• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[UK] Xbox One S 500GB/1TB launch increase sales by 989%, PS4 Slim launch increase 22%

Their loss for a few weeks in one territory and their loss in another territory by a couple thousand? While i do think MS have a great marketing advantage right now, I don't really think Sony is particularly concerned about a threat MS could pose.

Every flood starts with a trickle. As I've said before, don't think I'm one of those people who thinks this signals some great reversal of fortunes. But at the same time, this is indicative that the years of all out Sony domination are seemingly over. They have to fight for their spot now.

Guymelef

And why did Microsoft have better mindshare last gen? Because their box was cheaper, they promoted their content better, they had more variety in SKUs aand made sure they kept adding features to their box.

Which is exactly what they have been doing this gen, only tenfold.

The UK has proved time after time after time again that price is king. The more value you are getting for your money, the better you do. Microsoft has consistently been adding value via bundless, trade in deals, pack ins, vouchers etc.

Sony will have the odd bundle and call it a day.

You could argue that you don't need to add so much value as the market leader, but that only works if you are consistently producing compelling content.

Sony has taken their foot off the gas, when they should of sank it into the floor. This is the result.

Edit: Seems like I've got my old tag back. Besides how petty and vindictive it shows certain admin/mods are, I am glad the people who who were clearly missing masturbating furiously everytime I posted have once again got something to get their rocks off. *Yawn*

Not sure if serious...

Every flood starts with a trickle. As I've said before, don't think I'm one of those people who thinks this signals some great reversal of fortunes. But at the same time, this is indicative that the years of all out Sony domination are seemingly over. They have to fight for their spot now.

Ok, you're serious...

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
UHD Blu Ray.

I know I bought one for it when I otherwise would not have.

Also Target deal and FIFA.

Welfare

Microsoft could take a page out of their 2008 playbook and drop the 500GB to £149 and they would sweep up the UK difference. They would never do it though because of profits but the UK is very price sensitive, that's why the PS3 couldn't keep up with the 360 since the 360 was always cheaper.

Congrats to MS. I'm interested to see how things shape up when PS4 Pro releases. As it is right now the PS4 Slim just isn't anywhere near as attractive as the PS4 Pro is in price. I'm sure that's intentional by Sony.

The King has returned....in the U.K.
The King? Only one console is worty of that name and and that's the PS2. Seeing it's a Sony brand I'll let you fill in the rest ;).

For those wondering.. Why buy a PS4 slim when PS4pro is around the corner and not only that, the PS4 OG is the much better looking console. Given the choise and you want one right now the OG is the way to go. PS4 slim has no added value. What would be more intersting is to see how X1 did vs PS4 (slim versions included)

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Er...i don't even think that's true either. Sony are still dominating. You said there will be no great reversal of fortunes, but there would have to be to stop Sony from expanding on the gap.

Even i think they botched their Pro marketing and the Slim is irrelevant for the price they have it at proportional to the Pro, but i don't think it means much in the long run for their fortunes.

Er...i don't even think that's true either. Sony are still dominating. You said there will be no great reversal of fortunes, but there would have to be to stop Sony from expanding on the gap.

Even i think they botched their Pro marketing and the Slim is irrelevant for the price they have it at proportional to the Pro, but i don't think it means much in the long run for their fortunes.

Being 66% down YOY is not dominating anything.

And what is Sony doing that convinces you that they will continue to expand the gap? Even if you don't believe things are going to be aback and forth or that Microsoft might catch up a bit, I feel there is very little to make people confident that Sony will continue to expand the gap between the two, especially with Nintendo jumping back into the fray soon.

NHale

And what is Sony doing that convinces you that they will continue to expand the gap? Even if you don't believe things are going to be aback and forth or that Microsoft might catch up a bit, I feel there is very little to make people confident that Sony will continue to expand the gap between the two, especially with Nintendo jumping back into the fray soon.

Are you speaking of the UK or Worldwide?

Scorpio is a year away. Any one who isn't brainless and wants a new ps4 is obviously waiting for the pro since its round the corner. That's more of a logical reason why ps 4 slim hasn't sold as well.

Guymelef

See you next week.

hatchx

Banned
I really don't know why anyone would buy a PS4 slim. I don't even know why they made it.

Everyone is either going to wait for the PS4Pro or a second hand PS4 if they can't afford it.

Inuhanyou

I really don't know why anyone would buy a PS4 slim. I don't even know why they made it.

Everyone is either going to wait for the PS4Pro or a second hand PS4 if they can't afford it.

They made it to have a cheaper PS4 OG option for them to manufacture than the old unit.

For one week? Dude.

Continue to bring out compelling games and new platforms like Pro and PSVR? What exactly are they not doing? And why bring Nintendo into it? Considering the fact that they are not even directly competing with the other two with NX.

How about the fact that the Xbox One S can't even beat the preorders of the PS4 Pro, a console that won't even be releasing for two more months, in either the US or the UK as of 4:30 pm EST Sept 29,2016.

Amazon US Top September Top 100
  • #4: PS4 $399.99 1TB PlayStation 4 Pro
  • #27: XB1 $299.99 500GB Xbox One S - Halo Collection Bundle
Amazon UK Top September Top 100
  • #7: PS4 £349.00 1TB PlayStation 4 Pro
  • #8: XB1 £249.00 500GB Xbox One S FIFA 17 Bundle
And this is in Microsoft's best territories. It only gets worse from there.

Lots of posters upset the X1s is beasting the charts and dominating the PS4 with its lacklustre game library.

Come on people, it's okay if the X1s wins one week, the PS4 will still be win the generation. You don't have to worry, your console of choice will still win the generation, even if it is the weakest one on the market by the time the next generation rolls around...

Inuhanyou

Lots of posters upset the X1s is beasting the charts and dominating the PS4 with its lacklustre game library.

Come on people, it's okay if the X1s wins one week, the PS4 will still be win the generation. You don't have to worry, your console of choice will still win the generation, even if it is the weakest one on the market by the time the next generation rolls around...

<_< Don't make this thread any worse than it already is with the trolling please.

How about the fact that the Xbox One S can't even beat the preorders of the PS4 Pro, a console that won't even be releasing for two more months, in either the US or the UK as of 4:30 pm EST Sept 29,2016.

It's a little unfair to compare the Xbox One S, which has a handful of bundles, to the PS4 Pro, which has a single bundle.
Plus the Xbox One S is regularly out of stock...

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Props to MS and all but I do wonder how people hail MS as the king returned when they have yet to win a single gen.

It's a half joke based in the truth.

The 360 was the best selling console in the U.K. last gen (I think it beat the Wii there too? I might be wrong there).

But maaaaaan looking at this thread, the Slim selling so well seems to really bother some people. Relax folks, it's not a big deal. Sony's market position isn't under threat. It's fine.

gamz

A lot of those Amazon bundles sell out fast. Esp the Halo bundle (which is currently not in stock). Once they restock it'll be in the top ten again. This has been going on for a week or two.

Welfare

In calculated news ...
Code:
>>> .71 / (1 + 9.89)
>>> .19 / (1 + .22)
>>> 0.065197 / (0.065197 + 0.1557377)
That makes Xbox one:pS4 market split for one week earlier 30:70.
And that was the PS4 slim launch. Wonder what it has been for the year so far excluding the last 2 weeks.

Bulby

Not surprised. Its a gorgeous console, great features and with some solid mass market exclusives coming out.

N.Domixis

Banned
Over? It's only just beginning. The worldwide gap will continue to increase.

Bizzquik

Wait, what?
GAF told me that only we Americans like the Seattle-based console?

Americans and the UK. Who lets face it, are basically our 51st state. ;)

I'd look at it the other way. We took their laws & legal system, their belief in capitalism, and their growing dedication to the separation of Church & State. In a lot of ways, we're like a united colony that never fully left.

....Besides, everyone knows that its Canada that is the 51st State. ;-)

I'd look at it the other way. We took their laws & legal system, their belief in capitalism, and their growing dedication to the separation of Church & State. In a lot of ways, we're like a united colony that never fully left.

....Besides, everyone knows that its Canada that is the 51st State. ;-)

We welcome anyone who wants to move after the election. bring your money.

It's a little unfair to compare the Xbox One S, which has a handful of bundles, to the PS4 Pro, which has a single bundle.
Plus the Xbox One S is regularly out of stock...

Here is a list of all the major hardware for Xbox and PlayStation...but that doesn't make it look any better for Xbox. There are MORE PlayStation products on each list than Xbox. By your own analysis, that means that PlayStation is doing even better than I stated by only showing the top one of each.

Amazon September Top 100
Major Hardware for PlayStation and Xbox

United States
  • #27: PS4 $223.20 500GB PlayStation 4 Bundle with Call of Duty Black Ops III - Black
  • #28: XB1 $299.99 500GB Xbox One S - Halo Collection Bundle
  • #52: PS4 $299.99 500GB PlayStation 4 Slim - Uncharted 4 Bundle
  • #68: PS4 $299.99 500GB PlayStation 4 - Uncharted 4 Limited Edition Bundle
  • #79: XB1 $399.00 2TB Xbox One S - Launch Edition
  • #80: XB1 $340.00 1TB Xbox One S - Madden NFL 17 Bundle
  • #96: PS4 $289.00 500GB PlayStation 4

United Kingdom
  • #36: PS4 £349.00 N/A PlayStation VR
  • #37: XB1 £299.00 1TB Xbox One S FIFA 17 Bundle
  • #42: PS4 £249.00 500GB PlayStation 4 Slim
  • #53: PS4 £232.99 500GB PlayStation 4 Jet Black Edition

A lot of those Amazon bundles sell out fast. Esp the Halo bundle (which is currently not in stock). Once they restock it'll be in the top ten again. This has been going on for a week or two.

PlayStation VR is sold out and PlayStation 4 Pro is only taking preorders right now. Both of those will only get more popular when they are actually released or are available. Besides, those limited bundles you mentioned selling out are limited for a reason. They aren't going to move the needle much with regard to overall sales. Meanwhile PSVR and PS4 Pro are extremely heavy hitters for Sony.

PlayStation VR is sold out and PlayStation 4 Pro is only taking preorders right now. Both of those will only get more popular when they are actually released or are available. Besides, those limited bundles you mentioned selling out are limited for a reason. They aren't going to move the needle much with regard to overall sales. Meanwhile PSVR and PS4 Pro are extremely heavy hitters for Sony.

What hardware isnt at launch? Its after all the hardcore buy it that we see whats what. VR im sure will drop like a mofo after the hardcore buy it. Hell, even kinect sold well at first. Doesnt mean shit.

gamz

Here is a list of all the major hardware for Xbox and PlayStation...but that doesn't make it look any better for Xbox. There are MORE PlayStation products on each list than Xbox. By your own analysis, that means that PlayStation is doing even better than I stated by only showing the top one of each.

Amazon September Top 100
Major Hardware for PlayStation and Xbox

United States
  • #27: PS4 $223.20 500GB PlayStation 4 Bundle with Call of Duty Black Ops III - Black
  • #28: XB1 $299.99 500GB Xbox One S - Halo Collection Bundle
  • #52: PS4 $299.99 500GB PlayStation 4 Slim - Uncharted 4 Bundle
  • #68: PS4 $299.99 500GB PlayStation 4 - Uncharted 4 Limited Edition Bundle
  • #79: XB1 $399.00 2TB Xbox One S - Launch Edition
  • #80: XB1 $340.00 1TB Xbox One S - Madden NFL 17 Bundle
  • #96: PS4 $289.00 500GB PlayStation 4

United Kingdom
  • #36: PS4 £349.00 N/A PlayStation VR
  • #37: XB1 £299.00 1TB Xbox One S FIFA 17 Bundle
  • #42: PS4 £249.00 500GB PlayStation 4 Slim
  • #53: PS4 £232.99 500GB PlayStation 4 Jet Black Edition

I'd hope so! LOL

Wiped89

Hmmm... that's tenuous. Just one country? That's more like return of the Earl maybe or Duke at a stretch...

The Wii was the best selling console in the UK for that gen. Gaf might hate it but damn pisses me off when people just ignore the facts.

Anyway, I can see why the Xbox One S is selling so well. I bought one, and I love it. Definitely worth the money and it's a much better prospect than a PS4 Slim.

The real fight will be against the PS4 Pro, which I'm sure will do very well. And to be honest, Microsoft has no answer to that until Scorpio next year, which might be one year too late.
Microsoft will sew up the lower end of the market and PS4 Pro will take the higher end. Will be an interesting year.

Welfare

The Wii was the best selling console in the UK for that gen. Gaf might hate it but damn pisses me off when people just ignore the facts.
After 2010 the 360 consistently outsold the Wii and passed it in June 2013. Xbox 360 sits at >9 million while the Wii is at ~8.5m.

It also passed the Wii in the US in October 2014.

What hardware isnt at launch? Its after all the hardcore buy it that we see whats what. VR im sure will drop like a mofo after the hardcore buy it. Hell, even kinect sold well at first. Doesnt mean shit.

The point is that the PlayStation 4 Pro is beating the 500GB Xbox One S at its launch just with preorders. The Pro is only going to get more popular at release. Oh, and now that the PS4 Slim is getting some good deals to compete with the Xbox One S, its sales will jump up too.

As for VR sales, they are going to do just fine. They sold out in record time. Even though it was limited quantities, it still points to PS VR being a hit rather than a fail as you suggest.

The headset was apparently sold out within five minutes of going live, which presumably refers to the final wave of pre-orders that went out shortly after E3 2016 a few months ago.

Strong Demand And Limited Supply Make PS VR Sell Out Faster Than Any Other Hardware Ever At GameStop

You should be embarrassed to post this, but obviously you are not. I want to believe this is just trolling, but it's hard to tell! OK this is trolling and you can't be serious.

When you don't sell that much a % increase is much larger

10->100
1000->1300

The biggest misconception is that because the ps4 has been outselling the xbox one, the xbox one has been selling poorly. Your logic actually applied to previous articles about how the ps4 has been selling twice as much as the xbox one.

What if the xbox one only sold 1000 units?

Kambing

Great to see Xbox recover somewhat... healthy competition can only mean good things for the industry. Regarding value proposition, i certainly feel the Xbox One S has the edge at the moment. At least from the perspective of last gen X360 gamers. The UHD drive and most importantly, the tri-fecta of software, Halo, Forza and Gears pretty much now all available. Whereas PS4 has really only launched one, albeit HUGE staple franchise with Uncharted 4... we are still missing Gran Turismo and GOW.

Perfect time to jump in for people still on last gen systems.

Chris R

Only person I know who has bought a console recently went for the S instead of waiting for a Pro mostly for the 4k Blu Ray player.

Which company has the rights for the Skyrim Remaster bundle? That's going to be the thing that does gangbusters this black friday

You're speaking about the UK right (just making sure)? Because WW, it's pretty likely that they'll continue to expand the gap as they have been doing (or maintain the percentage difference if your into percents).

But I do think it's a bit premature to act is if one week is suddenly Sony fighting for their spot.

One console increased the sales by a little over 900% due to the release of its new revision which resulted in about a 70% marketshare for the week. That will normalize of course but that also gives you a pretty good idea where the console was before the boost.

I'm not seeing it personally.

etta

my hard graphic balls

TmSdS.jpg

Top Bottom