• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition - PlayStation 4 = ~60fps, Xbox One = ~30fps

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've wandered in to a shit storm/jerk off circle. Goodnight

ibbbKaTDggsQgD.gif

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
You=the world?

No idea what "consensus" you are referring to.
I was unable to vote in this year's global game of the year vote. The federal budget was cut and my country stopped participating in the official world consensus voting.
Add to that the civil wars in a few countries and this year isn't that representative anyway.

viveks86

Top 5 game of 2013 for me.

Who cares about you. All hail "the consensus"

I was unable to vote in this year's global game of the year vote. The federal budget was cut and my country stopped participating in the official world consensus voting.
Add to that the civil wars in a few countries and this year isn't that representative anyway.

So sad. Why would you live there?

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Which is funny because the consensus is that it's an average game.

Nothing like a little drama to spur interest.

What consensus?

I mean Metacritic shows the game to average an 85/100 across all platforms.

So again, what consensus?

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Square Enix must be loving all this attention to one of their published games.

It's really blown up. And weirdly, or not, it's really making Tomb Raider seem desirable atm.
I would definitely say so. I had mild interested when it was first announced, and then totally ignored it when they announced 1080p/30fps. I found that unacceptable for a game labelled "Definitive" on new hardware that on paper makes it's predecessor look like a fisher price toy.

The prospect of playing a critically acclaimed 3'rd person action game in native 1080p at 60fps makes my gaming boner rock hard. I also want to get my hands on trine2/RezoGun two other games at native 1080p/60fps.

Wasn't planning on getting a PS4 until early or late March, but with this game coming out in less than a week? I'm about 80% convinced I'm gonna go serious PS4 hunting in the very near future.

On Demand

Banned
Jesus guys. All i'm saying is that TR is not the most popular game and now it suddenly is. I have the game on PS3. It's an ok game.

Just making an observation.

I will now post less. You guys are fucking brutal. Time to buy a dog.

Finalizer

This thread:

venus-fly-trap.jpg

It's giving the EDGE Power Struggle thread a run for it's money. And I'm honestly not even sure why now; after several launch games clearly showed the results of the hardware disparity, you'd think the situation would be clearly defined by this point. I could certainly see some surprise in seeing such an FPS difference, but eh. I guess I've still had too much faith in folks by expecting them to be over with trying to downplay the apparent differences.

CLEEK

Jesus guys. All i'm saying is that TR is not the most popular game and now it suddenly is. I have the game on PS3. It's an ok game.

If you can't stand the heat, don't set yourself on fire.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her

No reason to stop posting, but his isn't your usual anything goes forum.

This forum expects things stated as factual to be backed up by data.

You use a word like "consensus" you really should be right, otherwise yeah, you'll feel heat.

Ricky_R

Don't be silly. GAF's normally on the offensive, and even more so, in a thread like this with so many suicide alt accounts spreading fud, etc.

Keep commenting as you would've before this ambush. ;)

Vizzeh

Banned

Dont worry about it. Best advice is to try and be objective. Its a thread that will likely attract people who are interested in that game, the general rule of thumb is that if you are not that interested in the thread and nothing overly constructive to say best not posting, otherwise you will likely get pounced on, or worse :p - Being a Junior also will get you a bit of extra attention.

Chin up and repeat: Water of a ducks back :)

Grief.exe

A few more thoughts:

I know Xbox One can't hit 1080/60 in this game now, but further down the road, say in 2 years or so, if they revisited the project I'm sure they could make a better attempt.
I'm very happy for PS4 owners getting to experience it at an eye candy 60fps because at the moment, it's the better system with the more mature developing tools.

Hopefully in a few years with more time and better understanding of how to use the ESRAM and other elements of the hardware, we will see similar quality on the Xbox One. That's not to say that the PS4 won't have improved by the same amount in that time; the PS4 will always look better, but I just want 1080/60 to be hit on both consoles in the (somewhat) near future.

All gamers deserve to experience at 60fps unless it's some RTS or something where it doesn't matter as much.

What are you talking about?

RTS has more actions per second than any other game you have ever played. Higher FPS matters just as much, if not more, than other competitive games.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

I don't think your initial point was correct (the consensus was that it was a good game; generally considered somewhat of a return to form of the series [high reviews, high sales relative to the series]), but people were really way too harsh on you and some of them bordered on insulting. Sorry you got a bad impression of the community, that's not how we hope discussions unfold here.

Unfortunately your observation was incorrect. Regardless of your personal opinion of TR - it was a high profile release with plenty of GAF and critic love to go around. It may not have been the greatest game ever - but it was definitely a contender the average top 5 or top 10 list.

Mahonay

Banned
Me checking back into this thread for the first time since the first hour is was posted;
im3GOZkYFj3o.gif

Flipping through, ban graveyard up in here. Mods doin' work!

I did not think this would be the game that causes the first post-next gen meltdown. But here we are. GAF never fails to deliver *eating pop corn gif*

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
People really never learn. How many times does a poster have to come in here, talk shit, get smacked down, and then rage quit because "GAF is being mean with their logic, factual data, and picking apart my poorly constructed argument." until they learn?

How many times?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So, Amazon has the "Digipack" version of the game for a little cheaper than the normal one. Can anyone tell me if the game case is just the normal one in there with that mini art book thing?

I ask because I would rather not have a odd case in the mix only a couple months after starting my PS4 game collection, its why I never got any steelbook editions etc.

velociraptor

The PS4 version runs at 60FPS? Wow, very impressive. Not surprised at the large gap however. This was a given considering how much weaker the XBO GPU is versus the PS4.

you forget that in theory the esram is faster than the gddr5. not denying that the ps4 always will have the better specs, just saying that the one can make a big leap near the ps4 performance-wise with tiled ressources :)

Actually I'm pretty sure even the ESRAM is slower than the GDDR5 of the PS4, just not nearly as much as the DDR3.

Anyway, this thread has certainly delivered.

sportz103

I don't get why people are melting down over this. I'm an XBO guy through and through, got three Day One editions and all. I knew EXACTLY what I was in for since E3, and the biggest negative part of that decision is getting the lower quality version of multiplats. I could go into why I picked it anyway, but that's off topic.

This was a great game last gen. XBO users will have a great time at 1080p/30, PS4 users will have as great or better of a time at 1080p/60. Enjoy the game everybody!

Danny 117

What are you talking about?

RTS has more actions per second than any other game you have ever played. Higher FPS matters just as much, if not more, than other competitive games.

Yeah I actually take that back. I was thinking of turn based games and wrote RTS by mistake. Sorry about that.

I don't get why people are melting down over this. I'm an XBO guy through and through, got three Day One editions and all. I knew EXACTLY what I was in for since E3, and the biggest negative part of that decision is getting the lower quality version of multiplats. I could go into why I picked it anyway, but that's off topic.

This was a great game last gen. XBO users will have a great time at 1080p/30, PS4 users will have as great or better of a time at 1080p/60. Enjoy the game everybody!

This kind of camaraderie is frowned upon.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
30FPS will Always Deliver Better Story-Telling than 60FPS in Games – Heres Why

All the peeps of the Gaming World have been going crazy over 30 FPS and 60 FPS standards this last year. From 60fps/1080p being thought the new Next Gen standard to Ryse downgrades. But there a point many people are missing, one which i hope to shed some light on today, the point that why 30 FPS cant and shouldn’t ever be replaced with 60fps.

30fps vs 60fps – The Magic of Story Telling Lies in Lower FPS, 30 FPS will always deliver a more “Cinematic” Experience than 60FPS.

I am of course making quite a bold claim and the burden of proof lies with me. One which i am more than willing to shoulder. Let me begin by saying that the minimum limit that our brain needs to perceive moving frames as a seamless entity ( a video) is 24 Frames Per Second. This is one of the reason 99% of Movies are shot at 24 FPS. Though this was originally due to Sound Hardware limitation of Old Cinema, it has now become the Cinematic Standard. The 24 fps of the Cinema Industry is roughly equivalent to the 30 fps standard of the Gaming Industry. When you see a video shot at 24 fps / 30 fps there are holes to fill and your brain automatically does this by literally creating stuff out of your imagination : also known as movie magic. The More frames you increase, the less you brain fills in, the less the “magic”.

Proof of Concept: Hobbit 24 FPS vs 48 FPS analogy to the 30FPS vs 60FPS Gaming Standard

So, Notice how the 48FPS video looks, Sped Up, Weird and almost too Real (in a Bad Way) ? That is called the Soap Opera Effect. Because we grew up in a world where reality tv and soap operas were shot at a higher FPS our brains are now hard wired to associate mundane reality with Higher FPS. And i think you can see now what i meant by our brain filling in the gaps at lower FPS. The Original trailer looks magical and truly “Cinematic”. Of course you might be one of the minority who actually like the sped up, but in my opinion that is probably because of the Novelty Value.

30fps vs 60fps

The more Frames Per Second we increase in our Gaming Standards the less “Magical” they will feel.
I remember when playing Alan Wake (at 30fps) that it felt unbelievably like a movie to me, the sudden attacks of darkness and the way everything was moving about, i wonder if the magic would have been there with 60FPS. If i could clearly see how everything moved – probably not. Likewise in Cinema the Smokes and Mirrors fall away with increased fps – and story telling is all about the illusion. Of course some games would actually benefit from higher frames per second like Racing Games and Fighting Games (Tekken) but Games in which story telling is a main part would do better with the 30FPS Standard.

http://wccftech.com/30fps-vs-60fps-30fps-better-story-telling-games/

can you people finally drop this "60fps is better" nonsense
post-6-0-65974600-1347083704.gif

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
This kind of camaraderie is frowned upon.
How about you wait until people actually shit on that poster before invoking that people shit on such posts that acknowledge the technical differences?

It is the start of a new generation. Xbox one owners are getting a clearly superior version of a multiplatform game, so of course people are going to get excited. It'll die down over time.
There is something not quite right with that sentence but I don't know what part.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I always felt like Tomb Raider was a Playstation-centric franchise, so in a way this is a homecoming. I remember the weird exclusive dlc the 360 had for Underworld. I believe sales for this will heavily favor the PS4 version.

The chat on his stream pretty much confirms GAF would be 4chan if the mods weren't as strict as they are.

Thats fine, /v/ has bretty good taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom