• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 review embargo lifts May 5 at 12 AM PST

Status
Not open for further replies.
This game..that review

dayum6sxfd.gif

Someone replace the burger with a copy of UC4.

For me, a great single-player story-driven game is almost never too long. In a film, there is a natural limit: you can't just sit in the cinema for 6 hours. But a game you can always put down and pick up the next day. A feeling I LOVE is when it feels like the game is close to ending, and then suddenly you enter an amazing new area and suddenly realize you've got another huge chunk full of gameplay left. This happens all too rarely, unfortunately.

An important predicate for this is that the game needs to be good. If the game is only okay, making it longer doesn't help matters.

The reverse happens all the time, sadly. "Wait... that's it?" after waiting for years... it sucks. I think Uncharted 3 had this; not because it was particularly short, but because, like, the first half was a linear walk-a-thon/run-a-thon (Syria section excepted).

NateDrake

What about enemy markers etc.. Do you recommend disabling them?

The markers aren't forced on you, so it is really up to the player. If you want to avoid conflict and go stealth, you'll need the markers.

Uploading a ton of multiplayer footage to YT tonight - though I can't share it until next week.

A relatively early embargo like this bodes well for the quality of the game. So we can be quite sure it's at least decent. Whether it's great time will tell.

Game will be GOAT-tier masterpiece for ND. Looks great, plays great, PS4 doesn't have many top games yet so something needs to break out as the killer app, etc. This one is going to be big time for PS.

Floody

That's way longer than expected, but I'm definitely happy about that, haha

So does anyone want to discuss OT titles? I have a few I came up with and one another GAFer gave me, but I'm totally open to suggestions! I've been having a tough time deciding what to name it.

Here are the ones I've got so far:

Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End |OT| One Last Adventure
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End |OT| Drake’s Delay
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End |OT| Back In the Game After Months of Delays
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End |OT| Raiders of the Lost Art

Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End |OT|"Sully, this really is The Last of Us"
I'll be shocked if someone hasn't already made this stupid joke

Memento

Cross posting from the other thread. Impressions from a gaffer that is already playing the game! I consider it spoiler-free, but if you are absolutely avoiding everything, stay away then!

Some background before I dive into impressions so that you know my tastes. I am a gameplay first guy, you will find me argue gameplay over story all the time. That said I love a good story, just not at the expense of gameplay. My second favorite series is MGS because even though it has a huge story the gameplay is always top notch.

I am a huge fan of Naughty Dog and this series in particular. I think Uncharted 2 is one of the greatest games ever made and I maybe in the minority here but I think it's NDs best game, better than TLOU. I understand why TLOU is so loved but I am more of an action guy, I love action movies, I like the constant action uncharted gives than the more slow pace of TLOU. Why is U2 so special, because the pacing is pretty much perfect. They took the gameplay from the first and added vertical combat, the moving around the battlefield sets it apart from other TPSs. It's one of those near perfect sequels. U3 was more of the same but just felt like a bad copy with worse pacing, still great but it's not U2.

Ok now you know my stance on the series, I played about 4 hours and there was almost no combat yet I didn't care. The storytelling side is just so damn good, this is movie quality stuff. There is no difference between real acting and these virtual characters, every bit of body language and facial nuance is picked up, I am watching actual acting and I am so invested in this story. I already love these characters but this feels more like they are actual humans than some characters in an action movie, it's so compelling. I wouldn't mind watching uncharted 4 the movie it's so good.

That said it's still a game, interactivity is why this medium exists and I found myself engaged at the cool ways they present the story. I felt like I was in a David Cage game with the level of detail these environments have and the way you can explore. It's kind of what U3 was going for in some of those boring moments but this is done right. There is one moment that had me geeking out so much, you guys that played the game will probably know what it is. While it's doing all this the game is teaching you all the mechanics so it serves as a tutorial as well. I think it works so well because it does all this in so many different locations and situations and the story is always moving forward. Can it be boring in multiple play throughs, maybe, but I think if you power through it can be done very fast.

I took my sweet time because my jaw was on the floor at basically everything. This is without question the most beautiful game ever made. The level of detail present is staggering. Photo mode has loads of options and I spent a good hour just taking pictures of random plants, I couldn't help myself.

At some point though the game had to get going and I played through the first major action chapter and holy shit the action is incredible!! First thing you will notice is that shooting feels great, finally some weight to the bullets, it feels right. The game introduced the new stealth mechanics and it works like most every game with guards that get suspicious and go alert. The area I played wasn't large but it had multiple paths to take, to either hide or shoot. It's so great to have these options as it makes replaying each section a blast, I didn't mind dying.

One time I got seen so all hell broke loose, I jump out a balcony to reposition, guards were following, they are coming from all sides. I am playing on hard and these guys seem relentless. I was jumping into another room, they were jumping right after me. I turned and smashed one guard into a wall, took his gun, jumped out a window shot some guys from outside, jumped back in and went into hiding. Guards lost track of me so I was able to sneak up on some and snap some necks. In one area I got caught and like 5 guards came out so a huge firefight broke out. I died so the next time I didn't get caught and killed the three guards on patrol, no backup, no firefight. So that's the level of changes you can expect to see depending how you play.

In terms of AI they seem smart enough, they flank, take cover, use grenades. I think they lose track of you a bit too easily and they seem to go right back to their normal patrol. This is not MGS level sneaking here; I tried to shoot out some lights and that didn't work. Doesn't matter cause it's mostly about the action and this section ended in a massive scripted shootout. The environment was crumbling around me, I am rolling all over the place trying to get better weapons while avoiding fire. The music is pumping and it is AMAZING, my cover is being torn to shreds, my palms are sweaty, it's everything a great action sequence should be and it wasn't really a big setpiece, it was just a great firefight. If this game keeps this up it’s going to easily be the best game in the series.

This game feels special. It's definitely uncharted, mechanically most of it is the same but the refinement with the better shooting, alert states and larger areas make it feel like a true step forward from Uncharted 2. The story, graphics and presentation are at a whole different level. Man I can't wait to get out of work and play more tomorrow.

Ishan

Not concerned about this anymore Der early nineties . Highly doubt uc2 or fat 5 levels but would legit be shocked if it went under 80 meta wise

That's way longer than expected, but I'm definitely happy about that, haha

So does anyone want to discuss OT titles? I have a few I came up with and one another GAFer gave me, but I'm totally open to suggestions! I've been having a tough time deciding what to name it.

Here are the ones I've got so far:

Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End |OT| One Last Adventure
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End |OT| Drake’s Delay
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End |OT| Back In the Game After Months of Delays
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End |OT| Raiders of the Lost Art

Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End |OT| Sic Parvis Magna
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End |OT| For Libertalia
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End |OT| One Last Time...
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End |OT| Pro Deus Qvod Licentia
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End |OT| Wild Hog Crew

Gurish

97 meta for a AAA game this gen, I'm just not seeing it. Last gen? Sure. I guess we'll see.

Even last gen it was extremely rare, only GTA4 with 98 (complete joke) and GTA5 with 97 did it, and we are talking about a gen where reviews standards were "game works- 90", high scores were handed like candy, this gen I think that even GTA6 won't reach this MC.

Wow, 15 hours is nice.

I really want to play through all the Uncharted games someday. I'm waiting for the collection and Uncharted 4 to go down in price. Then one day I'll buy all of them and play through them in a month. It'll be my adventure month.

97 is insane.

At a bare minimum, it needs at least 60% 10/10 scores from all outlets, an average of 90-95 from everyone else, and at most 5% of outlier 7 or 8s.

97 is insane.

At a bare minimum, it needs at least 60% 10/10 scores from all outlets, an average of 90-95 from everyone else, and at most 5% of outlier 7 or 8s.
Yeah, as an average (I know metacritic uses weightings but still) that is near impossible to obtain. If they do it I'll be shocked.

92-95 would be my guess.

I'm going 91.

I have no idea what the game is like, so it's like a number out of the sky.

I think it's gonna be received well, but not that well. 'That' ofcourse referring to people who think it'll get a 97 metacritic. Kinda insane.

I'm going 91.

I have no idea what the game is like, so it's like a number out of the sky.

I think it's gonna be received well, but not that well. 'That' ofcourse referring to people who think it'll get a 97 metacritic. Kinda insane.

97 is highly improbable, but if it really is better than TLOU then it might be worthy of that score.

DKHF

I'm sticking with my 94 prediction from this thread, though I could still see my prediction in the 10 games 10 scores thread of 92 happening. If it reaches 96 or above that would be incredibly impressive. There will probably only be a couple of other games (if any) this gen that reach that.

Blueingreen

Even last gen it was extremely rare, only GTA4 with 98 (complete joke) and GTA5 with 97 did it, and we are talking about a gen where reviews standards were "game works- 90", high scores were handed like candy, this gen I think that even GTA6 won't reach this MC.

Super Mario Galaxy 1-2 scored it in the 97 region (well deserved too) Uncharted 2 came close...really close it's at 96 I'm still amazed at that.

97 is highly improbable, but if it really is better than TLOU then it might be worthy of that score.

What is 'better' than TLoU?

It's so different tonally, I don't even think they're worth comparing. But that's just me.

I just think it'll end up 91. It's not got a GTAIV style reviewers event thing. And I think some will always be put off, by funny-man Drake, killing hundreds of people. It's gonna come back to that.

That's totally ignoring whether or not it's paced like 2 or 3. But its not like reviewers noticed 3 was completely mediocre.

Gurish

Super Mario Galaxy 1-2 scored it in the 97 region (well deserved too) Uncharted 2 came close...really close it's at 96 I'm still amazed at that.

Oh you are right, forgot about it.

Why you are amazed by U2's MC? if Skyrim and other games reached it (again last gen it wasn't rare to get 90+, and it was more possible to get 95+ as well) than Uncharted 2 is surely deserves it as well.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
What is 'better' than TLoU?

It's so different tonally, I don't even think they're worth comparing. But that's just me.

I just think it'll end up 91. It's not got a GTAIV style reviewers event thing. And I think some will always be put off, by funny-man Drake, killing hundreds of people. It's gonna come back to that.

That's totally ignoring whether or not it's paced like 2 or 3. But its not like reviewers noticed 3 was completely mediocre.
I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on this point after playing. ;-)

Tratorn

If I would play it save, I would say meta will be 75 - 100.
But since that is boring, I'll make a bold prediction and say it'll be something between 80 and 95.

m4st4

Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End |OT| No Place for Chloe's Butt
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End |OT| Even Better than the Real Thing
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End |OT| Kinky Adventures of Sully and Siri
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End |OT| DRUCKMAAAAAAAAAAANNN!
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End |OT| ...Marco? ...No? ...Druckmaaan!
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End |OT| Sic Parvis Magna, powered by TLOU
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End |OT| Made by The Bearded Folks

Nere

Wow, 15 hours is nice.

I really want to play through all the Uncharted games someday. I'm waiting for the collection and Uncharted 4 to go down in price. Then one day I'll buy all of them and play through them in a month. It'll be my adventure month.

Both Super Mario galaxy 1 & 2 have 97 Metascore, don't forget those.

DKHF

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You know Sully, we really are the last game to score over 95 on Metacritic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom