• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thurrott: MS to announce a new standard Xbox controller and maybe Xbox Elite at E3

Status
Not open for further replies.

onQ123

All I have to say is that if MS try to come out with a new Elite Xbox One that's basically still the Xbox One but with a bigger harddrive , new elite controller & other small extras for $399 or more & Sony has the PS4 Neo with 3X the GPU power for the same price they are going to look bad.

Jay Seven

Banned
Record button please.
Also interested in what PC can do for the X1. Port of MS strategy games collection and M/K support please.
Please no. Don't waste a button on something like that. Just include a mic on the controller. "Xbox Record That" is a much better method than a button. And would be useful for so much more like pausing videos, navigating the console etc

Daft Punk

Banned
It's time to bring back the true GOAT controller.

2512394-2438445062-dukec.jpg

The Duke!

Weird, the X1 controller is pretty great. Can't think of anything big that needs fixing, and with the amount they allegedly spent on the current controller you'd think they'd leave well enough alone.

On the other hand it'd be great if Sony made a new controller for Neo. Get rid of that useless battery-sapping light and up the build quality a bit. Scrap the rubbery sticks for something more like the X1 sticks.

Not necessarily. While granted, I am expecting a more powerful XB1, Microsoft did use the Elite name for their 360 refresh (same specs, new SKU).
Microsoft have used the elite name already for the Xbox One. They just gonna refresh it. I believe the current model didnt do so hot so they about to really make an ELITE Xbox one

RedAssedApe

Banned
Weird, the X1 controller is pretty great. Can't think of anything big that needs fixing, and with the amount the allegedly spend on the current controller you'd think they'd leave well enough alone.

On the other hand it'd be great if Sony made a new controller for Neo. Get rid of that useless battery-sapping light and up the build quality a bit. Scrap the rubbery sticks for something more like the X1 sticks.

the light is needed for psvr. its not going away. also i'm pretty sure its been debunked that it actually noticeable affects battery life.

Would you say no to a more powerful Xbox One console with backward and forward compatibility ?

I'm sure it's coming 2017 in reaction to Sony's PS4 Neo.

I would actually, for now anyway.

Personally, I just think a new console this year is just a bit too soon. I want to play Sea of Thieves, Recore, Scalebound, Gears 4, Cuphead and the rest on the console I have already have.

Jumeira

Banned
This will be like the third revision for the controller. What they really need to do is rip off the share button from the DS4.
It's just a button, how it functions is down to software. And no.

X1 controller is the best controller around, I see this move as MS trying to keep up that trend. Elite is untouchable.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Personally, I just think a new console this year is just a bit too soon. I want to play Sea of Thieves, Recore, Scalebound, Gears 4, Cuphead and the rest on the console I have already have.
As long as their approach is similar to Sony's, you'll be able to.

Kezen

Banned

You would also be able to play those games on an hypothetical Xbox One v2, with better resolution/framerate.

I can't imagine Microsoft not following Sony on the iterative console business, there is just way too much money to be made.
I can see the PS4 Neo retailing for 400$MSRP, the current Xbox One will be a terrible value proposition unless MS drops the price of the Xbox One even further.

You would also be able to play those games on an hypothetical Xbox One v2, with better resolution/framerate.

I can't imagine Microsoft not following Sony on the iterative console business, there is just way too much money to be made.
I can see the PS4 Neo retailing for 400$MSRP, the current Xbox One will be a terrible value proposition unless MS drops the price of the Xbox One even further.

As long as their approach is similar to Sony's, you'll be able to.

Yeah but I don't want to feel like I need to pay £350 to play a 'better' game. I've been looking forward to playing those games since I bought my Xbox and a new console is just a curveball too far. Just my own opinion though, obviously.

Swass

Maybe the new version of the controller is going to get a built in Microphone so you can do voice commands without Kinect and interact with Cortana.

The Flash

Banned
It's just a button, how it functions is down to software. And no.

X1 controller is the best controller around, I see this move as MS trying to keep up that trend. Elite is untouchable.

Alright looky here friend. I have the Elite controller, in fact I made the OT for it. I like it a lot. I would like it even more if it had a dedicated button for taking screenshots/videos and sharing them on the web.

mejin

All I have to say is that if MS try to come out with a new Elite Xbox One that's basically still the Xbox One but with a bigger harddrive , new elite controller & other small extras for $399 or more & Sony has the PS4 Neo with 3X the GPU power for the same price they are going to look bad.

Question is: when does Microsoft look good this gen? Too many promises, too many spins.

MaulerX

I know it's not done overnight, but neither did the PS4K.
Surely they were aware of Sony's plan and reacted to that possibly years ago.

I maintain that Sony's PS4K will release sooner so Microsoft will have no choice but to follow them not to lose face completely.

Lol. How do you know that?

Somnid

I don't see what a 3rd controller would bring. I mean I do, but why now? Why after the elite? Is it just a less premium elite?

SOR5

Maybe the new version of the controller is going to get a built in Microphone so you can do voice commands without Kinect and interact with Cortana.

They made a crap call in Halo 5 by
making her the main antagonist, people want more Her and less HAL

Jumeira

Banned
Alright looky here friend. I have the Elite controller, in fact I made the OT for it. I like it a lot. I would like it even more if it had a dedicated button for taking screenshots/videos and sharing them on the web.
MS should allow their controller mapping software to allow this. More than enough buttons to use.

For screenshots and videos, get the chatpad. X1/X2 buttons are customisable to that if you want. Going straight to a sharing to web screen is an OS feature they would need to do? Although clips you make might upload to your activity feed automatically

Kezen

Banned
Yeah but I don't want to feel like I need to pay £350 to play a 'better' game. I've been looking forward to playing those games since I bought my Xbox and a new console is just a curveball too far. Just my own opinion though, obviously.

Fair enough but you will have to get used to console revisions (hardware revisions let's be clear on that).

I don't believe for a second Sony will be alone in pursuing that model. It's the dawn of a new day for the console world.

dreamfall

I really wonder if the new controller actually changes the shoulder buttons so they are not as clicky! I would love that immensely.

Duxxy3

Hopefully the new standard controller is just the regular one in a different color and with that grippy stuff on the back.

I really wonder if the new controller actually changes the shoulder buttons so they are not as clicky! I would love that immensely.

They fixed that in the controllers which have the built in headphone jack. You can press the bumpers at any angle much like the 360 ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom