• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Rise of the Tomb Raider sells <60k units at launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn, this had released already?? I mean i don't have an XBO, but I've never seen any marketing for this, at least in the Netherlands. And yeah, competing with Fallout 4 usually means you'll lose out on cash.

Interesting you say that, since I've been curious about promotion of the game in other places. Here in the US, depending on the channel you're watching (for example, Comedy Central and a couple of others), every other commercial is either Tomb Raider or AC Syndicate. They were even promoting Tomb Raider big time during the UFC event this past Saturday.

Single platform (looks like noone bothered about the 360 one) and two years in the generation opposed to 8 years in, with a much smaller installed base. I'm sure they were expecting this kind of numbers.

So they were expecting this game to sell less than TLOU Remastered/sell roughly the same no of copies as Uncharted Collection?

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
It'll be interesting to see how well it sells its first week on PS4. I doubt it'll light anyone's world on fire but it'll be interesting™. Unless there's some good PC deal next year I'll pick it up for cheap on PS4.

Rosur

I thought this only launched in the UK on Friday? At least that is when my copy became playable.

yea only launched on Friday and only on the xbox one/ 360 so not surprised it isn't that high as same week as fallout 4, which everyone I know seems to be playing so it got ignored especially as the PS4 is the dominate platform now over here. Reckon people will pick it up in Jan when on sale or wait for the PC/ PS4 versions.

Picking it up on PC myself and can't wait for it due to how well it reviewed.

luck trying to release it next year on PC and PS4 when its supposed to be the biggest year in gaming ever.

Imagine if they tried to sell the PC/PS4 version at full price. PC users will wait for a sale as usual and it'll bomb on the PS4. Nobody like extremely late ports unless it's heavily discounted.

Syntsui

We don't know that, SE would still have wanted the game to sell well after all.

I would guess MS would cover "lost sales" from PS4/PC at launch and the marketing.

Less but not outright bombing, the game should have still sold well on xb1.
I HIGHLY doubt you'll see a TR deal again.

I'm presuming they are not stupid and specifically made sure that the exclusivity was well worth the loss of PS4 sales. But even then, they were IDIOTS to release it so close to Fallout 4, so who knows?

LewieP

Has an exclusive deal like this (locking a 3rd party franchise) ever worked actually?

There's variation in the specifics on the nature of the exclusivity, but I'd say GTA3/VC/SA, Splinter Cell, and to a lesser degree Titanfall were probably successful for all the involved parties.

The game is reviewing very well on Metacritic. It is a well-received game that is on one platform only (plus PC), there is no trouble for the road ahead with a multiplat option.

A year old game on PS4 following in the wake of Uncharted 4, a game kept away by exclusivity?

Don't expect it to light up the charts, I expect SE to pay for their decision to jump into bed with MS with lower sales than they would have got if it had released at the same time.

3rd party exclusives on X1 is generally a poor decision this gen, throwing away double the install base with PS4.

zsynqx

Imagine if they tried to sell the PC/PS4 version at full price. PC users will wait for a sale as usual and it'll bomb on the PS4. Nobody like extremely late ports unless it's heavily discounted.

How did Bioshock on PS3 sell and was that full price originally?

Striek

Posted in the PAL thread, basically I doubt S-E got enough money off MS to cover the loss. The sales have to be unexpectedly small. The lost revenue is insane, WW probably close to $100 million if this trend is the same elsewhere. MS wouldn't pay that, especially since if they knew how badly it would sell (and in turn, how few consoles it would sell).

This is a classic lose-lose-lose.

S-E lost money, MS lost money, PC & PS4 owners lose out and hell, Xbox owners lose out because money wasted on exclusivity here could've gone to something else.

sirap

Would've bought this in a heartbeat had they released it on PC, or PS4. Brad's glowing praise for the game really helped convince me I should play this game.

Ashler

They knew it had a chance of selling poorly when they slashed their audience in less than half.

I assume the exclusivity deal covered their loss (sales wise), if not, it wasn't a very good deal for them.

c0de

When it comes to sales:

Ps4 version of Fallout 4>>>>Halo 5 and Rise of the Tomb Raider combined

Never knew Fallout was such a big deal. Damn

Well, tbf the Fallout 4 version of Xbone also sold almost as high as those other two combined.

Lucifon

On the same week of Fallout made me wait until Christmas to pick this up. I'm sure a lot of people will be doing similar.

Madness

But Polygon said Lara Croft was saved.

What a stupid comment. The game is well made, it selling poorly as a console exclusive on the weaker selling console against a multiplatform juggernaut means what, that it isn't a good game? What about when the PC release sells a lot and later the PS4? Will it be a good game then? FFS... Xbox One exclusives will sell less than third parties this Era. It's just a fact of the industry and the dwindling install base compared to last gen.

Hasney

It's UK only tho, could be doing better in other regions?

It could be. A lot of things could be happening in other regions. But when you look at other regions, there's a very small selection where the XBox 1 has enough of a base to have any sort of impact, so it would have had to have spiked hardware sales too. US is likely being swallowed by Fallout too.

Rosur

They should have launched the game a few weeks later or earlier, like Nintendo did with Xenoblade X, to avoid the November launch slaughter.

Yep, though don't know if launching next to Just Cause 3 would be a good idea. Waiting till Jan (same time as Dying Light) would of been nice i think.

Not surprised in the slightest. Being exclusive to the less-popular console and releasing on the same day as Fallout 4 was basically a death wish.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
not a great result. 1/3 of the last Tomb Raider game, and I suppose that UK is the strongest EU market for the XONE.

bigjig

Completely boneheaded move on SE's part to jump into bed with MS over a series that is traditionally associated with PlayStation. They'll have to sell it at 30-40 dollars when the PS4 version releases to have a hope of selling anything against 2016's lineup of new games.

SJRB

Gold Member
Platform exclusivity aside, this game was sent out to die by releasing on the same day as Fallout 4.

What the fuck were they thinking?

Guerrilla

This first "week" is only 2 days though, right? (Stores being closed on sundays)
Did we expect this to sell better than the first one? The first one being multiplatform on a VASTLY larger install base and not going against Fallout 4?

I don't really think they expected to sell 150k units in the first 2 days in the UK, if so they got the wrong people doing their predictions...

novablue

Banned
But the thing is, AC bombed harder than Tomb Raider in a sense. Sure, they probably couldn't have forseen it coming, but it sold 100k on all formats and just 39k on XB1.

100K altogether on all platforms or 100K each on the opposing platform?

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
As a PS4-only player, I would have happily bought Tomb Raider while I waited for the Fallout bugs to be fixed. Instead, I just bought into the hype and got FO4. Just my two cents which may or may apply to others in the UK.

Remasters are now the standard that Tomb Raider games compare themselves to?

OK.

Well considering sony themselves were saying that A lot of sony PS4 owners were 360 owners that never got chance to play Unncharted, and expected uncharted trilogy to do well. I would say that either uncharted is either a flop or Tomb raider did ok for launching the same week as Fallout, on a friday, compared to fallouts tuesday release.

Each to their own tho, I respect everyones opinion and it seems that a lot of poeple think it is a complete and utter failure for ROTR. :)

Lets see how it goes for the Xmas period I say

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom