• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 gameplay video - "Precious Cargo"

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
The lack of blood or sign of injury is only an overlooked details, for a side quest character.

?

2015-04-2218_20_39-thb8u6t.png

misho8723

Banned
the vegetation and trees blowing in the wind look really bad
the horse tail animation is laughable
the game seems to be another one of those, open world and linear mission types
the combat doesnt look satisfying either

:/

Did you even seen that video?
Goddammit some people on here are just, .... arggg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
If you just search for the box and don't bother with anything else, you can come back to the merchant just fine. The quest does not prompt you to investigate more until you actively investigate something that is out of place but not necessarily the box.
If you don't bother to further investigate, you will not have the option to expose his lies.
If you want a more challenging approach to catching the man maybe you should find out where he is operating from? Maybe he has friends, after all he mentioned a unit. Maybe you could use other ways to knock him down? Maybe you forgot how to horse for a moment and lose his tracks.
And last but not least, this is a prologue area Quest. It is intended to help players get more comfortable with the game, how it works, and the systems in play. For this we also have to take into account people who have never played a Witcher Game, or an RPG, or maybe even a Video Game before. Which is why the structure is relatively straightforward. However there are still many variables at play here that you could nto see in a single play of the quest.

Dev quotes on the quest.

There's no way this doesn't end up in the running for GOTY. I mean everything looks incredible

Edit: Also what is up with the extreme nitpicking I see in general around this game? Every preview from journalist is positive. I get being cautious and not "hyped" but man it seems like in many Witcher 3 threads there are some people looking for anything possible to criticize

Probably not, but just because it is open world doesnt mean we have to gush at (non-important) character models that have been clearly surpassed.

If a new standard is reached in a particular genre, then what's the problem "gushing" over it? Other games having more impressive character models doesn't take away from the fact that this game has the best ones in it's respective genre.

It's also unreasonable to call them amazing, as the person i was responding to did.

Lol, what? It's perfectly reasonable. It's all relative.

the vegetation and trees blowing in the wind look really bad
the horse tail animation is laughable
the game seems to be another one of those, open world and linear mission types
the combat doesnt look satisfying either

:/

the wind and trees moving looks great, the wind will change dependin on what weather you are having. Seems also to blow more near the coast.

Trickster

Oh the humanity.

Seems like a legit issue imo. You and I realize that that's not how the xbox version will run, but other people might not.

As for the footage itself. It's definitely got some jank in the converstations, and geralt hitting the guy with a sword, only to have him be perfectly fine the next moment was pretty jaring. Honestly though, I just happy to see that the quest which started off sounding like a fetch quest, evolved into more than that, living up to what CDPR have said about fetch quests in the game.

Does the combat feel "heavy" in this game?

After Bloodborne and DS2, I'm suddenly a big fan of active combat that takes into account stuff like weapon weight, speed, dodging, blocking, etc....

Okay, so the scale of how much they're fitting in the game is impressive. We shouldn't conflate that with how the NPCs, in and of themselves, look. People do not take a "Well, considering..." approach to judging games at face value, rightly or wrongly.

The number of NPCs or scale of the game won;t matter if people cannot suspend their disbelief at the models. They'll probably never get around to exploring everything or meeting everyone because of it.
If this was the case, then we'd look at every single thing in this world in a vacuum irrespective of anything else. It just doesn't work like that. I could say "Meh, the NPCs look mediocre here compared to something like The Order 1886?" but that would be a fair statement? Not at all, and fairly irrational.

I also think many people do in fact take that approach when judging games, hence why many are impressed by how good the NPCs look, the level of detail, etc going into this game.

Looks incredible.

Sure, the dialog is brutal but honestly Naughty Dog has ruined that for me in pretty much every game so it's easy for me to overlook it. Plus the last time I played a game similar to this was Skyrim and we all know how that dialog was.

golem

If a new standard is reached in a particular genre, then what's the problem "gushing" over it? Other games having more impressive character models doesn't take away from the fact that this game has the best ones in it's respective genre.

Lol, what? It's perfectly reasonable. It's all relative.

A new standard? Sure W3's npc models might be superior in pure poly count and texture resolution but overall they pale in comparison to those found in GTA V, both artistically and animation-wise. If this stilted and completely bland looking NPC is the new standard of the generation then boy are we aiming our sights low.

There's no way this doesn't end up in the running for GOTY. I mean everything looks incredible

Edit: Also what is up with the extreme nitpicking I see in general around this game? Every preview from journalist is positive. I get being cautious and not "hyped" but man it seems like in many Witcher 3 threads there are some people looking for anything possible to criticize

Some of the nitpicking might be crazy (camera angles) but I feel some of it is definitely warranted.

As a fan of CDPr and TW1/2, I'm already sold on so many of the design decisions behind the game so it's dissapointing to see what appears to be pretty poor combat once again.

Virdix

A new standard? Sure W3's npc models might be superior in pure poly count and texture resolution but overall they pale in comparison to those found in GTA V, both artistically and animation-wise. If this stilted and completely bland looking NPC is the new standard of the generation then boy are we aiming our sights low.
I mean, art definitely isnt subjective. Im sure if it was reasonable to do facial mo caps for all NPCS in the Witcher they would have.

Elandyll

Banned
Funny thing is that at first, watching the video I was "Wait .. They ranted about fetch quests for ages, and for the first quest shown they showcase .. a Fetch quest?"
But then it ended up being quite a bit more involved and with moral/ story decisions than expected, so all is well :)

The models look great imo. Some combat animation jankiness (par for a Witcher game? ;) ) aside, it looks stunning and can't wait for my Steam Pre Order to finally be "available to play" :)

Seanspeed

Banned
Dev quotes on the quest.
Was pretty obvious given the state of the player's inventory and quest page.

If this was the case, then we'd look at every single thing in this world in a vacuum irrespective of anything else. It just doesn't work like that. I could say "Meh, the NPCs look mediocre here compared to something like The Order 1886?" but that would be a fair statement? Not at all, and fairly irrational.

I also think many people do in fact take that approach when judging games, hence why many are impressed by how good the NPCs look, the level of detail, etc going into this game.
Even in a vacuum, the character models look pretty damn good to me.

Do we know if ALL quests will have a marker on the map to indicate where they are. I noticed this one did. I was a fan of Inquisition marking every quest

Quite the false dichotomy there, Shinob. We're talking about video games here. I'm not judging what is or isn't fair, hence my use of the words rightly or wrongly. Not everyone is going to read up on a dev's diary before judging something at face value. It's why we read a lot of "why do character models only look slightly better than last gen" remarks often.

I do not care about quantity of content, personally; I would rather see some leaps in world immersion than worry about how big said world is when it comes to production values.
Then just replace my statement with video games, it wouldn't change. I understand not everyone takes the time to really dig into a game when doing comparisons, but that doesn't negate what I said. I still feel it's wrong and unreasonable, that's it really.

Funny thing is that at first, watching the video I was "Wait .. They ranted about fetch quests for ages, and for the first quest shown they showcase .. a Fetch quest?"
But then it ended up being quite a bit more involved and with moral/ story decisions than expected, so all is well :)

The models look great imo. Some combat animation jankiness (par for a Witcher game? ;) ) aside, it looks stunning and can't wait for my Steam Pre Order to finally be "available to play" :)

Yea, but it was a fetch quest that involved tracking, investigating clues, a chase-down and ultimately a player-based "trial" where you serve as the judge and jury with a couple options to choose from.

I'll take that over "clear the rats in the cellar, retrieve my shiny shoes and return to me for some coins".

The Witcher 3 |OT| Starring Geralt of Rivia as Batman

The Witcher 3 |OT| Real-time beard growth

The Witcher 3 |OT| You can't sneak up on a Witcher

Meh, that's all I could think of.

mNX.gif

cackhyena

My problem is it doesn't matter how good they look (and they do look very good) if they animate...unconvincingly. It's why I said I'd have half of everything they have on offer to spend more time on that aspect. Half the NPCs, half the world size. Everything is more meaningful to me. Bigger isn't always better. But we have what we have and on the whole, it's a pretty big achievement, it seems.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Been a while since witcher 2, can someone catch me up on if you were fighting with or against Nilfgard in the beginning of 2?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Been a while since witcher 2, can someone catch me up on if you were fighting with or against Nilfgard in the beginning of 2?

The political climate during The Witcher 2 is that
Nilfgaard is scheming a new war/invasion to take the Northern Kingdoms, and that's why Letho was doing what he was doing. He was seeding chaos into the Northern realm by offing kings and what not. The Witcher 3 takes place during the invasion.

Nilfgaard are generally seen as the "bad guys", but the Nothern realms are fucked too so *shrug*

ys45

I have a feeling that the combat won't be that much better but combat from Witcher 2 did not bother me so much .

Philtastic

After playing a lot of GTA V PC in the past week and finding that it can be a very computationally demanding game (it really is the new Crysis BUT while scaling well to lower end systems), I was getting a little worried about Witcher 3. This video, however, does demonstrate one good performance route that Witcher 3 has taken compared to GTA V: the grass doesn't seem to cast shadows whereas there is no way to disable them in GTA V without also disabling other, more noticeable shadows. Having every tuft of grass cast shadows is, in my opinion, a really big waste of computational resources and has made it a big challenge for GTA V players to optimize their settings ("I can max out the game, 1080p60! Oh wait, just reached the countryside with grass, down to 30 fps!"). This gives me hope that the Witcher 3 has sensible graphic settings.

Ignoring the hyperbole, I'd agree in regards to animation and art. But the latter is purely subjective. From a technical viewpoint, though (which is what I thought we were debating), I haven't seen any open-world game with more impressive models than what I've seen in TW3. Usually there is a huge gap between main characters and NPCs in regards to model quality, but the gap doesn't seem as huge in TW3 which I think is what most people are impressed by. There's much more consistency between them.

That's just baffling, dude; It isn't wrong or unreasonable for others to prioritize what they would like to see in their gaming experiences. The bar for many is not going to be about the number of NPCs in a game.
No I don't think it's wrong to prioritize what's important to you, I think it's wrong to completely shut out why such a thing is. If these random, optional NPCs look as good as they do here while taking into account everything else about the game like the sheer size, amount of detail put into the world, amount of writing and dialogue and overall scope and someone replies "Meh don't care! NPCs still look subpar in comparison to X and X linear game", I'll feel that's unreasonable.

Nothing wrong with saying that you wish such and such wasn't this way and they focused instead on such and such, but I'm not talking about that. I'm saying this game should be looked at as a sum of all its parts. I feel that's a lot more rational and fair. Not sure what else I can say on the matter.

Nilfgaard is scheming a new war/invasion to take the Northern Kingdoms, and that's why Letho was doing what he was doing. He was seeding chaos into the Northern realm by offing kings and what not. The Witcher 3 takes place during the invasion.

Nilfgaard are generally seen as the "bad guys", but the Nothern realms are fucked too so *shrug*

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that it takes place
after the invasion has already succeeded? Nilfgaard basically controls the North at this point, I think.

Game looks totally incredible. Can't wait for the 19th.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!

Cheers.

I need to go back and watch summary vids for both 1 and 2, hardly remember them.

Lunar15

after the invasion has already succeeded? Nilfgaard basically controls the North at this point, I think.

No, it seems that they control Vizima, but there's other kings left to off. The prologue area seems to be controlled by Nilfgaard, but everywhere else seems to be fighting the invasion.

The animations look awful.

I'm NOT referring to the facial / convo stuff...but the running and combat. Kind of weird having poor running animations in an open world game...and a third person one to boot.

I'm pretty sure
Radovid is still alive and kicking, seeing as how Novigrad (independent but an enclave within his realms) is untouched by war.

Top Bottom