• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft: AC Origins To Run at 4K/30 FPS On Both Pro and Xbox X

Sanctuary

Buy 4k tv's

but also that the differences would be "imperceptible to the human eye

KAY...

The resolution isn't even one of the main reasons to care about 4K TVs anyway. Also, for as nice as many games can look in screenshots, you will almost never be able to tell that they look that good while the game is in motion, unless by default it has horrible aliasing or awful textures. For how obsessed some people get about resolution, they tend to ignore the fact that we can only focus on so much of the screen while playing and that most everything in motion tends to blur somewhat, even with motion blur off. The differences between 1080p/1440p/2160p are all slight, especially on a TV that you're going to be sitting 4-8 feet away from unless you end up buying one of the larger sets.

Ascenion

In confused. Can't the game scale from 2160p on the X down to some sort of 2160c resolution under load? Or is it possible, but you're saying that's not what it does and that it never goes as high as 2160p?

Sounds like they are saying the 4K was always 2160c. It was never true 3840x2160 or 2160p. Think back to those 1080pr discussions of the OG Xbox One. I have no idea whether or not that is actually true though. I'm gonna also note that legit legit 4K is actually 4096x2160. So if you wanna be technical if you are watching it on a consumer TV none of it is true 4K.

TheRed

Idk how anyone could be surprised about framerates with the CPU that are in these things. If you really want 60 fps on literally every single game regardless of if they're aiming for a huge detailed world just get a PC with a CPU that can handle it. You can't have it all for just $500.

In confused. Can't the game scale from 2160p on the X down to some sort of 2160c resolution under load? Or is it possible, but you're saying that's not what it does and that it never goes as high as 2160p?
This isn't impossible in theory, but it would make little sense. If you can run native 2160p, and then there's a tiny bit more load onscreen, switching to 2160c would hurt image quality more noticeably than just dropping to, say, 2115p and upscaling. Or looking at it the other way round, if you're usually maxing at 2160c, it would take a lot more headroom to switch to native 2160p. When would there be a situation where that much more power became available? Perhaps when looking at the sky, but why would the developer code a conditional off switch for CBR that'd only engage when what you're seeing wouldn't benefit much at all?

If a game is CBR when at 4K in normal gameplay, it's very likely going to be CBR all the time.

Sanctuary

Sounds like they are saying the 4K was always 2160c. It was never true 3840x2160 or 2160p. Think back to those 1080pr discussions of the OG Xbox One. I have no idea whether or not that is actually true though. I'm gonna also note that legit legit 4K is actually 4096x2160. So if you wanna be technical if you are watching it on a consumer TV none of it is true 4K.

Not true at all

If you're specifically talking about films being converted to UHD or TV broadcasts then maybe, but as far as video games go, what you said isn't accurate. Hell, just about nothing is "4K" native anyway, it's mostly all just upscaled film shot with a 2K camera.

You came to a conclusion pretty quick lol. It's way too early to tell.
Ubisoft was all about parity in AC games with the PS4 and Xb1.

Well, I guess we will see.

The only reason I would even remotely consider buying an Xbox One X, is if Call Of Duty: WWII, Red Dead Redemption 2 and any other multi-platform title down the line that I am interested in [before the next generation of consoles release] were enhanced in an unbelievable way. I don't mean identical graphically to PS4 Pro, with merely better FPS - I mean a literal change of night and day difference and I doubt we'll see that, so I'll just stick with PlayStation 4 Pro this gen.

Ascenion

Not true at all

If you're specifically talking about films being converted to UHD or TV broadcasts then maybe, but as far as video games go, what you said isn't accurate. Hell, just about nothing is "4K" native anyway, it's mostly all just upscaled film shot with a 2K camera.

I mean to me the DCI standard is actual 4K. Since it is actually double 2K which is a film resolution that TV skipped entirely. I generally make a distinction. I was just pointing out the notion that technically nothing is 4K like you said. But yes 3860 is native 4K where this is concerned.

But how is it not true? If the TV is only 3860 and actual 4K is 4096 then your TV can't display that. I mean yes there are two standards I acknowledge but DCI 4K is 4K while UHD is a lower resolution.

pa22word

I would love to see that. I'm sure it'll come in handy.

Which thread is that? can't find it

It was the "bungee explains..." thread. Turns out it was a string of images, actually. Actually found the exact post with google image search, lol!

Deserves to be reposted in full:

Gaf (straw)Man in: The Curious Case of the CPU-bound Video Game! Oversimplified collector's edition

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents either are products of the author’s imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events or locales or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.

ZFU0SEX.png

Frame rate: 30
What is this? A 30 fps video game! Fret not! Gaf man is here to save the day! Clearly they have sacrificed the fluidity of the game for fancy (checkerboarded) 4K. Let us turn down the resolution to 1080p.

QA3tjvh.png

Alas! That was not enough! We will have to crank it down further! 720p here we go!

fPV1xbm.png

Somehow, this isn't working. I guess we just haven't gone down enough. 480p, here we go!

0Lbjv9L.png

You know what? Graphics are overrated. Destiny 2 would be far better as an artistic experience that replicates blindness. How about we render nothing at all?

N7LDKuG.png

Frame rate: 35
Progress! Gaf man has cracked yet another case!

ResoRai

Well, I guess we will see.

The only reason I would even remotely consider buying an Xbox One X, is if Call Of Duty: WWII, Red Dead Redemption 2 and any other multi-platform title down the line that I am interested in [before the next generation of consoles release] were enhanced in an unbelievable way. I don't mean identical graphically to PS4 Pro, with merely better FPS - I mean a literal change of night and day difference and I doubt we'll see that, so I'll just stick with PlayStation 4 Pro this gen.
The Pro is already a pretty powerful console, so you may be good sticking with it.

But yeah i'm interested to see the differences between those games. Just A.C and Destiny arent the ones to look for any really. With the PS4 and Xbox One there was usually something different besides resolution/framerate, (it did vary) and they have a lot more power to work with this time around. They are juggling a lot more systems as well though, so it'll be interesting to see how it goes.

Not sure if they'd put the extra work in, but i'd love to see devs put that extra ram to good use with 4K textures.

Footos22

There is no way i would spend more money on better hardware just to have a game run the same on lesser. Whats the point of upgrading hardware if it plays the same on your current box?

But it probably doesn't look the same. There is more to a game then the fucking resolution. Jeez, dunno how many more times people have to be told.

Vashetti

Banned
why not 1080p 60fps and just cb 4k????

C'mon man just scroll up a little

Gaf (straw)Man in: The Curious Case of the CPU-bound Video Game! Oversimplified collector's edition

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents either are products of the author’s imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events or locales or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.

ZFU0SEX.png

What is this? A 30 fps video game! Fret not! Gaf man is here to save the day! Clearly they have sacrificed the fluidity of the game for fancy (checkerboarded) 4K. Let us turn down the resolution to 1080p.

QA3tjvh.png

Alas! That was not enough! We will have to crank it down further! 720p here we go!

fPV1xbm.png

Somehow, this isn't working. I guess we just haven't gone down enough. 480p, here we go!

0Lbjv9L.png

You know what? Graphics are overrated. Destiny 2 would be far better as an artistic experience that replicates blindness. How about we render nothing at all?

N7LDKuG.png

Frame rate: 35
Progress! Gaf man has cracked yet another case!

Aceofspades

Banned
Hmmm... this may make it harder to pick which is the better versions now.

I already have a Pro and will get an X, but I thought from the reports the X version was going to be noticeably better.

Difference between PRO and X is exactly similar to PS4/X1.

You should expect Native vs checkerboard, or both dynamic res with X maintaining higher ceiling of res.

score01

It's clear for this game they chose fixed framerate at 30fps and dynamic resolution for all consoles. The Xbox One X will likely hit native 4K more often than the PS4 Pro will and hence it will look better.

So what's the problem here? Xbox One X version is going to look better, but not better in the way you wanted?

Lol, The problem is obviously that it's not better enough! Xox is a beast and if the lowly xboxs tier PS4 pro is keeping up you know that there is something amiss in going on.

/s

All this Pro and Xbox One X talk has me worried this game will run like shit on the original PS4 and Xbox One, even though their biggest userbase is on those consoles.

All this Pro and Xbox One X talk has me worried this game will run like shit on the original PS4 and Xbox One, even though their biggest userbase is on those consoles.

Who knows, but I'm definitely buying it for the One X so how it runs really shouldn't be an issue. Same should be true for ps4 pro owners.

jsnepo

This hurts. I am expected to pay $100 more for a console that will perform very close to its comparative console just because of the CPU? WTF was Microsoft thinking then?

This hurts. I am expected to pay $100 more for a console that will perform very close to its comparative console just because of the CPU? WTF was Microsoft thinking then?

lets not get ridiculous now. Common sense suggests if dynamic scaling is at play, it will still run better on the One X. And if Ubisoft is using identical visual settings across both machines, so be it. I just know what the One X version looks like from my time with it. Honestly you can't get much better than what it already looks like, so I don't really get the fuss.

Is it that big a deal that the game ends up looking great on the pro too? Just know that there are certain guarantees we can count on with these new consoles, especially the One X, and it's that games should not just look great with most if not all the bells and whistles, they should run great too. AC Origins is already running so great on One X when the SDK isn't even finished and the game is just in alpha. I know how great it runs because I've played the shit out of it since Monday night.

GHG

You don't have to buy it. There, problem solved.

People act as if these mid gen refresh consoles are being forced onto us, they are not. The vast majority of games will still run well on the original consoles at 720-1080p dependant on the game and the hardware. Only buy a refresh model if you see the value in it.

If you really want to make sure you can play at the best quality possible at all times then there is a completely different platform at you should look at.

SeanTSC

Nice, I just hope it does Supersampling properly and isn't flubbed for months like Syndicate was on the Pro.

And I think the "Resolution isn't that important/4K is a fad" people are insane. On my 60" 1080p Plasma the difference between 1080p and even 1800p Supersampled is NIGHT and DAY. That shit is important to me and enhances my experience a ton. Anything that gets rid of Aliasing and Shimmering is a huge plus and one of the biggest increases in image quality and immersion for me.

GHG

Nice, I just hope it does Supersampling properly and isn't flubbed for months like Syndicate was on the Pro.

And I think the "Resolution isn't that important/4K is a fad" people are insane. On my 60" 1080p Plasma the difference between 1080p and even 1800p Supersampled is NIGHT and DAY. That shit is important to me and enhances my experience a ton. Anything that gets rid of Aliasing and Shimmering is a huge plus and one of the biggest increases in image quality and immersion for me.

Yep, I'm really sensitive to things like shimmering, pixel crawling and aliasing in general. It comes from being used to having had nigh on perfect image quality on the PC through using downsampling ever since it became a thing. Thats why with the exception of a few games that straight up run like shit on the PC, all 3rd party game purchases are on that platform. I just like to be able to have full control of getting rid of that stuff. Some people largely underestimate image quality and the amount of detail that can be lost in a scene due to poor IQ.

But I understand that for some people it won't be as important or they won't notice it, largely because they don't know what they are looking for.

daninthemix

I have to say I'm impressed, since I have doubts my GTX1080 will run it at 4k/30, if AC Unity plus 3 years of evolution are anything to go by.

Even if ubi put the exact same game out on pro and 1x, the 1x version will be running at higher res more often than the pro and have less frame drops, the superior cpu and gpu will see to that and the extra ram. If ubi put a bit off effort in they could have it looking better too.

Gurish

Why did we go to 4k and not 1080/60?

It's easier for current gen consoles to reach higher resolution and fidelity than higher framerarte, this is how they were designed and I can see why, most casual people do care about visuals more.

ISee

It will be fine at 1080c/30.
Watch_Dogs 2 was already 1080 checkerboard on PS4 and most of GAF didn't even notice. Even DF didn't mention it in their first WD2 video. Which makes this thread a lot of fun to read, imo.

Top Bottom