• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 preview thread. New footage/info

Joystick

lol this shows both the good and not so good instances in the animation

I assume you're referring to the floating foot it's not poor animation at play here but (in my opinion) a touch too far in Uncharted's typical leniency with falling off ledges - great when you want to make that epic jump but too much if you simply want to drop off.

When I demoed The Last of Us to a friend one of the first things he said was how good the animation was. This is certainly stepped up some more in UC4.

Another animation example - didn't quite push him off the ledge.

kwD8d9l.gif

IIRC ND said that there is over 2hrs of animation in UC4.
I would have really liked to see Nathan trip instead of floating. Other than that, the animation itself looks fantastic!

SomTervo

Yup, I hope Crushing's enabled from the start, because I'm jumping in right from there. Somewhow I feel UC4's Crushing is going to be the real deal like TLoU's Survivor instead of past Uncharted's "You are annoyingly fragile now and nothing else".

No way, man. I'd rather get as many fresh replays as possible. I'll be playing on Hard first then Crushing for my second playthrough/once i'm familiar with the levels.

Brutal would be a bonus in that light.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
It's starting to feel kind of close.

On Amazon I have the standard game preordered and the limited edition console. My bundle shows May 10 delivery but the game is showing arriving April 26 still lol. I know it won't actually ship but I'll still wait to cancel it even if there's the tiniest chance it happens. But it won't.

Crushing is bearable for Uncharted veterans.

Brutal can get on your nerves tho...
Just seems like a good way to make your first playthrough of Uncharted a really frustrating experience with how tedious you're gonna be with your super fragile health and dying over and over again in encounters you're not familiar with, and ultimately resorting to some cheese tactics.

I feel like Hardbis gonna be the sweet spot, just like the last of us. Challenging enough to force you to use the mechanics correctly, but not so annoying that it makes you angry with the game on your first playthrough when you're trying to experience the story.

Just seems like a good way to make your first playthrough of Uncharted a really frustrating experience with how tedious you're gonna be with your super fragile health and dying over and over again in encounters you're not familiar with, and ultimately resorting to some cheese tactics.

I feel like Hardbis gonna be the sweet spot, just like the last of us. Challenging enough to force you to use the mechanics correctly, but not so annoying that it makes you angry with the game on your first playthrough when you're trying to experience the story.

I think even Hard is risky with narrative heavy shooters tbh. You hit a poorly designed encounter/section or a wild difficulty spike and suddenly you lose track of the wider experience as your brain goes into "Did anyone playtest this nonsense" mode and the previous good 30 minutes get pushed out of your head.

Or maybe that's just me.

1st time on Normal and I'll pump the difficulty in subsequent playthroughs. looool @ Crushing on the first playthrough. Nevah

I'm going straight to a crushing, melee only playthrough just to get the flow of the story and then I'll start cutting off digits for subsequent playthroughs

No way, man. I'd rather get as many fresh replays as possible. I'll be playing on Hard first then Crushing for my second playthrough/once i'm familiar with the levels.

Brutal would be a bonus in that light.

I think even Hard is risky with narrative heavy shooters tbh. You hit a poorly designed encounter/section or a wild difficulty spike and suddenly you lose track of the wider experience as your brain goes into "Did anyone playtest this nonsense" mode and the previous good 30 minutes get pushed out of your head.

Or maybe that's just me.

1st time on Normal and I'll pump the difficulty in subsequent playthroughs. looool @ Crushing on the first playthrough. Nevah

Weak-willed peasants, the lot of you!

Or maybe that's just me.

I agree in theory. The more you die, the more the larger experience disappears and it's just becomes this gamey thing you're trying to overcome. Which is cool in like bayonetta or dodonpachi or metal slug x or whatever, but less so when you're trying to get into this narrative heavy experience.

SomTervo

Tell that to the hand who's beaten the ND collection on Brutal and TLoU + Left Behind on Grounded!

The last encounter in Left Behind on Grounded remains the most challenging videogame experience I've ever had. Must have taken me 40+ tries.

And it was fun even up to the very last attempt. What a fucking game.

Or maybe that's just me.

Didn't happen in Uncharted 2 or TLoU. Mainly the same team on this one, so I doubt it will happen on this.

It did happen with UC1 and 3, but those are not the same calibre as 2 or TLoU.

Wakka212

Yeah I had a sliver of health and no supplies for a health kit for the whole hospital section. Shit was intense.

Same for me until I tried escaping from Rilgar Sewers in R&C on hard last night. Goddamn that was difficult!

Anyhow I cannot wait for this thing. They picked the perfect sections to show so far - across all 3 demos they have given a clear idea of how this game will play without spoiling much.

jett

D-Member
Another animation example - didn't quite push him off the ledge.

kwD8d9l.gif

IIRC ND said that there is over 2hrs of animation in UC4.

Of all of the animation I've seen of this game, this is the one where I'm thinking like that's just too much LOL. Literally no developer ever bothers giving AI that kind of animation. Nice.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I keep on noticing new stuff:

smacked.gif

I'm excitedly anticipating this game :)

Sniper reload:

sniperanimation.gif

Just imagine the brutality in TLoU2 with all this animation talent.

May 10th yet?

Kept telling myself, keep the anticipation and excitement in check, you have MLB16, R&C, did not play through the Drake Collection yet to see it remastered, still have yet to play Wolfenstein just sitting there, along with Shadow Warrior, etc., etc., ... I go and come torture myself with these new gifs.

If one series gets me glued and ignoring all other games, etc., it is this one.

Loving all these new gifs. That animation is some next level shit right there. Naughty Dog really are in a league of their own when it comes to making games. May 10th needs to hurry up.

Also with the incredible looking Ratchet & Clank arriving on PS4, I would love to see ND go back and do a new Jak & Daxter on PS4 now, with this kind of animation it would look insane.

gamerMan

Loving all these new gifs. That animation is some next level shit right there. Naughty Dog really are in a league of their own when it comes to making games. May 10th needs to hurry up.

Also with the incredible looking Ratchet & Clank arriving on PS4, I would love to see ND go back and do a new Jak & Daxter on PS4 now, with this kind of animation it would look insane.

I am pretty sure if Naughty Dog made a cartoony game, we would finally have something that rivaled Pixar quality graphics. It will never happen though.

SomTervo

I am pretty sure if Naughty Dog made a cartoony game, we would finally have something that rivaled Pixar quality graphics. It will never happen though.

I would definitely never say never. They are at the peak of their game and they're not going to stop making titles any time soon. They still hold on to Crash and J&D's IPs too, right?

(Or at least, Sony wouldn't say no to reviving them.)

Just imagine the brutality in TLoU2 with all this animation talent.

May 10th yet?

Kept telling myself, keep the anticipation and excitement in check, you have MLB16, R&C, did not play through the Drake Collection yet to see it remastered, still have yet to play Wolfenstein just sitting there, along with Shadow Warrior, etc., etc., ... I go and come torture myself with these new gifs.

If one series gets me glued and ignoring all other games, etc., it is this one.

The Last of Us 2 will most probably feature realistic-life-like animations. I can't imagine it but I know ND will surprise us.

If only I had a copy of Ratchet and Clank; Brits have to wait for another week.

Don't torture yourself mate, play through your backlog.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
The Last of Us 2 will most probably feature realistic-life-like animations. I can't imagine it but I know ND will surprise us.

If only I had a copy of Ratchet and Clank; Brits have to wait for another week.

Don't torture yourself mate, play through your backlog.

I keep getting tempted to watch some let's plays but I remain strong! (so far ...)

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I would definitely never say never. They are at the peak of their game and they're not going to stop making titles any time soon. They still hold on to Crash and J&D's IPs too, right?

(Or at least, Sony wouldn't say no to reviving them.)

Jack and Daxter is Sony's but, as far as we know officially, Crash Bandicoot is still an Activision property and has been for over a decade now. But Sony has been teasing Crash quite a bit in recent times.

*nods in agreement*

I just want to look cool and make full use of all the mechanics and weapons the first time through. I'd much rather leave the cover hugging, optimal weapon combos, pro strats, and lots of deaths for when I know the maps and know what to expect. Because by that point I'm removed from the narrative and emotion of the script/set-pieces, and can play it as a more mechanic focused experience. Higher damage also slightly discourages the reckless abandon I enjoy in Uncharted.

So yes, #SAWFTboyz

Raiden

Banned
I'm excitedly anticipating this game :)

Sniper reload:

sniperanimation.gif
Reminds me of that RE4 sniper reload. Man this game looks great. I have so much respect for Naughty Dog. Their games just feel and look like such quality work. Also Uncharted and The Last of Us are the only games my girlfriend likes to watch me play. So they're doing something right.

Ratchet & Clank is already very close and knowing how ND can push PlayStation beyond what you would normally think it could do, they would be very close to that level I'm sure.

*nods in agreement*

I just want to look cool and make full use of all the mechanics and weapons the first time through. I'd much rather leave the cover hugging, optimal weapon combos, pro strats, and lots of deaths for when I know the maps and know what to expect. Because by that point I'm removed from the narrative and emotion of the script/set-pieces, and can play it as a more mechanic focused experience. Higher damage also slightly discourages the reckless abandon I enjoy in Uncharted.

So yes, #SAWFTboyz

Yeah first playthrough on normal for me. I just don't want to die and ruin the momentum of the level design, the pacing, or the story. It's all about that reckless freedom punching up some dudes Indiana Jones style during a gunfight and then hang shooting for the style points.

UC2's train on crushing was tough lol I would always get a little annoyed at myself for dying cheating myself out of the natural flow of that level. But when you go without dying that whole section is exhilarating.

#SAWFTboyz life

Top Bottom