• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Rise of the Tomb Raider sells <60k units at launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majmun

Sent to die.

SE should've delayed the game to next year.

But then it has to compete against Uncharted 4...

c0de

Hopefully word of mouth keeps the game in the charts but I think the bad image of Xbone will overshadow the game which seems to be great.

Mman235

"It's obvious that trying to add more puzzle and exploration elements didn't resonate with the public so now we have decided that Lara will give up tomb raiding and join the military"

What about "releasing" this game at the end of 2016 as free game with gold right at the PS4 start!? ;)
Will "sell" millions on xbox one then ... ;)

Human_me

I'm not hugely surprised, I could only buy two games this month so I decided to get Fallout 4 and Battlefront.
I suspect others have done the same.

Personally I think they should have released it at the end of the month.

navy

Banned
Will they? We don't know details of the deal, I imagine they paid for marketing and whatever the estimated loss in PS4/PC sales would be.
Doubt MS will pay for XB1 bombing, no?

Yeah, I doubt the XB1 version selling like shit was part of the plan.
They planned for it to sell considerably less obviously. Do you somehow think they didn't know this when they made the deal?

evilr

Banned
Both the exclusivity and the launch date have combined to completely fucked this game over. Let's hope the blame isn't taken out on the developers, and that Square and MS have the brainpower to figure out that they did it themselves.

The catalyst of this whole deal is Phil Spencer. No idea what positivity he saw in this. Questions will clearly be asked and he needs to make sure he doesn't make the same mistake again.

AHA-Lambda

I'm sure long term it won't be a problem, discounts and rereleases will stem the blood, but it was always obviously going to be down on the last, given install base and the staggered launch. SE need to hope MS paid enough.

Taker34

Banned
Ass Creed probably wouldn't have been an issue at least seeing how much it sold on XB1, but Fallout did close to 3 times the amount Tomb Raider did on XBox 1 alone. It needed to be away from that.
Sure, but let's be honest most people only have so much money for the holiday season, so some may ended up with spending everything on Ass and Blops 3... I think it's always problematic to launch a game between those huge AAA titles which could all slowly eat away your launch day casual audience for many reasons. Fallout was just the nail in the coffin.

dolemite

But the IP is on it's last legs.
This was always my qualm from the announcement of the exclusivity.
It's possibly destroyed everything they built up with TR2013.
Shame.

The game is reviewing very well on Metacritic. It is a well-received game that is on one platform only (plus PC), there is no trouble for the road ahead with a multiplat option.

Red Hood

Banned
Damn, this had released already?? I mean i don't have an XBO, but I've never seen any marketing for this, at least in the Netherlands. And yeah, competing with Fallout 4 usually means you'll lose out on cash.

AHA-Lambda

They planned for it to sell considerably less obviously. Do you somehow think they didn't know this when they made the deal?

See my point about the money covering ps4 and PC. The game bombing on Xbox is of course not part of anyone's plan, why would it?

Who the hell thought it was a good idea to release at the same time as Fallout 4?

And then they shut down amazing studios like Crystal Dynamics.

Fucking hell this industry.

I hope nothing happens to CD and they get to work on more awesome Tomb Raider games.

I hope they get a crack at releasing on PS4 at a time that proves successful so they can keep going.

Less than 56,700k going by Bruno's new estimates in the PAL thread...

But good Lord those are absolutely terrible numbers.
I'm sure Square would take it all back even for the $$$ they received because this could create long term brand damage for TR.

As for MS they mishandled this entire thing. They've failed to boost XB1 numbers and sell a decent number of copies of the game. All they have is the greatest line up in history etc to boast about.

Business wise, the deal was a straight dud.

playXray

Gutted for the devs. Let's hope this picks up again next year with a cross-platform "GOTY-type" edition.

Must be the Fallout 4 effect that is largely responsible.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
You know that their last game sold something like 8.5 million copies, right? :D

Doesn't seem like people in the UK liked it enough to buy the sequel or an Xbone to play it on.

The exclusivity was always going to damage this games sales potential.

That's lower than even my pessimistic predictions. Bad move by SE to make a Sony-associated game exclusive to a console with a small install base WW (although I know these are PAL figures here).

AHA-Lambda

Really sucks for CD =/.

Was the TR date announced before the Fallout date or the other way around?

Pretty sure it was after, which makes it even worse.

Doesn't seem like people in the UK liked it enough to buy the sequel or an Xbone to play it on.

The exclusivity was always going to damage this games sales potential.

Has an exclusive deal like this (locking a 3rd party franchise) ever worked actually?

Xbox One haz too many gamez!!1 Seriously though, what a shame, I'm sure it's a really great game and I really like CD...I'll buy it on PS4 when it releases, maybe they can release it sooner after a bomba??

Less than 56,700k going by Bruno's new estimates in the PAL thread...

But good Lord those are absolutely terrible numbers.
I'm sure Square would take it all back even for the $$$ they received because this could create long term brand damage for TR.

As for MS they mishandled this entire thing. They've failed to boost XB1 numbers and sell a decent number of copies of the game. All they have is the greatest line up in history etc to boast about.

Business wise, the deal was a straight dud.

This is what I fear. Hopefully not.

Denton

The devs at Crystal must have been really happy about the decision to launch on Xbone only against Fallout.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Not surprising. Not launching on the console were the IP's biggest fan base is and the same day as Fallout 4. I think Crystal Dynamics will be ok though. The PC version launches in a few months I believe. I'll definitely get it whenever it launches for PS4.

velcry

MSFT will pay/buy any missing copies anyway. SE has nothing to worry.

My guess is that parties sat down and estimated how many sales would have gone towards the PC / PS4 / PS3 userbase, and then Microsoft agreed to pay to make up for those sales.

Main problem now is whether they were even right on the money when it came to estimating those "lost" sales.

bakedpony

There's no point in getting an exclusivity deal if it will not sell consoles.

Sure Square probably expected less sales because of the exclusivity, they definitely didn't expect it to be this abysmal

Syntsui

I'm sure Square made enough money with the deal to compensate any fiasco. Microsoft wasted a lot of money though.

Gutted for the devs. Let's hope this picks up again next year with a cross-platform "GOTY-type" edition.

Must be the Fallout 4 effect that is largely responsible.

And Fallout 4 isn't even that great. It's just more of the same.

I bet if I were playing this right now, I would have been shouting GOTY at the top of my lungs. TR2013 had that distinction for me on the PS3...until TLOU dropped. But still, easily one of the best games I played last gen.

navy

Banned
See my point about the money covering ps4 and PC. The game bombing on Xbox is of course not part of anyone's plan, why would it?
No one wants their product to bomb, but they were obviously aware that sales would be considerably less. If Tomb Raider 3 comes out and they do the deal again no one should be surprised.

bennibop

I really think SE shot themselves in the foot with the deal made with Microsoft, was such a poor decision. So many including myself are holding out for PS4 and PC versions.

Majmun

When it comes to sales:

Ps4 version of Fallout 4>>>>Halo 5 and Rise of the Tomb Raider combined

Never knew Fallout was such a big deal. Damn

AHA-Lambda

I'm sure Square made enough money with the deal to compensate any fiasco. Microsoft wasted a lot of money though.

We don't know that, SE would still have wanted the game to sell well after all.

I would guess MS would cover "lost sales" from PS4/PC at launch and the marketing.

No one wants their product to bomb, but they were obviously aware that sales would be considerably less. If Tomb Raider 3 comes out and they do the deal again no one should be surprised.

Less but not outright bombing, the game should have still sold well on xb1.
I HIGHLY doubt you'll see a TR deal again.

Hasney

Sure, but let's be honest most people only have so much money for the holiday season, so some may ended up with spending everything on Ass and Blops 3... I think it's always problematic to launch a game between those huge AAA titles which could all slowly eat away your launch day casual audience for many reasons. Fallout was just the nail in the coffin.

But the thing is, AC bombed harder than Tomb Raider in a sense. Sure, they probably couldn't have forseen it coming, but it sold 100k on all formats and just 39k on XB1.

Wabba

Of course it was going to bomb, it made two awful decisions right away, console exclusive and releasing the same day as one of the biggest gaming franchises ever released with Call of Duty and Star Wars in between.

Really dont understand the decision about making this console exclusive to Xbox. In light of the Uncharted delay it looks just stupid. Why not release on the biggest gaming console with a fanbase that is more catered to singelplayer games. Just make no sense to be Xbox exclusive. Good luck trying to release it next year on PC and PS4 when its supposed to be the biggest year in gaming ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom