• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft: AC Origins To Run at 4K/30 FPS On Both Pro and Xbox X

AC Origins to run at...

""""4K""""
air-quotes.gif

Yeah. It uses checkerboarding on both so it won't run at 4K on any of them.

Please stop. And I don't mean for developers to stop releasing 30fps games, I mean stop talking about them so much.

For a game like Assassins Creed 30fps will be fine. I'ts not that fast paced. As long as it's a nice 30fps implementation like uncharted or gears of war or something.

Why doesn't it hit 60hz? Well, people keep saying that like it's easy. For a start, I imagine hitting 60hz on a brand new complex game like this is probably quite a bit harder than a simpler game released 5+ years ago that doesn't look nearly as good.

Developers have said time and time again throwing GPU resources at resolution is easier than solving higher framerates for various titles.

I mean we are now with the Pro/X firmly removed from the 360/PS3 era, we have multitudes more power, and still we have 30fps games. Does that not tell you something?

To some people it seems to be outage, disbelieve, lazy devs, 'netbook cpus', Or maybe it's just that 30fps is fine for some games, and it's better to throw resources at making the game better and more complex, if available

You could release a next generation tomorrow, with double the specs of the Pro/X,guess what, there are still going to be 30fps games!! Those increased resources will be gobbled up on increased fidelity, physics and richness.

Some of the best games from the last few generations have been 30fps. I don't remember reviews stating "yeah uncharted 2 is brilliant, but it's hamstrung by being only 30fps", "gears of war might be a visual spectacle of gore, but it's 30fps horseshit - not for me".

This is unpleasant/boring new trend of technical horseshit creeping into the narrative more and more, polluting discussions on every game.

Sure, we might slowly moving towards potentially fractionally more 60fps games with each generation, and things like dynamic resolution scaling. But can't we just sit back and let it happen naturally?

It remains to be seen but in another forum I saw people speculate that it's very possible that a lot of third party developers are not going to truly bother with the extra power, since the majority of players will be on PS4 and One S anyway. So all that extra work for a system that doesn't have a huge install base. Well not anytime soon that is.

It's all speculation and we don't know, but I sure hope not.

leeh

It remains to be seen but in another forum I saw people speculate that it's very possible that a lot of third party developers are not going to truly bother with the extra power, since the majority of players will be on PS4 and One S anyway. So all that extra work for a system that doesn't have a huge install base. Well not anytime soon that is.

If they're both using 4K CBR, I can just imagine the 1X version will have settings higher.

They've already said they're using PC High settings anyway rather than console.

If I'm buying an X1 later this year then I want to play games that take advantage of the hardware.

If this isn't important to Ubisoft then their games wont be important to me, which is a bit of a shame really.

ktroopa

Don't think so. The "issue" here is that it doesn't run at true 4K on Xbox ONE X.

i fully expect 'not true 4K' to become the norm on the X. devs will use that gpu grunt to throw higher res lens flare and special effects along with smoother fps.checkerboard 4K is the new king this gen.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Some are just having trouble accepting the fact that they overhyped the differences a mid-gen console upgrade would actually bring to the table (especially when compared to the Pro version).

The folks who bought a Pro already knew what to expect with the 1X after they saw the real-world results/differences that the Pro enhanced versions of games had when compared to the base PS4 version (which is a larger gap in power than Pro vs 1X) and were warning folks not to get too overhyped/expect too much in regards to the differences between the Pro and 1X versions, but were shut up in the name of hype by those very people and driven away whenever they suggested such a thing.

And I'm not saying they're alone in this, many folks who bought a Pro went through a similar thing.

What can be said though is they should look on the bright side, rather than getting caught up in dick measuring contests with the Pro, just focus on the difference between the Xbox One, and the One X versions and stop worrying about how the competing console is doing. Get a 1X if you like the games & services MS brings and enjoy. If you were planning on getting the 1X for third parties alone, then yeah you may have something to think about like how invested you are in the MS ecosystem, whether the extra $100 over the Pro is worth it to you with these kinds of differences etc.

Well said. At some point stop worrying about what another console is doing and just worry about what you want.

If you are coming from a One, One S, PS4, it will be amazing. Just focus on that. If coming from a PS360....you lucky bastard...lol.

You don't have to buy it. There, problem solved.

People act as if these mid gen refresh consoles are being forced onto us, they are not. The vast majority of games will still run well on the original consoles at 720-1080p dependant on the game and the hardware. Only buy a refresh model if you see the value in it.

If you really want to make sure you can play at the best quality possible at all times then there is a completely different platform at you should look at.

Basically.

This isn't parity. They're essentially letting the consoles power dictate picture quality. Sounds reasonable.

Yup, just like how this gen started......

gamz

If I'm buying an X1 later this year then I want to play games that take advantage of the hardware.

If this isn't important to Ubisoft then their games wont be important to me, which is a bit of a shame really.

100% agree. I'm thinking as soon as the full SDK are out they'll change their tune. I mean it is in alpha still.

horkrux

Great. Now we always have to ask what kind of 4K they are actually talking about. 'True 4K', but not true true 4K.
Checkerboard 4K, and lower checkerboard 4K, but also native 4K once in a blue moon.

And when the resolutions of both Pro and XOX are aligned, the truth will be revealed to us.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
But the Xbox One will surely have better things elsewhere, like particle effects, draw distance, and other random jazz. And yeah, it'll likely not drop from 4K to accomodate framerate as often as the Pro does.

If this is shocking o upsetting news to anyone, then I'm not really sure what to tell you.

I mean we are now with the Pro/X firmly removed from the 360/PS3 era, we have multitudes more power, and still we have 30fps games. Does that not tell you something?

It tells me that gamers should he even more vocal about wanting 60 fps games. It certainly doesn't tell me that we should stop talking about it like you suggested.

Theorry

Love how people act Dynamic Scaling is a bad thing.
Stuff has been a god send this gen and is only a good thing. I dont mind a couple of pixels gone for a locked framerate when needed.

Or at the very most just 1440p downsampling.

4k gaming is a fool's errand.

4k looks amazing. I'm in favour of performance over style too but it's not been a priority on consoles and it won't be. People acting like 4k can't be seen or has little impact, are fooling themselves though.

Floody

Love how people act Dynamic Scaling is a bad thing.
Stuff has been a god send this gen and is only a good thing. I dont mind a couple of pixels gone for a locked framerate when needed.

Agreed, it extremely unlikely you'd even know the difference unless told otherwise too. I know I couldn't pick out a 1080p shot next to a 900p-1080p dynamic res shot, and I think it'll be even harder with 4K checkerboard. If it's the difference between stable FPS all the time or drops here and there than I don't see why it's bad.

Nameless

Some are just having trouble accepting the fact that they overhyped the differences a mid-gen console upgrade would actually bring to the table (especially when compared to the Pro version).

The folks who bought a Pro already knew what to expect with the 1X after they saw the real-world results/differences that the Pro enhanced versions of games had when compared to the base PS4 version (which is a larger gap in power than Pro vs 1X) and were warning folks not to get too overhyped/expect too much in regards to the differences between the Pro and 1X versions, but were shut up in the name of hype by those very people and driven away whenever they suggested such a thing.

And I'm not saying they're alone in this, many folks who bought a Pro went through a similar thing.

What can be said though is they should look on the bright side, rather than getting caught up in dick measuring contests with the Pro, just focus on the difference between the Xbox One, and the One X versions and stop worrying about how the competing console is doing. Get a 1X if you like the games & services MS brings and enjoy. If you were planning on getting the 1X for third parties alone, then yeah you may have something to think about like how invested you are in the MS ecosystem, whether the extra $100 over the Pro is worth it to you with these kinds of differences etc.

Came to make a similar point but it's this post already nailed it.

Aceofspades

Banned

Well said, some folks are treating X as some next generation​ machine above all else. If you have trouble seeing difference between Xone/PS4 and PRO (which is more than twice as powerful) you wont see big difference between PRO and X since power gap is way smaller (similar to PS4/Xone gap)

MS just want to justify their $500 pricing of the machine.

JP

I know this will keep coming up here but moving between 1080/60 to 2160/30 is not a simple matter of flicking a switch.

Could this game run at 1080/60 on the PS4 Pro and Scorpio? Of course it could but it simply wouldn't be the same game it is now and that's not simply because the frame rate and resolution have change.

The primary reason we're in the situation that we are now with PS4 Pro and Scorpio is that both companies are trying to keep things as simple as possible for everybody involved, if they upgraded both CPUs new architecture rather than giving the old CPUs a bit of a polish, which is what has happened, then that has implications on games that were built to run on the original CPUs and there would be additional costs for publishers to deal with all the complications that a new CPU would bring to the table.

It's quite possible that if they had added new CPU architecture that developers would completely ignore it due to the install base on the original consoles, which is still where the vast majority of their income is going to come from. It'll be different when the next generation is launched because that also signifies that something is coming to an end and that's why developers will be more welcoming.

The PS4 Pro and Scorpio are essentially still just a PS4 and Xbox One, that's what they're designed to be and they are not a new generation, however it's been presented by some people. I think it's essential to remember that when building your expectations of what we are going to see on these machines.

I know this will keep coming up here but moving between 1080/60 to 2160/30 is not a simple matter of flicking a switch.

Could this game run at 1080/60 on the PS4 Pro and Scorpio? Of course it could but it simply wouldn't be the same game it is now and that's not simply because the frame rate and resolution have change.

The primary reason we're in the situation that we are now with PS4 Pro and Scorpio is that both companies are trying to keep things as simple as possible for everybody involved, if they upgraded both CPUs new architecture rather than giving the old CPUs a bit of a polish, which is what has happened, then that has implications on games that were built to run on the original CPUs and there would be additional costs for publishers to deal with all the complications that a new CPU would bring to the table.

It's quite possible that if they had added new CPU architecture that developers would completely ignore it due to the install base on the original consoles, which is still where the vast majority of their income is going to come from. It'll be different when the next generation is launched because that also signifies that something is coming to an end and that's why developers will be more welcoming.

The PS4 Pro and Scorpio are essentially still just a PS4 and Xbox One, that's what they're designed to be and they are not a new generation, however it's been presented by some people. I think it's essential to remember that when building your expectations of what we are going to see on these machines.
Well said

ISee

Hopefully they include an option for checkerboard rendering on the PC version!

Watch Dogs 2 had it, even with the option to increase pixel density (higher pre checkerboard resolution) for an even better IQ.
1440c with + 125% resolution looked pretty good and crisp. Still native 1440p looked a tiny bit better.

I'll be happy with downsampling on my 1080p TV thx

You shouldn't be. I thought that too, gaming on likely two of the best 1080p displays ever made, and then went 4K oled and was amazed at the difference in a native 4K title like Skyrim on PS4 pro. Pin prick details are so clear and the contrast so epic, it finally fulfills that 'looking through a window' promise

Adam M

Very impressive quality for a $399 machine!!! PC is my main platform but the value/performance ratio is impressive on these new consoles!

Zojirushi

Very impressive quality for a $399 machine!!! PC is my main platform but the value/performance ratio is impressive on these new consoles!

I feel the same way. People need to drop the console wars and appreciate what they get with these things.

Want more, get a PC but for the money these seem like great machines.

EGM1966

This will almost certainly be the case: it's common sense.

1st/2nd party exclusive titles will almost certainly exploit the Pro/X1X and as it stands Pro will see more of those. MS could counter this by funding additional effort of course but as it stands currently Sony 1st/2nd party AAA output will be higher

Big games - like AC - will not likely invest to fully exploit premium consoles but by their nature will do so to a reasonable extent (better FPS or effects for example). As with AC most will go for near parity although x1x should show better overall performance

Smaller titles/budgets I doubt you'll see much other than what the premium consoles power can automatically improve (say smaller load times).

Exploiting the high end models require time/money and given their install base will be smaller you're simply unlikely to see many developers put too much effort to it.

That doesn't mean they're not good value but people should be realistic too what they're getting.

This will almost certainly be the case: it's common sense.

1st/2nd party exclusive titles will almost certainly exploit the Pro/X1X and as it stands Pro will see more of those. MS could counter this by funding additional effort of course but as it stands currently Sony 1st/2nd party AAA output will be higher

Big games - like AC - will not likely invest to fully exploit premium consoles but by their nature will do so to a reasonable extent (better FPS or effects for example). As with AC most will go for near parity although x1x should show better overall performance

Smaller titles/budgets I doubt you'll see much other than what the premium consoles power can automatically improve (say smaller load times).

Exploiting the high end models require time/money and given their install base will be smaller you're simply unlikely to see many developers put too much effort to it.

That doesn't mean they're not good value but people should be realistic too what they're getting.

That's very unfortunate though. Especially when they go checkerboard 4K on X as well and still have room to spare, use it goddamn it :(

However there's still hope. Look at RDR last gen, 360 was the superior version with more grass and slightly higher resolution.

Top Bottom