• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TouchSense, a haptic technology, will be implemented in the Switch's touchscreen

Somnid

No, the press release specifically mentions touch controls.

Fuck me, people really go out of their way to be pessimistic.

That's because TouchSense was designed for phones and so every current application uses a touch screen device. But that's not necessarily the case for Switch which they are adapting their software to.

Joqu

Now that people are bringing it up, yeah, maybe it is the HD rumble. Some outright confirmation would be nice.

Much better, especially with the shit that the 3DS rightfully got in using resistive touchscreen.

Gotta say, I love Nintendo using as much newer/better technology as possible.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I still think they are talking about the screen, the joycons are not touch-based.

The marble balls game is precisely touch based. But is not your hand that provides the input. Touching goes both ways. Actually a human rather receives feedback than gives feedback through touching.

Papu

First time hearing of this, seems likes a lot of tech for the buck if you ask me. Games, games, games is what I need next.

orioto

Good Art™
That said that would be a little weird cause let's remember a game based on tactile screen won't really be playable with the dock. (Maybe that's not important after all..)

Thanking about it...

The screen having haptic feedback would be necessary in order to distribute the haptic feedback in undocked mode. Without it, it'd feel like there is a gap.

If it's there anyway, it seems like a waste not to expose it to touch screen events.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't most of the hands-on impressions stated that none of the games present actually use any sort of touch controls? I wonder why Nintendo is shying away from this feature (if true).

Apparently Splatoon doesn't even feature touch controls for super jumping, which is just dumb.

MCN

Banned
AHtnjit.gif

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Haven't most of the hands-on impressions stated that none of the games present actually use any sort of touch controls? I wonder why Nintendo is shying away from this feature (if true).

Probably because the first year line up is mostly console-like experiences. Once they stop pretending the 3DS has a future, we will see more portable focused games designed for tablet mode.

Ryuuga

Banned
The more I read up on it, the more it sounds like the HD Rumble mechanism. I feel like people are tripping over themselves to make it something it isn't. That said, I hope there IS more to the Switch considering the price.

jmizzal

So far we havent seen anything that uses touch screen

I think Nintendo has something to announce in the future, I still feel like the mobile games are gonna come to Switch at some point

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
That said that would be a little weird cause let's remember a game based on tactile screen won't really be playable with the dock. (Maybe that's not important after all..)

Well, they could sell an accessory with this feature that you attach the Joy-Cons to, but going by other accessory prices, it would likely be over $200.

Orbis

the company only does touch screen haptics
That's not the case actually, take a look here, Immersion TouchSense is specifically named in a Thrustmaster steering wheel:
http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/products/t100-force-feedback-racing-wheel

I think it's best not to jump to conclusions, if it is related to the screen we will probably find out soon enough. It just seems to me they made a big deal about the advanced haptic technology in the joycons so my first assumption is that it's that, I may be completely wrong though. It may well be in the screen too but I don't think it will be providing some of the more ambitious concepts like emulating texture or the 'feel' of buttons.

That's the OTHER problem. Nintendo hasn't shown us the touchscreen and what it could do lol. So this could be true and it's for the touchscreen. 😑

Apparently Splatoon doesn't even feature touch controls for super jumping, which is just dumb.

Is it confirmed that the final game won't feature that, or was it just disabled for this event? The fact that they confirmed it was a touch screen but have shown exactly zero touch screen functionality is confusing, and could mean they are going to expand on these features at a later date before launch.

Hah nice

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Press release said:
Game developers have long known that adding the sense of touch to games heightens the experience and keeps players engaged. Recent research shows that utilizing haptics technology in the gaming experience increases satisfaction and enjoyment during gameplay. With the Nintendo Switch system, game developers can now leverage the sense of touch, providing game players an incredible tactile experience that isn't currently available on any other game system.

tactile = designed to be perceived by touch.

oti

Banned
So the author just made this up himself?

TouchSense technology makes touchscreen controls come alive, giving users the sense that they are touching physical buttons.

If so that's pretty bad.

TouchSense has nothing to do with the display, it's just HD rumble

Except HD rumble is probably in the console itself.
Why?
1) It seems crazy to have tablet only mode not have haptic feedback.
2) Undocked/portable mode would require HD rumble inside of the console to facilitate mimicking long motion ranges in the haptic feedback system. Otherwise, it would appear as if things are teleporting or it silently moves in the background and feels like there's a gap.
3) It'd make smartphone ports easier.

Top Bottom