• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There’s no arrogance like Sony arrogance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indyana

So the relation of hardware cost and price isn't a facotr on overpricing a product? if it sells it's not overpriced? If I put a wii at 500$ on christmas 2006 it's not overpriced if I sell it?

I'm talking about a strictly objective relation hardware-price, specially since the wii was sold, at least in a huge percentage, to people who dont even know what hardware means, neither what technology they are buying.

I was in a software store at christmas 2007, and boy they jumped like crazy to get one... for their kid.
Things cost whatever people are willing to pay for them.

And if you are willing to believe Forbes, Nintendo won 8 dollars on each Wii at launch. Wii was no overpriced.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I don't post often, or at all really. And this will most likely get buried beneath all the other more worthwhile posts.
I just wanted to state my opinion that this could very well be an interesting conversation topic if people actually talked about it. The way arrogance in the higher ups of a gaming company can translate down, lead to poor sales, rushed products, and inconsistent marketing. And how the shape of the future of the company can be seen as brighter since, as has been started numerous times, many of these people no longer work for the company. I don't know much about all of the individual people that work or have worked for Sony, but can any correlations be drawn from when arrogance came, when it left, and how the sales/marketing of the companies products affected the consumers?

It truly was stubbornness

Arrogance in Sony culture isn't something new, from the days of the Walkman and so forth they always tried define themselves the top company

They way the company is set up is for so much in-fighting, that products released already have to combat their own companies different sectors to even become profitable

They have been humbled by competitors to a point, but the arrogance culture isn't created it's breeded in

King_Moc

Banned
One of the most memorable for me was when MS were showing Shadow Complex at E3 and one of them said they were dragging Metroid into the current gen. This is after the entire Metroid Prime trilogy had been released.

I mean, crap on another franchise all you like, but all you're doing is risking that Nintendo fans won't buy your game. And the majority of Xbox owners probably don't even know what a metroid is.

Anyway, that's small fry compared to all those Sony quotes. Most come across as very delusional. Worrying, considering how much money they're in charge of.

Arklite

Maybe it didn't. But the movements such as wii60 that appeared because of some of them changed some people purchasing decisions.

I'd say that had more to do with pricing, plus the early Xbox lead meaning they had a nice dedicated (subscribed) foothold and hugely improved online interface, and the excitement of new motion controls on Wii. But as I said, most posts here are pure speculation/anecdotal notes/opinion including my own.

I don't post often, or at all really. And this will most likely get buried beneath all the other more worthwhile posts.
I just wanted to state my opinion that this could very well be an interesting conversation topic if people actually talked about it. The way arrogance in the higher ups of a gaming company can translate down, lead to poor sales, rushed products, and inconsistent marketing. And how the shape of the future of the company can be seen as brighter since, as has been started numerous times, many of these people no longer work for the company. I don't know much about all of the individual people that work or have worked for Sony, but can any correlations be drawn from when arrogance came, when it left, and how the sales/marketing of the companies products affected the consumers?

Good post, and more of what I expected to see from GAF. Sometimes GAF lets me down as far as Gamer side discussion and objectivity, but this makes me happy.

Your thoughts are the same as mine. As for the arrogance, those who followed the 2005 E3 and the chaos that ensued for the next 18 months know how relevant these PR quotes were to the effort to build hype for the upcoming PS3. It worked on a great number of gamers who "held the line" and refused to buy a 360 because it would be superior to the 360 hardware in a meaningful way. FLOPS and stuff. They believed it because the PR guys said so.

The same recipie is part of what helped them roll over the Dreamcast like a tsunami and dominate last gen. As such, they simply re-implemented the gameplan with hopes of "Dreamcasting" (remember that phrase?!!!?) the 360.

My only question is whether intelligent gamers will fall for Microsoft/Sony PR spin again...or if they'll simply let the games speak for themselves?

I'm hoping the later...but some people have a hard time hiding fanboyism.

You Mean this :

Hello. Between march 2007 and march 2008 I was involved in testing a physics engine with a Japanese company called Polyphony Digital who make a driving simulator called Gran Turismo. During this process a brilliant Japanese cryptographer/physicist who was hired by Polyphony Digital developed a new type of code, which was used to control how the grip of the car would behave. This new code was then developed even further after I did a lot of testing with it.

This code worked like a chain so it could also run at a speed. I was able to make the speed of this chain run very quickly, quite easily. After about 1 week I managed to bring this code all the way to the speed of light. In order to do this I had to think and move at the speed of light over a short time, about 3 or 4 seconds each effort. When I did, the last decision I made with my left hand broke through the fabric of space -time. At this moment my arm became light. By the time I looked away from my arm all the matter around me had become light and then space. For about 10 seconds I could see nothing but perfect white light and it was conscious, powerful and infinite. Then the light seemed to draw my attention to my left where there was somebody sitting down. At the time I didn’t recognise this person as I was very shocked and the whole thing caught me by surprise.

With binary code travelling the speed of light it was now possible to run scientific equations in 3 dimensions. This allowed for the equation/test that found the points of inertia in the car. I found all these points and they made up the shape of a cross in the base of the chassis. For the cross to function it had to be placed somewhere. Another physicist who was hired later on by Polyphony Digital figured out that it went above the car. I then suggested that there might be a halo around the car and there was. Another physicist found that the weight of the car is shaped like a pair of balls.

So this was confirmation that the light I saw was God and the person sitting to his right was Jesus. This system of inertia symbolises what it took for him to go through with his own crucifixion. You have to see it.

http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1561

thank you Alebrije. i swear there was a thread here about it.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
What is with your obsession with Sony's reputation? You're another one of those getting upset in the Kamiya thread so I find it funny that you ask why we are laughing at you guys.

What is it with your obsession about other GAFfers, stalk much?

Ah, well talking about price when trying to sell the PS3 wasn't smart.

Yeah, but I dont see any arrogance. That's the kind of games journalism we hate nowadays, that is pretty much the heritage of the sensationalist press back at the pre-current gen. They just noticed that people enjoy reading their companies (as in, the ones you side with) trashing others to cheer it, or their companies getting trashed to react.

Such is the era we live in.

Kanguro

Neo Member
Whatever the original intentions of this thread were it has now turned into the worst kind of thread GAF is able to produce.

This place really kind of goes to shit during console transitions and I expect we're going to get plenty more threads that devolve like this over the next 2 years.

Mileena

Banned
oh man this thread
DbOV2.gif

Gorillaz

"lol cows just waiting for that flop to get better! "

"shutup and go pay $50 to play halo online you stupid lemming!"

Yea I also read some of Gamespots threads. Their general gaming forums are pretty toxic most of the time it's humor but people get offended very easily.

jesus so many suicide accounts in that thread. It is considered one of the greatest threads on there along with one thread called "the ps3 is on a treadmill". Look up that one lol.

This does remind me of it alot of those threads lol.

Nilaul

Sony marketing even advised there consumers to commit suicide at a train station before they buy their portable.

evolution

Whatever the original intentions of this thread were it has now turned into the worst kind of thread GAF is able to produce.

This place really kind of goes to shit during console transitions and I expect we're going to get plenty more threads that devolve like this over the next 2 years.
Its going to be worse than last time if were already at this point now lol.

Arklite

Looking back, most of these things seem ridiculous. The question is: What were they supposed to say? "Yeah, the Xbox is about as good as our system. Multiplats will usually be better on Microsoft's console but exclusives look slightly better than anything on the Xbox". You need something better than that to keep everyone happy.

True, not a lot you can do other than spin some positives. They could've been more tactful, for sure, but it's likely that they themselves were under a lot of frustration and it came out in their statements in the form of arrogance. Sales were slow and they had the tough job of making an expensive box a success.

Drago

What is with your obsession with Sony's reputation? You're another one of those getting upset in the Kamiya thread so I find it funny that you ask why we are laughing at you guys.

dude

what

I don't give a rats ass about some companies reputation and every post in the Kamiya thread of mine was a joke

I'm more of a Nintendo fan anyways, I care more about them than Sony

Card Boy

Banned
I know i make stupid ass posts but some of you guys take the cake. We have new RavenFoxs/MrPliskin/Wollans in the making here.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
This thread makes me glad I'm old enough that I do not consider Sony to be synonymous with videogames. They're just another Johnny-Come-Lately next to Nintendo and Sega, kids.

When you look at Sony's complete dominance with the PSone and the PS2, it's kind of hard to blame them for the arrogance at the beginning of this gen. They really did think the PlayStation brand was strong enough to support whatever craziness they threw at the consumer base.

You Mean this :

Hello. Between march 2007 and march 2008 I was involved in testing a physics engine with a Japanese company called Polyphony Digital who make a driving simulator called Gran Turismo. During this process a brilliant Japanese cryptographer/physicist who was hired by Polyphony Digital developed a new type of code, which was used to control how the grip of the car would behave. This new code was then developed even further after I did a lot of testing with it.

This code worked like a chain so it could also run at a speed. I was able to make the speed of this chain run very quickly, quite easily. After about 1 week I managed to bring this code all the way to the speed of light. In order to do this I had to think and move at the speed of light over a short time, about 3 or 4 seconds each effort. When I did, the last decision I made with my left hand broke through the fabric of space -time. At this moment my arm became light. By the time I looked away from my arm all the matter around me had become light and then space. For about 10 seconds I could see nothing but perfect white light and it was conscious, powerful and infinite. Then the light seemed to draw my attention to my left where there was somebody sitting down. At the time I didn’t recognise this person as I was very shocked and the whole thing caught me by surprise.

With binary code travelling the speed of light it was now possible to run scientific equations in 3 dimensions. This allowed for the equation/test that found the points of inertia in the car. I found all these points and they made up the shape of a cross in the base of the chassis. For the cross to function it had to be placed somewhere. Another physicist who was hired later on by Polyphony Digital figured out that it went above the car. I then suggested that there might be a halo around the car and there was. Another physicist found that the weight of the car is shaped like a pair of balls.

So this was confirmation that the light I saw was God and the person sitting to his right was Jesus. This system of inertia symbolises what it took for him to go through with his own crucifixion. You have to see it.

http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1561

JHavJ.gif

Delivered.

Wow, calm down. No reason to get so upset!

Coming from someone who posted the following messages;

Wow, the Sony haters have been out in full force this last week.

At least it makes for hilarious topics like this one.

Wait, someone ACTUALLY said this?

Haha.

Wait, someone ACTUALLY said this?

Haha.

Well, that changes everything!

It's true. I'm a little lightheaded from laughing at this thread.

I think I will have a sit down.

Yep, no other reasons, of course.

What do you mean?

This thread was created by one of GAF's most amazing members, for the sole purpose of creating meaningful and intelligent discussion.

You'd never see a thead like this on GameFAQ's.

Come on, man.

If it will make you feel better, go for it!

I don't know.

I think Microsoft has all the GAF PR they need with Speedy these days.

Though maybe Mama wants that job, and is making a push?

Damn, look at all that salt!

Where have you been? It's been 'cry about Sony' week for awhile now. =P

Haha.

I think the best part about the thread has been the people who reach so hard to try and peg people as 'butthurt' or 'salty'.

I have been.

It's not pretty. :(

I think you should follow your own advice!

Why so salty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom