• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 review embargo lifts May 5 at 12 AM PST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blobbers

My gut told me Ratchet would settle at 85 and Quantum Break would end up somewhere between 76-82. That's two for two, pretty much.

Now my gut is telling me Uncharted 4 settles at 94, no more, no less.
I think people getting excited for high 70s and low 80s are setting themselves for disappointment. Uncharted 4 is gonna be a true next gen game, worthy of being a 2016 title, unlike Quantum Break, that seems like something that came from 2009.

reKon

Banned
I think the game will be great but the metacritic will be around 85, almost for sure. (which is still great, just not Uncharted 2 levels of great)

I just don't think that after 3 entries they can impress us as much anymore and the new "features" of the game don't seem that much of a game changer (some might actually be for the worst IMO, like the "free roaming" bits).

Hoping for good reviews though since I know ND puts a ton of effort into every game!

I have absolutely no idea how people are concluding this with all the gameplay impressions we'e seen, MP beta, the extra amount of time Sony has had to polish the game, and the review scores from the past two games that Bruce and Neil have directed. Also, like I've stated a bunch of times, the great franchises record are continuing to get great scores. See Witcher 3, Dark Souls 3, Ratchet and Clank, etc.

SomTervo

My gut told me Ratchet would settle at 85 and Quantum Break would end up somewhere between 76-82. That's two for two, pretty much.

Now my gut is telling me Uncharted 4 settles at 94, no more, no less.
I think people getting excited for high 70s and low 80s are setting themselves for disappointment. Uncharted 4 is gonna be a true next gen game, worthy of being a 2016 title, unlike Quantum Break, that seems like something that came from 2009.

2009 is unfair - more like 2012 (pre-TLoU) - but on-point otherwise!

why are people so excited about FF15 review thread?

I am not sure. If anything that thread is likely to be full of sadness, as the game misses the mark.

Sincerely hope I'm wrong, and I've always been among the most optimistic about SE turning it around, but SE is SE nowadays... I honestly don't think they have it in them.

Catdaddy

We get a sub-90 score, we'll see the fastest 100 page thread ever, and E3 levels of GAF crashes
okay - probably not

I'd figure a 94, excluding TLOU and GTA5 remasters no PS4 game has scored above 93. So I'll give it a point higher...just cause I have no idea...

I think the game will be great but the metacritic will be around 85, almost for sure. (which is still great, just not Uncharted 2 levels of great)

I just don't think that after 3 entries they can impress us as much anymore and the new "features" of the game don't seem that much of a game changer (some might actually be for the worst IMO, like the "free roaming" bits).

Hoping for good reviews though since I know ND puts a ton of effort into every game!

I wish it were possible to bet real money on this. With you apparently being so sure of around 85. I personally think that's a pretty bad prediction. It'll EASILY clear 85. Below 90 would be a surprise, though I guess 88 could be the floor with 95 being the ceiling.

2thepoint

Review thread 10 years in wating and it may be the last big budget FF game ever if it fails we probably won't see another one like this.

I don't see any reality where FF15 fails.

I haven't touched a Final Fantasy game ever and I played the Platinum demo and I'm now buying Day 1.

2thepoint

to be fair you've only seen and lived in one reality. unless you can travel through parallel universes....

I can actually traverse realities.

There is an alternate reality where Peter Moore stayed at Xbox and Playstation is now a spin-off company making mobile games for Konami.

Scary stuff.

I don't see any reality where FF15 fails.

I haven't touched a Final Fantasy game ever and I played the Platinum demo and I'm now buying Day 1.

I assure you that the latter reaction to the Platinum demo is far, far away from the middle of the bell curve. Wow....

pixelpatch

I'm looking forward to this game and I think as this is the last in the series I hope it blows us all away and is worth a 10/10. I like Troy Baker and Nolan North so looking forward to it

viHuGi

Banned
Review thread will be amazing but i will only review the reviews after playing the game.

With that said, some reviewers these days are a shame to videogame industry and should not be trusted, but most are still amazing sources of information and write amazing reviews.

DirtyLarry

Didnt really feel this was worthy of a new thread, but did anyone else preorder Uncharted 4 digitally? And if so, did you do it before the delay was announced?

Reason I ask is something is up with my digital preorder. Right now the game is not listed in my Library on my PS4, and is available to preorder on my PS4 as well. However when I check the Sony Store website, it says it is purchased. There is also a button that says Download to PS4, but when I click it, nothing happens, just keeps spinning.

I have contacted Sony support not once, but twice, and they claim I own it for sure, and not to worry, that it should show up two days before release. I just do not trust them.

I should also add I received an email back in February announcing the delay and it asked me to click a link to confirm I still wanted to keep my preorder. I did that, so not sure what is up.

Finally if I try and purchase the Deluxe Digital edition, which is just an upgrade of $20, it says I am not eligible. Another thing which leads me to believe their system does not have it preordered for me, even though it does.

So does anyone else have it preordered digitally from awhile back and are they seeing anything similar?

Sorry to go OT, but as I said did not really believe it was deserving of its own thread.

Cross posting from other thread.

Uncharted 4 : A Thief’s End ( A NEOGAF story mode review) – No Major Spoilers!

Completed on moderate difficulty – 15 hours (excluding cutscenes), 58 treasures collected

Alright, so let’s just put in a bit of perspective here so you all know where I’m coming from for this post. Been a fan of cinematic gaming experiences all my life, ever since they started. Uncharted released and I absolutely loved it. Sure it’s dated now and had some questionable designs, but it was the first time I ever felt like I was playing in an “Indiana Jones” like adventure film. Sure Indiana Jones games had come prior to Uncharted, along with Tomb Raider, but nothing gave me that feel like the first time I played Uncharted 1.  Then 2 comes out and just blows 1 away… followed by 3 releasing with some mixed reactions.  As I feel on that 3rd game, I prefer the variation in set pieces and variety of locations more than 2, but 2’s story/setting/and theme are much more solid and coherent.  Since Uncharted has come, its apparent Tomb Raider has followed in its cinematic footsteps and bigger and better seems to be a theme with these titles. I loved the new Tomb Raiders (as action games) and rightly so, they are entertaining and fun as well.  That said, my passions for this genre is high and I just can’t get enough of these games. This brings us up to the release of Uncharted 4 and my ability to grab an early copy, but what did I think at the end of my adventure?   

Uncharted 4 is a bold step in a more serious direction. Some people might be freaking out thinking that “oh no, they turned Nate into a serious character, void of all humor” no, no, no.   While the story here gets more personally than ever before and is darker with more serious overtones, it still have the summer blockbuster cinematic flair and style that the other games did, along with the humor.  I laughed consistently throughout the adventure, but at the same time there were moments I was genuinely concerned about the relationships Nate has. While some of you out there might think this is pertaining to people being in trouble, etc… no it’s not anything like that. The way these characters come together and some of the stuff going on in the background is what got me thinking, relating, and taking Drake more serious than ever before but also concerned. It’s really hard to describe without going into spoiler territory but rest assured, one moment I laughed, then some moments later, I was hit with much more somber thoughts.  That’s all I’ll say about the story, aside from one aspect, the ending… and I thought it was the perfect way to finish the franchise. The rest I leave my lips sealed.

Gamplay here has been tweaked even more. Shooting feels extremely well and the feedback from enemies getting hit and the weight and sound of weapons “feels good” little details like the strap of a gun, flailing around when firing is a small detail but just thrilled me to see that in the game at all. The attention in the detail is great.  The flow of shooting, to melee, to grappling with a hook all feel rather seamless and add to the intensity of fights.  Especially as of now that there is much more verticality to the experience and with wider environments.  The start of the game, in particular, feels much like the other Uncharted, more linear in nature, and plus a lot of character exposition and story building.  Combat doesn’t even kick into play right away. It’s a gradual buildup. I’d even go as far to say that chapter 1 through 7 are sort of a tutorial/buildup and more in vein with the original games in size and scope. When chapter 8 comes, the training wheels are thrown off and things just get bigger, better, and more robust. This is where Naughty Dog simply unleashes the real meat and potatoes of the game and how different these moments feel suited with the new gameplay mechanics.  Huge fire fights, stealth gameplay, the grapple, all can come into play during some of these huge explosive moments. Which also never really feel like wave after wave of bad guys.  At least not at the start or for the most of the game. They did a great balance of making the fights seem more naturally occurring and more set to each specific location.  Also you can surely play this like a third person cover shooter, but doing so might provide you less of an experience then if you take true advantage of the combat mechanics at play.  It’s simply wonderful. The AI will try and flank you at times, or go straight towards you depending on if you’re hiding, blind firing, etc. Nothing plain, but also not exactly super different then what most players expect these days. The bullet sponge effect that the other games had also feels mostly gone. Sure late you start running into enemies that are more protected, but even then, they can be taken down much quicker if you have the knowledge how or their weak point.  Still this ties back into the player feedback with shooting and it just feels great to aim and shoot in this game. You can even do so while swinging on a grapple, or jumping off a ledge.  What about vehicle control? Those are fairly solid as well.  I can’t really complain and I think they have some very cool ways of making it feel like players are actually using a jeep for off-roading and not just as a form of transportation.  Let’s also talk exploration.  Uncharted prior always had little path ways to check but were pretty linear in nature or hall like even at moments, maybe small little action hubs even.  Uncharted 4 blows those out of the water to reveal some truly awesome locations to explore and different ways to get to those locations in the process. It makes treasure hunting fun, but also intense and much harder than before. Some levels had me scouring everywhere I could before I eventually moved on in defeat.  I’ll be back for those for sure! Some I found were in tricky spots, others just sort of casually sitting there. Luckily chapter select shows how many treasures remain along with journal entries and optional dialog moments. I missed a bit of everything and surprisingly so as I felt pretty thorough.  All this said, I couldn’t really ask for more from a gameplay perspective.  Some folks are worried that due to some comments about set pieces not being as  “bombastic” as the other games means there is a lack of these moments and I’m assuring you, there is no shortage of holy shit moments in this game, which a few had me screaming at my tv at what was happening on it display. So please don’t worry on that. Also puzzles, they are back and more in depth or elaborate then 1 or 2. Think more on part 3 levels. They take a back seat towards the end of the game mostly aside from one moment or two, but very well done and really enjoyable, a great maturing of that element in their games. 

Graphically the game looks amazing. The lighting can at times just make locations and character look photo realistic. Yes sometimes things don’t look AS good as they do at other times but for the majority the game just is a site to behold. Can’t tell you how many vistas I’ve seen and moments I was breathless. Even enemies are highly detailed as I’ve seen in photo mode shots, which is going to be a feature many people use. This could be called Photo mode, the game! It’s hard to talk about this without spoiling things but just know, the amount of variety and depth in locations and exploring along with the insane visuals is just something to treasure. Sound wise I think the VA is great as usually and it really sells the more serious tones at times along with the humor. The sounds of guns and effects is what you’d expect. The music, while I really like it, does feel a bit different due to different composers, but I still felt it was extremely appropriate for the setting and along with what’s happening on screen. The main battle music I really enjoyed.  

I got a whole heaping shit ton of praise for this game but I’m going to wrap this up. Uncharted 4 A Thief’s end is not a perfect game.  It has a few moments I took some issues with.  The start of the game is fairly heavy handed in cut scenes and story. Along with the more limited grandeur of levels at first and their play times, could get people thinking “what have you done to my Uncharted” rest assured, make it to chapter 8 and your doubts will start to melt away.  So while it’s great for story and setting the game up, some might feel it’s a bit too little early on. That said there is still exploration, action, and intrigue all over those first 7 chapters, fear not. I think another issues some will have is with *you knew I was going to say this* the final boss encounter. I was visually blown away by it but I think some won’t care for the gameplay element at that point (will be interesting to hear others thoughts on that) A final note, the game runs smooth as hell looking as it does which is mighty impressive, but there was a few times I saw some framerate slowdown, sometimes due to battle, or sometimes simply for finding an area I’m exploring and turning the camera and running just caused it to chug. A little distracting but ultimately something that didn’t seem to rear its ugly head too often.  . So hmm… let me think…. Yeah that’s about all the qualms I have with Uncharted 4.  I have to say, currently as I’m typing this and letting the end results play over again in my head since finishing last night. This is definitely in my top 5 games of all time and my favorite third person shooter ever.  Alan Wake, Quantum Break, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Vaquish, Binary Domain, Uncharted 1-3, The Evil Within,  The Last of Us… all games I’ve truly enjoyed and loved and had a great time with (in various manners of enjoyment)… but this just blows them all away for me personally. From graphics to gameplay, combat scenarios, set pieces, puzzles, and story…. Uncharted 4 is the first system seller of this new console generation! If I didn’t have a PS4, I’d have to buy one for this, and everyone that doesn’t, I tell them they need to experience this game! I can’t get over how much this games story elements hit me, how I related to it in some subtle ways, and just how it all came to a close.  Bravo Naughty Dog, you are truly amazing at your craft and a pioneer in cinematic gaming.  I’ve yet to even get to experience the MP, but it could suck for all I know (it probably won’t) and still… I’d give this a 10 out of 10! 

Thanks for the review. How is the game difficulty at moderate?

Def died a lot. Those moments of huge battles can really challenge at times. Lots of bad guys all around.

Thanks. Is that your official score?

As official as it can be on a forum lol

Wow, excellent review man.

Bravo

Thanks, it's a bit sloppy and all over the place but was a write up I did off and on at work in the office all day.

Wow Slasher, it took you 15 hours excluding cutscenes? Holy moly, this game is nice and meaty! :D

Yep. Very great length, don't let the shorter earlier chapters fool you.

reKon

Banned
I kind of don't want reviews posted here because there's always a chance that someone gets the wrong idea and spoils it without meaning it. I need this thread to be a safe zone because I don't trust the other UC4 thread.

NateDrake

I kind of don't want reviews posted here because there's always a chance that someone gets the wrong idea and spoils it without meaning it. I need this thread to be a safe zone because I don't trust the other UC4 thread.

Official reviews can't spoil anything. We can't discuss a lot of stuff in the review. Not sure if that gives you peace of mind....

Doesn't matter to me, but I doubt this is the case. If something like RoTR can get an 86, there's no way Uncharted 4 isn't hitting 90+.

Is Hard (or whatever it's called) harder than in 2? How about 3?

Just wondering if I should start on Hard this time. I've been playing 1-3 for the past ew days, on Hard, so I'm in a pretty good rhythm. Normal might be too easy in 4 in this situation.

A tough decision. One can never get back the magic of that first play-through.

NateDrake

Is Hard (or whatever it's called) harder than in 2? How about 3?

Just wondering if I should start on Hard this time. I've been playing 1-3 for the past ew days, on Hard, so I'm in a pretty good rhythm. Normal might be too easy in 4 in this situation.

A tough decision. One can never get back the magic of that first play-through.

Moderate offers a good challenge for starting off. Anything easier than that would be child's play.

15 hours excluding cut scenes sounds almost too long lol

That's way longer than expected, but I'm definitely happy about that, haha

So does anyone want to discuss OT titles? I have a few I came up with and one another GAFer gave me, but I'm totally open to suggestions! I've been having a tough time deciding what to name it.

Here are the ones I've got so far:

Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End |OT| One Last Adventure
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End |OT| Drake’s Delay
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End |OT| Back In the Game After Months of Delays
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End |OT| Raiders of the Lost Art

Moderate offers a good challenge for starting off. Anything easier than that would be child's play.

So you're saying that starting off on Hard (as opposed to Moderate) would be a mistake for the first playthrough? Despite finding Hard in U2 and U3 quite nice?

I'm having difficulty forming sentences. I need sleep.

Daft Punk

Banned
That's way longer than expected, but I'm definitely happy about that, haha

So does anyone want to discuss OT titles? I have a few I came up with and one another GAFer gave me, but I'm totally open to suggestions! I've been having a tough time deciding what to name it.

Here are the ones I've got so far:

Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End |OT| One Last Adventure
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End |OT| Drake’s Delay
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End |OT| Back In the Game After Months of Delays
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End |OT| Raiders of the Lost Art

I thought it was Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End |OT| One Last Time

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!

What about enemy markers etc.. Do you recommend disabling them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom