• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft: AC Origins To Run at 4K/30 FPS On Both Pro and Xbox X

3D was a fad, 4K is here to stay my friend.

Yep. It's hard for me to imagine that all of these people that are against the 4k movement have actually seen true 4k content running on a good 4k set. The price of admission may be something to complain about, but not the tech itself.

4k, when configured properly, is a huge leap over 1080p...and it's gorgeous!

ISee

This is the difference between 2160p and 2160c in Watch_Dogs 2 (PC, mostly Ultra settings, no resolution scaling, 2160c is with 5% sharpening).
Is there a difference? Of course; there are clearly more artifacts and problems in the 2160c image. But it still looks fine, the difference in performance is huge (+47%) and many older up-scaling problems like shimmering and aliasing are gone/reduced. As a PC gamer I like the idea of checkerboarding/temporal reconstruction paired with light sharpening and post AA as an option in my games.

Watch_Dogs 2 2160c

Watch_Dogs 2 2160p

Tripolygon

Banned
This is the difference between 2160p and 2160c in Watch_Dogs 2 (PC, mostly Ultra settings, no resolution scaling, 2160c is with 5% sharpening).
Is there a difference? Of course; there are clearly more artifacts and problems in the 2160c image. But it still looks fine, the difference in performance is huge (+47%) and many older up-scaling problems like shimmering and aliasing are gone/reduced. As a PC gamer I like the idea of checkerboarding/temporal reconstruction paired with light sharpening and post AA as an option in my games.

Watch_Dogs 2 2160c

Watch_Dogs 2 2160p
Downscaled to 1080p. 4K version here
insta5xu1r.gif

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Watch_Dogs 2 2160c

Watch_Dogs 2 2160p

Honestly, if using the checker boarded approach lets more companies increase the resolution without sacrifice in performance, I'm all for it. The results in your comparison are pretty good. Obviously Native is sharper, but the difference isn't exactly *that* huge and in motion you probably won't be noticing it.

Considering how both Pro and Scorpio have hugely improved GPUs and only minor CPU upgrades, increase in resolutions is likely easier for developers to implement than doubling the frame rate.

Peroroncino

I'm glad they're putting stable framerate over resolution, but wasn't the whole scorpio shtick something about 'uncompromised' / 'true' 4k?

I'm glad they're putting stable framerate over resolution, but wasn't the whole scorpio shtick something about 'uncompromised' / 'true' 4k?

Yeah, and apparently PS4 Pro is a competitor to Xbox One S! :) This whole "true 4K" bullshit is really pissing me off. I'm OK with them using it, but is't really stupid of them to say that PS4 Pro can't do it...

Rune Corp

Neo Member
Given Ubisoft's seeming partnership with MS for this and all the hyping up MS did for the X1X*, hearing this is hilarious.

*This isn't to say every game will have parity between the two consoles, but this still makes me chuckle.

Kuosi

For 4k at 60fps on current gen games you need a high end PC that costs more than a X1X.

some don't care for 4k, takes about half less power to run at 4k 30fps or you can go lower res with less powerful hardware and get 60fps, that's one of the great things about PC, you can actually choose and you get what you pay for

Dynamic rez? I thought it was checkerboard 5 minutes ago.

I guess most of these reps haven't got a clue on the technicalities so they just say something to keep the peace.

thelastword

Banned
I saw some screens that looked much better than the footage I saw at MS's conference tbh....I like the characters setting and gameplay, I even like "some" of the animations I saw, but the graphics did not blow me away..It seems to have the same lod and detail issues that Unity had...

BigEmil

PS5/XBOX2X reveal: "4K. 60fps. You're gonna hear those a lot."

Fast forward 3 years and all games are 4K/30.
If they used 1080p 60fps on PS5/XBOX2X, they got all that extra horsepower left for the game fidelity only stupid devs would waste, sacrifice all that potential just to put up more pixels on screen

ISee

Dynamic rez? I thought it was checkerboard 5 minutes ago.

I guess most of these reps haven't got a clue on the technicalities so they just say something to keep the peace.

The resolution pre reconstruction can be dynamic, so it can be both at the end. CBR and dynamic.

Fisty

If they used 1080p 60fps on PS5/XBOX2X, they got all that extra horsepower left for the game fidelity only stupid devs would waste, sacrifice all that potential just to put up more pixels on screen

The biggest mistake of the 8th gen, imo. Pro and Scropio have the tech to finally give us those 1080p bullshots in gameplay at 60fps, but everyone wants to waste the power on more pixels. 7th gen was 720p, 8th gen should have been all about 1080p, with maybe a 1440p here and there for IQ boosts when the overhead is adequate. Consoles aren't ready for 4K, too many sacrifices have to be made.

Nioh and Nier are perfect examples of what devs should be doing with Pro, 1080p60 should be an option in every game that can manage it.

pa22word

For 4k at 60fps on current gen games you need a high end PC that costs more than a X1X.

You're telling me if you want something that performs better pound for pound you have to pay more for it? Shocking!

XBO(X) isnt magic. It's got a limited bandwidth cpu that's going to bottleneck it no matter how big the gpu they threw in there is. If you want 60fps or higher in most scenarios, you're going to need the higher bandwidth a decent (read: "decent", not high end, basically any desktop cpu of the last 8 years or so soundly thrashes what's in the consoles) cpu offers. If you want that, you need to do it yourself because developers aren't going to bother on consoles if Microsoft didn't bother upgrading the cpu. Thus pc vs consoles in a nutshell. Pick your own perf profile and build to it as you want it or have someone else do it for you.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Yep. It's hard for me to imagine that all of these people that are against the 4k movement have actually seen true 4k content running on a good 4k set. The price of admission may be something to complain about, but not the tech itself.

And is still years out as a standard. 4K remains a goal that few content providers care about delivering at this point, and that will be true for some time to come. The amount of shock in this thread indicates that even most people on an enthusiast site like GAF are not paying attention to the reality of the situation. True 4K content is exceptionally rare and that's not changing any time soon.

You want real 4K and 60? You're building a top end PC. Stop expecting consoles to deliver that in this decade.

Timu

some don't care for 4k, takes about half less power to run at 4k 30fps or you can go lower res with less powerful hardware and get 60fps, that's one of the great things about PC, you can actually choose and you get what you pay for
Thank god I do that for my PC games!=p

You're telling me if you want something that performs better pound for pound you have to pay more for it? Shocking!

XBO(X) isnt magic. It's got a limited bandwidth cpu that's going to bottleneck it no matter how big the gpu they threw in there is. If you want 60fps or higher in most scenarios, you're going to need the higher bandwidth a decent (read: "decent", not high end, basically any desktop cpu of the last 8 years or so soundly thrashes what's in the consoles) cpu offers. If you want that, you need to do it yourself because developers aren't going to bother on consoles if Microsoft didn't bother upgrading the cpu. Thus pc vs consoles in a nutshell. Pick your own perf profile and build to it as you want it or have someone else do it for you.
Of course!!!

Yeah I do know that about X1X, it has it's limits.

rtcn63

Still more expensive than an X1/Pro, but you can definitely do 4K/60fps with a remotely modern CPU + mid-range GPU. You'd be limited to medium to high settings depending on the game, but consoles probably aren't doing high across the board.

Timu

Still more expensive than an X1/Pro, but you can definitely do 4K/60fps with a remotely modern CPU + mid-range GPU. You'd be limited to medium to high settings depending on the game, but consoles probably aren't doing high across the board.
Yep, for demanding games it's going to be a mix match of medium and high with not much in the way of ultra.

exfatal

Scorpio

Edit: too add not surprised by this info and surprised anyone is. expecting anything but parity for most multiplate seems like the logical thing to do.

MilkyJoe

According to Phil noone wants 60fps, right?

Who is noone?

Scorpio

Edit: too add not surprised by this info and surprised anyone is. expecting anything but parity for most multiplate seems like the logical thing to do.

Nope, not really. Probably look the same but with higher resolution or super-sampling, better AA & AF.

There's a lot of things people are not expecting that seem to be choice ammo for the other team.

The game is still in alpha if I remember correctly. Much to early to make judgements about how stable the resolution will be at launch.

woofaki

Neo Member

A huge leap to what?Resolution is only one part of the total graphical fidelity of a game, and its not the best one either....But its sure the laziest and the easiest one to do.Run witcher 3 with low settings 4k and then 1080p in ultra,and tell me that you like the 4k more..Consoles should opt for ultra 1st,before they up the resolution,but its more catchy marketing to say you can do 4k...

Top Bottom