• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TouchSense, a haptic technology, will be implemented in the Switch's touchscreen

There are a lot of neat control features packed into this little console.

However a part of me wonders if the cost would have been better spent on upping the power of the system?

Not very tech savvy so can't really speculate much on what they could have done.

Having said this, I'm also saving up for a fairly capable gaming PC (one day) - so power doesn't matter to me so much for this.

It's unclear if it could even be possible to up the power of the system in the form factor they've chosen. The Shield TV even apparently throttles to the clock speeds Nintendo has chosen, so it's very possible that this is literally as powerful as a device this size could possibly be in early 2017.

This thing is is definitely worth $300 with all this tech. Shit it almost sounds like it should cost more money lol.

Like someone said I expect more Directs and info leading up to the launch.

Veitsev

There are a lot of neat control features packed into this little console.

However a part of me wonders if the cost would have been better spent on upping the power of the system?

Not very tech savvy so can't really speculate much on what they could have done.

Having said this, I'm also saving up for a fairly capable gaming PC (one day) - so power doesn't matter to me so much for this.

The issue with upping the power for this kind of device is battery life. We are already at 2.5-6.5 hours which realistically will be near 3-3.5 at best for most big 3D games.

I hope it was cheap.

The damn thing has controllers and is designed to be played as a console or a handheld. Devs can't take advantage of this feature for any game fit for console play, which will be most games.

oti

Banned
Is there anything that currently uses this tech for reference?
I don't know about this tech in particular but Apple uses some of this for their phones and watches. Gives you a "right click" sort of functionality for their UI.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
That thing is filled with magical tricks and nobody gives a shit, good job Nintendo.
Nintendo priced it $50 too much and should have included 1 2 Switch. But the blame is to put on the gamers who can't see we are about to have a phenomenal new video game system.

Love not hate, applied to video games. What's wrong with the world?

MCN

Banned
I don't see a touchscreen reference, are we sure this isn't just the HD Rumble? Lots of talk about haptics, which also covers what we see with that marble game or the ice cube demonstration.

What does "touch-based controls" suggest to you? Touchsense is specifically a touchscreen technology.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
You think by "touch-based" they mean rumble or motion controls? 🤔

That's motion control and IR so not touch-based.

When I think of touch I think on something like a screen not a motion control.

But they talk about touch based gaming, the joycons do not have touch based controls, so I still think it's about the screen.

Immersion’s TouchSense® technology enables these connections by extending the power of touch to the digital world. With haptics, users are able to feel the buttons on a mobile screen. Gamers feel the G-forces applied to a car around an S curve. And movie watchers feel the percussion of an explosion.

TouchSense is the haptic feedback, not the touch screen itself.

Yes, but what Immersion provides is what's behind the HD rumble, the advanced haptic feedback. I don't think this has to do with the touch screen. I think it's just a confusion because of the "touch" aspect.

Yeah I think this might need a bit more clarification. Touch does indeed indicate that they are talking about a touch screen but that's not explicitly stated in the PR. It would explain why the touch screen was not discussed (saving that for an introduction to this tech) but it's certainly too early to be convinced either way here.

oti

Banned
But how could they offer this kind of touch tech for their games when there are problems playing them on the TV with traditional touch already? You can't emulate something like this with buttons.

Totakeke

I'm convinced they're not done with the system unveiling yet which is why we still have people wondering if the console has an internet browser. But really they could have just said more information is coming.

Elixist

team misunderstanding for me. could just mean touch based gaming referring to the haptics in the joycons ala 1 2 switch guess the balls game. would be cool tho we'll see.

NotLiquid

They really did not cheap out on the technology of this thing.

Can someone explain to me what this does? How does it work?

You know how when you're on say, an android phone and typing, the phone gives you these incredibly subtle, pinpointed vibrations to the keys you touch that makes it feel like what you're pressing isn't just a flat screen but something more solid?

That's haptic feedback. The touch screen simulates the feeling of actually pushing something.

MCN

Banned
But how could they offer this kind of touch tech for their games when there are problems playing them on the TV with traditional touch already? You can't emulate something like this with buttons.

Maybe some games will only be playable in certain modes?

Somnid

Guys I'm pretty sure this would just be using the HD rumble of the Joycons while using the touchscreen. You'd probably get something like how the MacBook trackpad works. I doubt the main unit has it's own actuator for space/cost reasons.

Dremorak

Banned
so THATS how mario maker will work without a stylus!

Excited to see what games use this, and confused why nintendo hasnt told anyone yet lol

MCN

Banned
team misunderstanding for me. could just mean touch based gaming referring to the haptics in the joycons ala 1 2 switch guess the balls game. would be cool tho we'll see.

No, the press release specifically mentions touch controls.

Fuck me, people really go out of their way to be pessimistic.

That thing is filled with magical tricks and nobody gives a shit, good job Nintendo.

Weird right? At least if true.
This looks like some "tip of the iceberg" conference in hindsight. Funny. If I barely had games to show why wouldn't I at least walk out guns blazing with those nifty tricks to create desire for the hardware itself and give some ideas why I'm charging 329€ for it? Holy cow, market this hardware, Nintendo! This is not a bad product at all for what it really is, no matter how much reactionary bs is spilled in the forums!

Damn, there is a shitload of work to do in hopefully much more informative Nintendo Directs in the next couple weeks. In some cases, the presentation brought up more questions than answers.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

maybe you'll point with your joycon on your tv and the hd rumble will try to simulate touchsense as good as possible?

It's hilarious how we can't decide exactly what they mean. It's like Nintendo. You just don't know until they decide to finally speak on it. Lol

Guys I'm pretty sure this would just be using the HD rumble of the Joycons while using the touchscreen. You'd probably get something like how the MacBook trackpad works. I doubt the main unit has it's own actuator for space/cost reasons.

Didn't the patent application specify that the screen portion had its own rumble actuators?

Top Bottom