• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unannounced Platinum Game Coming to E3 (IGN)

This is one of the worst ideas I've ever seen. Metroid Prime is the closest thing to Super Metroid in 3D. As much as I love Viewtiful Joe and Bayonetta...no, just no. Platinum is not the group to make an ominous exploration game.
IN Super Metroid boss battles weren't boring, and Samus didn't control like a tank (let alone have boring upgrades). So no it's not close, the only thing they got right was exploration but even given that too much time was spent on scanning.
Metroid isn't a good fit for Platinum; Team Ninja already tried a more combat focused approach and look how that turned out. Metroid is about mood and exploring, and Retro is the best studio for that.
And they limited the action to the d-pad which was a terrible decision. Made it too automodey (plus other m's other faults mostly being Sakamoto's fault).

Zomba13

Metroid isn't a good fit for Platinum; Team Ninja already tried a more combat focused approach and look how that turned out. Metroid is about mood and exploring, and Retro is the best studio for that.

The action and gameplay of Other M isn't what makes the game shit. It's the story and character assassinations (and the stupid pixel hunt segments).

AdanVC

Yeah no way it's gonna be a Metroid game. At this point and considering how badly in terms of sales the two PG exclusives for Wii U did, I'm sure they might actually skip the U this time if the game turns out to be multiplatform. Hope I'm wrong because I would love to see more PG games on Wii U :(

Would be interesting to see Platinum try their hand at an epic action-adventure title like Okami again, backed by an illegal amount of money from some publisher crazy enough to do it.

Either that or MGR2.

pirata

Wait

VJ was Clover, not Platinum.....why wouldn't IGN use Bayonetta or something

I noticed that as well. No way it's an accident. Only people who really know what's up know that Clover, a subdivision of Capcom a decade ago, broke off to become Platinum. Could Capcom has licensed Viewtiful Joe to Platinum, or could it suggest they're developing something along the same vein, perhaps a 2D game? This is really weird, and a good sign that E3 will be at least a little interesting this year!

Other M's problems can all be laid squarely at Sakamoto's feet. He's the one who insisted on limiting control to Wiimote only, he's the one responsible for Samus's embarrassing character development, etc. Team Ninja had very little to do with Other M's shittiness.

And Platinum is a much better developer than Team Ninja anyway.

Folks raising a ruckus about the notion of a Platinum-developed Metroid game: spend a few minutes with the Samus costume in Bayonetta 2 (complete with Morph Ball and Screw Attack, as you would know if you've bothered to play it). It feels marvellous; it's probably the best that Samus has ever handled in the third person, and more than that, it is absolutely true to how the character played in the 2D games.

No, Platinum doesn't have any established record of the kind of quiet, freeform exploratory design that is the core of the Metroid experience. I understand the concern. (Though to be fair, there is Clover's history of that kind of design with Okami, but the one respect in which I thought Okami fell far short of its Zelda inspiration was that the 'dungeon' design lacked a certain logic-puzzle element that we've come to expect from Zelda/Metroid world construction, and which Retro handled admirably in the Prime games.)

But there's the way that a Metroid environment is designed, and there's the way that Samus actually plays. And something that we shouldn't overlook about the series is that the eerie, solitary exploration stands out in contrast to encounters of high intensity. There's a certain dread going into a big fight and a great relief when you pick up the missile/energy refills after you're done. I think Platinum-style combat would fit in beautifully here: it isn't exactly clear what the Metroid analogue to combo-based medals would be (other than speed), as the rewards in a Metroid game don't scale with performance that way, but it isn't hard to imagine alternative systems to take its place.

I'm not against the idea at all. I know a lot of people feel burnt from Other M, which was announced to great excitement when Team Ninja enjoyed a similar reputation to Platinum's now, but the problems with Other M were largely with the flatness of the world design and the bland imitation of western narrative conventions. As a translation of the pure agility of 2D Metroid into 3D space, its shortfall was that the space you were playing in was only nominally 3D, and that the combat system was severely restricted by the limitations of the sideways Wiimote. With better game flow and world design, I would absolutely welcome Platinum's expertise in combat fundamentals to the series.

Of course that world design is a challenge in which the studio is as yet unproven, but really, is there anyone in the industry we would fully trust with this? Part of why Metroid has retained its prestige is that hardly anyone has ever captured its sense of intricacy. I don't see why Platinum is in a worse position than anyone else to tackle the assignment. But I'd be prepared to trust them at least as far as with a Samus that plays exceptionally well.

The main reason I don't expect this to happen is that I think Nintendo was as burnt by Other M as everybody else. Which is a shame, because I think there was a certain promise in Other M's fundamental concept of a 3D third-person Metroid that feels as slick as the 2D series. I don't think the question of how Samus ought to control in a 3D space is a settled one, not yet, and again, I say that as somebody who adored Prime.

Nibel

I mean I get what the issues of Other M are, but still think that a combat influenced approach isn't right for the franchise.

This will be Rising 2 and it will be glorious.

73V3N

Banned
Can't wait for the meltdowns
AU7Amsc.gif

Of course that world design is a challenge in which the studio is as yet unproven, but really, is there anyone in the industry we would fully trust with this? Part of why Metroid has retained its prestige is that hardly anyone has ever captured its sense of intricacy. I don't see why Platinum is in a worse position than anyone else to tackle the assignment. But I'd be prepared to trust them at least as far as with a Samus that plays exceptionally well.

Of course, Retro. They are arguably the top world builders and level designers in the industry, which are the most crucial aspects of designing a Metroid game.

TDLink

Once again, I just don't think MGR 2 makes sense. It did a few months ago, but now that Konami is pulling out of traditional video games and Kojima isn't involved I just don't think that project is actually happening.

Instro

Well for one Team Ninja sans Itagaki is garbage, and they were further hamstrung by Sakamoto. Platinum can certainly make a better game, regardless of whether it is combat focused or not.

Having said that, Other M was a fiasco so I doubt Nintendo is ready to hand the keys to that franchise to anyone other than EAD or SPD/Retro.

HYDE

Banned
Retro will be announcing Metroid if anyone methinks.

Platinum will have Scalebound and release a sequel to one of their (not Capcoms) established games, is my other guess.

Xiraiya

Guys, what if Konami now just uses Platinum Games to continue the Metal Gear series?

What the hell, why not.
I mean if Konami is going to do everything in it's power to kill the franchise off in the most disappointing way imaginable and release shit that won't be canon anyway, why not let it at least go out in style?

METAL GEAR SOLID 6
Hype Combat Action That Doesn't Matter But Is Fun

Of course, Retro. They are arguably the top world builders and level designers in the industry, which are the most crucial aspects of designing a Metroid game.

Well, I thought it was rather too obvious to mention, but sure, I'll give you that. Tropical Freeze was enough to prove that however much their personnel has shifted around, they're still the best environment artists in the business.

I'd have to admit that the prospect of a Retro Metroid is more appealing than a Platinum Metroid; all I mean is that the latter is still promising in its own way. And a part of me doesn't want the studio locked to that series for eternity any more than I would want them locked to DKC (in spite of having made the very best DKC). Then again, it's been a while, and in practice it's not like I would complain.

Top Bottom