• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter suspends Rose McGowans account

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, why would she need to delete her own tweets? If a moderator found the tweets in violation of the TOS, why wouldn’t they just be removed by Twitter?

Well you just answered why the account is untouched. He is the President of the United States. One tweet about a company causes stocks to go down causing millions in losses. One tweet about NFL tax breaks causes Goodell to issue a memo for players to stand etc. You think twitter is going to ban him and invite what would happen next? Rose McGowan is expendable. The Preaident isn't.

I honestly even said to my friends yesterday. Weinstein everyone has found to scapegoat for Hollywood but no way was Ben Affleck and all the others going to tolerate being blamed for anything and bam, Rose is suddenly silenced. No way will WB allow Justice League and their future Batman plans be overshadowed with Ben Affleck groping Hilarie Burton or being complicit with Weinstein. It is a shitty world we live in.

It ain't just Trump though. ISIS members are on this shit.

Yeah that seems strange. Why put enforcement of the rules in the hands of the alleged offender? It's not like I can't go and view her timeline right now. If the tweets are still there, that's a strange policy for removing content that violates rules. If the tweets are somehow hidden but waiting deletion from McGowan, then what's the point? Why not just delete?

Wait, why would she need to delete her own tweets? If a moderator found the tweets in violation of the TOS, why wouldn't they just be removed by Twitter?

Seems like an obvious power play. Shame her in to removing the tweets about the all powerful media members in question so they know who did this to her.

If Twitter actually wanted to hide her allegations, this is about the worst thing they could have done.

Then again, it’s Twitter, so entirely possible.

Mindwipe

...I've never heard of that. How many tweets is too many?

Someone should test it out.

I don't think it's too many tweets, but too tweets with multiple reports from multiple users in a short space of time.

It's algorithmic, but the gamergoobers have long, long since figured out how to game it to suspend people they don't like. Because algorithmic moderation does not, and can not, ever work.

(I'm afraid I go back here to not understanding why Gaf wants Twitter to moderate more, because Twitter cannot, and will not, ever be able to do this correctly. Ever. If they attempt to do more, they will mess up more).

I've also seen some reports which I don't know if are true that Rose McGowan posted Lindsey Lohan's private mobile number and that's why it was suspended. I don't know if that's true. But I'd have a bit more sympathy for Twitter if it were true.

Gattsu25

Banned
Yeah that seems strange. Why put enforcement of the rules in the hands of the alleged offender? It's not like I can't go and view her timeline right now. If the tweets are still there, that's a strange policy for removing content that violates rules. If the tweets are somehow hidden but waiting deletion from McGowan, then what's the point? Why not just delete?
I'm assuming each of the marked tweets have an option to contest the reported reason.

Jedi2016

So this is the new rule in Hollywood now? Keep your mouth shut and your pants down and everything will be fine?

So Twitter is coming full circle, then... they let the President start a nuclear war on their service, but allow a woman to stand up for something and she must be punished.

Madness

Twitter is all for free speech, until the free speech hurts the feelings of a rich white guy.

One who is the face of a billion dollar franchise and upcoming blockbuster and overshadowing even things like Woder Woman 2. Save the hate for Weinstein now that the cat is out of the bag, but Batman right before Justice League, silence her at all costs!

So this is the new rule in Hollywood now? Keep your mouth shut and your pants down and everything will be fine?

So Twitter is coming full circle, then... they let the President start a nuclear war on their service, but allow a woman to stand up for something and she must be punished.

New rule? That's been the rule since the beginning.

I wish there was legitimately well-moderated social media. I wish there was an option for people who left Facebook for Twitter and now want to leave Twitter for... something.

NeoGAF - and specific subreddits - are the only services I use with meaningful moderation.

I've been heavily considering dropping Twitter altogether and this may be the final push. Absolutely garbage moderation.

At the very least, they do recognize they end up looking like racist/Neo-Nazi/misogynist sympathizers, right?

They'll give verified ticks to self proclaimed Nazis on twitter but will shut suspend a woman's account for talking about Weinstein/Affleck as "offensive"...

How often did we think that with similar things? Nothing will happen.

I wouldn't say nothing. This will open more than a few eyes on to the reality of gender relations and how horrible Twitter is. Not a cultural shift but it'll make a difference in some lives.

Slayven

They'll give verified ticks to self proclaimed Nazis on twitter but will shut suspend a woman's account for talking about Weinstein/Affleck as "offensive"...

DL8RqWnUQAA_cFw.jpg

Wow. Only 12 hours though? What exactly is the point of such a ban?

12 hours can be forever in a news cycle

and it was a warning shot

maxxpower

I wouldn't say nothing. This will open more than a few eyes on to the reality of gender relations and how horrible Twitter is. Not a cultural shift but it'll make a difference in some lives.

Eh, lately it seems like the the people in power are all alt-right fucks, which means nothing will actually change where it actually matters, like the workplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom