• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV on PS4 is much, much better now. Bless.

Edzi

How is it broken though? Names mess up online, there's a bit of lag (unnoticeable to someone who hasn't played in a few years) and loading times are slow. This game is about as broken as Bloodborne was at launch haha

The problem here is that all yall seem to be unable to distance from the competitive mindset.

I'm not a serious fighting game player, but I trust the collective opinion of the community. By all accounts, this seems to be the worst version of the game available as it currently stands, and I know that if I was going into this series for the first time I would definitely not want to play this version, especially considering the way its release was handled.

I guess it sorta boils down to a matter of principle.

Shame on us for expecting the game to function similarly to every other release.
I mean that's completely understandable, and it makes sense that you wouldn't want to buy it then. But I would definitely recommend it to anyone who wouldn't be able to notice those extra frames of input lag, because outside of that the game plays well and will likely be patched soon.

I'm not a serious fighting game player, but I trust the opinion of those who play professionally. By all accounts, this seems to be the worst version of the game available as it currently stands, and I know that if I was going into this series for the first time I would definitely not want to play this version, especially considering the way its release was handled.

I guess it sorta boils down to a matter of principle.
I guess I represent a small portion of gamers, but if people like that guy were looking forward to it, they really shouldn't let this news turn them away.

Skilletor

I mean that's completely understandable, and it makes sense that you wouldn't want to buy it then. But I would definitely recommend it to anyone who wouldn't be able to notice those extra frames of input lag, because outside of that the game plays well and will likely be patched soon.

Except it's not just input lag. Characters don't move or act right, the game has random invisible projectiles, characters warping through each other, and tons of other random shit.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
How is it broken though? Names mess up online, there's a bit of lag (unnoticeable to someone who hasn't played in a few years) and loading times are slow. This game is about as broken as Bloodborne was at launch haha

The problem here is that all yall seem to be unable to distance from the competitive mindset.
it's broken because it IS a competitive game period and it's not functioning as intended, there are unintended changes to the way some moves behave, there's a massive input lag and that's just what we know after like 48 hours. just because you don't know how to drive a car doesn't mean that car will pass inspection.

Except it's not just input lag. Characters don't move or act right, the game has random invisible projectiles, characters warping through each other, and tons of other random shit.
I've been playing this game for two days now, and I've literally never experienced anything like that. So even if it happens, it's not game breaking. I mean geez the Witcher 3 does stuff like that too, and it ain't broken.

Skilletor

I'm totally with you here, but based off what you quoted, this is a strawman.

My bad for speaking on behalf of the 'competitive mindset,' since it's silly to assume that's the only people a shitty version of this game affects.

I've been playing this game for two days now, and I've literally never experienced anything like that. So even if it happens, it's not game breaking. I mean geez the Witcher 3 does stuff like that too, and it ain't broken.

Then we have different standards, as not knowing how my character will react when I do a move fundamentally changes the way a fighting game plays. Even the chance that I'll miss an fadc combo because my character will teleport through them changes my decision making and strategies I'll use.

Jomjom

Banned

I guess I represent a small portion of gamers, but if people like that guy were looking forward to it, they really shouldn't let this news turn them away.

This game is all about input precision. It's not like God of War or something where you just mash buttons and win. You can't say outside of input lag it plays well because that input lag is the cause of it not playing well.

This game is all about input precision. It's not like God of War or something where you just mash buttons and win. You can't say outside of input lag it plays well because that input lag is the cause of it not playing well.
The input lag is about the same as it was on PS3. If you play it without coming straight out if another version, the lag isn't noticeable. Except in menus. You can still time combos.

Uraizen

Banned

Well, it's a combination of all of these:

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2015/...ng-these-ultra-street-fighter-4-ps4-glitches/

If you're okay with those, especially the Juri pinwheel making the game go nuts, then go for it.

thelastword

Banned
Wow, pretty good, just as I figured, the first patch should be here in quick order. I hope they add AA and AF and fix the laggy menus in this one, that should be easy enough.

At the moment, some menus have more lag than others. On the main menu, if you hit arcade mode it goes to the second string of menus pretty quick, if you allow ranked matches/fight request whilst in the arcade menu, it will take at least 3-4 seconds from the time you hit the x button before it activates and places you on the character select screen. Of course as we all know, once at the character select screen it's super laggy. If you don't have fight request on, the arcade menu is pretty quick till it gets to the character select screen where it's laggy just the same.

Versus mode runs solid enough throughout until you get to the character select screen where it gets laggy.

Network battle takes 3-4 seconds to register from selecting it or hitting x at the main menu, once you're in network battle all the options in there are pretty fast and standard fare.

Training mode is just like arcade mode in that if you select fight request to on, it will take 3-4 seconds for your input to register taking you to the character select screen, which is as laggy as in other instances (seems to run at 30fps for some reason).

All the other options on the main menu seems to run fine.

In my opinion, two things can be at fault, loading their netcode plus matchmaking in the menus where's it's an option is causing the lag. As it stands, the matchmaking system is not working well and there's quite a bit of lag online. The lag you get online doesn't always seem to be network related, it's like some of the lag from the menus transition over to online play. So you may ask, why does the character select screen still lag when I don't choose fight request?

Every character select screen has a button configuration button ontop, so I'm thinking that's where the lab zero drivers kick in to a certain degree. I'd wager there's something wrong with the driver and that it is the main culprit for all the lag in the game or it's a double whammy where it's a combination of the matchmaking plus the driver that's causing the lag issue. The driver may not have been tested properly, especially if it was only implemented in the day one patch.

Perhaps Sony should just patch in native PS3 stick support into their firmware and make the whole process easier and less problematic....even though, I understand why they may not want to do so, based on their own business prospects and that of their stakeholders. (The FGC has so many people to share the pie with).

In any case, just some thoughts. I'm looking forward to see what the patch brings with it and what explanations are made with it, hope the patch is good. If this thing sees a quick turn around, I'd be most delighted and at least Ocean can breathe a small sigh of relief. Hope all goes well and that they nip this in the bud.

Uraizen

Banned
I've been playing as Juri online all day and haven't had that happen haha

I feel like most people are getting unfair impressions of how this game plays. The glitches are all extremely rare outside of the name display one.

Watch the last video, he makes it sound like he can replicate it each time.

93xfan

Banned

in no way did they accomplish what they set out to do. It's a shame of a port and it should be considered broken.

Am i mistaken or are you trying to defend this mess of a game?

Imm0rt4l

I'm curious as to what the first patch will cover. I still doubt that they'll have this up to snuff by EVO.

Like the barrel and the car game? I just finished all of her trials too, although I guess that would decrease frequency.
Oh my bad I meant trials. I have no idea if anyone else has been able to replicate that video/gif but it was during trials iirc.

AmyS

<light-hearted joke>

I'm surprised I've not seen anybody question if this version was really native 1080p, lol.

93xfan

Banned
The input lag is about the same as it was on PS3. If you play it without coming straight out if another version, the lag isn't noticeable. Except in menus. You can still time combos.

I've been playing as Juri online all day and haven't had that happen haha

I feel like most people are getting unfair impressions of how this game plays. The glitches are all extremely rare outside of the name display one.

USF4: It's Not That Bad Casual Edition Hyper Fighting!

But this game isn't garbage for everybody lol

Mmhmm. Buying a new computer for the sole reason of playing a rerelease of a fighting game instead of just buying it on my PS4 makes a lot of sense. Never mind that I haven't noticed any problems with the game outside of random UI glitches.

You should be buying a new computer for a whole myriad of reasons if an 8600GT is stronger than your current laptop.

On top of that - no, it's not an okay purchase. For anyone. Your personal experience doesn't make up for the masses reporting problems with the game. And telling people to get out of the competitive mindset when buying the game... For what reason? Very few people buy the game for single player and even fewer buy it without any competitive play whatsoever in mind. Competitive play is the life blood and bread and butter of Street Fighter.

Also, the Witcher 3 comparison is daft. A brand new open world AAA RPG having a few visual glitches, crashes, etc is a lot less "broken" then a fucked up port of a fighting game from 2008.

Onemic

I'm curious as to what the first patch will cover. I still doubt that they'll have this up to snuff by EVO.

Oh my bad I meant trials. I have no idea if anyone else has been able to replicate that video/gif but it was during trials iirc.

Im thinking the menu lag and the username bug. Maybe a few of the audio bugs. I highly doubt many of the graphical glitches and bugs will be fixed and I know the input lag won't be touched. Then of course you got the animation bugs, FADC bugs for certain characters, the mediocre netcode vs the other versions...(but maybe thats due in part to the increased input lag)

On top of that - no, it's not an okay purchase. For anyone. Your personal experience doesn't make up for the masses reporting problems with the game.

Also, the Witcher 3 comparison is daft. A brand new open world AAA RPG having a few visual glitches, crashes, etc is a lot less "broken" then a fucked up port of a fighting game from 2008.

So those of us who haven't experienced problems with the game, our personal experiences don't matter, huh? Just because you say it isn't an okay purchase, doesn't mean it isn't an okay purchase for anyone. Obviously there are people who are not experiencing these problems.

And by the way, Ultra Street Fighter 4 was not released in 2008. It was released in 2014.

Imm0rt4l

Im thinking the menu lag and the username bug. Maybe a few of the audio bugs. I highly doubt many of the graphical glitches and bugs will be fixed and I know the input lag won't be touched. Then of course you got the animation bugs, FADC bugs for certain characters, the mediocre netcode vs the other versions...(but maybe thats due in part to the increased input lag)
Yeah its likely the more cursory issues. I can't help but feel that the fact that they have a patch ready to submit means they were already working on a patch/knowingly released an unoptimized mess. This generation...

Onemic

Yeah its likely the more cursory issues. I can't help but feel that the fact that they have a patch ready to submit means they were already working on a patch/knowingly released an unoptimized mess. This generation...

This wouldnt surprise me either. Probably wanted to get it out the door to reach their deadline so they can make that money.

chemicals

Some heads should roll for this. The PS4 aint cheap, and PS4 sales are so freaking good that every game should be the definitive edition. We've seen cross-gen stuff for generation after generation and there's no reason why the PS3 version of a game should perform better than the PS4 version. It's complete nonsense.

Jomjom

Banned
So those of us who haven't experienced problems with the game, our personal experiences don't matter, huh? Just because you say it isn't an okay purchase, doesn't mean it isn't an okay purchase for anyone. Obviously there are people who are not experiencing these problems.

And by the way, Ultra Street Fighter 4 was not released in 2008. It was released in 2014.

Everyone's game is running on the same code, on the same closed system. What do you mean "Obviously there are people who are not experiencing these problems"? There are people who either don't care about the problems or are too casual to notice, but everyone's experiencing them. Everyone's PS4 version of the game is running with the 8 frames of input lag. You're "experiencing" that for sure, you just don't care because you're a casual player where probably any number of frames of input lag wouldn't matter. Doesn't mean we should support it.

I'm not going to pop in Skyrim on PS3 and tell people hey the game's perfect go buy it! I'm not experiencing any problems at all because I'm used to playing games that run at 5 FPS normally and therefore Skyrim's crappy framerate looks amazing to me! It's just you guys that are experiencing the bad framerates!

Just because my wife can't tell that Witcher 2 is barely able to run on my laptop with a GT555M GPU doesn't mean it would ok for her to tell others the game runs amazing on anything and everything.

VariantX

screenshot_2015-05-285tqel.png

Godspeed everyone involved, lol at "some" though.

Yeah, the input and menu lag issue would be inherent to every copy of the game. Its just that "some" people wouldn't notice it.

Korezo

I hoped the entire game would be redone. At least have graphics like the pc version and add the extra pc graphic effects as a option. But even if they fix the frames and bugs this will never be defenitive version with these terrible ass graphics.

Majority seem to be having issues. A few saying otherwise don't suddenly improve the port quality, nor does it invalidate the issues.

Ultra is a $15 DLC for Street Fighter IV. Theres no sense in arguing semantics

explodet

I win as Hugo and the announcer never acknowledges my victory.
Then he gets mad for being ignored and slams the camera down to the ground.

Seriously though, the netcode ain't great, I think I can count the number of smooth matches I've had on one hand.

Seriously though, the netcode ain't great, I think I can count the number of smooth matches I've had on one hand.
My experience with the netcode is that is on par with 360. I play with my friends, most of them are local, green bars, and a pretty damn good connection. It may have only been 3 other people, but we had well over a hundred smooth matches, I dont have enough hands to count that high.

Top Bottom