ Open online
+ Relatively powerful Hardware

Unimportant Aspects

- More than one U pad compatible
- Hard drive of any form

---

Honestly, those last two are so incredibly unimportant that it's tragic that people are calling for them.

I think more than one Upad is more important than you think.
WiiU will not be able to differentiate itself with hardware power compared to current gen and will be behind come next gen.

What it needs to offer is unique experiences.
What is one aspect of gaming that Nintendo does better than anyone? What is the main reason why the Wii was successful?

The answer is local multiplayer.

Single pad per console severely limits the potential experiences for local multi, hence Nintendo would lose one of its few competitive advantages.

Yeah, it was the first thing that came to my mind when i first saw the wiimote, as a lot of people. Even a meh% metacritic game, with a good marketing campaign, would have been a commercial success, it's just one of the biggest fantasy/dream since this franchise met video games, to have the feeling to wield a light saber, during a real adventure.

Lucas, please ?!
Don't count on Lucas to make anything good these days.

HylianTom

Banned

Lucas, please ?!

Yeah.. I've given-up on that. Pretty much the best Star Wars game we can realistically expect is going to be of the Lego variety..

Nintendo has been really quiet about upcoming 3DS stuff, too. Keep in mind that they still haven't released a third of the stuff they showed last E3, and what we know about (including potential localizations) isn't enough to fill out the rest of the year. They have to give the system some attention, and new footage of Paper Mario/Animal Crossing/Luigi's Mansion won't cut it.

Can't say I agree. They have more than enough 3DS software to fill out the rest of the year, precisely because titles that were announced ages ago like PM, AC, LM2, and Layton 5 don't have release dates; add in likely localizations like Slime Morimori DQ3 and Fire Emblem and things are looking pretty packed.

Last year, Luigi's Mansion 2 was the only new first-party 3DS announcement. This year, I expect no more than two, maaaaybe three. (I do at least expect a few more third-party announcements this year, whereas Tekken 3D was the only one last year.)

Izick

Don't count on Lucas to make anything good these days.

Well, they've been shit all generation as far as I can remember. I don't think they've developed a single good game. I still stick to my guns and say that TFU is mediocre at best.

EDIT: Thought you meant LucasArts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom