• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter suspends Rose McGowans account

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can only assume they were advised to do it by their legal team. I can't imagine they're trying to "shut down" the information - they know about the Streisand effect too - I just imagine they don't want it on their platform.

Lowmelody

Hollywood and Silicone Valley teaming up to make sure everyone knows they are a net loss for humanity, entertainment be damned.

Frodo

I can only assume they were advised to do it by their legal team. I can't imagine they're trying to "shut down" the information - they know about the Streisand effect too - I just imagine they don't want it on their platform.

I'd assume it is more about Warner Bros not wanting #BoycottJusticeLeague to gain traction. But what do I know?

There is something about that Instagram picture that seems off. The phrasing in some spots is really odd, the account violated the “Twitter Rules” and not the Twitter Terms of Service, 12 hours and 0 minutes, “You can start your countdown and continue to Twitter”, “Delete tweets that violate our rules”. And then there is no period on that delete tweets line.

It kind of reads like a scam email. Did she say if that was put on her Twitter or if she got an email about it?

Gattsu25

Banned
There is something about that Instagram picture that seems off. The phrasing in some spots is really odd, the account violated the “Twitter Rules” and not the Twitter Terms of Service, 12 hours and 0 minutes, “You can start your countdown and continue to Twitter”, “Delete tweets that violate our rules”. And then there is no period on that delete tweets line.

It kind of reads like a scam email. Did she say if that was put on her Twitter or if she got an email about it?
http://www.adweek.com/digital/twitter-weve-temporarily-limited-some-of-your-account-features/

I get why so many people think Trump should be banned, but I think it is a little shortsighted. I mean besides the fact that he has probably incriminated himself on Twitter, it allows us to at least have an idea of what is going on in his head. I would rather that be the case, than to have no idea what he is thinking or planning. It also means where necessary, people can use it as tool to prepare themselves against any impending bullshit he pulls, before it happens.

As for Rose McGowans situation, that is pretty fucking shit though. At this rate it just makes it look like Twitter are wanting to silence people.

BiggNife

Still have no idea how Trump isn't banned from social medial.

Because the boycotts from Trump supporters would hurt Twitter's advertising income. Plus, Trump would just go to another social media network (probably that pro-alt-right frog one that Milo is on) and rant about how Twitter is fake news.

Twitter cares about money more than anything else.

NH Apache

Banned

I just looked and there are similar images with same wording out there. It appears to be the standard message, similar to the ban for abusive behavior.

AJLma

MSNBC reported this morning that it was an automatic suspension based on too many tweets in rapid succession. Could be corporate bullshit though.

Liars. These news organizations are like the PR babysitters for Hollywood, the NFL, NBA, and any of these other organizations that need to leech off a mass audience for their revenue. If there's a mess, they're always frontlines to clean it up and change the narrative.

https://twitter.com/TwitterSafety/status/918502629679939584

We have been in touch with Ms. McGowan's team. We want to explain that her account was temporarily locked because one of her Tweets included a private phone number, which violates our Terms of Service. 1/3

The Tweet was removed and her account has been unlocked. We will be clearer about these policies and decisions in the future. 2/3

Twitter is proud to empower and support the voices on our platform, especially those that speak truth to power. We stand with the brave women and men who use Twitter to share their stories, and will work hard every day to improve our processes to protect those voices. 3/3

Twitter I'm not sure if leaving it so long and then coming out with that has really sent the right message now has it when you have a reputation of being fucking awful over abuse of your platform

This is why broke-ass Twitter can't find a buyer. Everyone knows that it is ran like a sloppy piece of shit and that's why it's userbase is going down.

TS-08

When the story is blowing up in the media and Twitter HAS to be aware of it, and still nothing gets done, yes. It matters.

You misinterpreted my post. I meant would her being a verified account matter if it's true that she was automatically suspended for twitter activity and the deletion requirement was hypothetically meant to prove someone wasn't a bot.

I'd assume it is more about Warner Bros not wanting #BoycottJusticeLeague to gain traction. But what do I know?

I mean I have no idea, and you could well be right, but do you think it'll work? And do you think anyone at Twitter or WB would think banning Rose's account would achieve that goal? I don't.

Volimar

What a load of shit. If it was so critical to remove someone phone number they could edit the tweet themselves

I actually buy this excuse from Twitter. They're notorious for doing things the worst way possible. I believe that they're incompetent enough to ban an account instead of take care of the problem themselves and DM her a warning or something.

Maebe

If this is supposed to be twitter/hollywood doing damage control it's going to have the exact opposite effect

Kinyou

What a load of shit. If it was so critical to remove someone phone number they could edit the tweet themselves
Question is if someone personally noticed this and blocked the account or if an algorithm caught it. If it's the latter banning the account until someone checks on it seems like the better idea.

Twitter I'm not sure if leaving it so long and then coming out with that has really sent the right message now has it when you have a reputation of being fucking awful over abuse of your platform

as someone with direct experience with this kind of thing, I know it's not ideal to have to wait so long for a response but things with this level of scrutiny usually require multiple levels of revision and possibly even involvement with the legal team before giving an official reply. and this was outside of normal working hours if I'm not wrong.

I actually buy this excuse from Twitter. They're notorious for doing things the worst way possible. I believe that they're incompetent enough to ban an account instead of take care of the problem themselves and DM her a warning or something.
Disagree completely but you are entitled to your opinion.

Surfinn

Question is if someone personally noticed this and blocked the account or if an algorithm caught it. If it's the latter banning the account until someone checks on it seems like the better idea.

Yeah I was wondering if it was an automated suspension or manual

Raptomex

It's funny that you believe Twitter.
Well as far as I know, nothing has been proven. From the tweets I've seen in screen shots, I would agree Twitter is fucked. Twitter says it was a phone number. I really have no clue. But the moment something happens everybody just jumps to conclusions. In this case, a cover-up. Maybe it is. I'd like to know all the information.
Do you know how often trolls, abusers, and harassers post personal information of people on Twitter and nothing is done about it? It's selective enforcement of their policies and it's bullshit.
I actually had no idea how often. I agree that's fucked up. So why do we go on the crusade now? Why didn't we do it at the first sign of trouble? Because this is high-profile? Nobody deserves to be abused, harassed, etc.
Haha you're buying the pr?
Not necessarily. However, I think hearing a statement from them isn't unreasonable. Whether or not it's accurate, I have no idea.

kmax

Rose herself describes how it is to be a female actor in Hollywood:

"You're sent out there as a girl to be polite as you can be. Cause no waves. Don't upset anybody... don't step out of line little girl, because there's another one right behind you"
https://youtu.be/CghFGGVknIA?t=37

The enablers running the show wants them all to keep their mouth shut. How unexpected of them.

When a company shuts you down for speaking up when they're completely happy housing and verifying neo nazis and other disgusting people like it's happy hour, then you definitely know that something's up.

Volimar

Disagree completely but you are entitled to your opinion.

I was kind of being sarcastic, but it's nice to know you have my back.

pvXyKKF.gif

KHarvey16

Do we really think someone at twitter put a plan in place to limit her acces to her account for 12 hours in order to make this all blow over?

Really?

A dumb automated script causing the ban makes way more sense.

https://twitter.com/TwitterSafety/status/918502629679939584

This is such a BS response. I can definitely recall numerous times where people on Twitter went after females by doxxing them, ON TWITTER, and the accounts were suspended.

shiba5

I've seen people post a huge amount of tweets in succession and they're fine. What bullshit is this.

Like all the bots on Trump's feed.
Their answer is BS.

Edit: That follow up is also BS. They don't give a shit about doxxing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom