• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 review embargo lifts May 5 at 12 AM PST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me too -- it should be a good litmus test to see if it can differentiate itself from other third person shooters like The Order and Quantum Break that have failed to break the mold in any way, instead falling into several hyperlinear trappings.

He gave both 2/5, so it would be interesting to see his opinion on how Uncharted 4 compares.

I would enjoy reading his opinion too. I think some games are just of a level of quality that cannot be denied. (Not literally. There is ALWAYS an outlier out there, but I mean besides the wacky outliers like Quarter to Three and Derrick and such.) Uncharted 2, while not a perfect game, has always felt to me like one of those timeless masterpieces that basically embody joy in video game form. To me it has been beyond cynicism and fanboyish bias and so on. It's just so fucking well paced, well designed, well written, well presented that I feel like it wins over almost everyone willing to give it an honest chance. There are a few games I like better, but other than maybe some of the Marios I can't think of one that is so universally perceived as awesome.

Maybe 4 will be the same; maybe not. I'd love to find out, and Gerstmann would be an interesting data point. I haven't found 3 or TLoU as having that kind of appeal for example.

Ratchet and Clank disagrees.

How did Ratchet and Clank get an 86 on metacritic then?

Ok, first of all, one counter example does not invalidate my point entirely, so try not to name drop a single game as if it's a drop the mic moment, lol. Secondly, Ratchet and Clank is a series that literally committed suicide after being on a high streak. Barely anyone liked or cared about All 4 One, Full Frontal Assault, and the painfully short Into the Nexus. People were just happy to have the series back again doing what it does best in a full release. Uncharted 3, the previous and semi-recent entry in the series, was just as true to what made Uncharted great as the rest of the entries. Your comparisons fall flat.

kaskade

I believe it's going to be regarded as the best in the series. Sure it had its delays but that's why. ND didn't want to release something they weren't happy with. From everything I've seen of the game they didn't seem to show too much off. There's got to be a lot they are holding off on. And the stuff they did show looks great. The semi open world sections with the 4x4 looked like fun and a good evolution of the gameplay we've come to love.

hawk2025

I would enjoy reading his opinion too. I think some games are just of a level of quality that cannot be denied. (Not literally. There is ALWAYS an outlier out there, but I mean besides the wacky outliers like Quarter to Three and Derrick and such.) Uncharted 2, while not a perfect game, has always felt to me like one of those timeless masterpieces that basically embody joy in video game form. To me it has been beyond cynicism and fanboyish bias and so on. It's just so fucking well paced, well designed, well written, well presented that I feel like it wins over almost everyone willing to give it an honest chance. There are a few games I like better, but other than maybe some of the Marios I can't think of one that is so universally perceived as awesome.

Maybe 4 will be the same; maybe not. I'd love to find out, and Gerstmann would be an interesting data point. I haven't found 3 or TLoU as having that kind of appeal for example.

Exactly!

What I've seen so far personally makes it seem like it does in fact avoid the trappings that made QB/TO1886 feel so... small and outdated, despite both being great tech showcases.

But it would be nice to see if that is indeed the case for the full game. The gameplay of the multiplayer beta makes me think it's a yes, but I'm not certain the new ideas and openness of encounters of the campaign will work out 100% well.

I think with the new large install base of the PS4 and the high marketing efforts and the word of mouth from good reviews, this may be ND's best-selling game yet. I think it's going to break expectations.

I think it NOT selling better than all other ND games to date would be a surprise and disappointment. As you said, good marketing, big install base, hopefully good reviews, established strong series... and, don't forget, the relative drought big budget exclusives... they're essentially a perfect storm of sales opportunity.

Oh, and don't forget that the genre is strangely lacking in great games. It's not even a saturated genre unlike most.

Honestly, the only way to miss it is the game isn't all that good (by the standards of the series). It's definitely a possibility, despite the strong impressions so far, but I'm feeling optimistic this time.

Ok, first of all, one counter example does not invalidate my point entirely, so try not to name drop a single game as if it's a drop the mic moment. Secondly, Ratchet and Clank is a series that literally committed suicide after being on a high streak. Barely anyone liked or cared about All 4 One, Full Frontal Assault, and the painfully short Into the Nexus. People were just happy to have the series back again doing what it does best in a full release. Uncharted 3, the previous and semi-recent entry in the series, was just as true to what made Uncharted great as the rest of the entries. Your comparisons fall flat.

What about Bloodborne?

DayEnder

He might be and if he did it would probably be a low score especially if you take in to account that he hated TLOU.
But, I'm guessing Brad is the one reviewing the game.

Whoever it was that reviewed it didn't hate it. The GOTY edition on the previous page says so.

Quick photoshop gets lost in the last post of the previous page. Curse you time machine, you had one job.

I don't have much experience with the souls series on the whole. All I can try and say in regards to Bloodborne is it introduced a more gothic setting as opposed to the more Medival knight-y stuff of Demons. That might be wrong, I don't know.

Well, it's a new IP with a different gameplay balance approach. And even the general Souls style hasn't been around long enough for people to feel like it's stale.

Don't get me wrong... it'll get there too.

I have a good feeling about it. It'll get like a 95, and there will be like 1 7/10 that everyone will flip out about for the next year.

93 minimum.

I'd like to point out that when I say reviews might be affected by "been there, done that" syndrome, I'm not talking about all or even a lot. A select few are entitled to and will probably feel that way. Considering the number of reviews a game as big as Uncharted 4 will bring it, chances are high I think this will be the case. I'm not insinuating that the entire review pool will be blasting Uncharted 4 for not being completely different.

I'd like to point out that when I say reviews might be affected by "been there, done that" syndrome, I'm not talking about all or even a lot. A select few are entitled to and will probably feel that way. Considering the number of reviews a game as big as Uncharted 4 will bring it, chances are high I think this will be the case. I'm not insinuating that the entire review pool will be blasting Uncharted 4 for not being completely different.

I'm sure you're right. Familiarity breeds contempt. You'll especially see it in the next Uncharted, which will be done by non-Naughty Dog (allegedly). When a long-running series switches developers, reviewers IMO subconsciously are less likely to maintain great scoring averages, all else being equal.

I'm sure you're right. Familiarity breeds contempt. You'll especially see it in the next Uncharted, which will be done by non-Naughty Dog (allegedly). When a long-running series switches developers, reviewers IMO subconsciously are less likely to maintain great scoring averages, all else being equal.

RIP Batman: Arkham Origins

Ascenion

I don't get the supposed freak outs that would happen over a 7/10 or such, or less than a 90 meta. People act like Naughty Dog only put out GOTY contenders when they really don't. They only have two standout super great titles: Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us. The first Uncharted was an 88, Precursor Legacy was only a 90, Crash 3 a 91 the latter two Jak titles mid to high 80s. Now I love Naughty Dog, they've made some of my favorite games, but I'm not going to pretend they are Rockstar or something where damn near everything was life changing/ 95+. That isn't them. They are a superb studio with an occasional flash of true brilliance. They are a consistent studio but the body of work is overwhelmingly high 80s low 90s.

Whoever it was that reviewed it didn't hate it. The GOTY edition on the previous page says so.

Quick photoshop gets lost in the last post of the previous page. Curse you time machine, you had one job.
Patrick Klepek reviewed it for Giantbomb and he loved it but during the GOTY podcasts Jeff made it well aware how he felt about the game.
Dan Ryckert is reviewing it.

Cool.

I wonder if some people will hold off on a score until they play the MP on live servers.

I can see this being a 77/100 game. I can't imagine it getting more than mid 80s.

I think we are starting to move past this genre of game in general.

I hope not. And LOL at 77. I know another hyped game in same genre just scored that low, but it had nothing to do with genre fatigue...

DayEnder

Patrick Klepek reviewed it for Giantbomb and he loved it but during the GOTY podcasts Jeff made it well aware how he felt about the game.

Self quote. I was referring to Uncharted 4 GOTY. :)

I dunno who to believe now. The GOTY Edition box art reviews make it sound better than a 77/100 game.

ezNL4wq.jpg

sjay1994

Do review scores even matter anymore?

I feel like with most of these big games, people will buy them regardless, and review scores are only used to confirm peoples biases.

GravyButt

Does anyone have a site that gives me a good story read on the first 3? Im actually playing them now but my buddy cant be bothered to play them. I told him id look it up but im afraid to actually spoil 1-3 myself now that I think about it. Maybe if someone could link me thatd be cool? Or pm me a link? Thanks!!

Do review scores even matter anymore?

I feel like with most of these big games, people will buy them regardless, and review scores are only used to confirm peoples biases.

Have you seen what happened to The Order 1886? It seems like positive review scores and word of mouth are the most important things a game can have for it to succeed in sales.

kyser73

Does anyone have a site that gives me a good story read on the first 3? Im actually playing them now but my buddy cant be bothered to play them. I told him id look it up but im afraid to actually spoil 1-3 myself now that I think about it. Maybe if someone could link me thatd be cool? Or pm me a link? Thanks!!

Tell him to come to this thread, highlight then copy & paste this into Google:

Uncharted 1-3 story synopsis

That should sort him out.

I don't get the supposed freak outs that would happen over a 7/10 or such, or less than a 90 meta. People act like Naughty Dog only put out GOTY contenders when they really don't. They only have two standout super great titles: Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us. The first Uncharted was an 88, Precursor Legacy was only a 90, Crash 3 a 91 the latter two Jak titles mid to high 80s. Now I love Naughty Dog, they've made some of my favorite games, but I'm not going to pretend they are Rockstar or something where damn near everything was life changing/ 95+. That isn't them. They are a superb studio with an occasional flash of true brilliance. They are a consistent studio but the body of work is overwhelmingly high 80s low 90s.

88, 96, 93, 95. Since they switched to this genre they have been killing it. High expectations are completely justified.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Anyone else not going to read reviews and go in blind?

I know it's hard considering we're all GAF people, but you'd be suprised how pure it makes your experience.

I know it's hard considering we're all GAF people, but you'd be suprised how pure it makes your experience.

I hardly ever read reviews first. I look at scores, but that's about it. I don't want to be spoiled have someone's else's experience influencing my own too much.

Have you seen what happened to The Order 1886? It seems like positive review scores and word of mouth are the most important things a game can have for it to succeed in sales.

Maybe for a new IP without a huge marketing budget or betas.
Reviews really don't mean as much as WOM now.
Reviews also have less effect on a IP that has been around a while .
As for UC4 i don't expect it going to be less than 93 .

oti

Banned
People I know have played through the game and they told me it's
flawless

I'm expecting tons of 10s.

I've had to stay away from reviews/spoilers from better call Saul season 2, zootopia, jungle book, captain America 3, and Keanu - which I saw last night and then watched the review for.

With Uc4 though, maybe because of a bias and personal expectations I'm probably gonna look at reviews first (even though I have the $47 regular version, Ps4 bundle, and collector's edition all preordered) - I think it's also just because gaming is a pretty expensive hobby.

Elandyll

Banned
I can see this being a 77/100 game. I can't imagine it getting more than mid 80s.

I think we are starting to move past this genre of game in general.
Obviously everything is possible, but RotTR got an 86, and with what I've seen UC4 has the potential (again, not saying it necessary will) to blow it out of the water.

Ascenion

88, 96, 93, 95. Since they switched to this genre they have been killing it. High expectations are completely justified.

I have high expectations. My range is an 87-92. I just think expecting a 95 is a bit too lofty. If you average all of those together it's a 93. It's a 50/50 shot imo to break 95 and the odds are against them.

This is a very strange post. They are literally the most critically acclaimed developer of the last generation. In a space of 6 years, they put out TWO consensus GOTYs, another 90+ game, and a high-80s debut. Oh, and this includes starting two new IPs during that time. Oh, and not a single shit-the-bed game.

Over the past generation, they have absolutely become competitive with the best critically acclaimed studios, Rockstar, Bungie, Blizzard, Bethesda, BioWare, VALVe.

Now, you can say that their games aren't as sprawling as others', or that some of the recent games were seen as disappointing by some (really that would only be U3), but in terms of critical acclaim your post makes little sense... at least if we start at the last console generation.

sjay1994

Yeah, but no one is expecting this game to be a trainwreck. The order was already seeped in tons of bad press from the mediocre showings at press events, etc. Honestly, I think the reveal of the games length killed most of the purchase interest people had with it, in a similar way evolves purchase motivation died when they called the game "a platform for DLC".

I ask because of games like Quantum Break, Division, Dark Souls 3, etc. All those games had different review scores, but they all sold rather well. People looked at the DS3 scores and went "well, duh of course the game is good", while things like Division and Quantum Break recieved mixed reviews, despite most of them being positive and still sold well.

Like its rare to see a game that is panned across the board now a days. I feel like the overall quality of game releases has increased, and the amount of betas and publicly available information has put reviews on a lesser scale of influencing purchases.

The seem more influential on indie game purchases, since those tend to be relatively unknown to the general consumer unless constantly promoted like No Mans Sky.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I hardly ever read reviews first. I look at scores, but that's about it. I don't want to be spoiled have someone's else's experience influencing my own too much.
You don't believe that looking at scores can influence your expectations when you sit down with a game?

You don't believe that looking at scores can influence your expectations when you sit down with a game?

It might influence my general expectations, but it won't make me like a game any more or less. Unless it is a game I am on the fence about I don't want to read another person's in-depth thoughts on individual gameplay mechanics, narrative etc before I experience it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom