• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time : The Best RPG of 2015 Is Only Available on the Wii U

That is never on the same level as having a mic for communication. This just reads like bad damage control.

This is cringeworthy. You need to do a little bit of reading and find out what the word actually means. After you do that, maybe play some online games with friends competitively and see how important mics are. And finally not resort to people being angry or upset whenever they disagree with you on something, since it makes you sound like a little child.

And your rants make you sound like one.

It's still the best multiplayer game of the year, mics or not.

Ozium

That is literally exchanging grinding mobs for random drops for grinding for tickets.

Seriously, I know games like this draw haters out the woodwork and therefore causes some to ride or die for it, but....why? Accurately describing the game isn't an insult. What some might call "grindy" others may call "Holy shit this game has nearly infinite playablity and boy, I'm sure getting my money's worth."

eh, I really don't think earning reward tickets is grindy, and I even said it wasn't grinding.. so I guess we disagree.. but it's literally like the game just gives you tickets for other peoples work while you are playing the game, you don't need to actively hunt down squad quest monsters, if the people you are playing with kill them, you still get tickets. if you are out running around and see a monster with an S above their name you can kill it to get tickets and help the squad.. these can be level 4 enemies, it doesn't matter and they take a second to kill..

walking around while doing other quests and seeing an enemy marked for a squad mission and killing it (or not) is not grinding to me.. hell you can leave the game running and go make something to eat and come back and you might get reward tickets for absolutely nothing. how is that a grind?

the other day I was doing an affinity mission and when it was over I had 225 reward tickets and did absolutely nothing towards getting them, let alone "grinding"

Any other option. I don't have a problem with Splatoon winning Shooter of the year, but I do have a problem with it winning Multiplayer game of the year. I don't even know if it should be nominated for the award considering they didn't include such a basic option for one of the dumbest reasons I've ever heard from a developer. That award was laughable.
Any other "option" ? You must be clowning..

If this whole thing is based on mic support the award was given with mics not even mattering. Any other option is playable without mics. Splatoon won and it didnt even have mic support. Do you understand that having mics dont mean shit now?

"The Best" is, by its very definition, an objective assertion. It is a word concerned with standing and it means "better than all others in quality or value" (Merriam-Webster.)

"My Favourite", in contrast, is an expression of subjective preference, and it means "likes more than the others" (Merriam-Webster). Unlike the former, it implies that the writer understands the subjectivity of their feelings, & that they accept the limits of their own taste.

I felt sad for your English teachers when several of you suggested that to be subjective one must preface "every other sentence" and "every statement" with "I think" or "in my opinion". :(
I guess all those sites that had a Game of the Year award need to go back to elementary school since they're declaring one game the best of the year.
it's just arguing semantics and it seems a bit silly. You know what they mean

CrisKre

This game is to Xenoblade Chronicles what Majoras Mask was to Ocarina of Time.

The change of focus takes some adjusting, throws some people off until it clicks and may even exclude others all together, but to many the result is something trully special that feels different enough while aptly familiar.

Also, just like MM, it requires more player investment to trully grasp its scope.

I for one agree. A game like this is more than the sum of its parts, and XCX is an RPG event.

It's just arguing semantics and it seems a bit silly.

James, there is nothing 'silly' or merely 'semantic' about the concrete difference between subjective and objective language.

When discussing ones favourite things, subjective language is simply the correct grammar.

Paid writers like Matt Peckham are improperly using objective grammar in a subjective context. It's what gives these articles their inherently argumentative, didactic & sensational tone.

Don't you think our hobby deserves better ?

Eh, considering in enemies you would try to avoid at low level, it takes about that long to run across a continent. But they're mostly as the bird flies, since there's no roads and such

X is really, really, ~really~ big.

the whole world map can be ran across in 30 minutes in xenoblade

http://kotaku.com/it-takes-31-minut...minutes-to-run-across-xenoblade-xs-open-world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0Xcqh_apAA

obviously x is much faster, but, there not that much bigger then each other, if at all. the part about the directer saying X being 5x bigger then xenoblade was a mistranslation he never really said it's 5 times bigger, he gave an example if the dolls are 5 times bigger than a human the map also has to be 5 times bigger to get the same feeling. All he said was it would be bigger than that.

4Tran

"The Best" is, by its very definition, an objective assertion. It is a word concerned with standing and it means "better than all others in quality or value" (Merriam-Webster.)

"My Favourite", in contrast, is an expression of subjective preference, and it means "likes more than the others" (Merriam-Webster). Unlike the former, it implies that the writer understands the subjectivity of their feelings, & that they accept the limits of their own taste.

I felt sad for your English teachers when several of you suggested that, to be subjective, one must preface "every other sentence" and "every statement" with "I think" or "in my opinion". :(
Technically there is a difference between the two, but the distinction between them is pretty clear in the article. You're not going to see the phrases "I think" or "in my opinion" all that often in a review, and that's the way it should be because it's clunky and it weakens the article as a whole. And I say this as neither a fan of the review or of the game itself.

seriously.

Smash
Kart
Bayonetta 2
Wonderful 101
Mario 3D World
NSMBU/Luigi
Lego City
Splatoon
Yoshi World
DKC Tropical Freeze
Xenoblade X
Captain Todd
Kirby Rainbow
Runbow
Nintendo Land
Mario Maker
Windwaker HD
Game & Wario
Pikmin 3
Pushmo 3

I don't get people who pull the "I'm not gonna drop $250 for one game" card.
The thing with lists like this is that it reiterates how little interest I have in Wii U games. It really feels like Nintendo doesn't want my business.

zakujanai

Xenoblade Chronicles is one of my favourite games of all time. I'm 26 hours into this and I'm pretty much done. Can't be bothered running for my life around Noctilum trying to satisfy the requirement for chapter 6. I've rarely had this little fun in a game.

For now I'll be focusing on Yakuza 5, then Trails of Cold Steel will be out so I can't see anything tempting me back. I had at least hoped to have a go in a SKELL though.

Oh and TitS SC is clearly the best RPG this year.

KevinCow

Banned
the whole world map can be ran across in 30 minutes in xenoblade

http://kotaku.com/it-takes-31-minut...minutes-to-run-across-xenoblade-xs-open-world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0Xcqh_apAA

obviously x is much faster, but, there not that much bigger then each other, if at all. the part about the directer saying X being 5x bigger then xenoblade was a mistranslation he never really said it's 5 times bigger, he gave an example if the dolls are 5 times bigger than a human the map also has to be 5 times bigger to get the same feeling. All he said was it would be bigger than that.

Why are you so offended by the idea that XCX might have an impressively large open world?

Why are you so offended by the idea that XCX might have an impressively large open world?

Not offended but people are believing a fanboy report by nintendo world report, when the world size is being way over exaggerated. kotuka ran across ran across the whole map world in 30 minutes. mean while, nintendo world report said it took them 30 minute with a skell to run across mira as fast as they could. its a big open world game, but i really don't find it impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qfhg2FJgx8

AniHawk

realized i was about 45 hours into it so far. i'm really digging the exploration. feels like a weird open world platformer in that i can sort of cheat around the level design a bit.

like xenoblade chronicles, there's a looooot of stuff in here. it takes a good time getting used to. i'm still discovering some game systems stuff i missed out on. it's been a good ride, and my favorite rpg of 2015.
the only other rpg i played this year was panzer dragoon saga and that was literally the best game ever made

The thing with lists like this is that it reiterates how little interest I have in Wii U games. It really feels like Nintendo doesn't want my business.

While I disagree with you personally, your point is very valid. That list is pretty much all Nintendo games, it has a target audience and they absolutely adore their games but if you don't like Smash Bros/Mario Kart/3D World then you're pretty much not going to like any of those games.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Not offended but people are believing a fanboy report by nintendo world report, when the world size is being way over exaggerated. kotuka ran across ran across the whole map world in 30 minutes. mean while, nintendo world report said it took them 30 minute with a skell to cross one continent as fast as they could. its a big open world game, but i really don't find it impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qfhg2FJgx8
Iirc it was Takahashi himself that said it was 400^m or what have you and people compared the numbers and found out its bigger than these games

Ekai

seriously.

Smash
Kart
Bayonetta 2
Wonderful 101
Mario 3D World
NSMBU/Luigi
Lego City
Splatoon
Yoshi World
DKC Tropical Freeze
Xenoblade X
Captain Todd
Kirby Rainbow
Runbow
Nintendo Land
Mario Maker
Windwaker HD
Game & Wario
Pikmin 3
Pushmo 3

I don't get people who pull the "I'm not gonna drop $250 for one game" card.

There's even more that I would add to that list, honestly. Like Hyrule Warriors, Fatal Frame, Rodea (the wii version that shipped only with the wii u first edition copies) to name a few.

Iirc it was Takahashi himself that said it was 400^m or what have you and people compared the numbers and found out its bigger than these games

sorry i have hard time believing that, developer pull shit out of there ass all the time. if kotuka can run across the whole world map in 30 minutes with out even using a skill, there is no way its bigger then witcher 3, skyrim, and fall out 4 combined. that kotuka speed run works in xeneoblade favor as well cause of how the world is shaped.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
sorry i have hard time believing that, developer pull shit out of there ass all the time. if kotuka can run across the whole world map in 30 minutes with out even using a skill, there is no way its bigger then witcher 3, skyrim, and fall out 4 combined. that kotuka speed run works in xeneoblade favor as well cause of how the world is shaped.

It's not necessarily hard to make a open world thats bigger than the regular, WOW I believe is bigger than those games aswell.
I much rather take the actual developer's word of what he thinks the size of his game is, which he never compared it to anything, just said how big it is, then you, of all people.

You're not going to see the phrases "I think" or "in my opinion" all that often in a review, and that's the way it should be because it's clunky and it weakens the article as a whole.

So one cannot write subjectively without being 'clunky' or 'weakening' ones prose ?

4tran, a video game review is an opinion piece, and a good writer eloquently writes it as such.

It's not necessarily hard to make a open world thats bigger than the regular, WOW I believe is bigger than those games aswell.
I much rather take the actual developer's word of what he thinks the size of his game is, which he never compared it to anything, just said how big it is, then you, of all people.

You don't have to take my word, just look at the videos and compare, look at the way the world is shaped, most games have a more rounded shape when compared to x, it's perfect to run across and see how big the world actually is. now I'm not sure which worlds are bigger, until somebody does a actual measurement or real comparison.

just for a comparison just cause 3 which is 400 square miles, with the player a missing huge chunks of the world took somebody 9 hours to walk across

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuV0IcOdPRo

KevinCow

Banned

You don't understand. The developer of the game was lying because he's a stupid fanboy! You should trust ninjablade instead, as he's completely unbiased about everything regarding Nintendo games.

Denton

Xenoblade X is on the list of Tom Chick's most disappointing games of 2015, which surprised me since he was a huge Xenoblade fan. This is what he writes:

Xenoblade Chronicles, an RPG you should not miss, told a thrilling story, using memorable and well written characters with interesting relationships, in a world that was literally the incarnation of its own theme.
Xenoblade Chronicles X has none of that, choosing instead to focus on open-world MMOing. I’m all for the gameplay-first approach, but not if it means you marginalize your skill at storytelling.

4Tran

So one cannot write subjectively without being 'clunky' or 'weakening' ones prose ?

4tran, a video game review is an opinion piece, and a good writer eloquently writes it as such.
A good reviewer can couch his opinion in unequivocal terms without using any weak sounding language while simultaneously letting the reader know that it's the reviewer's opinion. Go read a bunch of Roger Ebert's reviews and you can see this in action.

Xenoblade can't be the best in a year with Pillars of Eternity and Age of Decadence.
I've heard good things about Shadowrun Hong Kong and Underrail as well. An RPG has to do a lot of things, but all the impressions indicate that Xenoblade X only pulls off a couple of them well.

You don't understand. The developer of the game was lying because he's a stupid fanboy! You should trust ninjablade instead, as he's completely unbiased about everything regarding Nintendo games.

developers lie all the time, or over exaggerate things, its pretty common. just cause 3 is 400 square miles, it takes the player in video 9 hours to walk across.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuV0IcOdPRo

now if you watch the video, it took the guy who walk across world 9 hours to complete, with him missing huge chunks of the world, xenoblade x has a huge advantage , cause of the way the map is shaped. kotaku only took 30 minutes, sure it was a speed run with out a skill. i would say it would take xenoblade at most 3 hours walking.

purdobol

Is there a way to turn off battle voices in XCX? It was a major annoyance in Chronicles for me. Still need to finish it before playing this one.

sörine

Banned
I'm not sure about TIME or Takahashi, but there's certainly a very clear fanboy agenda and pattern of behavior being pushed in here. And most XBX threads it seems like unfortunately.

Xenoblade X is on the list of Tom Chick's most disappointing games of 2015, which surprised me since he was a huge Xenoblade fan. This is what he writes:

I don't know what his view on MGS5 but a lot of people ignore that game's pacing and poor writing with MB plagued with Microstransaction with a meaningless open world while Xenoblade X is just opposite (Including Writing). Talk about double standards.

tuxfool

Banned
I don't know what his view on MGS5 but a lot of people ignore that game's pacing and poor writing with MB plagued with Microstransaction with a meaningless open world while Xenoblade X is just opposite (Including Writing). Talk about double standards.

I'm certainly not ignoring it. It has made MGSV tumble down my list. I've seen plenty of other people express the same sentiment. I'm also a Xenoblade fan and I haven't played this new one but from what I've seen this new one definitely tilts in the directions I least liked about the first game.

This review seems to express the same sentiments:

https://killscreen.com/articles/the-pointless-scale-of-xenoblade-chronicles-x/

Rodin

This game is to Xenoblade Chronicles what Majoras Mask was to Ocarina of Time.

The change of focus takes some adjusting, throws some people off until it clicks and may even exclude others all together, but to many the result is something trully special that feels different enough while aptly familiar.

Also, just like MM, it requires more player investment to trully grasp its scope.

I for one agree. A game like this is more than the sum of its parts, and XCX is an RPG event.
Great analogy and great post.
Yep, 400km2.

Also i love the argument "it *only* (like if it's a short amount of time) takes 30 minutes flying on a skell as fast as you can to traverse the planet". Why don't you try running (without sprinting, only moving the stick) at the same speed as the characters in the TES/Fallout games to see how long does it take to traverse the world.

GTA V is 1/5 the size of this game, people should get over it. It's not like this statistic is that important anyway.

Xenoblade can't be the best in a year with Pillars of Eternity and Age of Decadence.
Pillars of Eternity is one of the worst and most boring games i've ever touched. Opinions opinions...

Tesser

Also i love the argument "it *only* (like if it's a short amount of time) takes 30 minutes flying on a skell as fast as you could to traverse the planet". Why don't you try running (without sprinting, only moving the stick) at the same speed as the characters in TES/Fallout games to see how long does it take to traverse the world.

GTA V is 1/4 the size of this game, people should get over it. It's not like this is a vital statistic anyway.

I once would get annoyed at these types of arguments - that somehow size, or a lack of, undermines the quality to a game and that the bigger a World map, the higher probability it has to be a better game. Now I just nod my head and accept the fact some people on the web think this is a credible talking point. The notion of 'opinions' aside.

Are we still under the allusion that bigger = better? I'd wager a lot of people criticized MGSV because its open World constituted for little in the wider scope of the game's plot and gameplay. It doesn't matter how big you make a World; it's what you put in it that makes it shine.

Rodin

I once would get annoyed at these types of arguments - that somehow size, or a lack of, undermines the quality to a game and that the bigger a World map, the higher probability it has to be a better game. Now I just nod my head and accept the fact some people on the web think this is a credible talking point. The notion of 'opinions' aside.

Are we still under the allusion that bigger = better? I'd wager a lot of people criticized MGSV because its open World constituted for little in the wider scope of the game's plot and gameplay. It doesn't matter how big you make a World; it's what you put in it that makes it shine.
Exactly. A big world helps the sense of exploration and adventure but you don't need the size of just cause to achieve that. Morrowind was giant enough for me to lose myself into it for like 1000 hours, and that game is around 25km2. Oblivion was twice as big and it never felt quite as interesting. MGSV open world was there just because open world is the new buzzword and that type of game sells now, but it never felt like they even tried to use this formula to evolve the series, resulting in a big cons for many people. MGS3 shits on it because it's a much more balanced and well designed game, even with (or thanks to?) his small, dense areas.

That being said, Xenoblade X's size is on the other hand necessary to achieve a few key points of the experience that the game wants to propose, and it's handled perfectly.

so passionate
Lmao

The one thing Xenoblade does better than any game ever (imo) is scale... You feel absolutely tiny, the worlds feel absolutely gigantic. Nothing feels representative or like it needs imagination to fill in the blanks. It's crazy how immersive that makes the game feel.

I'm usually good at admitting that I am forcing myself to come back to a game to see it through. I happy I do it, I see a complete story and there are worthwhile moments that I wouldn't have seen otherwise. Hell, Xenoblade Chronicles might be my best example. But X feels naturally fun despite what most people would see as obvious negatives.

Xenoblade X has so far not felt like work. I spend 30 minutes bumbling around trying to understand how to comeplete an objective, and I ain't even mad. I grind in the early game just because I want to fight more. Witcher 3 would have guided me through 3 questlines in the same amount of time. I actually loved Witcher 1 because I felt I was understanding advanced systems rather than just adding another point to my level up screen. Morrowind was also a peak in it's series.

I can understand how someone could pick apart this game, but it gets something intangible right. Its movement is fun, it has an actual sense of achievement, and it's a world you want to explore. It's nice to have large games not afraid to let you figure it out yourself.

tuxfool

Banned
Grind is such a bizarre topic on GAF. Like the act of RPG battles in itself seems to count as grinding to a lot of people here.

You should all be forced to play NES RPGs and 80's dungeon crawlers for the next year if you use that word towards 90% of RPGs today.

What was once acceptable no longer is today. I definitely see less prevalence of the word grind, fewer people say it in fewer instances.

syoaran

As someone who has played through Witcher 3, Bloodborne, Xenoblade X, and Fallout 4, I find myself agreeing with TIME here.

Agreed. Xenoblade X is currently sitting at 88hrs and I'm not even close to being bored with the game. The world and the characters in it have pulled me in, and NLA has become more of a home base to me than any other game to date. The impact you have though non-critical missions is amazing. Scale is amazing, and combat is fun and interesting.

It's also a game that is still tense to traverse even after this amount of time committed to it. In Witcher 3, even in the hardest setting, the games combat was just clinical at later stages. You'd become so powerful that there wasn't really anything in the game that could challenge you. 88hrs in, flying about in our uber mechs,my team and I could get destroyed by a giant dragon at any moment.

Chaos17

Grind is such a bizarre topic on GAF. Like the act of RPG battles in itself seems to count as grinding to a lot of people here.

You should all be forced to play NES RPGs and 80's dungeon crawlers for the next year if you use that word towards 90% of RPGs today.

*shiver*
I agree with you or people should play old coreans mmorpgs ;_;
Where you get 1% exp every 2 hours...
*shiver*

Most of the people that complained about grind in XCX usually didn't do side quests or killing enough monsters on their way or switched reguraly party members so for these different reasons, those players were under level up.

Here's an example : https://www.reddit.com/r/Xenoblade_...feel_like_im_being_punished_for_exploring_or/

Personaly, I'm 5 level above the story missions and I didn't grind -.-'

James, there is nothing 'silly' or merely 'semantic' about the concrete difference between subjective and objective language.

When discussing ones favourite things, subjective language is simply the correct grammar.

Paid writers like Matt Peckham are improperly using objective grammar in a subjective context. It's what gives these articles their inherently argumentative, didactic & sensational tone.

Don't you think our hobby deserves better ?
Yeah, our hobby is the best

Top Bottom