• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There’s no arrogance like Sony arrogance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FStop7

Banned
596680-gif_bane_1_and_here_we_go.gif

Why does he flinch? That bugs me so much!

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Don't get me wrong, the quotes cited in the op are both interesting and entertaining, but.. Just look at all of the subsequent bullshit that inevitably followed. This thread has turned to garbage in no time flat and there's no going back!

And really, who couldn't have predicted all of this, given this thread's composition?

Oh well, I guess it's time to grab some Orville Redenbacher

Popcorn! GET YOUR POPCORN HERE

vQQJP.jpg

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
True friends would buy a Vita and subscribe to PS+ out of sheer support RT @Gospel: all it does is promote making fun of Sony. And Sony certainly doesn't need this right now. i mean, did you see the loses they posted just a couple of days ago? Right now we should all be rallying up in support of them like a true friend would do.

let's all join hands in prayer.

Kyoufu

I'm just curious why the OP felt the need to go through quotes that have been mocked and ridiculed to death already and do it all over again?

Don't get me wrong, the quotes cited in the op are both interesting and entertaining, but.. Just look at all of the subsequent bullshit that inevitably followed. This thread has turned to garbage in no time flat and there's no going back!

And really, who couldn't have predicted all of this, given this thread's composition?

Oh well, I guess it's time to grab some Orville Redenbacher

Lighten up bro! Like another user pointed out, Sony's management has changed a lot over the last two years. Hell, Phil Harrison (one of the buffoon quoted in the OP) is now at Microsoft.

squidyj

Actually now that I think about it there's really no arrogance like anonymous internet arrogance really. That's the arrogance of which there is no arrogance like it.

No.

And I'm not even going to bother with quotes because Google exists.

All companies make these stupid PR statements all the time. The crazyness depends on the situation and the person who is making them. The problem here is that many people have a serious case of confirmation bias where they can't see the stupidity coming from their company.

”Did you see the movie 'The Matrix'? Same interface. Same concept.” (Ken Kutaragi on the online capabilities on the upcoming PS3, 2000)
This might have been said, but this quote is about the PS2, not the PS3. Note the date. The source article here makes it clear that it's about the PS2. http://www2.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/02-27-2000/0001150833&EDATE

On another note...
"We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?" (Kaz Hirai. 2009)
Hah... :D I think that this one's the best quote of all of those, just so ridiculously arrogant and absurd...

In retrospect, many of these quotes are hilarious given how things ended up this generation. Is it unfair to label them as a stream of incomparable arrogance?

Its been difficult to find many quotes from previous generations, so I'm unable to establish if this attitude has been predominantly from this generation, or was just as apparent during the time of the PS1 and 2.

A few questions:

(1) Was there some sort of mentality of invulnerability or inevitable success permeating the company, or could there have been some PR doctrine requesting everyone simply come across as being as ridiculously, absurdly confident as possible?

(2) Did comments like those listed above tarnish your opinion of the Sony brand in any way, or were you happy to dismiss them as eccentric ramblings of detached execs?

(3) What's the silliest/most ridiculous/your just-plain-favourite quote?

(4) Am I being unfair - is there a company in the industry that has provided more arrogant quotes than those above? (Examples please).

Yes, Sony does have a history of this stuff. It's not exclusive to Sony -- overdone PR hype is certainly a common issue -- but if you look at PS2 hype like that 'playing PS2 is like jacking into the Matrix' one, you'd notice a lot of that stuff was there then too. Of course, then Sony was number one... but still, that's a completely absurd quote.

Of course overdone PR and extreme arrogance are not a Sony-exclusive problems. But Sony does do that kind of thing worse than anyone else, or at least worse than anyone else in the past couple of generations; earlier it'd be much harder to say.

True friends would buy a Vita and subscribe to PS+ out of sheer support RT @Gospel: all it does is promote making fun of Sony. And Sony certainly doesn't need this right now. i mean, did you see the loses they posted just a couple of days ago? Right now we should all be rallying up in support of them like a true friend would do.

let's all join hands in prayer.
#gamechanger

Satchel

Banned
The OP almost makes it seem like he's surprised?

Sony was arrogant as fuck looooong before the PS3 launched. Google-fu back to the PS2 launch if you can be bothered.

EVOL 100%

You can like Sony but you still have to admit that their PR was made completely out of bullshit.

Well, that's not to say that PR from the others aren't made up of bullshit, but in Sony's case it's so blatant it's hilarious.

Yea, lot's o bullshit. But that's the majority of companies that are trying to make money... I mean, Microsoft did a Cirque du soleil extravaganza to reveal the name of the Kinect.

And can we get a ban on that mofo "Here We Go" Joker gif? Sweet god. It's in every thread I visit.... yes the thread is starting, people will complain/argue. There hasn't been a thread where that hasn't happened, so we don't need to post that in every goddam thread (multiple times even).

Thanks!

No. The most yeah best NO!

I like their first party line up a lot, if it wasn't for that I would be a PC gamer exclusively. And what's wrong with PSN? It's perfectly functional just like Steam and at least the online play is free....your statements are very fanboyish...

It's not cause of those stupid quotes, it's cause PS3 was overpriced technical disaster.
The vast majority of console owners have no idea who Peter Moore is nor what Sony said pre-launch. I'm sure you find it more assuring to think your PR outrage is why the Xbox is ahead of the PS3 in sales but it's not. Earlier launch + launch price difference + xbox live is what got MS it's lead.
I'll clarify. There's 2 tides. One is the overall market tide, and one is the hardcore gamer tide.

The overall market shifted to the Wii, but the hardcore market shifted to the 360.

Just look at it now, the overall market is shifting to the 360, but online on msg boards and forums, the generally hardcore tide is slowly shifting back to Sony. The attitude of the execs are a big part in the way the hardcore views the first party companies.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Holy shit wow i never heard of these before. How could his company not shut him up after saying stuff like this ?

The 'too cheap' comment sort of makes sense. Yeah, RRP at $599 was insane and a ridiculous price point to the consumer, but since each PS3 supposedly cost Sony about $800 to build, I can sort of see his point, considering the HW they stuffed in the box at the time. Still, it wasn't a particularly smart thing to say.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I don't think there's a good discussion to be had out of this topic other than to point and mock, but then again I think these quotes deserve to be pointed out and mocked.

"He certainly likes to make a lot of noise.” (Sir Howard Stringer on the expressed concerns of the leader of one of the biggest third parties in the industry, Bobby Kotick, 2009).

That's exactly what I hear every time I hear Bobby Kotick speak: noise.

I imagine he sounds like noise in my head -_-

Yea, lot's o bullshit. But that's the majority of companies that are trying to make money...

And can we get a ban on that mofo "Here We Go" Joker gif? Sweet god. It's in every thread I visit.... yes the thread is starting, people will complain/argue. There hasn't been a thread where that hasn't happened, so we don't need to post that in every goddam thread (multiple times even).

Thanks!

The funniest thing about that .gif is that it comes from a bootleg version of the movie.

Just like the Spiderman 3 "sogood" gif.

The bane one is from a Cam as well.

The sad thing is they actually believed these things they were saying. You can't knock their ambition, so where did they fail? I don't know if the tech has ever really underperformed (other than a ton of 3rd part games), but it seems like they just did not read the market right. They were very wishful thinkers, but it's like they saw their company from within a bubble, unaffected by their customers or competitors decisions. I hope one of the exec's stumbles upon this thread and is able to review the kind of thinking that needs to stop at Sony.

The sad thing is they actually believed these things they were saying. You can't knock their ambition, so where did they fail? I don't know if the tech has ever really underperformed (other than a ton of 3rd part games), but it seems like they just did not read the market right. They were very wishful thinkers, but it's like they saw their company from within a bubble, unaffected by their customers or competitors decisions. I hope one of the exec's stumbles upon this thread and is able to review the kind of thinking that needs to stop at Sony.

Sony flew too close to the sun.

All they wanted was to make incredible video games.

rpmurphy

You can like Sony but you still have to admit that their PR was made completely out of bullshit.

Well, that's not to say that PR from the others aren't made up of bullshit, but in Sony's case it's so blatant it's hilarious.
If only Twitter and smartphones were around back then.

sp3000

What do you mean?

This thread was created by one of GAF's most amazing members, for the sole purpose of creating meaningful and intelligent discussion.

You'd never see a thead like this on GameFAQ's.

Come on, man.

I like how each one of your posts is more saltier than the last

They've definitely said some hilarious and downright stupid things in the past, but they've also provided me with a shit ton of entertainment, so for me it's water under the bridge.

Wow, the Sony haters have been out in full force this last week.

At least it makes for hilarious topics like this one.

Wait, someone ACTUALLY said this?

Haha.

B-b-but this thread was created to incite meaningful discussion!

Well, that changes everything!

It's true. I'm a little lightheaded from laughing at this thread.

I think I will have a sit down.

Yep, no other reasons, of course.

What do you mean?

This thread was created by one of GAF's most amazing members, for the sole purpose of creating meaningful and intelligent discussion.

You'd never see a thead like this on GameFAQ's.

Come on, man.

The word you're looking for is sincere.

I'm just trying to help!

Take a second to breath, you might be just a little bit too invested in this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom