• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I like WiiU, i just think the logo needs to be slightly tweaked.
I gave it a shot and personaly think it looks alot better like this

EIREj.jpg

So yeah, i'd go with new console design. The one shown at E3 was nothing to write home about.

make that U a fingernail like touching a tablet and your golden!

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Would resemble this too much:

Ac5Qa.jpg

well not that much of a finger. Just add a fingernail to the U and make the surrounding block look like the tablet a little more.

PS WTF is up with that game cover. TOUCH DIC LOL How do these things get released without someone thinking it through..

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Agree. But the disc drive has to glow still!

It does not glow as is in the e3-11 design. Since adding the wuc, the glowing drive has become superfluous as the subscreen will be the thing that lights up to let you know you've got mail, so to speak.

Anustart

I think more than one Upad is more important than you think.
WiiU will not be able to differentiate itself with hardware power compared to current gen and will be behind come next gen.

What it needs to offer is unique experiences.
What is one aspect of gaming that Nintendo does better than anyone? What is the main reason why the Wii was successful?

The answer is local multiplayer.

Single pad per console severely limits the potential experiences for local multi, hence Nintendo would lose one of its few competitive advantages.

Not to be trollish, but I think some people are putting too much emphasis on Nintendo being able to support more than one uPad. Sure multiplayer is super important nowadays, but most people are going online to get their multiplayer fix, and in that case, 1 uPad per console is perfect.

For the local multiplayer, experiences built around one uPad and others with wiimotes will probably be amazing anyway. Just because the system may only support one pad doesn't mean that local mp is ruined, just that the game's will be built around the one pad, which can still be kickass in it's own right.

When it comes to multiplayer on the 360 and ps3, it's all almost exclusively done online anyway.

HylianTom

Banned
It does not glow as is in the e3-11 design. Since adding the wuc, the glowing drive has become superfluous as the subscreen will be the thing that lights up to let you know you've got mail, so to speak.

Aww.. that's a bit sad. I liked using that drive light as a nightlight sometimes.

Hopefully the pad's glow will be just as lovely..

Izick

Woops, yeah I meant VC, sorry about that. Has Nintendo said what their plans are for the Wii U and VC? Is everything going to be brought over?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
It would be pretty cool if I got to choose the voice, like Bender did with the ship's new sexy voice upgrade on Futurama.

Ohhhh! That would be crazy. If Nintendo gave the wuc an official voice that spoke to you and had a personality. Like iphone's cyrie, of course.

Yeah, it was the first thing that came to my mind when i first saw the wiimote, as a lot of people. Even a meh% metacritic game, with a good marketing campaign, would have been a commercial success, it's just one of the biggest fantasy/dream since this franchise met video games, to have the feeling to wield a light saber, during a real adventure.

Lucas, please ?!

I'm legit pissed about this. The first time Wii was shown the idea was brought up over and over again, and seeing it years later on Kinect looking and playing like it does feels like a total slap in the face.

An over the shoulder Sin and Punishment like game could potentially be great. On rails, bat back projectiles and carve stuff up when you're close. Lift Zelda SS controls for Jedi battles. Throw in some Time Crisis like blaster sections where you have to use cover?

Game could have been FUCK AWESOME and with a decent marketing campaign, sold gangbusters.

I want to know who the idiot was that put the kibosh on this so I can smack them.

Izick

So, let's say Nintendo has 1 1st Party game planned for the Wii U's launch. What game would you expect it to be, and what game do you unrealistically hope it would be?

I expect: NSMB 2

I hope for: A new SSB title

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Soooo... any chance of a redesigned 3DS (Lite) being shown at E3?

Doubt it.
If the Vita / 3DS situations were reversed then maybe... but at the moment, a redesign would only cut into their profits.

AzaK

hmm, the tablet looks a bit cheap, but the console itself looks pretty classy imo. I do think they really have to get rid of the shiny plastic look and make it matte.

Agreed.

They seriously need an option to turn their blue lights off on anything they do in the future. Having a device in the room at night blinking away is annoying as hell.

So, let's say Nintendo has 1 1st Party game planned for the Wii U's launch. What game would you expect it to be, and what game do you unrealistically hope it would be?

Expect: 2d Mario
Hope: Metroid Prime: Bite Me Master Chief

boiled goose

good with gravy
For the local multiplayer, experiences built around one uPad and others with wiimotes will probably be amazing anyway. Just because the system may only support one pad doesn't mean that local mp is ruined, just that the game's will be built around the one pad, which can still be kickass in it's own right.

When it comes to multiplayer on the 360 and ps3, it's all almost exclusively done online anyway.
Never said ruined. I said limited.

Regarding the bolded.
EXACTLY. Nintendo would be losing a distinct competitive advantage and point of differentiation.

What are the games that succeeded on the Wii and that made it successful? Wii sports, just dance, mario kart, smash, NSMBWii. These experiences are fun because of local multi.
Local multi is something that cant be completely replicated on a apple tablet, or easily on a PC.
People have historically bought nintendo consoles, because of local multi.

AntMurda

They average 2-4 first party titles for every hardware launch in their history.

Aguila

#ICONIC
Soooo... any chance of a redesigned 3DS (Lite) being shown at E3?

It takes Nintendo at least 2 years to release redesigns. The transitions between Gameboy Advance to Gameboy Advance SP, Nintendo DS to Nintendo DS Lite, Nintendo DS Lite to Nintendo DSi all took 2 years I believe. It's only been 1 year into the 3DS' life.

greg400

Banned
It takes Nintendo at least 2 years to release redesigns. The transitions between Gameboy Advance to Gameboy Advance SP, Nintendo DS to Nintendo DS Lite, Nintendo DS Lite to Nintendo DSi all took 2 years I believe. It's only been 1 year into the 3DS' life.

DS > DS Lite
16 Months

Linkhero1

There won't be a 3DS redesign any time soon. They're going to want to put a lot of focus on the Wii U, Wii U software, and 3DS software. If anything, we'll probably see the redesign within the next few months.

HylianTom

Banned
How much would you pay for a "Wii Drive Light" app for the Wii U DRC?
Hmm.. not much, if any at all. I'm not inclined to pay much for DLC-like functions or software. That, and I have other lights in the living room that would serve that purpose well. I have bubble lights, an antiquey Tiffany floor lamp, some Morroccan lanterns.. so I'm not that hard-up for lighting.

I expect: New Super Mario Brothers

I hope for: Donkey Kong Country Returns 2 or Metroid Prime or a new Retro adventure IP

I have a feeling the Retro game will be awesome but be out mid 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom