• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft: AC Origins To Run at 4K/30 FPS On Both Pro and Xbox X

Poona

Hmmm... this may make it harder to pick which is the better versions now.

I already have a Pro and will get an X, but I thought from the reports the X version was going to be noticeably better.

spannicus

Hmmm... this may make it harder to pick which is the better versions now.

I already have a Pro and will get an X, but I thought from the reports the X version was going to be noticeably better.
Have a pro as well and may get on X. More about having the latest thing for me though. Im a sucker for new tech. I dont see why the X version isnt superior to the pro. May not be a huge leap over but should run better no doubt. Then again its up to the developers to actually utilize the extra power. For all the games releasing in the near future this may be an issue. Most time it boils down to controller and online for me. Thats how i usually decide.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Ah yes, Windows Central.

I like how its implied that there's a forced parity conspiracy holding the X back when the developer specifically mentions dynamic resolution scaling. Its implementation literally means the opposite of the speculative claim, allowing the hardware to downscale only if necessary.

PSGames

Dynamic resolution is fine but you would think the additional RAM/bandwidth would warrant higher quality textures and effects at least. There should definitely be improvements beyond just resolution.

Hoje0308

Banned
In this case it's more like having an old crappy tower that can barely chug along, throwing a 980ti in it and expecting miracles in performance.

Someone in the destiny 2 thread made a "CPU bound for dummies" image that should really be posted in every thread with outrage over why the 1.5 consoles aren't hitting high framerates.

I would love to see that. I'm sure it'll come in handy.

No need.

PS4 Pro: 8 core Jaguar CPU @ 2.1Ghz
XB1X: same thing @ 2.3Ghz

9% difference, both very low power procs

Most of us have already know that. The problem is there are still lots of Gaffers who expect 60fps in lots of games (if not all) from these mid-gen refresh consoles.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Game looks pretty ass anyway. They really need to reboot the entire franchise.

New engine and a game where you play as the assassin set in the actual time period. No more Animus bullshit. You actually play as the assassin for real.

For the record, dev I spoke to at xbox fanfest stated that the game, in alpha, wasn't dropping below native 4K once on Xbox One X. It's designed to in the event there's the need to maintain performance, but they've had plenty of busier sections where it didn't need to, and they're still just in alpha.

For whatever that's worth that's what I was told. It's the same dev that would trigger some controller shortcut on the dev kit to make the main character float whenever we encountered one of the few bugs in the game where the player was unable to move or come back out after going into specific windows,

Vashetti

Banned
In this case it's more like having an old crappy tower that can barely chug along, throwing a 980ti in it and expecting miracles in performance.

Someone in the destiny 2 thread made a "CPU bound for dummies" image that should really be posted in every thread with outrage over why the 1.5 consoles aren't hitting high framerates.

Which thread is that? can't find it

And it's a safe bet it won't even be a locked 30FPS either.

Version i played was locked. that said I did have 3 people who were on line with me for sea of thieves tell me gameplay felt really slow, so I don't know what was going on when they played, but it always ran perfect in every case that I saw it, but a few people reported issues. Maybe alpha related bugs.

Neo_Geo

Banned
Another gen. 30fps once again. Pathetic useless bullet points that appease the ignorant that buy into your ecosystem trump actual game quality once again. Yay!

DOWN

Banned
The people saying 30fps hurts a third person single player game like AC are a bit tragic lmao

Trust me that even people who like 60fps for many games aren't gonna argue that stuff like Detroit and Uncharted need the compromise it takes to reach 60fps and in turn lose their stunning graphical fidelity.

Not all games are hurt by 30fps on consoles

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
There is no way i would spend more money on better hardware just to have a game run the same on lesser. Whats the point of upgrading hardware if it plays the same on your current box?
And if it performs and looks better on the XBO X, money will spent.

Right?

There should be less comprises to get better performing, looking games on XBO X. Thats IMO the purpose of both Pro and XBO X.

Ppl need to stop focusing on both running at X framerate and resolution.

Let's see the break down in the comparison clips first, okay?

thill1985

Banned
The people saying 30fps hurts a third person single player game like AC are a bit tragic lmao

Trust me that even people who like 60fps for many games aren't gonna argue that stuff like Detroit and Uncharted need the compromise it takes to reach 60fps and in turn lose their stunning graphical fidelity.

Not all games are hurt by 30fps on consoles

This. It really depends on the genre imo. Some genres I want the highest visual fidelity possible and will sacrifice framerates to get it. For other genres, I want the opposite.

I think even with weak CPU's devs can find ways to improve framerates on X1X though. In fact, in the same documentation that got leaked to DF suggesting Zen wasn't being used we only got that info due to MS outlining approaches to scaling up framerates in spite of a CPU. That still indicates that they want devs to explore those possibilities. If I recall, the idea they promoted was to have physics sims running at 30fps with interpolation with graphics rendered at 60fps.

Maybe if consumer tv's show up with refresh rates synced to the console we will see more unlocked framerates allowing for some middle ground between 30fps and 60fps.

As I expected, that's going to be the gamut of it - all multiplatform titles will perform equally between PlayStation 4 Pro and Xbox One X.

It doesn't matter which console you have, you'll always get the best experience.

Fair is fair.

This is barring of course, patches down the line that make-or-break the difference between the parity of the 2 consoles.

But the money spent to get that accomplished, may never be greenlit due to demand/sales.

paulogy

It's clear for this game they chose fixed framerate at 30fps and dynamic resolution for all consoles. The Xbox One X will likely hit native 4K more often than the PS4 Pro will and hence it will look better.

So what's the problem here? Xbox One X version is going to look better, but not better in the way you wanted?

DOWN

Banned
As I expected, that's going to be the gamut of it - all multiplatform titles will perform equally between PlayStation 4 Pro and Xbox One X.

It doesn't matter which console you have, you'll always get the best experience.

Fair is fair.
That's not how it should work tho. Devs who make PC versions should also be scaling the X and Pro versions to their respective hardware. That means X games should have perceptible improvements due to up to 50% more power.

That's not how it should work tho. Devs who make PC versions should also be scaling the X and Pro versions to their respective hardware. That means X games should have perceptible improvements due to up to 50% more power.

While I agree on the PC front, as far as consoles go - especially one that costs $500 - It should be all equal as far as high-end specs :)

Bizzquik

Due to these new console's CPUs, I think we all know most open-world games are going to aim for a locked 30fps and call it a day.

....Looks like I'll be getting Assassin's Creed on PC again - hopefully for $25 at launch from someone that doesn't want their included code from a GPU purchase.

farisr

So what's the problem here? It's not better in the way you wanted... ie. framerate?
Some are just having trouble accepting the fact that they overhyped the differences a mid-gen console upgrade would actually bring to the table (especially when compared to the Pro version).

The folks who bought a Pro already knew what to expect with the 1X after they saw the real-world results/differences that the Pro enhanced versions of games had when compared to the base PS4 version (which is a larger gap in power than Pro vs 1X) and were warning folks not to get too overhyped/expect too much in regards to the differences between the Pro and 1X versions, but were shut up in the name of hype by those very people and driven away whenever they suggested such a thing.

And I'm not saying they're alone in this, many folks who bought a Pro went through a similar thing.

What can be said though is they should look on the bright side, rather than getting caught up in dick measuring contests with the Pro, just focus on the difference between the Xbox One, and the One X versions and stop worrying about how the competing console is doing. Get a 1X if you like the games & services MS brings and enjoy. If you were planning on getting the 1X for third parties alone, then yeah you may have something to think about like how invested you are in the MS ecosystem, whether the extra $100 over the Pro is worth it to you with these kinds of differences etc.

Darknight

People comparing Pro to Xbox One X should be comparing the performance leaps from the base consoles. When most Xbox gamers were getting 720p-900p games and unstable framerates, you're now getting 1080p up to 4k at a stable 30fps or maybe even 60fps depending on the game. That's not insignificant.

Moving goal post.

Apathy

when your new $500 dollar box is running games at the same res and frame rate of your competitors box that is $100 cheaper, you really make it hard for consumers to want your box.

The vast majority of consumers see a store display that says "hey both these things do 4k and 30fps" and they'll just go for the cheaper option.

El-Suave

Games are coming in hot at the last minute, especially big ones like AC Origins. Why would you really optimize a game for a machine that isn't even out when the game releases. That's the flattering answer for MS, the blunt one is that the install base isn't there, especially not internationally.

For the record, dev I spoke to at xbox fanfest stated that the game, in alpha, wasn't dropping below native 4K once on Xbox One X.
If he said that he was lying, but I suspect you just misunderstood him. Assassin's Creed Origins is never native 4K on Xbox One X, it uses CBR. He probably said that it never dropped below 4K (i.e. 2160c), which is possible. How often PS4 Pro will drop depends on how much headroom the One X version has.

ResoRai

Fair is fair.

This is barring of course, patches down the line that make-or-break the difference between the parity of the 2 consoles.

But the money spent to get that accomplished, may never be greenlit due to demand/sales.
You came to a conclusion pretty quick lol. It's way too early to tell.
Ubisoft was all about parity in AC games with the PS4 and Xb1.

DOWN

Banned
If he said that he was lying, but I suspect you just misunderstood him. Assassin's Creed Origins is never native 4K on Xbox One X, it uses CBR. He probably said that it never dropped below 4K (i.e. 2160c), which is possible. How often PS4 Pro will drop depends on how much headroom the One X version has.
In confused. Can't the game scale from 2160p on the X down to some sort of 2160c resolution under load? Or is it possible, but you're saying that's not what it does and that it never goes as high as 2160p?

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Another gen. 30fps once again. Pathetic useless bullet points that appease the ignorant that buy into your ecosystem trump actual game quality once again. Yay!

I'd take a dynamic resolution to get locked 30fps in AC, though. It's frame rates have always be woeful.

spannicus

In confused. Can't the game scale from 2160p on the X down to some sort of 2160c resolution under load? Or is it possible, but you're saying that's not what it does and that it never goes as high as 2160p?
Id say wait until the game releases or get more info from developers themselves. Beats asking some know it all who actually knows nothing.

when your new $500 dollar box is running games at the same res and frame rate of your competitors box that is $100 cheaper, you really make it hard for consumers to want your box.

The vast majority of consumers see a store display that says "hey both these things do 4k and 30fps" and they'll just go for the cheaper option.

Which is almost the same as ms's own 250 dollars box. ;p

Top Bottom