• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thurrott: MS to announce a new standard Xbox controller and maybe Xbox Elite at E3

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilkyJoe

I hope they get rid of the asymmetrical sticks. I hate that aspect of the Xbox controllers.

Chris-Rock-HUH-WTF.gif

All I have to say is that if MS try to come out with a new Elite Xbox One that's basically still the Xbox One but with a bigger harddrive , new elite controller & other small extras for $399 or more & Sony has the PS4 Neo with 3X the GPU power for the same price they are going to look bad.

This is the problem. They've been blindsided if Sony release the Neo this year. That just makes a premium (but internally the same as a standard XB1) Elite rather redundant.

If that is all they got they better hope the Neo isn't out this year.

Fair enough but you will have to get used to console revisions (hardware revisions let's be clear on that).

I don't believe for a second Sony will be alone in pursuing that model. It's the dawn of a new day for the console world.

That's fine and I get that but the fact that PS4K games are going to be ready for this Fall and we don't even know what the machine actually is yet, just seems wrong to me (if the rumours are true of course).

As long as any of the Big 3 lays out their roadmap on what the future looks like and when we can expect these iterative consoles then I'll be happy to hop on the hype train at that point :)

Wouldn't be surprised if it's a slight revision with another color offering. Can't see anything too crazy.

I'm more interested to see if there will be updates to Elite controller. Can't go back to the original now that I've used the Elite for so long.

I hope they get rid of the asymmetrical sticks. I hate that aspect of the Xbox controllers.

Guys, this is an obvious troll.
Right? Right?

Kezen

Banned
This is the problem. They've been blindsided if Sony release the Neo this year. That just makes a premium (but internally the same as a standard XB1) Elite rather redundant.

That is true. Hence my steadfast belief that they must have a new, more powerful Xbox One in the pipe.

Considering the massive gap between the Xbox One and the PS4 in terms of sales and mindshare Microsoft would be beyond stupid not to react to a machine which is going to make their proposition all the more questionable.

ViciousDS

Banned
Damn was hoping that maybe MS would have stolen some of the ideas from the DS4 like the built in head phone jack. Still wish Sony would update the DS4 aside from better thumbgrips on the sticks it could use some serious sprucing up.

it already does......but that controller dead zone needs to be a lot tighter like the DS4's and it would be fucking perfect

I thought a new controller might be introduced at E3! I wonder what its new features/refinements might be. Like others already mentioned, I would love a dedicated "Share" button - the chatpad isn't an ergonomic solution imo. Most of all, I hope the quality assurance is up on these new controllers over the 3.5 redesign (you can see me complaining about the responsiveness of d-pads, among other issues, in many threads).

The Flash

Banned
MS should allow their controller mapping software to allow this. More than enough buttons to use.

For screenshots and videos, get the chatpad. X1/X2 buttons are customisable to that if you want. Going straight to a sharing to web screen is an OS feature they would need to do? Although clips you make might upload to your activity feed automatically

Let me say it again. I would like a dedicated button. I would like to not have to map a button for that functionality. I would like to not spend an additional $35 on an accessory for that functionality.

If it doesn't happen then so be it. But if it does then I'll be pretty stoked.

onQ123

Yeah think Sony has blindsided just about everyone with this move even Nintendo.

Akai__

But we already have a Xbox Elite bundle. It comes with a 1TB SSHD Xbox One and the Elite Controller.

New Controller also doesn't sound too hot. If it doesn't come with new Buttons, then it's pretty much worthless for me.

Stanng243

Wouldn't be surprised if it's a slight revision with another color offering. Can't see anything too crazy.

I'm more interested to see if there will be updates to Elite controller. Can't go back to the original now that I've used the Elite for so long.

Guys, this is an obvious troll.
Right? Right?

Nope. It's one of the reasons I barely use my 360. The offset sticks bother me. I got the 360 when my friends introduced me to Gears of War 3. I'm waiting for a slimmer Xbox one with hopefully a better controller for when Gears 4 comes out.

Let me say it again. I would like a dedicated button. I would like to not have to map a button for that functionality. I would like to not spend an additional $35 on an accessory for that functionality.

If it doesn't happen then so be it. But if it does then I'll be pretty stoked.

Agreed.

KingV

Yeah with a built in Mic array.

That would be awesome. Part of the reason I think Kinect voice controls are poor is because they are sitting next to a blaring tv. If Xbox Pause or volume up/down worked consistently I would love it.

Duxxy3

Nope. It's one of the reasons I barely use my 360. The offset sticks bother me. I got the 360 when my friends introduced me to Gears of War 3. I'm waiting for a slimmer Xbox one with hopefully a better controller for when Gears 4 comes out.

They do make adapters for Dualshock to XB1 ya know. AFAIK there's no timeout issue or firmware issue either.

I can go back and forth between a Dualshock and XB controller, but favor the XB controller for most genre's.

Compsiox

Banned
Definitely going to be a hardware upgrade. No slim was hinted at and we already got 1TB drives in basic consoles.

This will be like the third revision for the controller. What they really need to do is rip off the share button from the DS4.

And they already have that useless button on the left that has no function 99% of the time. I'm not sure why the sharing stuff doesn't get mapped to that instead of the double click of the guide button.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Changing the console colors won't help console sales. The damage of the online DRM has been done. Even if it's years late, most folks that have already bought a PS4 aren't going to jump ship and the current offerings on X-box just isn't enough to get PS4-only/PC-only folks to jump ship.

MaulerX

Sony plans on releasing the Neo this fall or Q1 2017 so they must be ahead.

They might be ahead in releasing the .5 model but for all we know MS might be ahead in the full blown model. That's why that argument doesn't make sense. Different priorities. We just don't know for sure what's going on.

TalonJH

Phil talked about the iterative hardware model that MS will most probably transition to before the PS4K was leaked.

A new Xbox device seems like a safe bet. Sony forced their hands, Microsoft are followers.

This one is for you and anybody that thinks like you.
Here's Phil before there were even whispers about an updated ps4;

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1192339

So,they were the first ones to publicly talk about moving away from having traditional console releases,and his comments suggested they were thinking about this for a long time,but they are followers now?

To be fair, that was only weeks before the leaks. They didn't make that huge of a strategy change/R&D in a couple weeks.

That being said, It's totally possible MS had the idea first. In the end, when talking about technology, who cares who did it first? It's better to do it right. I plan to buy both.

Shin-Ra

I think they'll remove the rumble triggers to make it cheaper and add a SHARE button.

Embedded LEDs so it can be picked up more accurately by Oculus cameras, in preparation for Oculus on Xbox One Deluxe compatibility.
Early Rift adopters SOL, or sent one for free.
It'd be funny if they put tracking LEDs back in.

A new Xbox device seems like a safe bet. Sony forced their hands, Microsoft are followers.

So,they were the first ones to publicly talk about moving away from having traditional console releases,and his comments suggested they were thinking about this for a long time,but they are followers now?

etta

my hard graphic balls
Alright looky here friend. I have the Elite controller, in fact I made the OT for it. I like it a lot. I would like it even more if it had a dedicated button for taking screenshots/videos and sharing them on the web.
I concur.

Will the new standard controller not suffer from random disconnects? Or do I need a new Xbox too?

If anything has clipped my Xbox's wings, its that.

Sweep14

Sorry but... http://www.latinone.com/articles/26...elease-upgraded-console-with-better-specs.htm

Article from october 2015

jelly

That's a bad place to put it.

Why?

Your phone, computer, Amazon Fire TV remote, Apple TV remote are all close proximity to the person in control when using voice. Could just be an option, have one in a media remote and one in a camera/mic accessory for Skype or whatever.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They might be ahead in releasing the .5 model but for all we know MS might be ahead in the full blown model. That's why that argument doesn't make sense. Different priorities. We just don't know for sure what's going on.

And how much do you think this thing will cost in 2016 with what we know of available tech out there?

To be full blown, it would have to pretty handily be ahead of the PS4K spec wise... at $399, it surely will not be. Not in the newly ran MSFT from the CEO down.

Phil talked about the iterative hardware model that MS will most probably transition to before the PS4K was leaked.

And one of Sony's console designers in Japan, mentioned it last year in what was said to be a 'hypothetical response' to questioning.

This has been in the cards for both companies since switching to x86/64 APU. Do not kid yourselves with who did what first warz.

As someone who bought the Elite controller, I'll be bummed if the standard controller had features that the Elite does not. I expect more Elite features making their way to the standard, like the grips.

Sony plans on releasing the Neo this fall or Q1 2017 so they must be ahead.

I'd love to know where you're getting all your information about release window and the initial planning for this new Playstation. Sounds like you've confirmed a lot of the rumors going around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom