• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 gameplay video - "Precious Cargo"

Vire

Voice acting is shite.

Also, he slashes the guy on horseback and then proceeds to talk to him afterwords as if nothing happened. Shouldn't he be holding his wounded arm or something?

Voice acting is shite.

Also, he slashes the guy on horseback and then proceeds to talk to him afterwords as if nothing happened. Shouldn't he be holding his wounded arm or something?

He always talks as if nothing happened. I've always hated Geralt's voice / voice actor. It's like they asked him to read ten thousand lines of dialogue in the gruffest, deepest, most monotone and emotionless whisper he could manage.

I'll play the hell out of this, though...lol.

The quality on Youtube even at 1080p is just Horrible.

When are we getting a good video website that do not compress these videos?

The PC version supports the Xbox One controller. Button prompts are a bad indicator of whether a game is PC or Xbox. Being in 60FPS when the console versions are 30FPS is all the indication we need.

To be fair, I see shit posted on YT as "60fps" when it very clearly is not on a pretty regular basis. I don't think paying attention to the resolution and framerate YT claims has much merit, because damn near every single game looks better in person than it ever will on YT.

He always talks as if nothing happened. I've always hated Geralt's voice / voice actor. It's like they asked him to read ten thousand lines of dialogue in the gruffest, deepest, most monotone and emotionless whisper he could manage.

I'll play the hell out of this, though...lol.
I don't mind the deep or gruffy voice. I wish it wasn't so monotone.

d1rtn4p

Seems like a pretty by the books open world game. Quick fetch quest followed by a horse chase followed by an ethical decision.

Courage

Looks ridiculously good. Haven't been this hyped for a game in a while.

Seems like a pretty by the books open world game. Quick fetch quest followed by a horse chase followed by an ethical decision.

C'mon man, generalizing the whole game by one side quest?

Should I play The Witcher 2 before playing this one? I never played any games in the series despite owning part 2(bought it new for $10 during Black Friday but haven't opened it yet).

but this looks amazing.

Tigress

Goddamnit, the more I see the more I get impatient for this game. And still a month away!

That music reminds me a lot of Skyrim (the background stuff playing at the beginning of the quest anyways).

erawsd

Looks stilted and lifeless to me.

I wouldn't call it "lifeless", the facial expressions are surprisingly emotive for an RPG. What throws me off is the lip syncing/animations, it looks like a dub.

Should I play The Witcher 2 before playing this one? I never played any games in the series despite owning part 2(bought it new for $10 during Black Friday but haven't opened it yet).

but this looks amazing.

You dont have to (but you should). According to CDPR the Prologue will get you caught up on everything you need to know, you;ll miss out on some references but nothing major.

Courage

but this looks amazing.

Do it. One of my favorite RPGs of all time.

Cidd

Yup, looks like The Witcher alright. I think I'll pass, don't want to fall asleep halfway through like I did playing the previous 2.

artsi

The quality on Youtube even at 1080p is just Horrible.

When are we getting a good video website that do not compress these videos?

With time when disk space and bandwidth is a non-issue, or when someone invents a miracle compression method.

Of course you can have a video service with very good quality video already (Gamersyde) but when you scale it to YouTube level you'll have a ton of problems, mostly financial.
Currently YouTube barely breaks even, it doesn't really make profit. It's like a cultural treasure that's protected by Google's large wallet.

RK9039

I like Geralt's voice.

but this looks amazing.

Yes, plus your choices will carry over.

I really hate the tiny text of the UI. Makes it hard for me to see in this video and I can't even begin to imagine how it might look like on my 32 inch TV =/

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Probably gonna skip this one. Idk... not doing anything for me.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
One of the worst encoded YouTube videos I've seen for a high profile game on an official channel. Fuck me.

Otherwise looks outstanding, in design, questing, and presentation. This'll be the king of narrative context for quests in an ARPG.

w18ckvm.jpg

w2ohjom.jpg

w3xwkr6.jpg

w4vik1x.jpg

w52ajwb.jpg

RDreamer

but this looks amazing.

Yes.

Witcher 2 is an awesome game, and regardless of Witcher 3, you should play it.

Even though DAI was my GOTY last year, THIS is an example of what I wanted out of the sidequests in that game. Stumble upon someone, have an actual conversation with dialogue, find the trail to wherever, do some investigating, combat, quest isn't what it seems to be, confront with more dialogue, horse chase, ethical decision, cinematic scenes. And this is just a very small side mission in the grand scheme of TW3. So damn good.

The lip sync looks strange. The animations look serviceable. Most of everything else looks great.

The combat though... it doesn't look too hot. Just is giving me all the wrong vibes like TW2.

ironcreed

Banned
Even though DAI was my GOTY last year, THIS is an example of what I wanted out of the sidequests in that game. Stumble upon someone, have an actual conversation with dialogue, find the trail to wherever, do some investigating, combat, quest isn't what it seems to be, confront with more dialogue, horse chase, ethical decision, cinematic scenes. And this is just a very small side mission in the grand scheme of TW3. So damn good.

Yep, for a side quest it looked interesting enough for sure.

Ooccoo

Yea I kinda disliked how the merchant got slashed but it's like nothing happened. Otherwise the game looks stellar even though I'm sure the combat will be frustrating like TW2 which I'm plating now in anticipation.

I give it points for all the extra effort but the quest just came off cheesy to me the way it played out. If it had been an ambush by bandits after Geralt discovers the obvious lies while standing waist deep in a swamp then I would think it was a good side quest.

Some guy making up a big lie that is immediately apparent all to try and trick a WITCHER into doing a fetch quest?

Pretty much mirrors my thoughts!

The lip sync looks strange. The animations look serviceable. Most of everything else looks great.

The combat though... it doesn't look too hot. Just is giving me all the wrong vibes like TW2.
I am still not sold on the combat yet. The animations in combat look just so awkward =/

Yea knew it was BS when they showed the game running like butter in the video, definitely no the X1 version thats for sure lol. Anyway I'm excited, and I know this game is gonna be a huge time sink! I hope I have enough time to beat it before batman..

erawsd

Agreed. Its easy to dismiss it as a "Fetch quest" since you are sent to get an item for NPC, but I think they do enough to really fill it out so its not just go here>do thing>return. It also seems tied into a larger picture since you find out the Nilfgardians are dying from some strange sickness. Also makes me wonder what will happen when/if Geralt encounters the rest of the "underground".

Exentryk

They look incredibly detailed, but the stilted facial performance always detracts from it for me. They just always seem to look so unnatural.

Yeah. But considering this a massive open world game with loads of quests and NPCs, it can be overlooked. The team doesn't have an infinite budget or time.

I am still not sold on the combat yet. The animations in combat look just so awkward =/

The way he moves around on the battlefield, along with Geralt/enemy hit reactions... blah. Doesn't look appealing at all.

This is far from the only footage and piece of information shared with gamers to give them an idea of what to expect from the experience. I am taking said collective information and pairing it with my experience beating numerous games of this type to come to my conclusion.

Ironically, you jumped the gun with your assumptions. :)

If TW3 comes off as a by the numbers "epic" game, your going to have to define epic games for me and give me some examples.

Because I would love to play the shit out of those titles.

One of the worst encoded YouTube videos I've seen for a high profile game on an official channel. Fuck me.
What does this refer to?
Yeah it doesn't look like an 'important' sidequest but it still looks fine to me. The choices sprinkled in it looks very nice.

cackhyena

Ok, and in which RPGs they have better facial animations? And character details?

I'm not sure why you think that's necessary. Call a spade a spade and move on. Plenty of other things about the game look nice. Those aspects don't, and they hurt the game for it.

To me it looks like Geralt and the enemy are about to break out into a dance at any moment.

Yeah, I had this problem with Witcher 2 as well. The problem isn't so much the animations themselves, but the fact that you launch into crazy sword ballet as soon as you touch the attack button rather than building up to it. If your attacks got wilder and wilder the more hits you strung together in a combo it would make sense, but Geralt starts doing flippy dippy ninja shit at the drop of a hat.

ironcreed

Banned
This is far from the only footage and piece of information shared with gamers to give them an idea of what to expect from the experience. I am taking said collective information and pairing it with my experience beating numerous games of this type to come to my current sentiment.

Ironically, you jumped the gun with your assumptions. :)

I was merely responding to what you said:

Something about what I just watched leads me to think it'll be yet another by the numbers "epic" game.

Which of course implies this particular footage. But of course if this is the conclusion you have arrived at from all of the released footage, then that is fine. Suit yourself.

Omni

It looks kinda janky to me and the combat looks rather lifeless

Totally on the fence about this game. Haven't played the last two. But there are some very cool elements here.

Top Bottom