• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 review embargo lifts May 5 at 12 AM PST

Status
Not open for further replies.

DayEnder

Can you change TEEN to TEN? lol

I certainly can.

FOTADf5.jpg

Same. Always found the Uncharted games really boring to play. Pretty, though.
i think the shooting can get really boring. I got into the series in the second game and what I liked most in terms of gameplay was the platforming.

the shooting felt like just waves and waves and too much of it.

Moze

Banned
i think the shooting can get really boring. I got into the series in the second game and what I liked most in terms of gameplay was the platforming.

the shooting felt like just waves and waves and too much of it.

The platforming is awful and by far the worst thing about the games. It's pretty much automatic platforming and involves no skill at all.

Hopefully that aspect of the game is fixed for this game.

I hope they fixed the gameplay/shooting mechanics in this one. If they do, i will give it a whirl. I played a couple of hours of U3 before dropping it

Well, the original release of Uncharted 3 had a huge aiming bug, where essentially the aiming was really clunky and broken, although not to an unplayable degree (even though the same problem didn't exist in multiplayer, amazingly). After a few weeks GAF got ND to fix it up, but it had to be enabled as "Alternate Aiming" in Options, and they never made it the default in the original Uncharted 3 (an absurd decision).

Thankfully good aiming was applied to all 3 games in the remaster collection.

Just a heads-up.

In any case 2 is widely seen as the best game in the series. If that still doesn't do it for you, even after you play through the glorious action levels of Nepal, then I suppose there's nothing I can say that will change your interesting opinion.

Frozone

No way this game is going to average 80s with the hype train behind it. It'll be low-mid 90s for sure. MGS5 all over again..

The platforming is awful and by far the worst thing about the games.
No it isn't. The shooting is.
It's pretty much automatic platforming and involves no skill at all.
So what? That doesn't mean it's not fun to play. Especially with those gorgeous graphics.
Hopefully that aspect of the game is fixed for this game.
I would say it needs improving but not fixing. Hell everything about anything could use improvements.

reKon

Banned
Ok, first of all, one counter example does not invalidate my point entirely, so try not to name drop a single game as if it's a drop the mic moment, lol. Secondly, Ratchet and Clank is a series that literally committed suicide after being on a high streak. Barely anyone liked or cared about All 4 One, Full Frontal Assault, and the painfully short Into the Nexus. People were just happy to have the series back again doing what it does best in a full release. Uncharted 3, the previous and semi-recent entry in the series, was just as true to what made Uncharted great as the rest of the entries. Your comparisons fall flat.

Okay... so you're wrong, but won't admit it. I've been saying that typically great series have been still getting great scores, despite reviewers being much harsher. Fallout 4 (even though it didn't deserve it, IMO), Witcher 3, Dark Souls 3, Super Smash Bros Wii U, Bloodborne... All receiving great review scores. Where's the fatigue there? As long as it's a high quality, legitimately great game, it's going to put up great scores. UC4 gameplay has been greatly enhanced and that was it's main criticism in the past.

A relatively early embargo like this bodes well for the quality of the game. So we can be quite sure it's at least decent. Whether it's great time will tell.

No way this game is going to average 80s with the hype train behind it. It'll be low-mid 90s for sure. MGS5 all over again..
fallout had some pretty goodass hype behind it and it got an 88.

that didn't matter of course coz it still sold like a million copies in the first day!

Defcon_2Fast4u

Neo Member
I feel like ign will give it a 10, and so will dozens of other outlets, but Polygon and Gamespot will hold back and try to find every fault in the game, so that they could give it a 8 or 8.5 or even a 9, and try to justify it.

Now if the game is a 8.0 at launch, then well see them give it a 6 or even a 5.

I just find that to be the way it will be.

Daft Punk

Banned
Not really interested in the game at all, but I can't wait to see the reviews and thread.

Same here. No interested in the game (and yes I own a PS4). But you can bet that I'll go through the review thread in search of a glorious meltdown.

Same. Always found the Uncharted games really boring to play. Pretty, though.

Opinions and all but really? These are some views to take. Wanting to see meltdowns and coming into a thread to basically say the game is boring? Good grief.

Moze

Banned
No it isn't. The shooting is.So what? That doesn't mean it's not fun to play. Especially with those gorgeous graphics.I would say it needs improving but not fixing. Hell everything about anything could use improvements.

The shooting works well for me. People exaggerate how bad the shooting is in the Uncharted games. GTA 5 has shit shooting mechanics. Uncharted has functional shooting mechanics. I agree that they can get a bit too heavy with the amount of enemies sometimes.

I would argue that Uncharted doesn't even have platforming. Whatever they put in the game cannot really be described as platforming. It's that bad. I don't even remember it being possible to fail at the platforming in the game.

Opinions and all but really? These are some views to take. Wanting to see meltdowns and coming into a thread to basically say the game is boring? Good grief.
I don't quite understand it either. If there is a game that doesn't interest me, I just avoid it in general. There are too many games I do care about to be bothered with those I don't.

Floody

The shooting works well for me. People exaggerate how bad the shooting is in the Uncharted games. GTA 5 has shit shooting mechanics. Uncharted has functional shooting mechanics. I agree that they can get a bit too heavy with the amount of enemies sometimes.

I would argue that Uncharted doesn't even have platforming. Whatever they put in the game cannot really be described as platforming. It's that bad. I don't even remember it being possible to fail at the platforming in the game.

It definitely is possible to die during them (It's what like 90% of my deaths came from), though it was usually due to Drake either not grabbing the ledge or me just jumping the wrong way.

I didn't say there were bad shooting mechanics. I explained why I liked it the least in terms of uncharted gameplay and that's because of the amount of enemies, like you said at the end. The platforming works well for me for the most part.
I would argue that Uncharted doesn't even have platforming.Whatever they put in the game cannot really be described as platforming. It's that bad. I don't even remember it being possible to fail at the platforming in the game.
okay so then what do you call the parts of the game where you climb and scale parts of the environment?
It's not a good score either.
77 is a pretty good score. 80s score is really good, and 90s+ is critical acclaim.

MGS V is a fantastic game, one of the most brilliantly designed overall gameplay systems I've ever experienced.

The problem is its narrative choices. I think many reviewers just didn't tend to care about this as much as many hardcore MGS fans, myself included.

I have no issue with MGS V receiving such high scores. If anything, I think there was prejudice against MGS with its previously cutscene-dominated linearity; it certainly felt like after MGS 4 there was much backlash. If V were like 4, it would have gotten critically mauled. V was a huge reinvention, and critics responded positively to it. It got great scores despite the series it was in; it overcame its own baggage critically.

My prediction is lots of 10s, an 8 and maybe a 7 from Eurogamer and/or Desructoid, totaling to a 91 average, then 2 months after release threads and articles popping up about how it wasn't that good/gave in to hype/overrated, etc.

oti

Banned
QB scored 77 not 50... 77 is not a bad score.

I feel like the score was "bad enough" to hurt sales to a significant degree. If there were 9s or 10s all around (or just a healthy 80) people would have bought it even if they felt it could be too short or whatever. Here in Germany retailers are already selling the QB bundles for 250€.

My hype for Uncharted 4 has reached Mario/Zelda/Mass Effect levels of hype I can't wait!

DayEnder

I liked it, thus nullifying your opinion.

Thanks. I figure most people won't get a few (possibly many) of the references on there. The Ice Cube one is super obscure, but I wanted a random celebrity endorsement and a song intro reference in the same line. One in million might recognize it (probably from Office Space).

Hwoar

My prediction is lots of 10s, an 8 and maybe a 7 from Eurogamer and/or Desructoid, totaling to a 91 average, then 2 months after release threads and articles popping up about how it wasn't that good/gave in to hype/overrated, etc.

I'm interested in the mgs V articles. I don't think that will happen with Uncharted 4 though.

How long did it take for people to start saying that Uncharted 3 at 93 was overrated and not that good?

reKon

Banned
For the people commenting on shooting mechanics, have you actually played the beta? We already know how the shooting is so I'm not sure why there would be anymore concern.

How long did it take for people to start saying that Uncharted 3 at 93 was overrated and not that good?

This is GAF where things tend to be greatly exaggerated. I can't count how many people were trying to suggest that Uncharted 3 and Bioshock Infinite were terrible games...

Like seriously, grow up.

alright let's see...the graphics are amazing, i don't think it'll lose points there. the length of the game on average is said to be at least 10 hours right? so it shouldn't lose points for being short.

i guess if we compare it to its predecessor, it's the story, pacing, and general delivery/execution that got the naysayers going and even then it still came out to universal acclaim.

there's always going to be people saying [insert acclaimed product here] is overrated. people say star wars is overrated, breaking bad is overrated, bloodborne is overrated, game of thrones is overrated, etc.. that type of criticism is always going to be there so you just really need to decide for yourself if you're gonna let it affect you and if you do, you still need to formulate your own opinion and decide if it lives up to your hype and anticipation or not.

nib95

Banned

Hype doesn't mean much these days, see Quantum Break, The Order 1886, Halo 5 etc. And MGSV is incredible up to to where Kojima no doubt ran out of time and money with Konami, hence why the second half is so much less accomplished than the first. Uncharted 4 isn't likely to have had that same issue, instead they actually delayed it to make sure it was up to snuff.

alright let's see...the graphics are amazing, i don't think it'll lose points there. the length of the game on average is said to be at least 10 hours right? so it shouldn't lose points for being short.

i guess if we compare it to its predecessor, it's the story, pacing, and general delivery/execution that got the naysayers going and even then it still came out to universal acclaim.

Length is more like 14+ hours.

there's always going to be people saying [insert acclaimed product here] is overrated. people say star wars is overrated, breaking bad is overrated, bloodborne is overrated, game of thrones is overrated, etc.. that type of criticism is always going to be there so you just really need to decide for yourself if you're gonna let it affect you and if you do, you still need to formulate your own opinion and decide if it lives up to your hype and anticipation or not.

I still think Uncharted 3 is an amazing game even though I do think the final act was a bit disappointing. Same for Mass Effect 3 with the letdown ending. I don't let other people decide what I like.

silva1991

Thanks. I figure most people won't get a few (possibly many) of the references on there. The Ice Cube one is super obscure, but I wanted a random celebrity endorsement and a song intro reference in the same line. One in million might recognize it (probably from Office Space).

I don't know why, but it took me a while to get what TEN meant :p

Pretty much instantly upon the game's release.

- Aiming issues were immediately discovered and became a huge point of contention.

- That the game was disappointing as a follow-up to 2 was a pretty common response.

Similarly, GTA IV got backlash quite quickly.

In comparison, MGS 4 got a very enthusiastic reception for a long time -- around here at least -- and even won GAF GOTY that year. It actually took years for the MGS4-was-a-huge-fail narrative to form; my hypothesis is that it's a few vocal people responsible for it -- whereas the MGS4 fans, which are everywhere, just lack the energy to keep the defending the same stuff.

For the people commenting on shooting mechanics, have you actually played the beta? We already know how the shooting is so I'm not sure why there would be anymore concern.

Well, technically, there was no aiming issue in Uncharted 3's beta either, but then the single-player game inexplicably had a huge aiming fuckup that took weeks to fix via an Options menu toggle.

However, presumably the odds of that happening again are very low. Still, it does give one pause, doesn't it? How can something like that happen?

BTW, the Uncharted 3 aiming problem did get fixed, but ND never explained how it could happen. Their narrative remained, essentially, this: "We didn't know there was a problem; literally no one complained during play-testing; the aiming is just like in Uncharted 2; we did change it for you though, because you complained." That has always been quite interesting to me. Still one of those bizarre mysteries I'd love explained one day.

Moze

Banned
It's not a good score either.

77 is a great score and I can see this game becoming a 77/100 game.

I don't know in what world 77/100 isn't good.

I didn't say there were bad shooting mechanics. I explained why I liked it the least in terms of uncharted gameplay and that's because of the amount of enemies, like you said at the end. The platforming works well for me for the most part.

Fair enough. I often hear people calling the shooting mechanics in Uncharted awful and thought that is what you meant. I do not think the shooting mechanics in the games are amazing, but they work well enough.

okay so then what do you call the parts of the game where you climb and scale parts of the environment?

I call those parts the automatic climbing parts.

Fair enough. I often hear people calling the shooting mechanics in Uncharted awful and thought that is what you meant. I do not think the shooting mechanics in the games are amazing, but they work well enough.

7.7 is a great score on IMDB. It's a slight above-average score on Metacritic when it comes to games. Unless you believe just about every major release is a great game. If you can see Uncharted 4 being a 77 game then you haven't been paying attention!

which still falls under at least 10 hours, and goes along with my point =]

Eh I guess. But it was worth being more precise. 10 hours would make it like Uncharted 2 and 3. 14 hours makes it easily the longest in the series, which people will consider a big positive for the game. That's an important distinction.

I think you're just being difficult.

The average score is 70. That's you going to GameStop and picking up a game at random. That'll rate about 70. Is the average game good? IMO... no. Most of those games are generic lameness... and I'm not some uber-critical guy that calls games shit easily.

77 is better than that, but it isn't all that much better. It basically means it's one significant step up from your average drivel that gets put out all the time. Is that "great"? No, it is not "great." Being somewhat to the right of dead center of the bell curve is not "great."

Moreover, it is a question of expectations. People want a singular, spectacular game from ND, because ND is known to deliver such experiences from time to time. 77, assuming it is a fair score of course, suggests it is nowhere close to that.

So not only is it not "great" in absolute terms, it's also WELL short of expectations. It's like saying Michael Phelps placing 10th in the Olympics is a great result. Yes, it's very impressive he's even in the Olympics... if he were some average guy... but it isn't fucking great, dude.

Moreover, if we consider what kinds of games get 75, 80, 85, and 90, it is perfectly clear to everyone that a 75 does not constitute a great game. It might be enjoyable, competent even, but it is rare that someone plays a 75 game and thinks to themselves "wow, what a great game!". I'm not saying it's a dead-set rule but just on average it's true.

If you're being completely honest with yourself, you'll know that essentially 90s are A, 80s are B, and 70s are C. MAYBE you can claim that perhaps the B range extends as far down as 75... but even then a 77 is, like, a B-. Is a B- "good"? I suppose so. "Great"? No. It isn't.

I still think Uncharted 3 is an amazing game even though I do think the final act was a bit disappointing. Same for Mass Effect 3 with the letdown ending. I don't let other people decide what I like.
yeah, if Uncharted 3
had a boss fight
I would've considered it a better game than Uc2. The lack of that is the only thing I felt it didn't do better than Uc2. If
Nate shot that bottle, unleashed the jinni,
that is what I was expecting.

I wouldn't say it's great. An 87 is great but a 77 is still pretty good.

na I never really had a problem with the actual shooting mechanics. sure they can use improvements but like I said virtually everything can use those. and I'm sure Uc4 will have em.

lol to each their own, I think this is just a testament to just how much you hate it

gamerMan

In the beta, you play against human opponents and it runs at 60FPS. This is not representative of the single player game. It won't be as smooth. For me the biggest reasons Uncharted shooting mechanics suck is because of the terrible suicidal AI and lack of response to bullets. I want to see some real improvement in the AI where it behaves like human players in the beta.

Loris146

In the beta, you play against human opponents and it runs at 60FPS. This is not representative of the single player game. It won't be as smooth. For me the biggest reasons Uncharted shooting mechanics suck is because of the terrible suicidal AI and lack of response to bullets. I want to see some real improvement in the AI where it behaves like human players in the beta.

Good luck with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom