• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft posts chart for the average profitability of EA, Ubi, AB, & Take-Two combined

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I thought this was kind of an interesting look at the profitability of the industry at the top: https://www.ubisoftgroup.com/comsit...f call final_tcm99-250464_tcm99-196733-32.pdf

ubisoftmarket00u13.png

Pooya

one thing this chart doesn't show is the increase in profits at the expense of smaller publishers, some of which went out of business around those spikes. I'm not sure if this is a proof of a healthy industry exactly. More like a lopsided industry.

I wonder what the impetus for the next big spike down will be? Something we didn't forsee coming at all, probably.

Google getting into holo gaming with an insane cheap new device? World war? Emperor Trump sending troops through wormholes to conquer new planets? The Nintendo NX?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Yea man, I miss the days when every protagonist had a bald head and scowl. And when everything had a brown and grey color palette. Those were the days of original ideas.

yeah I'm being a cynical jerk but we're basically still playing the same games from 2007/8. Assassin's Creed, Battlefield, Call of Duty, GTA, Uncharted, Gears, Forza etc etc. I like those games but the console shift hasn't really produced those great new IPs like it normally does. Instead every publisher has slashed their output and used the big games to push mystery boxes.

JDB

Banned
yeah I'm being a cynical jerk but we're basically still playing the same games from 2007/8. Assassin's Creed, Battlefield, Call of Duty, GTA, Uncharted, Gears, Forza etc etc. I like those games but the console shift hasn't really produced those great new IPs like it normally does. Instead every publisher has slashed their output and used the big games to push mystery boxes.

You're playing the same games because you choose to, not because there's a lack of creativity.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
yeah I'm being a cynical jerk but we're basically still playing the same games from 2007/8. Assassin's Creed, Battlefield, Call of Duty, GTA, Uncharted, Gears etc etc. I like those games but the console shift hasn't really produced those great new IPs like it normally does. Instead every publisher has slashed their output and used the big games to push mystery boxes.
We're also getting a shit ton of new IPs that aren't mainstays in the industry. As well as a lot of mid tier ideas getting funded even at big studios. But oh no successful games get sequels that aren't completely different genres from their predecessors, because that always pans out.

Also this.
You're playing the same games because you choose to, not because there's a lack of creativity.

I chose to buy UC4 because I wanted an uncharted game. Meanwhile i'll probably buy No Man's Sky and Horizon Zero Dawn to see some new ideas being put into practice if they're really good.

Considering most of the big names from back in the day that fit your description(CoD, Halo, Assassins Creed, GTA, Battlefield) are still around and thriving, I'm not sure what your point is.
Wait what? You really want me to post some screenshots from Halo, AC, GTA, or the new BF game? Because they certainly don't fit that description.

Yea man, I miss the days when every protagonist had a bald head and scowl. And when everything had a brown and grey color palette. Those were the days of original ideas.
Considering most of the big names from back in the day that fit your description(CoD, Halo, Assassins Creed, GTA, Battlefield) are still around and thriving, I'm not sure what your point is.

Gator86

Yeah, gaming is rotten with whaling and gross revenue extraction methods now, but the quality and diversity of games has never been higher. Just this month, we're getting the best Uncharted, a 30 hour Witcher expansion, and a fantastic new IP in Overwatch. If you can't celebrate that, I don't even know what to tell you.

Really interesting that their profit so much this generation. Digital sales? More DLC/season pass sales? F2P? All in all, more money is good for the industry.

tilomite!

As a gamer, I gotta be happy the companies spending big dollars and trying to push my hobby forward are making more money.

The industry is much more diverse now lol. I think it's a lot stronger than the past as well. There's great variety to be had across multiple genres.

But that was 2008-2009?

It's not the recession.

It's Guitar Hero and Rock Band and pricing down all that inventory that was sitting around.

Boss★Moogle;203387475 said:
But, but, but... I'm constantly being told consoles are dead.

Over 650 packaged releases in 2010, 200 last year.

70 publishers released a disc game in 2010, 29 did so last year.

This is just the result of market consolidation forcing profit into the few remaining publishers.

All in all, more money is good for the industry.

Maybe not so much when that money is increasingly being funneled to fewer participants who manage to corral more of the remaining users' spending away from everyone else in a contracting market using fewer games to do it. That's so not the picture of a healthy market.

Maybe not so much when that money is increasingly being funneled to fewer participants who manage to corral more of the remaining users' spending away from everyone else in a contracting market using fewer games to do it. That's so not the picture of a healthy market.

Sir, I stand corrected.

Side note, Any idea how much Rainbow Six Siege has sold so far?

Valkyria

Banned
It's not the recession.

It's Guitar Hero and Rock Band and pricing down all that inventory that was sitting around.

Over 650 packaged releases in 2010, 200 last year.

70 publishers released a disc game in 2010, 29 did so last year.

This is just the result of market consolidation forcing profit into the few remaining publishers.

Why focus only in packaged releases? And why 2010 with Wii full steam ahead? The times are changing, but it does not mean Doom and gloom.

Top Bottom