• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 gameplay video - "Precious Cargo"

Exentryk

I am still not sold on the combat yet. The animations in combat look just so awkward =/

I think it'll feel better when we play it, even tho it might look awkward. They made the animations such that first and foremost they were responsive, and then adjusted the animation to fit. So I think it'll feel much better when we play it.

Who the hell is complaining about the voice acting and why?

Geralt is fucking awesome as ever. NPCs sound fine.

As for the "standard fetch quest with moral decision", morality in the Witcher games is not the black and white decision tree, the way it is in many others. Unless they changed it in The Witcher 3, your decisions have actual impacts in the world and don't just fill a bar in one direction.

After watching it again, I think I'll step away from getting this for now and wait until gamers have spent time with it. Something about what I just watched leads me to think it'll be yet another by the numbers "epic" game.

In a week or so several youtubers will post their impressions of the game including 45 minutes of footage they were allowed to record. Early tweets suggest that they liked it. A lot.

So yeah, you can wait for that to get back on the hype train I guess.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I give it points for all the extra effort but the quest just came off cheesy to me the way it played out. If it had been an ambush by bandits after Geralt discovers the obvious lies while standing waist deep in a swamp then I would think it was a good side quest.

Some guy making up a big lie that is immediately apparent all to try and trick a WITCHER into doing a fetch quest?

It is still better than any side quest in DAI. Anyone that I came across, at least.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure why you think that's necessary. Call a spade a spade and move on. Plenty of other things about the game look nice. Those aspects don't, and they hurt the game for it.

3OcTYCu.jpg

To each his own I guess, to me it looks fantastic considering it's a huge open world game without using any mocap,

H4r4kiri

Should I play The Witcher 2 before playing this one? I never played any games in the series despite owning part 2(bought it new for $10 during Black Friday but haven't opened it yet).

but this looks amazing.

Maybe I am a good person to advice you. I have never played, read or had interest in the Witcher series, because I was just too young and do not like RPG's normally. However, since the first Witcher 3 trailer I found interest, but was afraid, because I did know the story etc.
So I wanted to fill my lack oF Witcher knowledge and bought the 1st and 2nd game. I did play the first, because I do not think it aged well (animations,voiceacting etc), but I read and watched a lot of Story recaps and overall story summaries.
The I started to play the Witcher 2 about two weeks ago and I am almost done. The Game is so much fun and really good, but unfortunately, it has a lot of bugs and a quite few flaws ( I play the EE with combat rebalance mod). I think you should play the game, if you want to play a good RPG with a well written story and to introduce yourself to the Witcher.
But, and here is the but, I do not think you have to play the Witcher 2 to understand the Witcher 3. TBH as far as the Trailers goes, I do not know what the story of 3 is gonna be about or I can just guess. The Witcher 1 and 2 do not have a lot, maybe a little, to do with the Witcher 3. I do think that reading the books gives you a lot better background.

I am reading the last wish ( or hearing - audiobooks ftw) and it makes more sence, who Geralt is, becomes and who the characters are. I am about to the read the other books or hear them too, because I do think it will be better to understand the overall picture.
CD project said themselves, that you do not need to play or read any of it, but I do think this is not 100% true.

Overall:
If you want to experience a good RPG and have a little bit more background on Characters etc, go an play the Witcher. If you just want to understand the story of Witcher 3 then don't and just play the third game. Maybe it will grab you like me and you want to read the book too ;)

PS: sorry for bad english

cackhyena

3OcTYCu.jpg

To each his own I guess, to me it looks fantastic considering it's a huge open world game without using any mocap,

I mean, all the stills look gorgeous. I'm just not gonna cut a game slack when it's this disappointing to me in that area. If it means a more believable world because the character/s I follow for 10s of hours are more realistically acted out, I'd take a world half the size they've built here to be able to accomplish that feat. *shrugs*

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I think the character models and faces, particularly the eyes and skin, look absolutely fantastic. The only jarring part is the lip syncing, and I've seen worse. Considering this is a ridiculously huge open world game with no doubt countless characters and hundreds of hours of recorded dialogue, I cannot think of a single other game with better quality relative to scope.

Starviper

Looks good to me! I think the youtube video quality is shit, even if it is 60fps.

I am a bit annoyed with some of the facial animations, and there were a few minor things -- like why does that theif get to keep the bow attached when he's being brought as a prisoner? Lol.

I get the feeling there are going to be a lot of minor things that will bug me in this game, but the 150+ hours of content alleviate my concerns.

I'm loving the world, atmosphere, and dialogue between the characters but the bland looking combat looks a little meh. I couldn't get into the witcher 2 for that very reason. I'm really hoping it feels better to play than it looks because the world just looks so goddamn compelling.

Also the facial animations are bad but that doesn't bother me so much.

Wish the camera were closer to Geralt.

Its just so far out that it takes you out of the game.We're inching on top down view here.(hyperbole but you get the point)

Maybe it will fell better when you actually play the game ? idk

Did you watch the video? Most of the time the camera is close to Geralt. The camera seems to pull back in some situations. I noticed that during combat. I guess they want you to be able to see everything around you.

I'm loving the world, atmosphere, and dialogue between the characters but the bland looking combat looks a little meh. I couldn't get into the witcher 2 for that very reason. I'm really hoping it feels better to play than it looks because the world just looks so goddamn compelling.

That's easily the most common complaint, and not without reason. The attacks and dodges do not seem to have any weight at all. No reactions from enemies. It looks challenging though. I never got bored of TW2's combat, even though it wasn't my favorite by a long shot.

Unfortunately not. It is why I will never beat it.

I knew it. I remember someone tried to convince me a little while back that you could play through DA: I without having to resort to the side-quests but that's not what happened in my play through. God, what an absolutely awful design choice the power system was.

Denton

"There's something behind you!

There's nothing behind me. I'm a Witcher. I'd have heard it."

sogood.gif
Indeed. That was awesome. The whole video I mean.
The atmosphere, level of detail on characters, voice acting, everything is spot on.
My only issue was the decision player picked, my Geralt won't do that.

I mean, all the stills look gorgeous. I'm just not gonna cut a game slack when it's this disappointing to me in that area. If it means a more believable world because the character/s I follow for 10s of hours are more realistically acted out, I'd take a world half the size they've built here to be able to accomplish that feat. *shrugs*

You would prefer better animations to a larger game world/content?

EDIT: for the record, I totally understand your general complaint--I just find it strange that you'd rather eliminate world size (and the content within) for better or more immersive animations.

K.Sabot

This is gonna be the sickest game of the year.

Kinda funny how 2011 was Witcher 2 vs Dark Souls for me and 2015 is gonna be Witcher 3 vs Bloodborne. Who cares what's better, most likely we'll have 2 incredible games very close to each other, don't know how the fall can stack up in comparison.

This is gonna be the sickest game of the year.

Kinda funny how 2011 was Witcher 2 vs Dark Souls for me and 2015 is gonna be Witcher 3 vs Bloodborne. Who cares what's better, most likely we'll have 2 incredible games very close to each other, don't know how the fall can stack up in comparison.
MGSV and Persona 5.

Lunar15

Yeah, interactions are stilted, but it works for what it is. I thought the dialogue was actually better than what I had seen before.

The only thing I could conceivably complain about is that the guy didn't expect Geralt to go "hey, what's this arrow doing in this horse?"

cackhyena

I understand what you're saying.

When you create a world this large, environments alone will not immerse everyone into the world they've created. With that said, I think no one element can be responsible for an immersive world, personally. It's how all the elements are glued together. The stuff you're mentioning may be distracting, but I also want to see how NPCs act on the roads, listen to the soundtrack beats and any emotion they may evoke in conjunction to what is happening on screen.

Of course, all that has to work with a great combat system in a game like this. We'll see how that unfolds. I remember watching Arkham Asylum previews a few years back thinking "why is Bats teleporting" but damn if that wasn't a revelation in practice.

Same; it's one example of how I cannot understand people's defense for it. Like I get that different strokes etc and I try and empathize what element in a game works for some people...DA:I just escapes me. It was the only game I did not see all the way through last year.
I still plan on getting it. I'm hoping the combat is what really pulls me in. I was the same way with the Arkham games.

The only thing I could conceivably complain about is that the guy didn't expect Geralt to go "hey, what's this arrow doing in this horse?"
Well, I mean he wouldn't know exactly where the horse went though. Could have felt the horse likely ran off afterwards or something, maybe not have ended up right where the wagon is.

cackhyena

You would prefer better animations to a larger game world/content?

EDIT: for the record, I totally understand your general complaint--I just find it strange that you'd rather eliminate world size (and the content within) for better or more immersive animations.
Easily. Because there has yet to be a game that tries for a world this big that doesn't eventually wear out its welcome for me. Inquisition, Skyrim, and the like. They simply don't hold enough interesting content outside of the cinematic nature for me to want to stick around. If the side quests really are that varied and have decent writing and scenarios, it's just that much more dragged down when the puppets don't convincingly act it out.

Like I said, though. I'm still looking forward to it on the whole.

HeelPower

Did you watch the video? Most of the time the camera is close to Geralt. The camera seems to pull back in some situations. I noticed that during combat. I guess they want you to be able to see everything around you.

I watched the video.

It gets even farther during combat.I understand the need to have everything visible but that's just ridiculous.

Look how tiny Geralt and the drowner look in that fight.Am I playing League of Legends or a visceral action game ?

This a disappointing aspect of the game to be quite honest.

gQeUxnc.png

I really don't like this strategy of wrapping the game up a month before release, then using that month to release a new video every single day! My hype can't take it.

Luckily I have GTA5 to go home to.... but it's not scratching the open world itch for some reason. The world is huge and there's a lot to do, but nothing interesting happens on my way from point A to point B. Just driving.

I really can't wait to be exploring a huge world and actually discover new shit along the way. Or stumble upon new quests. Or run into a huge monster that can whoop my ass, jot down the location, and return later with a bigger sword.

Dragon Age Inquisition didn't even really do it for me. I put a ton of time into that game, but the world was so lifeless and static. No towns or villages. No day\night cycle. It never really felt like a place. The Witcher 3 looks like a convincing world though. Can't wait.

I watched the video.

It gets even farther during combat.I understand the need to have everything visible but that's just ridiculous.

It's the farthest away during combat for sure. But when you're exploring, the camera seems to be at a more "Witcher 2" like distance. I'm sure someone will mod the camera though. Or I will in cheat engine.

Denton

I really don't like this strategy of wrapping the game up a month before release, then using that month to release a new video every single day! My hype can't take it.

Luckily I have GTA5 to go home to.... but it's not scratching the open world itch for some reason. The world is huge and there's a lot to do, but nothing interesting happens on my way from point A to point B. Just driving.

I really can't wait to be exploring a huge world and actually discover new shit along the way. Or stumble upon new quests. Or run into a huge monster that can whoop my ass, jot down the location, and return later with a bigger sword xD
Exactly this, as much as I enjoy GTA, the exploration itch just isn't scratched, this will hopefully do it.
I don't mind the hype train, it's part of the fun for me :).

Exentryk

This old 35 min gameplay video is also a good watch if people haven't seen it already - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx8kQ4s5hCY

I watched the video.

Look how tiny Geralt and the drowner look in that fight.Am I playing League of Legends or a visceral action game ?

gQeUxnc.png

I think the devs said you can adjust the camera.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Few things i don't like.

* Wind sound is too overdone, it's like you're on the beach and you hear the waves

* dialogue is atrocious

* combat seems a bit wonky

* So he hit this guy with the sword, blood everywhere yet in the cutscene he's completely fine? if you do that slo-mo attack on horseback to a "normal" enemy you can cut him in half but since this is an "important" NPC he's fine afterwards? ....meh

2015-04-2217_22_15-thvmun9.png

But besides that the game looks really good and i can't wait to play it.

artsi

and there's nary a chance P5 comes out anywhere but Japan in 2015.

I know we haven't seen much, but that's their strategy. I'm sure it'll come and we'll hear / see a ton more when the P4D hype is done.

P5 could already be content finished and full speed into localization as far as we know, but P4D has to come out first before it's taken out of the bag.

viveks86

I really can't wait to be exploring a huge world and actually discover new shit along the way. Or stumble upon new quests. Or run into a huge monster that can whoop my ass, jot down the location, and return later with a bigger sword.

Dragon Age Inquisition didn't even really do it for me. I put a ton of time into that game, but the world was so lifeless and static. No towns or villages. No daynight cycle. It never really felt like a place. The Witcher 3 looks like a convincing world though. Can't wait.

I feel ya. I've bought gta v twice now and I'm still not hooked. Everything feels so random and aimless. Kind of why I never finished any gta game. Not my kind of open world. Hopefully the witcher scratches that itch

I watched the video.

gQeUxnc.png

League of Legends? lol, never change GAF.

Top Bottom