• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TouchSense, a haptic technology, will be implemented in the Switch's touchscreen

No time. Conference was fast to begin with. They're going to blitz out info like crazy over the coming weeks.

A new direct next week made that obvious.

Yeah you're probably right

Fire Emblem Direct in a few days
Maybe a system direct (where they announced this), maybe a game focused direct

There's lots of info to get out

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Posts like this will probably be duplicated many, many times over the next few months. Nintendo always does this. Their announcement timing for things has always been extremely odd.
I remember when they didn't mention than the DS had a touchscreen + stylus until the very last second. This is nothing new.

Nintenleo

Sounds like the force touch/3D touch on the nee macs and IPhones.

Touchsense technology is very different. While force touch allows a system to recognise how much pressure comes from an input, Touchesense should give the user different "sensations" when you touch things on the screen. With this tech it's possible to recreate the feeling of real buttons on a screen for example.

Sounds too good to be true? I agree :D

Joqu

I remember when people were convinced the Wii U would have this. Good times

Anyway, this is REALLY cool. Really surprises me Nintendo barely talked about the Switch's screen. I get they might now have any touch software right now but it seems to be a really good screen, it's worth talking about.

Oregano

Posts like this will probably be duplicated many, many times over the next few months. Nintendo always does this. Their announcement timing for things has always been extremely odd.

Yup, I mean even look at the Street Fighter 2 thing with the 3D tease in the trailer. Why the hell aren't Nintendo and Capcom showing whatever that is!?

No time. Conference was fast to begin with. They're going to blitz out info like crazy over the coming weeks.

Agreed, we're going to be hearing about VC as well. But seriously they totally botched that presentation.

Metal-Geo

So this is like Apple Taptic Engine? Fucking awesome. Haptic Feedback in the IPhone7 is best-in-class. If this comes close it's gonna be awesome
The home button in the iPhone 7 is such a great mind-fuck. Really curious to experiencing it applied to an entire touchscreen.

Is this the technology people mentioned when we thought the controller was just going to be a touchscreen? They actually ended up using it?

This is also true. Even with an hour conference, it felt like they were rushing through points, game demos, etc.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Yeah it's weird - Nintendo never seems to like touting their tech, but the Switch is looking to be a nice piece of technology. This ain't no toy, kiddies.

MCN

Banned
So, Nintendo have decided that if gamers want tech, then they'll put all the tech they can into the device. And then not talk about it.

Vena

Next week: Nintendo has partnered with GE for the ultimate at home and on the go ice cube making. Powered by smart cloud-tech refrigerators, the Switch seemlessly brings your kitchen everywhere you go.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Are we sure this is not a confusion on digitaltrends side?

Isn't this the tech behind the HD rumble actually?

Switch sounds better and better with everything they reveal. The possibilities with this are endless. Super cool piece of tech this is turning out to be.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english

Immersion is providing the tech behind the HD rumble.
It's really about the touchsceen haptic tech. Here's the business press release: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170113005112/en/

SAN JOSE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Immersion Corp. (NASDAQ:IMMR), the leading developer and licensor of touch feedback technology, today announced that it has signed a multi-year agreement with Nintendo to allow Immersion to adapt its TouchSense® technology to the new Nintendo SwitchTM system. As part of the agreement, Nintendo receives a license to Immersion's patent portfolio.

Once it is adapted to the Nintendo Switch system, game developers will be able to use Immersion's TouchSense software suite to design games for the Nintendo Switch system. Immersion's TouchSense software will help developers provide immersive touch-based gaming controls to players around the world.

Yeah I'm curious if we're jumping the gun a bit here. Though it would explain why they didn't mention the touch screen at all (and reportedly disabled it?).

EDIT: ^Nevermind, I guess it's confirmed. I'm now 97% convinced there will be at least one more general Switch direct before launch.

There are a lot of neat control features packed into this little console.

However a part of me wonders if the cost would have been better spent on upping the power of the system?

Not very tech savvy so can't really speculate much on what they could have done.

Having said this, I'm also saving up for a fairly capable gaming PC (one day) - so power doesn't matter to me so much for this.

jts

...hate me...
Maybe the HD rumble in the Joy-Cons provide the touchscreen feedback when they’re attached to the main unit.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
We def. will have like 2-3 more Directs before the system launches in March. Fire Emblem next week, probably one more on the OS and online infrastructure ...and maybe one on Virtual Console/eShop.

Spending money on technology that can only be used in a third of your modes.

Smart stuff.

Weird complain. The screen cant be used while docked...so they shouldnt have included a touchscreen to begin with ?

Then again...if this was true Nintendo would likely have announced it - and had a game use this new Touchscreen. Weird....

Somnid

TouchSense software is designed for phones with those types of linear actuators. I imagine this covers the Joycon but the possibility exists that either the Joycon or the Switch unit itself can provide haptic feedback for the screen as well. At least the former should be possible with what we know right now.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if nintendo did it on purpose (not talk about it that is) and will, until release, give us more and more information in videos?

or they did not want to overwhelm people..I honestly don't know.

Isn't this the tech behind the HD rumble actually?

Directly from Immersion's PR statement...

TouchSense software will help developers provide immersive touch-based gaming controls to players around the world.

I don't see a way to think anything different since it says touch-based gaming controls.

Spending money on technology that can only be used in a third of your modes.

Smart stuff.

Will probably make smartphone ports easier.

I believe the reason they didn't show it is that they still needed to streamline the experience; maybe a bug or something with the software?

Top Bottom