• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thurrott: MS to announce a new standard Xbox controller and maybe Xbox Elite at E3

Status
Not open for further replies.

krang

That 125 dollar controller you just bought? Oh yeah, that's outdated now.

Seems more likely that they're going to incorporate some of the stuff (features, form, build quality?) from the Elite to the standard controller.

Damn was hoping that maybe MS would have stolen some of the ideas from the DS4 like the built in head phone jack. Still wish Sony would update the DS4 aside from better thumbgrips on the sticks it could use some serious sprucing up.

They should use USB-C instead of jack

Uh... wrong thread?

No

This is in response to that "unique experiences for games that are on other platforms", "new interactions between the PC and the Xbox One", "make unique experiences between the console and the PC" bollocks

Nobody wants this shite. Who wants to stream Xbox games to their PC as opposed to playing PC versions of Xbox games?

Naked Lunch

They should add a record that and take screen shot button - near the start/select buttons.

Also they should redo the elite controller by dropping the hair trigger switches. I actually hate where those switches are positioned in the back because I hold the controller in that exact spot.

Give us the option for some different back paddles for the elite. Ones that are less sharp - and maybe even coated with that same rubber the controller is. Something more comfy.

Do those 3 - and the controller(s) will be perfect.

xhtOpgO

https://twitter.com/thurrott/status/725390633893007361

Wario64 just retweeted this. Guess that's a controller case or something?

SOR5

A new controller seems entirely unnecessary.

It aint unheard of

XboxOriginalController.jpg

But still, dont know where they could go with any more revisions

Nobody wants this shite. Who wants to stream Xbox games to their PC as opposed to playing PC versions of Xbox games?

-Somebody who wants to play the Xbone in a different room without moving the Xbone
-Somebody who wants to play the Xbone but somebody else wants to use the TV
-Somebody who wants the Xbone in the bath
-Somebody who wants to play the Xbone outside

Kezen

Banned
Of course, they reacted in two weeks because this is a usual timeframe that developing a new console takes.

I would be curious to know how long you think it takes to design and manufacture a console.

I know it's not done overnight, but neither did the PS4K.
Surely they were aware of Sony's plan and reacted to that possibly years ago.

I maintain that Sony's PS4K will release sooner so Microsoft will have no choice but to follow them not to lose face completely.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Xbox One Elite was exactly what I was expecting a revision to be called. Curious as to the specs and what it will include.

My prediction: Double the GPU power of the Xbox One, DDR4 (or faster DDR3) RAM, 64mb eSRAM, same CPU as Neo, and Elite controller in the box.

I know it's not done overnight, but neither did the PS4K.
Surely they were aware of Sony's plan and reacted to that possibly years ago.

I maintain that Sony's PS4K will release sooner so Microsoft will have no choice but to follow them not to lose face completely.

Does Sony get imaginary points for theoretically in your mind initiating development of a hardware update earlier than Microsoft? No idea what argument you're trying to make here.

Blanquito

You're on fire, Ekim.

In addition to an updated standard controller, the company is exploring new interactions between the PC and the Xbox One to further extend the capabilities already present between the two (game streaming). Seeing as Microsoft wants to make Windows 10 on the desktop and Xbox one a ‘killer combination’, they are looking to leverage the ecosystem to create unique experiences for games that are on other platforms too.

The idea is simple, even for games that are not device exclusive, make unique experiences between the console and the PC that PlayStation cannot emulate easily to help differentiate the console from its competitors.

I wonder what this means? What sort of interactions could they enable?

Xbox One Elite was exactly what I was expecting a revision to be called. Curious as to the specs and what it will include.

My prediction: Double the GPU power of the Xbox One, DDR4 (or faster DDR3) RAM, 64mb eSRAM, same CPU as Neo, and Elite controller in the box.

This would make MS a laughing stock as it would put them well behind the Neo's power.

Miles X

Huge Xbox fan but .. I dunno if I see the point in them fighting hard when their first party is in the state it's in going forward.

If they really want another shot at the console race. Release a simple Xbox One Slim this year, offer the old one at a good discount. Build a couple more AAA studios that are not gonna turn to crap/nothing but actually produce something on par with Halo/Gears/Forza and plan ahead to release a new console as early as 2018.

RedAssedApe

Banned
elite console...larger hd, updated look, and bundled with elite controller. my guess

a third standard controller revision would be weird...and kind of a waste of r&d? isn't the xbone controller already pretty good and elite controller is supposedly amazing?

Upinsmoke

I don't care for streaming between PC and Xbox, I have them both in the same room. I only got my xbox last Christmas so nothing interests me at this point, I'm happy with what I've got from a personal standpoint, might pick up the new controller so me and my son can play two player games but that's it. Rather they wait a few years till they bring out another console. Unless they do what Sony are doing.

Record button please.
Also interested in what PC can do for the X1. Port of MS strategy games collection and M/K (or steam controller) support please.

krang

Huge Xbox fan but .. I dunno if I see the point in them fighting hard when their first party is in the state it's in going forward.

If they really want another shot at the console race. Release a simple Xbox One Slim this year, offer the old one at a good discount. Build a couple more, AAA studios that are not gonna turn to crap/nothing but actually produce something on par with Halo/Gears/Forza and plan ahead to release a new console as early as 2018.

Is that not exactly what's happening?

El_Chino

If there was any E3 for iterative hardware, it would be this E3.

Sony had the Neo
Nintendo would show up mostly empty handed.
Microsoft has to show up big somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom