• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Rise of the Tomb Raider sells <60k units at launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRum

Banned
I see this as less of an install base issue and more of let's release in the month with the strongest multiplat releases of the year.

Oersted

How much did TR2013 sold at launch?

edit: Fallout 4 audience shouldn't overlap too much with TR but with less AAA releases than usual I guess people buy whatever the next big thing is.

Part of the AAA is marketing. Tomb Raider is getting steamrolled by CoD and Fallout in that department.

This is what I fear. Hopefully not.

They better hope to high heaven people still give a shit about Lara this time next year on PS4. 2016 is crazy with the amount of new titles coming through. A year old port may not be that attractive unless its cheap.

I can picture PC owners waiting for discounts and not exactly running out to buy the game day 1 either.

Not even slightly surprised. And I believe that the PS4 and PC versions will flop as well. It's a year old game when it comes out and people only remember "it didin't sell well on Xbone". DOA. I hope it's not RIP Lara.

This first "week" is only 2 days though, right? (Stores being closed on sundays)
Did we expect this to sell better than the first one? The first one being multiplatform on a VASTLY larger install base and not going against Fallout 4?

I don't really think they expected to sell 150k units in the first 2 days in the UK, if so they got the wrong people doing their predictions...

Larger install base isn't a very reliable crutch anymore when games sell upward of 80% on new gen, despite still having a far lesser install base than current gen.

Well considering sony themselves were saying that A lot of sony PS4 owners were 360 owners that never got chance to play Unncharted, and expected uncharted trilogy to do well. I would say that either uncharted is either a flop or Tomb raider did ok for launching the same week as Fallout, on a friday, compared to fallouts tuesday release.

Each to their own tho, I respect everyones opinion and it seems that a lot of poeple think it is a complete and utter failure for ROTR. :)

Lets see how it goes for the Xmas period I say

Don't forget "all my friends bought digital"...

I wouldn't be surprised to see this game getting bargain-binned in the coming weeks.

NightOnyx

That sucks. I mean I'm glad the game looks good, and I look forward to playing it in the future, but they really screwed up with the release on this one. Putting it out on the same day as Fallout, a week after COD, and a week before Battlefield is just dumb. It's only a few weeks after Halo as well, so it's not like you can really pull the exclusivity card as an excuse. It's a shame because good games deserve to do well, but it just seems like management screw up big time in many ways with this game.

Hasney

As a PS4-only player, I would have happily bought Tomb Raider while I waited for the Fallout bugs to be fixed. Instead, I just bought into the hype and got FO4. Just my two cents which may or may apply to others in the UK.

It still wouldn't have been a good decision, even multi platform. Fallout has just made it into the upper echelon of sales being the third biggest seller of the year and by quite a wide margin to Batman behind it.

Obviously it would have done better, but very few games would have survived unswallowed.

This is going to be competing with Square Enix's own franchises next year on PC. There's Deus Ex and Hitman, both which got started on PC.

This is going to be competing in the holiday season again on PS4. There will be games that haven't even been announced yet!

Mendrox

What? Rise of the Tomb Raider has been released?! I am quiet shocked cause I have heard no opinions or anything these past days. D: Shows you how many people have a Xbox One or rather play Fallout 4. Doesn't surprise me, but I liked Tomb Raider (2013) so I will gladly get Rise of the Tomb Raider for a 10er if it will release in its superior form on PS4.

Cheech

Launching right next to Black Ops 3 and Battlefront, two games with massive ad dollars, was also ill advised.

After playing the last TR game, for sure I would have been on board with a new one. But next to Fallout and Battlefront, two games I've been anticipating for years? Sorry, I'll wait until I have time, let alone cash to pick it up.

Well considering sony themselves were saying that A lot of sony PS4 owners were 360 owners that never got chance to play Unncharted, and expected uncharted trilogy to do well. I would say that either uncharted is either a flop or Tomb raider did ok for launching the same week as Fallout, on a friday, compared to fallouts tuesday release.

Each to their own tho, I respect everyones opinion and it seems that a lot of poeple think it is a complete and utter failure for ROTR. :)

Lets see how it goes for the Xmas period I say

I doubt SE and MS consider "well" here like Sony with Uncharted Collection :)

Has an exclusive deal like this (locking a 3rd party franchise) ever worked actually?

There's variation in the specifics on the nature of the exclusivity, but I'd say GTA3/VC/SA, Splinter Cell, and to a lesser degree Titanfall were probably successful for all the involved parties.

Besides GTA3 and its spinoffs, I can't think of a single situation whereby an established franchise becomes a console exclusive or timed console exclusive and benefits from it. Even GTA was predominantly associated with PS1 (and PC) beforehand, so the switch to timed PS2 exclusivity wasn't too much of a jump.

Sounds pretty good numbers to me. aren't those 2 of sony's biggest franchises. like the Biggest franchises now?

Yeah, but they're remasters so they're expected to sell far less than new titles. A new Tomb Raider's sales being comparable to their sales isn't anything to be pleased about.

It's UK only tho, could be doing better in other regions?

The only region this has a chance of doing better in is North America. It might post respectable numbers in a few of the larger European countries like France and Germany, but the Xbone is well out of the race in pretty much the rest of the world.

RedRum

Banned
Are these sales numbers worldwide or just UK? Can't tell if OP meant the news source was in the UK or if it was sales in the UK.

ZoddGutts

What a stupid comment. The game is well made, it selling poorly as a console exclusive on the weaker selling console against a multiplatform juggernaut means what, that it isn't a good game? What about when the PC release sells a lot and later the PS4? Will it be a good game then? FFS... Xbox One exclusives will sell less than third parties this Era. It's just a fact of the industry and the dwindling install base compared to last gen.

But was it really saved?

Hasney

Not in PAL. the UK is the country where the Xbox is most popular in that region.

TR is not going to sell a whole bunch in EU until the game is out on PS4/PC

XBox isn't most popular here. It's just doing well here compared to most places and PS4 is still beating it.

It's a shame but we all saw it coming. I have a PC/Xbone/PS4 and I just couldn't justify buying it when I have Fallout 4 to sink my teeth into and Battlefront this week.

I'll probably get it closer to Christmas maybe. Such a silly decision to launch it. Probably would of been better to release it in December alongside Just Cause 3 if they wanted to go head to head with someone. It would of least had a chance that way.

Wabba

I hope that SE realize that they cant charge 60 bucks for this game when there is going to be Xbox One copies for 25$ in a year. But they have not made the smartest business decision so far, so i bet that are going to release the "Game of the Year" edition with two unseen Lara Costumes and slightly crisper shadows for 60$.

Topfuel

Did MS actually promote the game? I have seen more Fallout 4 related promotions from Xbox One than of ROTR.

This title could have been a nice December title played over Christmas after all the hype for Fallout 4 had passed.

Releasing the same day as Fallout was a real terrible idea.

In the UK it didn't release on the same day. It released on Friday.

Fallout had several more days of sales in the UK as it was released on Tuesday.

I'm not suggesting they sold the same, nor defending Tomb Raider sales in any way. Just want to make it clear you can't compare like for like in this instance.

Crystal Dynamics may not be happy with the sales, but I'd hazard a guess that Square Enix won't mind as much. Despite the fact the game sold really well in the end, they weren't happy at all with early sales. They may have decided to take "guaranteed income" from MS in terms of exclusivity payment/marketing support, over the "potential payments" from a broader market.

I'd imagine though that sales will pick up quite a bit as those who initially bought F4 will eventually jump on ROTR too. January would be a better time to judge this one.

I know launching the same week as Fallout was a bit of a stupid idea, but I would have thought it would have sold a lot more than that. Hopefully for Crystal Dynamics it picks up over Christmas.

On a more selfish note and I know it won't happen, but I hope these poor sales mean it comes out on the PS4 sooner. I can't wait to play it.

novablue

Banned
100k combined. XB1 sold 39% of it, hence the 39k.

Thanks for the info, pretty sad but after the unity cluster, it makes sense.

I have two questions to ask you:

Has Capcom released the numbers for USF4 on PS4, because that's the only deal near comparable to the MS/Square deal?

Has any of the high profile Indie developers who came out and say they will not be supporting xbox release their numbers? Developers and games I talking about: Skull Girls: 2nd Encore, Assault Android Cactus, White Paper Games, Magikca 2 and Housemarque.

patapuf

XBox isn't most popular here. It's just doing well here compared to most places and PS4 is still beating it.

I meant that the the UK is the strongest region in europe for the xbox, not that the xbox is more popular than the PS4 in the UK.

If it's doing horribly in the UK, it's going to do even worse in Germany, France, Spain ect.

Not even slightly surprised. And I believe that the PS4 and PC versions will flop as well. It's a year old game when it comes out and people only remember "it didin't sell well on Xbone". DOA. I hope it's not RIP Lara.

maybe. if they pack in all dlc, & charge a bit below full price, maybe not...

Bousf

TR is now a victim of the stupid console war. Such a stupid, pointless deal they made, and the release against Fallout was the "coup de grace"

Wait for the PS4 version's first week to outsell the XB1 version's first week, one full year later (unless people simply stop caring and focus on 2016 releases, which would mean this game is going to sell tragically poor numbers)

I'm certainly getting my copy next year, I play on PS4 so I wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom