• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall 2 Open multiplayer test dates announced (Aug 19-21, 26-28); New MP Trailer

Rocketz

I'm so happy it's 2 weekends. I'm on vacation this week until Sunday so I'm going to be limited on the first test.

Thank you Respawn. Hype levels at 100%

Spookie

As anecdote; what's making you wish you had this option? (There's no wrong answer, of course.)

Motion sickness. I get it a lot on the PC sitting close to a monitor with a low FOV. I guess there must be some more extreme cases where it affects console gamers as well. I had some serious issues playing Killzone on the playstation with it's FOV making me feel very dizzy.

SwolBro

Banned
Not in this tech test. Your list (BF1/ME/Doom/etc) is a good counterpoint though. It'll be discussed.

As anecdote; what's making you wish you had this option? (There's no wrong answer, of course.)

separate sensitivity options for hipfire and ads? please please

Can't wait to dive into this. I played the first one on PC but I didn't have any friends to join me so I'm so ready to play on PS4. On a related note, Titanfall is probably the sexiest game to GIF.

Will test.

The new 5 v 5 mode sounds intriguing. Hopefully standard attrition is included in the full game, that was what made Titanfall for me.

HelloMeow

Not in this tech test. Your list (BF1/ME/Doom/etc) is a good counterpoint though. It'll be discussed.

Usually the fov on console games is locked at a low value. It looks like you're looking through a pair of binoculars. It makes the game feel clunky and awkward.

I don't have a console anymore, this being one of the reasons. If I could set a fov I'm comfortable with, I'd be more interested in certain console exclusives.

Just having a fov slider or option is useless if it's limited to a low value. For example:
  • Overwatch has a fov option, but it only goes to 71 vertical, which is very low.
  • GTA V has a fov slider, but it doesn't say which value it has and it's limited to a really low value.

Awesome
I play at a desk so sitting so close to my display and using a narrow FoV doesn't really provide the best experience. Feels claustrophobic.

dLMN8R

I wish they would've used Frosbite instead of a modified Source Engine

I'm glad they're not. Frostbite can't get above 720p on Xbox One while the original Titanfall was higher than that yet still a rock solid 60fps.

Also, if they switched engines then they'd be wasting a shitload of time rebuilding things from scratch instead of just focusing on improving what was already an amazing game.

"Changing engines" isn't something that simply happens in days or weeks with a flip of a switch. It would mean a massive undertaking wasting months and months of time to achieve...what? A similarly-looking game that runs at a lower resolution?

Raide

I'm glad they're not. Frostbite can't get above 720p on Xbox One while the original Titanfall was higher than that yet still a rock solid 60fps.

Also, if they switched engines then they'd be wasting a shitload of time rebuilding things from scratch instead of just focusing on improving what was already an amazing game.

"Changing engines" isn't something that simply happens in days or weeks with a flip of a switch. It would mean a massive undertaking wasting months and months of time to achieve...what? A similarly-looking game that runs at a lower resolution?

Agreed but sign me the hell up for Frostbite version for Titanfall 3 on Scorpio.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

lol. No. Not even close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPBoOJ71hUM

The framerate was almost never at 60 fps and hovered from 30-60fps most of the time you spent in combat.

the resolution was also 792p which is barely an improvement over 720p and didnt help make Titanfall look next gen.

Chris1

As far as resolution goes I hope they use dynamic res to keep a rock solid 60fps. If it's dropping at 900p or 1080p it's not worth it imo. Id take drops to 720p with a rock solid 60 any day.

Speaking of frostbite, gonna be pathetic when FIFA's 720p lol.

dLMN8R

lol. No. Not even close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPBoOJ71hUM

The framerate was almost never at 60 fps and hovered from 30-60fps most of the time you spent in combat.

the resolution was also 792p which is barely an improvement over 720p and didnt help make Titanfall look next gen.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I played the game for 20-30 hours and it performed well for me and looked great.

That was months after it came out, since my first 20-30 hours of the game were on PC instead. I ended up having more fun with the console version.

Maybe they patched some performance issues and that's why I didn't notice any once I started playing the console version?

Regardless of which engine may perform better, it's still a fact that changing engines would be a massive undertaking. If they did so, Titanfall 2 would probably be a much less impressive game due to the plans they'd need to cut to fit in engine work.

this looks straight up last gen after the Battlefield 1 trailer.

at least the gameplay looks interesting.

I'd play TF over Battlefield any day. Visuals don't mean much to me

They are kind of sending this game out to die launching so close to Battlefield. Hope the "beta" creates a buzz like last time

Agreed but sign me the hell up for Frostbite version for Titanfall 3 on Scorpio.

Would the feel of the game change though? Frostbite is gorgeous but that would be my main concern

From what I saw just now on the stream, it looks like Titanfall... and thats it. I see the satisfying gun gameplay and mech battles, but nothing that makes me want to try it first day. But definitely will still keep my eyes on this game!

SwolBro

Banned
From what I saw just now on the stream, it looks like Titanfall... and thats it. I see the satisfying gun gameplay and mech battles, but nothing that makes me want to try it first day. But definitely will still keep my eyes on this game!

the stream showed you kids that don't play Titanfall play it like COD. It's so ridiculous to have these "youtubers" play a game they don't know how to play to showcase it.

The game plays so differently with people that actually know how to play smh

Lots of footage popping up on YouTube now.

A few changes I've picked up on.

- Many perks available for your Pilot
- Not all Pilots are human edit: OK, they maybe human. Just with robotic limb replacements
- Burn cards are gone
- Titan no longer counts down a timer - you have to earn every Titan

The gameplay I've seen does seem a lot slower and less chaotic.

Maybe that is more to do with the Game modes on show.

I have faith in Respawn to deliver and these tweaks will keep the game fresh.

Roll on Friday.

Chris1

the stream showed you kids that don't play Titanfall play it like COD. It's so ridiculous to have these "youtubers" play a game they don't know how to play to showcase it.

The game plays so differently with people that actually know how to play smh
I agree completely but if they played it like how Titanfall is supposed to be played, it'd be incredibly fast paced and people who's never played it before will just look at like "wtf is going on?", so it makes sense that way to play it like CoD.

If you look at Titanfall 1 trailers and gameplay vids pre release, it's nothing like how the game actually ended up being. Which is another problem because then people go into it expecting to play like CoD and beg for the garbage pilot v pilot mode, so it's a loss loss situation IMO

Fucking boring pilot only bullshit. The game better not have fucked its balance for it¡

Not touching pilot only modes outside of achievements.

Lots of footage popping up on YouTube now.

A few changes I've picked up on.

- Many perks available for your Pilot
- Not all Pilots are human
- Burn cards are gone
- Titan no longer counts down a timer - you have to earn every Titan

The gameplay I've seen does seem a lot slower and less chaotic.

Maybe that is more to do with the Game modes on show.

I have faith in Respawn to deliver and these tweaks will keep the game fresh.

Roll on Friday.

Burn cards are gone but there is a system called Amped Weapons where you change your weapon into a better version just like the amp weapon burn cards, probably a perk?

Chris1

Fucking boring pilot only bullshit. The game better not have fucked its balance for it¡

Not touching pilot only modes outside of achievements.

I hope there's no achievements for anything that can be unlocked in pilot only mode and only for in true Titanfall modes.

Burn cards are gone but there is a system called Amped Weapons where you change your weapon into a better version just like the amp weapon burn cards, probably a perk?

Something like that, yes.

I personally found Burn Cards an OK, nothing game changing though.. Being honest, I just found myself hoarding many of them and usingg the same ones. Essentially that helped reduce my Titan build time.

Rayme

Pilot v Pilot mode in TF1 was terrible.
It was a fun experiment in the first game, but coming so far after release (a few patches in?) that's all it had a chance to be. Thing are different this time, and it has it's own flow and feel from the other modes. Like any mode there'll be fans and "non-fans", of course. =)

(My biased opinion: I enjoy it a lot in our internal playtests, especially mixed between rounds of other modes.)

is it me or does stim seem longer and faster?
Lasts a bit little longer than in R1, with a smoother taper at the end. We also did a lot of work on abilities like this to make them less jarring to the movement model (long boring story about client prediction).

xviper

looks good from what i have seen from Twitch streams but there is one big problem, The map size, it feels like a Battlefield map, too big and you hardly find a a pilot to kill, will try the beta and find out if it's as good as the amazing Titanfall 1

Watching the Gamescom stream and my blood is boiling watching these noobs stay on the ground. I don't think I've seen a single wallrun on stream yet. Respawn, why did you invite these guys to show off your game again? Why aren't you showing CTF?

SwolBro

Banned
I
Lasts a bit little longer than in R1, with a smoother taper at the end. We also did a lot of work on abilities like this to make them less jarring to the movement model (long boring story about client prediction).

That jarringness made you harder to hit lol, it was a good thing. The longer stim is a shocker though, didn't think you guys would have done that. So, I'm going to assume that some of the other abilities are more powerful now than they were in R1.

Oh, and quick question: are the strafe models the same? does the female pilot still have strafe advantage?

Top Bottom